Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gradenmayer

Learned
Nothing wrong with being a nerd though.
The greatest and most influential games were made by nerds.
Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check
Not anymore. Now everything is shit.

It's time to stop playing games.
Are you being serious? You cant really think the state of gaming is that bad

Whats your top 3 favorite games, I am interested in what you enjoy
I don't enjoy any games anymore. It's over. But if you must know, it's nothing newer than 10 years old.

Fallout: New Vegas was the last RPG I liked.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was the last shooter.
I can't even think of a third game. Everything else I enjoyed was much older (Fallout 1, Original Resident Evil trilogy, Baldur's Gate 2, etc)

I've played a few games since then but they are all time wasting until something actually good might come around. Which it WON'T. BG3 looks fucking shit.
If you didn’t like any game that came out in last 5 years- you don’t enjoy games anymore. It’s time to give it up and retire, old man (or go and make your own game).

Gradenmayer

Learned
:philosoraptor:

Anyone else has the impression that Larian has nearly all the skills to be an amazing RPG studio, but they just refuse to do it as a part of their design philosophy?

Larian is the picture of a competent cRPG studio.

Everything they do wrong (writing, art style, etc) is not indicative of a lack of skill, but rather an intentional preference.
Indeed, no day and night cycle, but deep romance and the bear cause thats whats exactly people want according this thread. They could do it but know exactly what the customers want instead.
Day and night is kind of a ridiculous thing to add with Shadow monk and Assassin being a class.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
I had return after few days and what I see again? 80% post about zoophilia and 20% mechanic autism.
Hey now, don't talk trash about mechanics discussers. Those guys have saved me from having countless frustration/rage induced brain aneurysms over the years. Thanks to mechanics discussers, we don't have to do any math at all. They're heroes and I would gladly do a romance with any one of them.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I had return after few days and what I see again? 80% post about zoophilia and 20% mechanic autism.
Hey now, don't talk trash about mechanics discussers. Those guys have saved me from having countless frustration/rage induced brain aneurysms over the years. Thanks to mechanics discussers, we don't have to do any math at all. They're heroes and I would gladly do a romance with any one of them.

I'm not against discussions about mechanic, just like I'm not against discussions about zoophiliain modern gaming. But not on this level of nitpicking and not that repetitive.

Sorry, not gonna discuss this further. I find people who give everything the most uncharitable reading and are paranoid about political messaging incredibly irritating and I don't care whether it's coming from the Sarkeesians and Kotakus of this world, who interpret everything as racist, sexist and homophobic, or from some screeching right-wing Trumptards who suspect a wokester under every bed. You all suck and fuck your political tribalism. You can interpret fucking everything as an allegory in an unfavourable way if you've got an agenda to push.

The writing in BG1 is fucking ass, they couldn't even keep their tone consistent between whacky anachronistic nonsense that sounds like it was ripped from some shitty Steve Urkel sitcom and people rambling in Ye Olde English. If you want to let your political crystal ball decide whether writing is good or bad based on the asumed political motivations of the writers then be my guest, but at least be aware that this isn't really the quality of the writing at issue here, just your own politial hang-ups.
I tend to agree, this constant assuming that creativity, bad writing or something like game design must have a US culture wars link is tiresome, banal and unconvincing

But this type of comparison is more specific to places like Codex and what some people think. If you just look at most of the BG3 videos they about things that most gamers care about. The game and its mechanics. I normally just ignore the obsession with culture war garbage unless its a political debate
even over on 4chan, sperg central, people are more levelheaded when discussing this game. that should tell you something :lol:
https://boards.4channel.org/vg/thread/437989247
it's all people who actually want to play the game. codex worse than 4chan confirmed. at least you can block the worst spergs here. :salute:

Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check

I don't enjoy any games anymore. It's over. But if you must know, it's nothing newer than 10 years old.

I can't even think of a third game. Everything else I enjoyed was much older (Fallout 1, Original Resident Evil trilogy, Baldur's Gate 2, etc)

I've played a few games since then but they are all time wasting until something actually good might come around. Which it WON'T. BG3 looks fucking shit.
i knew you were insane, but sucking jew vegas' dick while crying about bg3 is the height of irony and insanity. take a fucking pill bro :lol: you're just a cranky old fuck.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Sorry, not gonna discuss this further. I find people who give everything the most uncharitable reading and are paranoid about political messaging incredibly irritating and I don't care whether it's coming from the Sarkeesians and Kotakus of this world, who interpret everything as racist, sexist and homophobic, or from some screeching right-wing Trumptards who suspect a wokester under every bed. You all suck and fuck your political tribalism. You can interpret fucking everything as an allegory in an unfavourable way if you've got an agenda to push.

The writing in BG1 is fucking ass, they couldn't even keep their tone consistent between whacky anachronistic nonsense that sounds like it was ripped from some shitty Steve Urkel sitcom and people rambling in Ye Olde English. If you want to let your political crystal ball decide whether writing is good or bad based on the asumed political motivations of the writers then be my guest, but at least be aware that this isn't really the quality of the writing at issue here, just your own politial hang-ups.
I tend to agree, this constant assuming that creativity, bad writing or something like game design must have a US culture wars link is tiresome, banal and unconvincing

But this type of comparison is more specific to places like Codex and what some people think. If you just look at most of the BG3 videos they about things that most gamers care about. The game and its mechanics. I normally just ignore the obsession with culture war garbage unless its a political debate
even over on 4chan, sperg central, people are more levelheaded when discussing this game. that should tell you something :lol:
it's all people who actually want to play the game. codex worse than 4chan confirmed. at least you can block the worst spergs here. :salute:

4chaner Simp:

Shadowheart's kind, loving, patient, and loyal wife Tav....

Singing to Shadowheart by the campfire after a long day of fighting bad guys....

Writing a ballad about Shadowheart's heroic deeds saving Baldur's Gate from the dastardly cult of the absolute...

Embarking on Shadowheart's quest to discover her memories, and then making new ones, together....

Cuddling with Shadowheart and suddenly she whispers to you her real name....

Shadowheart running her fingers through your hair as you sit and watch the stars together, then she says she's happy that she can finally appreciate the moon now that she has escaped from Shar's deceptions...

Using your reaction to jump in front of an arrow that met or exceeded her armor class....

Getting Loviatar's blessing from the priest in the fort and Shadowheart liked watching that so she tells you that you need to do it again every night in order to keep the blessing, and that she happily volunteers to help you....

Using your adventuring money to buy the nicest wine in Baldur's Gate for your date at the lake with Shadowheart....but then reminding her that it's dangerous to drink and swim because you love her and care about her safety more than you value looking cool....

Using detect thoughts to find out what Shadowheart's favorite camp meal is, and then always collecting those camp supplies....no, that's an invasion of privacy, I will never use magic or tadpoles to look at Shadowheart's mind, I'll just ask her normally....

Taking proficiency and then expertise in chef's tools at character creation so you can always make the yummiest meals for your wife Shadowheart....

I put that this way: lel

cpmartins

Cipher

Ah 4chan, the imageboard that is literally controlled opposition. What a great place. Did you know that when retardjap took over you couldn't say the name of hillary clinton's campaign manager on /pol/? What a great place.
Totally worth your time I'm sure.

Ah 4chan, the imageboard that is literally controlled opposition. What a great place. Did you know that when retardjap took over you couldn't say the name of hillary clinton's campaign manager on /pol/? What a great place.
Totally worth your time I'm sure.
only retards give a fuck about american politics. sorry to deliver the bad news. how did you even get from bg3 to some random pol shit:stupid:

Mortmal

Arcane
Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check

If you didn’t like any game that came out in last 5 years- you don’t enjoy games anymore. It’s time to give it up and retire, old man (or go and make your own game).
Nah, ancient games were much more focused on gameplay, and they don't feel the same as gaming in the 90s and 2000s. It's natural to not feel excited anymore after experiencing what it was like back then. Many old codexers feel the same way. Nowadays, we have super high-budget gorgeous games, but they're often too mainstream. However, it's still possible to find such games, although they are very rare. For example, lately, the Alien Descent game or Stasis Bone Totem are worth checking out. You could also join other old farts on the Codex 7 Days to Die server.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check

Nah, ancient games were much more focused on gameplay, and they don't feel the same as gaming in the 90s and 2000s. It's natural to not feel excited anymore after experiencing what it was like back then. Many old codexers feel the same way. Nowadays, we have super high-budget gorgeous games, but they're often too mainstream. However, it's still possible to find such games, although they are very rare. For example, lately, the Alien Descent game or Stasis Bone Totem are worth checking out. You could also join other old farts on the Codex 7 Days to Die server.
He listed New Vegas, Bad Company 2 and RE as his favourite games, dude. Why you bring up ancient games?

Gradenmayer

Learned
It's kinda funny, when I tried to rewrite the BG3 story to turn it into a decent movie, it looked FAR better than what original developers did.
You have a script for the game? Because I have no clue what the main story of the game is,
past early access.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It's kinda funny, when I tried to rewrite the BG3 story to turn it into a decent movie, it looked FAR better than what original developers did.
You have a script for the game? Because I have no clue what the main story of the game is,
past early access.

"PC and bunch od weirdos want to remove alien tadpoles from thier brains. The have a lot of adventures along the way".

Mortmal

Arcane
Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check

He listed New Vegas, Bad Company 2 and RE as his favourite games, dude. Why you bring up ancient games?
The games he likes follow the old rule being gameplay first . And really new vegas is 2010 , that's starting to get very old too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
past early access.
I rewrote beginning to be properly kickass, and then just continued with story. Horrible nasty plot hatched by Mindflayers and Githianky, and then several factions vying over that stuff that mindflayers made.

Mixed with humoristic scenes about travel with one of the most conspicuous vampire possible. And with sensible explanation what Githianky actually wanted on that ship when they so important they used whole 3 red dragons.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

You should really give "Solasta" a try dude. "Stolen Realm" is also really good if you're a combat fag like me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom