Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Nothing wrong with being a nerd though.
The greatest and most influential games were made by nerds.
Doom? Check
Quake? Also Check
Fallout? Check
Thief? Check
Not anymore. Now everything is shit.

It's time to stop playing games.
Are you being serious? You cant really think the state of gaming is that bad

Whats your top 3 favorite games, I am interested in what you enjoy
I don't enjoy any games anymore. It's over. But if you must know, it's nothing newer than 10 years old.

Fallout: New Vegas was the last RPG I liked.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was the last shooter.
I can't even think of a third game. Everything else I enjoyed was much older (Fallout 1, Original Resident Evil trilogy, Baldur's Gate 2, etc)

I've played a few games since then but they are all time wasting until something actually good might come around. Which it WON'T. BG3 looks fucking shit.
If you didn’t like any game that came out in last 5 years- you don’t enjoy games anymore. It’s time to give it up and retire, old man (or go and make your own game).
Nah, ancient games were much more focused on gameplay, and they don't feel the same as gaming in the 90s and 2000s. It's natural to not feel excited anymore after experiencing what it was like back then. Many old codexers feel the same way. Nowadays, we have super high-budget gorgeous games, but they're often too mainstream. However, it's still possible to find such games, although they are very rare. For example, lately, the Alien Descent game or Stasis Bone Totem are worth checking out. You could also join other old farts on the Codex 7 Days to Die server.

I find that there is more than enough today to keep a person with a full time job and either a family or a modicum of social life satisfied.
You know where you are ? You see the big banner on this site, you see what is written ? RPGCODEX . Rethink what you just wrote, think deeply, and ask yourself if what you just said is appropriate.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Rhobar121

Scholar
The only reason why DA:I didn't become total shit is because it came out before Witcher 3 (also the worst year for an RPG). if the game come out a few months later, its reception would have been much worse.
Bioware was smashed in its own category by a bunch of Belgians.

I see this differently.

Wither 3 never was an RPG, but a slasher gamer with a fun story. Dragon Age Inquisition was a success because:

a) Early Twitter era
b) Early woke era
c) Being part of a successful brand.
d) Biodrones
e) General lack of public awareness.
The year DA:I came out was probably the worst year in the last 10 years.
The game literally had no competition and this was a time when the Bioware brand still meant something.
If I remember correctly only Shadow of Mordor, Borderlands, Banner Saga, South Park and DoS1 came out this year.
These are probably the most important games that did not turn out to be a failure.
These were dark times when Skyrim was still considered the model of an AAA RPG.

Drakortha

Liturgist

I see this differently.

Wither 3 never was an RPG, but a slasher gamer with a fun story. Dragon Age Inquisition was a success because:

a) Early Twitter era
b) Early woke era
d) Biodrones

Now is better (slighlty)
Larian Fags are essentially Biodrones who have now jumped ship from Dragon Age over to BG3. They are exactly Larians target audience.

It is sad as fucking shit that Larian couldn't or wouldn't develop a BG3 that stood out from that horseshit franchise. Instead, Larian tried to emulate it.

I wonder how many sales they would need to break even? Swen spent so much on this fucking game...
Last I heard the development budget is allegedly over 100 million dollars without marketing costs, so a lot.

I honestly thought the game was going to flop, because it was barely in the top 100 and nobody was really talking about it, but then came the bear video and it catapulted the game to #1.

All said, Swen is either completely insane or an absolute genius. Maybe both. ^^

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I must admint, portait posted in the same 4chan theread is pretty decent and fitting into BG1 and BG2.

aNLRvdp.png
It's an actual tragedy that all this bear fuckery has gotten in the way of talking about one of the real problems; our characters don't use 2D (customizable) portraits.

edit:
I honestly thought the game was going to flop, because it was barely in the top 100 and nobody was really talking about it, but then came the bear video and it catapulted the game to #1.
The game was the no.1 selling game for weeks when EA was launched (or at least in the top 3). It simply rebounded back to top position after all these years, so I don't think sales will be disappointing.

Mortmal

Arcane
The only reason why DA:I didn't become total shit is because it came out before Witcher 3 (also the worst year for an RPG). if the game come out a few months later, its reception would have been much worse.

I see this differently.

a) Early Twitter era
b) Early woke era
d) Biodrones
Still is and sadly it's even the only rpg in VR i can remember, besides a few shitty lackluster indies i would not recommend.

Modron

Arcane
Still is and sadly it's even the only rpg in VR i can remember, besides a few shitty lackluster indies i would not recommend.
Probably will be the only one. There are less people who own VR headsets on steam than people who use macs for gaming. 1.79% of users versus 1.73%.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I see this differently.

a) Early Twitter era
b) Early woke era
d) Biodrones

Skyrim's ins't a bad game. Only overhyped by mentally challenged.
Probably will be the only one. There are less people who own VR headsets on steam than people who use macs for gaming. 1.79% of users versus 1.73%.

What with this?

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes, it is still small on PC, but there is nothing preventing us from having some quality standalone games on Quest 2. I would be very happy with something low-poly with depth, like Ultima Underworld. Arx Fatalis was also running on hardware inferior to the Quest 2, which is roughly 100 times more powerful than its minimum specs.
Alas there's no will.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I don't know if somebody put this there (if answer is "yes" - well. schucks), but there is a new gameplay recordings and informations about few vital topics (like quality of combat from 2 Act):

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Reminder that before Cyberpunk was released, numerous Youtube shills got early access to the game and repeatedly stated it was the most groundbreaking open world RPG of all time.
You know who else got early media screenings? Hitler.
Time for sanctions on Belgium methinks.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Reminder that before Cyberpunk was released, numerous Youtube shills got early access to the game and repeatedly stated it was the most groundbreaking open world RPG of all time.
Larian is not cdpr.
Why don't you suck Larian's dick some more?

You're right, Larian is not CDPR. The same way cat shit is not dog shit. They both look different and produce a different, distinct smell. But at last, they are both SHIT!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom