Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
I concur that most design decisions are extremely disappointing. But the framework for an eccellent game is there and I trust in mods to bring the best the game can offer.
And that's just a sad fact about games today, isn't it?

I just want a game that's worth my time. And it should be from the moment I've handed over my hard earned money for it. I'm sick and tired of this early access trash that gets a free pass on quality and games that need 100 mods before they are fun or even just bearable to play.

That's why the games industry is in the terrible shape that it's in. But the Fags will point at the Steam sales statistics and say the industry is in the best shape it's ever been. They don't get it. Then they will scrutinize me for having an opinion on BG3 when I haven't even played the early access. Yeah, because I'm not dumb enough to pay full price to be a beta tester.

Last edited:

Takamori

Learned
I concur that most design decisions are extremely disappointing. But the framework for an eccellent game is there and I trust in mods to bring the best the game can offer.

I just want a game that's worth my time. And it should be from the moment I've handed over my hard earned money for it. I'm sick and tired of this early access trash that gets a free pass on quality and games that need 100 mods before they are fun or even just bearable to play. That's why the games industry is in the terrible shape that it's in. But the Fags will point at the Steam sales statistics and say the industry in the best shape it's ever been. They don't get it.
No game will be worth your time, you want something from the 90s and that wont make a return ever again. Market changed, the consumer base changed.
From all practices that could be applied we are lucky in this situation, no season pass, DLC, Premium content, 70 bucks price tag.
The companies don't care about the Grognard nitpicky profile, its like 1% of the pie and I'm being really generous with this estimate. As much people want to deny that financial success is irrelevant, its not. We live in capitalism people will keep doing stuff that rewards money while cutting the maximum available in costs to produce such product.
Why the fuck I would produce a product that will only please 1% of my userbase? Why I would go through a 100 million bucks risk for this small public?
Either you accept the new conditions for CRPGs, keep playing the old game that you used to enjoy or find a new hobby.

Drakortha

Liturgist
We live in capitalism people will keep doing stuff that rewards money while cutting the maximum available in costs to produce such product. Why the fuck I would produce a product that will only please 1% of my userbase? Why I would go through a 100 million bucks risk for this small public?
Why can't they do both?

2 words,

No innovation.

Drakortha

Liturgist
In a perfect world, developers who can't think outside the box and bring something new and innovative should be dead in the water. Instead we have an industry where developers just have to look at whats trendy and imitate it. BG3 to me is just monkey see, monkey do. It saw Dragon Age doing a dance and it decided to try to do the same dance.

Takamori

Learned
Why the fuck I would produce a product that will only please 1% of my userbase? Why I would go through a 100 million bucks risk for this small public?
Why can't they do both?

2 words.

No innovation.
Because probably in the financial meeting it was judged that doing a hardcore experience will actually make you lose customers and not being worth the risk.
Fuck I bashed the living shit out of their combat changes and that could be done in a modular customization, but you must be asking why the fuck I'm still playing this game and its because of the roleplay aspects and the reactivity it offers enough for me to keep playing this game and no other game did this. We could argue that I'm almost buying a Visual Novel with multiple playthrough at this point but it would fall in the discussion what defines an RPG. Disco Elysium got a pass and the game is just roleplaying choices.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think is dumbed down nor forgiving. I played the EA is easy to get steamrolled by ennemies. Also the gameplay is very Dynamic. You have a lot of ways to deal with a situation. The A.I is actually pretty good.
Did you see that they're allowing multiclassing without any prerequisites for the class?

Any fighter - low INT or not - can now be a mage instantly.

Takamori

Learned
In a perfect world, developers who can't think outside the box and bring something new and innovative should be dead in the water. Instead we have an industry where developers just have to look at whats trendy and imitate it. BG3 to me is just monkey see, monkey do. It saw Dragon Age doing a dance and it decided to try to do the same dance.
I dont agree with this statement, several indie games that I played and provided hundred of hours in entertainment. AAA industry is stagnated but AA and indie they are surely trying their best. People take a shit in Owlcat games, they are a fucking developer in Russia with 120 people going above and beyond their scope. I think people are being unreasonable with other attempts into innovation.

Fuck AAA devs crying because Larian is releasing BG3, you are gonna tell me they are not innovating? If it was something so cookie cutter you wouldn't see people crying about it.

Darth Valer

Literate
To be honest I'm quite happy with Larian's EA and the money I gave them. Of course it'd be preferable to have excellent games published in a good state from day one, but considering how the development process of videogames has evolved it's reasonable to go the Larian's path.

My first EA run lasted almost 40 hours, and I didn't even reach the Underdark, that has been even expanded with whole new areas and questlines these last few years, so it could be argued I almost got my money's worth from that only.

Moreover Larian actually got parts of the feedback it received, and as insane as it sounds it seems they wouldn't have implemented the reaction system were it not for the userbase constant (and legitimate) whining.

Personally I always try to encourage new cRPGs considering the atrocious decline they've faced in the 2010s. I preordered Elex 2 to support PB even though I had no trust in them and in fact the game is so underoptimized my 3060 Ti is at risk of burning when playing it, but I'd do it again if it means I've helped grow the niche I like.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Because probably in the financial meeting it was judged that doing a hardcore experience will actually make you lose customers and not being worth the risk.
Probably. Let's not forget that originally, they didn't even plan to have multiple difficulty settings, and the skillcheck rolls were more random.

That changed once people started playing the EA and whining that the rolls weren't fair, so the biased them towards positive rolls by default. You have to go into the options menu to uncheck it. Another way it's dumbed down, Mebrilia the Viera Queen.

Takamori

Learned
Probably. Let's not forget that originally, they didn't even plan to have multiple difficulty settings, and the skillcheck rolls were more random.

That changed once people started playing the EA and whining that the rolls weren't fair, so the biased them towards positive rolls by default. You have to go into the options menu to uncheck it. Another way it's dumbed down, Mebrilia the Viera Queen.
That goes back to my post at the start of this production they had one customer profile in mind, but they saw the data from this people whining over the unfair rolls and probably profiled as casual players 40 yo dads with 503532784793249832 kids and 400 jobs so he only has 1 hour per day and data indicated that tapping in their profile will net more profits and guarantee the success of this product. Fast forward we are seeing this being translated in steam sales.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
objectively its an interactive movie
Objectively, you're a joke.
The nonlinear quest design, branching, and reactivity is punching far above what any other developer is offering, all of this being done with a proper PNP ruleset too (inb4 AD&D 2E ONLY!11!! cringe).
Stick to complaining about the bear sex, uninformed dullard.

Ill complain about whatever I want shit-eater

The nonlinear quest design, branching, and reactivity is punching far above what any other developer is offering

Marketing buzzwords that live rent-free in your head, meaning of which is long forgotten

nowadays RPGs are reduced to CYOA booklets because of absolute monkeys like this

all of this being done with a proper PNP ruleset too

a "proper" ruleset further dumbed down to accomodate the lowest common IQ monkey in the room

"In order to allow all your wildest dream class combinations, we've removed Ability Score Prerequisites. So there's no more need to get your Charisma up to a pesky 13 if you decide to make a soul pact with a playful archfey or dangerous fiend."

story mode is already in, respec also. Whats next? Autoplay? For retards who dont know how to use mouse

Drakortha

Liturgist
I've got to point and laugh for a minute at the people claiming BG3 has good AI.

The AI in BG3 and the Orginal Sin games is no different than the intelligence you encounter in computer Checkers. All it does it calculate moves and tries to be as efficient as possible while doing so, while occasionally purposely doing some unpredictable or dumb shit to try to sell it to the player that they aren't just up against a computer opponent.

You want to see good AI in a game? Look at The Sims 2. I am convinced that the people who engineered that game immediately left the industry afterwards to start a career in real AI technologies. The games industry didn't deserve that kind of talent. Nothing has come close in games ever since.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I dont agree with this statement, several indie games that I played and provided hundred of hours in entertainment. AAA industry is stagnated but AA and indie they are surely trying their best. People take a shit in Owlcat games, they are a fucking developer in Russia with 120 people going above and beyond their scope. I think people are being unreasonable with other attempts into innovation.
I would forgive Owlcat more if they weren't so determined to make tranny games. I know this is Pathfinder, but the devs themselves are clearly some kind of weird faggots. (In before another libshit cries for 2 pages because I'm bringing up the political stuff Owlcuck put in the game themselves.)

That and they do things like put in 200 classes, but have bugs in half of them. I can respect some level of trying hard, but there's a point that it becomes bad development due to wishful thinking.
Fuck AAA devs crying because Larian is releasing BG3, you are gonna tell me they are not innovating? If it was something so cookie cutter you wouldn't see people crying about it.
I would call even doing a turn-based RPG with AAA cinematic production quality innovative.

Drakortha says they're copying Dragon Age, but the last DA game came out almost 10 years ago, and it was realtime, just like every Dragon Age has been realtime.

It's ironic that if they really were ripping off Dragon Age, people like Drakortha would be happy, since then it'd be RTwP.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The best part is that people are STILL complaining about missing attacks and having to rest after every fight to restore spells

So the game is gonna get even more stupid

Clearly shows when you start walking this path of making everything streamlined and dumbed down, there is no escape. Its never enough for these people, same as for SJWs

Rhobar121

Scholar
The best part is that people are STILL complaining about missing attacks and having to rest after every fight to restore spells

So the game is gonna get even more stupid

Clearly shows when you start walking this path of making everything streamlined and dumbed down, there is no escape. Its never enough for these people, same as for SJWs
That's why you have difficulty levels in games.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

No.
First of the weighted dice is an option you can disable.
Second in the early early access you had not a system to take in account about skills spells and even inspiration during a dialogue.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Marketing buzzwords that live rent-free in your head, meaning of which is long forgotten

nowadays RPGs are reduced to CYOA booklets because of absolute monkeys like this
not an argument + cope + just pre-ordered 3 more copies + Colony Ship GOTY (gonna do pacifist run next!!)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
good goy

thats why we have rpg decline

good obedient retards who swallow every mere breadcrumb thrown their way

keep giving devs a free pass and getting fucked over

Late Bloomer

Scholar
You are hating because is cool to hate.
I know this was directed at Drakortha but you can't be serious? This game has been getting universal praise, everywhere. Here as much as reddit and resetera, along with all journalist. This is the first day, here anyways, (since the degernates have quieted down) that it is closer to 50/50. It is very much not cool to hate this game.

we are lucky in this situation, no season pass, DLC, Premium content, 70 bucks price tag.
Holy shit. 70 dollar price tag for a new game is mostly new and you think everyone is lucky? Fucking hell.

We could argue that I'm almost buying a Visual Novel with multiple playthrough at this point
Very well said. Which combined with your previous quote, makes this game the most expensive visual novel in existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom