Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Been watching videos of BG3 and I have yet to see anything that has impressed me so far.

Can anyone explain to me what is so impressive about this? So far I heard that you can climb on stuff...yeah...ok.

Environments look like every other RPG made in the last 15 years. Dialogue looks boring like every BioWaste game ever made. UI looks derivative (skill & spell icons look stupid AF), the skill check mini game looks like it will get annoying, and of course this world looks nothing like the D&D that Arneson & Gygax created, or even BG1 & BG2 for that matter. Everything is way too shiny, and there is way too much racial multiculturalism for the Faerun setting.

I hated D:OA 1&2. Boring, long winded dialogue/story, and a silly, practically comical game world. Lariat is the most underrated developer, maybe ever, IMO.
Rolls checks are exactly like in DnD a feature that the old games were lacking. There was little character agency that was not combat related in the old games. That somehow shifted with the old fallout,planescape and nwn.

Also bad dialogue? Where? I seen people here using inquisition and even dragon age 2 like to prof something.
Oh boy....

You do realize that, "the old game" barely even had roll checks right? Players actually role-played and used their minds to solve problems instead of dumbing everything down to RNG. Again...this resembles the original P&P less than BG1&2 because of the rolls.

And why the need to display the retarded die rolling on the screen? Why do I need to see that in a giant graphic in your face every 2 minutes?
Mostly because you have active modifiers that can influence the outcome of a roll. Inspiration points,spells etc.

And i do agree it resembles more the original pnp but was done like that from the start. Larian wanted to do a game in the DnD universe. Wotc proposed to them to make Baldurs gate 3 and use that title. So larian had to do a game as close as possible with ths pnp (of course they put some homebrew in.) And at the same time had also had to deliver a baldurs gate title because wizard wanted such.
Also how the lack of stat rolls or skill rolls is more roleplay?

Takamori

Learned
Been watching videos of BG3 and I have yet to see anything that has impressed me so far.

Can anyone explain to me what is so impressive about this? So far I heard that you can climb on stuff...yeah...ok.

Environments look like every other RPG made in the last 15 years. Dialogue looks boring like every BioWaste game ever made. UI looks derivative (skill & spell icons look stupid AF), the skill check mini game looks like it will get annoying, and of course this world looks nothing like the D&D that Arneson & Gygax created, or even BG1 & BG2 for that matter. Everything is way too shiny, and there is way too much racial multiculturalism for the Faerun setting.

I hated D:OA 1&2. Boring, long winded dialogue/story, and a silly, practically comical game world. Lariat is the most underrated developer, maybe ever, IMO.
Rolls checks are exactly like in DnD a feature that the old games were lacking. There was little character agency that was not combat related in the old games. That somehow shifted with the old fallout,planescape and nwn.

Also bad dialogue? Where? I seen people here using inquisition and even dragon age 2 like to prof something.
Oh boy....

You do realize that, "the old game" barely even had roll checks right? Players actually role-played and used their minds to solve problems instead of dumbing everything down to RNG. Again...this resembles the original P&P less than BG1&2 because of the rolls.

And why the need to display the retarded die rolling on the screen? Why do I need to see that in a giant graphic in your face every 2 minutes?
Because funnily enough they advertised this game as 5e pnp experience but with video games, Larian as your DM.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Get over yourself dude. This is pure bullshit, from players "being able to roll play more because there wasn't anything" to "adding dice rolls make this less like P&P". Have you ever even played P&P D&D with other human beings?

You answered it yourself, dice rolls have become far more important so they've become a more prominent part of the UI.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Get over yourself dude. This is pure bullshit, from players "being able to roll play more because there wasn't anything" to "adding dice rolls make this less like P&P". Have you ever even played P&P D&D with other human beings?

You answered it yourself, dice rolls have become far more important so they've become a more prominent part of the UI.
as long as they offer the option to skip the rolling animation, idgaf.

idk what people where expecting. it's a larian game with a dnd name and ruleset. it'll have some gay shit, it'll have some okay shit, it'll (by the laws of probability) have some cool shit too. i was never there for the story, it's going to be some artsy-fartsy frankish bullshit story that intrigued me so little i tended to plow through cutscenes. the combat is boilerplate larian 'eNvIrOnMeNtAl EfFeCtS r KeWl!' that wotc probably told them to tame down on but being larian they still kept it in there.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

as long as they offer the option to skip the rolling animation, idgaf.

idk what people where expecting. it's a larian game with a dnd name and ruleset. it'll have some gay shit, it'll have some okay shit, it'll (by the laws of probability) have some cool shit too. i was never there for the story, it's going to be some artsy-fartsy frankish bullshit story that intrigued me so little i tended to plow through cutscenes. the combat is boilerplate larian 'eNvIrOnMeNtAl EfFeCtS r KeWl!' that wotc probably told them to tame down on but being larian they still kept it in there.
Probably rtwp built in the ad&d ruleset

MerchantKing

Learned
Want me to post 3 more images of her in different light?
I've posted two. You can post 10. I think people can make their decision using their own eyes at this point. Same with the rest of your bickering.
And again with the "GREAT WRITING" of BG1, where the only reason you fucking get involved in anything is because every fucking retard you pick up for you group tells you to go to Nashkel because they have business there.
I usually solo the game. There are multiple NPCs that aren't in the party that will try to hint that the iron crisis is a problem. Same with the bandit crisis.

As I said, I prefer BG3's non-linearity, but the actual concept is better in BG1. I'd rather have an interesting quest than 3 or 4 ways to solve or skip a boring, allegorical quest that has nothing to do with me.
In all fairness bg1 had not memorable quests at all. Bg2 was the game that had those.
Xzar and Xan were quite memorable! It's too bad they turned Xan into a magic tranny.

Takamori

Learned
If rules deviations are the majority of the problems with this game, I will be elated. That is something mods can assuredly fix.
Well depends how you stomach Larian humor? Story wise is up to your personal taste, reactivity is there so the game will recognize that you are Mr. Magniloquent.

BruceVC

Magister
Sorry, not gonna discuss this further. I find people who give everything the most uncharitable reading and are paranoid about political messaging incredibly irritating and I don't care whether it's coming from the Sarkeesians and Kotakus of this world, who interpret everything as racist, sexist and homophobic, or from some screeching right-wing Trumptards who suspect a wokester under every bed. You all suck and fuck your political tribalism. You can interpret fucking everything as an allegory in an unfavourable way if you've got an agenda to push.

The writing in BG1 is fucking ass, they couldn't even keep their tone consistent between whacky anachronistic nonsense that sounds like it was ripped from some shitty Steve Urkel sitcom and people rambling in Ye Olde English. If you want to let your political crystal ball decide whether writing is good or bad based on the asumed political motivations of the writers then be my guest, but at least be aware that this isn't really the quality of the writing at issue here, just your own politial hang-ups.
I tend to agree, this constant assuming that creativity, bad writing or something like game design must have a US culture wars link is tiresome, banal and unconvincing

But this type of comparison is more specific to places like Codex and what some people think. If you just look at most of the BG3 videos they about things that most gamers care about. The game and its mechanics. I normally just ignore the obsession with culture war garbage unless its a political debate

Sorry, not gonna discuss this further. I find people who give everything the most uncharitable reading and are paranoid about political messaging incredibly irritating and I don't care whether it's coming from the Sarkeesians and Kotakus of this world, who interpret everything as racist, sexist and homophobic, or from some screeching right-wing Trumptards who suspect a wokester under every bed. You all suck and fuck your political tribalism. You can interpret fucking everything as an allegory in an unfavourable way if you've got an agenda to push.

The writing in BG1 is fucking ass, they couldn't even keep their tone consistent between whacky anachronistic nonsense that sounds like it was ripped from some shitty Steve Urkel sitcom and people rambling in Ye Olde English. If you want to let your political crystal ball decide whether writing is good or bad based on the asumed political motivations of the writers then be my guest, but at least be aware that this isn't really the quality of the writing at issue here, just your own politial hang-ups.
I tend to agree, this constant assuming that creativity, bad writing or something like game design must have a US culture wars link is tiresome, banal and unconvincing

But this type of comparison is more specific to places like Codex and what some people think. If you just look at most of the BG3 videos they about things that most gamers care about. The game and its mechanics. I normally just ignore the obsession with culture war garbage unless its a political debate
even over on 4chan, sperg central, people are more levelheaded when discussing this game. that should tell you something :lol:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Criticizing all the writing in BG1&2 based on a single joke quest NPC:
>Reasonable.
Criticizing the allegorical writing of part of the BG3 storyline that takes up most of Act 1:
>Unreasonable! Worse than 4chan oh no!
:nocountryforshitposters:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"some homebrew"

L0L :D Hlarious. Comedian of the eon.

Also, whining about the anti sjws is ridiculous. They wouldn't even exist if the sjw nazis didn't push identitty politics so fukkin' hard. They made it a bullshit, but them and their crybaby lackies whine when their nonsense is used against them.

I don't care if you enjoy being fuckked in the ass by a bear in a video game, but also don't expect me to approve of your sickness. Just like if you are man who likes wearing panties with a nice pink bow in your hair after cutting off your dick pretending to be what you think a woman should be, I can ignore you, but don't expect me to go along with your delusion either. Most adults don't let kids prtending to be superman jump off buildings. That's why adults - real adults - don't approve of kids cutting off their dicks just because some sjw nazi brainwashed them into thinking they are actually girls simply because they played with barbie one time. FFS

Now, back to the game. I expect it to be DOS3 with a faux DnD skin. Just enough to pass but in reality, the gameplay will be more DOS than BG. I have yet to play a Larian game, fyi, that has a top 100 joinable npc. The Fallout 1 npc are better written. And, no, spamming words and getting the option to be raped by a bear and turned into a sex slave by some silly drow because you agreed to her evil deal is not impressive and not deep. FFS BG2 did the 'ol 'side with the drow bitch and fuck her' shtick better way back in 2000. LMAO

BruceVC

Magister
"some homebrew"

L0L :D Hlarious. Comedian of the eon.

Also, whining about the anti sjws is ridiculous. They wouldn't even exist if the sjw nazis didn't push identitty politics so fukkin' hard. They made it a bullshit, but them and their crybaby lackies whine when their nonsense is used against them.

I don't care if you enjoy being fuckked in the ass by a bear in a video game, but also don't expect me to approve of your sickness. Just like if you are man who likes wearing panties with a nice pink bow in your hair after cutting off your dick pretending to be what you think a woman should be, I can ignore you, but don't expect me to go along with your delusion either. Most adults don't let kids prtending to be superman jump off buildings. That's why adults - real adults - don't approve of kids cutting off their dicks just because some sjw nazi brainwashed them into thinking they are actually girls simply because they played with barbie one time. FFS

Now, back to the game. I expect it to be DOS3 with a faux DnD skin. Just enough to pass but in reality, the gameplay will be more DOS than BG. I have yet to play a Larian game, fyi, that has a top 100 joinable npc. The Fallout 1 npc are better written. And, no, spamming words and getting the option to be raped by a bear and turned into a sex slave by some silly drow because you agreed to her evil deal is not impressive and not deep. FFS BG2 did the 'ol 'side with the drow bitch and fuck her' shtick better way back in 2000. LMAO
Of course, its people on both sides. But thats not the point. You dont need to encourage it and participate in it on a gaming forum when we discussing a game and its mechanics

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If rules deviations are the majority of the problems with this game, I will be elated. That is something mods can assuredly fix.
We'll have to see how well the game plays I guess. Not being close to a 1 to 1 copy of the ruleset is unfortunate, but the Infinity engine games were also very 'loose' in their 2E adaptation (and I don't just mean RTWP).

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Of course, its people on both sides. But thats not the point. You dont need to encourage it and participate in it on a gaming forum when we discussing a game and its mechanics
The only reason you like this game is the Drow sex scene, isn't it?
No of course thats not the only reason I like this game, you really think Im that shallow or easily influenced?

Its a bonus but its a tiny part of the overall components I am looking forward to and I may not even follow that option because apparently you have to kill innocents or something similar and I dont normally do that

Gradenmayer

Learned
I once had a guy that simply could not roll well on his stats. Every time he rolled he ended up with fucking terrible distributions. I must have given him like 6-7 rerolls until eventually I was like dude just use standard array

Meanwhile the girl in the party, who had never played D&D before, rolled godlike stats first time for her Ranger and everyone was laughing about it

People can get really sore about rolling stats, I honestly don't know if it's worth the hassle
It’s double not worth it in computer RPGs, because you smash the reroll button until you roll max. It’s a clicker mini-game, not an actual choice or a mechanic.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I think that the only thing more gay than participating in video game romances is wanting to, but failing because you're too timid to kill some npcs

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
No of course thats not the only reason I like this game, you really think Im that shallow or easily influenced?

Its a bonus but its a tiny part of the overall components I am looking forward to and I may not even follow that option because apparently you have to kill innocents or something similar and I dont normally do that
OTOH, you could just select your hallucination's avatar to be a Drow female. Or your main character. Or both. :M

Saravan

Savant
The only reason you like this game is the Drow sex scene, isn't it?

He has proven to like a lot more, a whole lot more than just that. If anyone on the board is going to explore every single sex scene its going to be Bruce.
Late Bloomer knows because he keeps tabs on everyone here like some degenerate stalker gestapo. He enjoys the meta degeneracy. He told me in PM that it makes him feel more sophisticated than the incel bear enjoyers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom