Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I might give this game a miss until I can play a paladin or sorc... Really don't want to play a MC that fails persuasion attempts all the time.
Play a warlock, maybe? You will definitely have an higher Charisma score with a warlock than with a paladin. But make no mistake: due to how 5E skills work, you will still fail persuasion/intimidate/deception skill checks even with a character based on charisma.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
the simplest you can go with a keyboard and a mouse

MOVE OVER GRANDPA THIS ISN'T YOUR DUSTY OLD PC GAMING ANYMORE, THIS IS RADICAL CONSOLE GAMING.

chad-george-monster-energy-kawasaki-400x400-721846.jpg

Bah

Arcane
It also very difficult to add optional combat to change turn based to RtwP rather than RtwP to Turn based.

It's not a matter which system is better but it is very impossible to do so without completely changing the game from the ground up.

Maybe Larian can give the option to speed up or skip the combat animation to speed up the combat and that's the best they can give.

Reminder that Diablo was originally turn based, and it took one programmer a weekend to convert it to real-time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I might give this game a miss until I can play a paladin or sorc... Really don't want to play a MC that fails persuasion attempts all the time.
Play a warlock, maybe? You will definitely have an higher Charisma score with a warlock than with a paladin. But make no mistake: due to how 5E skills work, you will still fail persuasion/intimidate/deception skill checks even with a character based on charisma.
Well, it depends. You can start with 18 CHA with a proficiency in persuade, so that's +6 right there. You can also be a Rogue and bump that to +8. You can also choose a Tiefling and get to +10 with that 2 Cha bonus they have.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, it depends. You can start with 18 CHA with a proficiency in persuade, so that's +6 right there. You can also be a Rogue and bump that to +8. You can also choose a Tiefling/Human and get to +10 with that 2 Cha bonus they have.

How can I get 18 CHA highest I've seen is 17

Lacrymas

Arcane
BG3 caps a stat to 16 in char creation.
Even with race bonuses? My math was wrong, though. You don't get a +2 with 2 more CHA. At most you can have a +9 if you can get it to 20. So, a Tiefling Rogue with 18 CHA and a proficiency in persuade with expertise on top can get up to +8.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ok then, so the maximum possible bonus is +7. +3 from 16 Cha and +4 from proficiency + expertise. You can't get it higher with a Paladin or Sorcerer, you can't even get as high.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I don't know how it's implemented in game, but in tabletop 5e the highest possible score with point buy is 15, before racial adjustments.

Voids

Augur
Imagine designing a character and choosing to name it Shadowheart. :lol:

Is there at least a good lore reason for that name? I just hope there wasn't a dev who thought to himself "this sounds badass" and slapped that generic name on her.

I never understood this complaint. D&D is filled with silly names. Obould Many-Arrows. Belwar Dissengulp. Wulfgar. Pasha Pook. Bruenor Battlehammer. Zhalimar Cloudwulfe. Samuel Thunderburp. Shimmergloom.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Obsidian should have made classic BG3 we deserve. Larian should have named this game Sword coast 2 and would still have the amount success Wizards wanted them to have in first place based on DOS2.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, it depends. You can start with 18 CHA with a proficiency in persuade, so that's +6 right there. You can also be a Rogue and bump that to +8. You can also choose a Tiefling and get to +10 with that 2 Cha bonus they have.
The highest score you can buy through point buy is 15, that can go to 17 with the +2 from the tiefling. I don't know why everyone is saying that the maximum possible is 16.

As of now, there's also no expertise for the rogue.

This means that your highest possible bonus to persuasion at character creation, right now, is +5. The best thing you can do to boost your chances is to rely on the Friends cantrip that gives you advantage on the roll (but you have to be able to cast it before starting the conversation).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Either way, what's important is that it seems you can't get a higher than a +3 at character creation. If there's no expertise, then you are screwed and the maximum possible bonus is +5. You don't need to be a Tiefling to get it, though, you can be a human or drow.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Popped open the main campaign file
Potential companions/camp followers:
Daisy
Helia
Minsc
Sylvira(? This guy?)
Karlach(That's the wounded tiefling, right?)
"Unnamed Drow"
"Den Leader"

I think the gnome you can save may come to your camp("Unfortunate Gnome")

Confirmed classes:
Barbarian
Bard
Druid
Monk
Paladin
Sorcerer

Confirmed races:
Gnome/Deep gnome
Dragonborn
Half-orc(? is this ingame already?)
Duergar, same as above

There's also a lot of references to alignment so it's something that WotC must have told them to remove late in development.
Also, I was correct. There's a lot of flags related to time passing/events happening on certain days.
Shadowheart gets captured and tortured
I think that the unnamed drow is Minthara. If you side with the absolute instead of the druids she ends up in your camp. I just tried this now out of curiosity.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

flyingjohn

Arcane

Subreddits are completely different then their generic counterparts.
You get actual good opinion ranging from games to programming.

Voids

Augur
Daisy
Helia
Minsc
Sylvira(? This guy?)
"Unnamed Drow"
"Den Leader"

Confirmed classes:
Barbarian
Bard
Druid
Monk
Paladin
Sorcerer

Confirmed races:
Gnome/Deep gnome
Dragonborn
Duergar, same as above

There's also a lot of references to alignment so it's something that WotC must have told them to remove late in development.
Also, I was correct. There's a lot of flags related to time passing/events happening on certain days.
I think that the unnamed drow is Minthara. If you side with the absolute instead of the druids she ends up in your camp. I just tried this now out of curiosity.

How did you progress after killing all the Tieflings and druids in the grove? I think I've killed everyone but Minthara says there are still people to slaughter. Who am I missing?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Voids

Augur

Subreddits are completely different then their generic counterparts.
You get actual good opinion ranging from games to programming.

the BG3 subreddit isn't bad, especially when you've got the oldschool guys on there making suggestions. When the DOS players wake up and flood the sub with retard-level memes it's time to disconnect.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Daisy
Helia
Minsc
Sylvira(? This guy?)
"Unnamed Drow"
"Den Leader"

Confirmed classes:
Barbarian
Bard
Druid
Monk
Paladin
Sorcerer

Confirmed races:
Gnome/Deep gnome
Dragonborn
Duergar, same as above

How did you progress after killing all the Tieflings and druids in the grove? I think I've killed everyone but Minthara says there are still people to slaughter. Who am I missing?
I am not sure who you are missing, I first killed the people on the wall, then I went and killed the tieflings inside of the grove itself, then I killed the druids. Maybe there is someone holed up somewhere. Either way, the quest is very buggy, after completing it I get attacked by the goblins automatically upon entering their camp for "siding with the druids" even though I sided with the goblins, so the quest resolution is clearly lacking some work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom