Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
“Your romantic interest”. It’s imaginary pixels. This is why it’s impossible to engage with this mechanic in any RPG, it injects cringe into my body.
How would you like me to say it? "The pixels from the previous romantic subplot"?

Get a thicker skin, man.
"Your romantic interest" :D You can tell who isn't coming from PnP experience by the fact that they equate their character to themselves. Which is sad. There is loads of fun roleplaying a character who is fundamentally different from you. It may even lead you to learning things about yourself.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
An appropriate moment to remind everyone that Dragon's Dogma, a game originally released in 2012 for the PS3 console released in 2006, has an innovative character appearance customization system
Doesn't have mocapped lipsynch though, does it?

I'm sure they wanted to add it, regardless of what they claim, but there was probably some sort of budgetary or time thing and they axed it.

Now watch some modder prove me wrong and add it in the first month. :M
The cutscenes in Dragon's Dogma could sometimes result in derpy expressions being placed on the player-character, and to a lesser extent NPCs, a drawback of the extensive appearance customization permitted. Given that BG3 is releasing 11 years later with a substantially larger budget, however, its developers should have been able to implement facial customization while greatly improving the facial expressions and even generating an acceptable lip-sync.

But they obviously have a great focus on pre-generated characters, whereas Dragon's Dogma allowed for total customization of the Arisen and Main Pawn. :M

Modron

Arcane
I wouldn't mind something like ~40 well crafted by actual artists premade characters to pick from in place of making a custom one. Go try making a custom character in SF6 and laugh at how bad their faces and bodies look compared to developer made ones for example.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Lol no weight, height or muscle slider and i can only select between preset features but omg i can mix and match genitals and voice to be my TRUEST self.
To be fair, those ~gender options~ are a fraction of the work to implement compared with things like muscle tones -- means accommodating those options in animations, equipment (clipping!), etc. (Also I imagine the option to make your female characters hung will be used more for fetish reasons than feeling #valid lol.)

But yeah, I was talking to someone earlier about how silly it is that your nerdy mage will be similarly built to some axe-wielding barbarian if they're the same race and gender. Guess they thought the effort was better used elsewhere.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I'm going to go over some of the issues I have in regards to the latest Larian article.
She then added that in her experience most fine-tuned characters that players spend hours making look very similar in the end. "So we wanted to avoid that. And if we would make sliders, we needed to make it into something that would be truly unique and wouldn’t look the same."
Your face is a major part of your identity. "The eyes are the gateway to the soul" as they say. You might think this is important for a game that is heavily focused on dialogue and has scenes where they show your characters face for moments at a time. But no, Larian is too quirky and Reddit-brained to put expressions into a face. What did they focus on instead?
The team took the task of inclusion very seriously. They talked to consultants and animators to create Black hairstyles, for instance. Their approach to gender is also different from that of many other companies. In Baldur’s Gate 3, you can choose between four different body types, which are not assigned to a specific gender. Moreover, there is an option to pick your character’s genitals: there are several variants here.

"You can choose between a penis or a vagina, as well as pubic hair options, though given the Dragonborn’s reptilian nature, theirs will look slightly different," said Kotaku.
Your face isn't important but your genitals and pubic hair are. Really drives home what many have been saying about the progressive Left for a long time. Your personal identity doesn't matter. It is your race and genitals that matter, literally.
But hey, that doesn't mean they're enabling outright degeneracy, right? It's just another body part. Surely they aren't aiming for a fetishistic audience whose entire identity is wrapped up in sex and coom...
Larian decided to make underwear a piece of equipment you can customize and wear, and this is part of character customization.

“The question arose, ‘what happens when you take it off?’” she said. “At first we were like, ‘you know, maybe nothing’s gonna happen. Maybe we’re gonna have another underwear mesh under it. Who cares? But then I started thinking about it, talking about it, and we realized that for some players, it’s just another way to represent their identity.”
"This is what Baldur's Gate fans want!" says the soycuck dev, ignoring the player base that spends 5 hours tweaking every part of the face to pixel perfection. "And our players want to express themselves through underwear, pubic hair, exotic genitals, and gay sex with animals!"
This game is drenched in coom. It is like the devs got together, sat around in a circle, made a soggy biscuit and decided that will be their game.
Ask yourself though. What kind of player cares more about pubic hair and underwear than facial emotion and morality? Now understand that this is the target audience who both Larian and WotC are making the game for.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Quality discussion.
Thought provoking stuff.
Keep it up, lads!
Larian audience
You keep saying this but from the time I registered my account I have, without exaggerating, literally never see you once make a post that is not some one liner contrarian shitpost.
Nix. He has made them, be they few and far between. Very few and very far between.
It increases their market value.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dialog is first-person. Narration is 2nd-person.
And what's your point?

You can tell who isn't coming from PnP experience when they've never heard a DM narrate in the second person btw.
I've heard both second and third person.

Again, you're the one referring to a videogame character as your romantic interest.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Saravan

Savant
Quality discussion.
Thought provoking stuff.
Keep it up, lads!
Larian audience
You keep saying this but from the time I registered my account I have, without exaggerating, literally never see you once make a post that is not some one liner contrarian shitpost.
The majority of threads on the Dex do not warrant more than that.
Nah it’s because it’s easy to be a contrarian shitposter but if you have to actually form a real opinion you expose yourself to not be as monocled as you pretend to be.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Quality discussion.
Thought provoking stuff.
Keep it up, lads!
Larian audience
He participates in our discussions, though he does it ironically.
When the game is out (on the High Seas) Ill make a big ass post about playing it right here. I will play it out of spite.

Kiste

Augur
The cutscenes in Dragon's Dogma could sometimes result in derpy expressions being placed on the player-character, and to a lesser extent NPCs, a drawback of the extensive appearance customization permitted. Given that BG3 is releasing 11 years later with a substantially larger budget, however, its developers should have been able to implement facial customization while greatly improving the facial expressions and even generating an acceptable lip-sync.

But they obviously have a great focus on pre-generated characters, whereas Dragon's Dogma allowed for total customization of the Arisen and Main Pawn. :M
Dragon's Dogma was also clipping galore. Holy fuck was the clipping bad in that game. Hair, capes, weapons, armor. Having extensive body customization doesn't exactly make things easier in that regard. There is a cost to everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom