Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell: Release Showcase

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That got changed i am not sure why there was a reason behind tho.
I think we don't need a smoking gun to conclude that the devs were influenced by player feedback. Could even be Wizards asked them to because of it. But it's still a dumbing down.
They added lot of moments and interaction that can make you easily fuck off the situation in the latest patch.
Yeah, if you're a complete dunce you can piss her off and go back to square one, sure. But most people aren't going to do that, or they're just going to reload. They're never going to have to start from her not liking them and figure out how to earn her trust.

And really, considering her background, she has no reason to like you or trust very much at all, even if you do save her. She isn't relying on you. She has a purpose of her own that she's trying to accomplish, and your teamwork for the moment is more beneficial than not.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

That got changed i am not sure why there was a reason behind tho.
I think we don't need a smoking gun to conclude that the devs were influenced by player feedback. Could even by Wizards asked them to because of it. But it's still a dumbing down.
They added lot of moments and interaction that can make you easily fuck off the situation in the latest patch.
Yeah, if you're a complete dunce you can piss her off and go back to square one, sure. But most people aren't going to do that, or they're just going to reload. They're never going to have to start from her not liking them and figure out how to earn her trust.

And really, considering her background, she has no reason to like you or trust very much at all, even if you do save her.
You can piss her off with many decisions you take in the early game. Like if you dont give the precedence on certain things

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I can't believe that after all this time, the UI looks like the D:OS games, they haven't made the slightest bit of effort even to just simply re-skin it and give it a unique look and feel.

Well, I presume it's a conscious decision to give a sense of familiarity to people who played the D:OS games (and tbh there's probably going to be more of them playing this game than people who played the BG games), but it's disappointing from the artistic point of view.

On the plus side, it's clear from Swen's conviction in the way he talks, that they've put a lot of responsiveness and C&C into the game, and that's great. But I doubt the meat and potatoes of how the combat feels in action is going to be anywhere near as good as Solasta's. It's the same crabbed, tiny icons, the same ancient type of UI ergonomics, the same clunkiness-in-use that the D:OS games had, and so many games have had before.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Disagree with him all you want but Swen wants 0 abstraction. For him it's all or nothing.
What's stopping him? The game's only been in EA for years, and day/night cycles were something they "promised" for DOS 2 (or was it DOS 1?)
But I get it, zoophiliac gay sex is gonna sell the game more to the twitch audience, better game won't.

I agree with you 100%.. But I want to caveat one thing.

Unlike most goyslop that's been getting shoveled over us, we can actually kill anyone & everyone without a game over in this game..
Infact, killing all these nauseating NPC's will likely make the game far more difficult and harder to play..

I envision entire forests of gay shape shifting druid furries where if you kill one, you will have to nuke all of them.. But AFAIK..No trans-fagbear plot armor.

That alone makes me wanna play this game..
There is something rotten in the realms.. I will save it.

"Dark Urge" playthrough but basically as an avenging angel that wipes out all sodomites and deviants(and we all know there will be plenty of them).

Zeriel

Arcane
I wonder how many of the people here criticizing the streamlining the writing actually played the EA?

I did when I first came out. It's specifically why I hate on the game so much. It's fucking trash, writing wise. Which is even sadder than if it was just bad mechanically, somehow. It's mystifying how they can make a game that has a solid foundation but then fuck up the artistry so bad I can't stomach it.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
BG3 will suck just like Turdinity: Vaginal Shit games.
I know that we are here to whine about everything, but the D:OS games are among the best RPGs of the last decade. You may not like their graphic style or "humor" (toned down in the second one), but most of the rest is done pretty well - especially the combat.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
AwmN1dN.png

HCFv72F.png

Again, I will say that the character writing in the Early Access' first release was fairly good compared to Larian's past work, and I disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

But this is garbage. I want to play a fantasy game. Back in the day, that meant that modern stuff like dating was rarely mentioned, or couched in older terms, not just blurted out.

Maybe there's a ton of precedent for this that I'm not thinking about, but you didn't see this junk in BG or PST.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
They are good games, but the humor is bad and tone is like bad camp. Divine Divinity also had humor but was more tolerable. Dragon Commander foward etc their style is just meh.
They have no class. I mean look at all their games overall , the armors and aesthetic alone is just awful.

Its enough for me to be turned off from them.

One good thing going for Larian was their composer who passed away which honestly did amazing music, and the music was kinda wasted on the games.

Imho if Larian had either a trashy style but went overboard like korean mmo dolls or went very classic fantasy looks the kind you would see from 90s FR fantasy book cover art I would also tolerate the wonky writing more.
But its just me.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
They are good games, but the humor is bad and tone is like bad camp.
They're not funny. That's the worst part of Larian humor in previous games.

That and they make such a joke out of the story, that I lose all interest.

Why should I pay any attention to a story that I know is probably going to end in a fart joke or similar?

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Kirill Vladimirovich Pokrovsky. That was the composer. I had to take a look, died pretty young. RIP.
Some really cool pieces of music, very atmospheric. Perfect for a more classic looking fantasy setting.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Maybe Larian would have liked to make a Discoworld rpg, written by Terry. Now its too late. I dont know. Discworld had class.

I mean its not like Divinity 2 is the end of the world or anything, but they are just forgetable as fuck to me.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Apparently this game has full genitalia / sex scenes.. and if you play the edge lord murder hobo you can rape maim and kill..
I have no idea if that's true but people who played the full game are reporting / hinting at that..

Surprised nuu-WOTC would even green light that - guess we'll see when the game comes out.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kirill Vladimirovich Pokrovsky. That was the composer. I had to take a look, died pretty young. RIP.
Some really cool pieces of music, very atmospheric. Perfect for a more classic looking fantasy setting.

The theme to DivDiv was unforgettable (and his music paired well with what was a very good game at the time). The music in D:OS was awesome too.

Like some of the artwork we admire from old D&D magazines and that sort of thing, his music is idiosyncratic, and technically imperfect in some ways (unlike, say, someone like Soule, who's orchestration is nonpareil), but imbued with tremendous passion and focus. A true artist.

I was genuinely sad when I heard he'd died. RIP.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But this is garbage. I want to play a fantasy game. Back in the day, that meant that modern stuff like dating was rarely mentioned, or couched in older terms, not just blurted out.

Maybe there's a ton of precedent for this that I'm not thinking about, but you didn't see this junk in BG or PST.
That was 2nd edition D&D back in the mid-1300s. It's now 5th edition and the late 1400s. The Forgotten Realms now has pride parades.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I can't believe that after all this time, the UI looks like the D:OS games, they haven't made the slightest bit of effort even to just simply re-skin it and give it a unique look and feel.

Well, I presume it's a conscious decision to give a sense of familiarity to people who played the D:OS games (and tbh there's probably going to be more of them playing this game than people who played the BG games), but it's disappointing from the artistic point of view.

On the plus side, it's clear from Swen's conviction in the way he talks, that they've put a lot of responsiveness and C&C into the game, and that's great. But I doubt the meat and potatoes of how the combat feels in action is going to be anywhere near as good as Solasta's. It's the same crabbed, tiny icons, the same ancient type of UI ergonimics, the same clunkiness-in-use that the D:OS games had, and so many games have had before.
"C&C"

Character and customization?

Command and Conquer?

Cocks and cucks?

I need to know what it stands for!!!!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

On the plus side, it's clear from Swen's conviction in the way he talks, that they've put a lot of responsiveness and C&C into the game, and that's great. But I doubt the meat and potatoes of how the combat feels in action is going to be anywhere near as good as Solasta's. It's the same crabbed, tiny icons, the same ancient type of UI ergonimics, the same clunkiness-in-use that the D:OS games had, and so many games have had before.
"C&C"

Character and customization?

Command and Conquer?

Cocks and cucks?

I need to know what it stands for!!!!

Not sure if serious, but if serious: choice and consequence.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher

The theme to DivDiv was unforgettable (and his music paired well with what was a very good game at the time). The music in D:OS was awesome too.

Like some of the artwork we admire from old D&D magazines and that sort of thing, his music is idiosyncratic, and technically imperfect in some ways (unlike, say, someone like Soule, who's orchestration is nonpareil), but imbued with tremendous passion and focus. A true artist.

I was genuinely sad when I heard he'd died. RIP.
Yes, its not the complexity, its not something from jordi savall, its very soulful very innocent and fairytale like. Shit the OST from divine divinity in youtube looks like dungeon synth before it was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoCELpXTumA&list=PLE227056841D08FBF

Dungeon Synth. Thats it.

We need Crpgs with the same feel of all the covers from dungeon synth combined.

https://admindagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/DungeonSynth_ILU-1_230303_hp.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Forgotten Realms now has pride parades.
I know that I'm probably going to regret asking this, but...you're joking, right?
Nope.
DmqkGJ1WsAAc8nP.jpg

As https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms#Forgotten_Realms_And_Sex points out these elements were always part of the Realms, but WoTC kept a lid on it in the actual game material until the culture changed enough to allow it to be permissible.

"As gods do" lol - yeah that's the money shot, the liberal fantasy of freedom of the unfettered ego.

Drakortha

Liturgist
The Forgotten Realms now has pride parades.
I know that I'm probably going to regret asking this, but...you're joking, right?
Nope.
DmqkGJ1WsAAc8nP.jpg

As https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms#Forgotten_Realms_And_Sex points out these elements were always part of the Realms, but WoTC kept a lid on it in the actual game material until the culture changed enough to allow it to be permissible.
DUMB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom