Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From reading some more about it, it seems very unlikely that BG3 will be 1st person RT.

First, they tried to get the license, but couldn't. Then they were approached by Wizards when they were finishing up D:OS 2 - which kind of implies that Wizards liked what they did as far top-down perspective with TB tactical combat is concerned. Having Larian develop a completely different type of game wouldn't make sense.

Secondly, you have a party and this doesn't really work in pure RT. Even if the rest of the party does its own thing, it would still be a clusterfuck.

Thirdly, Larian already said that they want the same or similar kind of environmental interaction as in the D:OS series combat. You cannot really do this in 1st person pure RT either.

Finally, the game is apparently confirmed to be in a revamped D:OS 2 engine. I doubt that converting this engine from TB to pure RT and from top-down to 1st person makes much sense.

So, it may not be shit after all.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
every TES game has had level scaling, including Arena.

The level scaling on Morrowind is extremely smaller compared to Oblivion. Winged Twilight has the same HP if the PC is lv 1 or 60. Contrary to Oblivion where Xivilais can soak 56 daedric battleaxe swings from fully maxed warriors at level cap and regular bandits use daedric weapons... Scaling on Morrowind is just a small change on spawn table chances.

Elex

Arbiter
What is Minsc doing there? And when is it compared to the 2 Baldur's Gates?
Minsc gets petrified at some point and everyone thought it was a statue of him until someone undoes it.

Whether that's a petrified Minsc or a statue of him brought to life is still unresolved. One of the bigger evidence for the latter is that, after "awakening", Minsc is surprised as to why is he in Baldur's Gate. So, unless someone lugged his petrified corpse, without shattering it, from who-knows-where; this isn't the real person. Or, at least, his real body.
he was him, after he was set free they put a statue for replacement.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, page 12 of that comic explicitly names Neera, so yeah, Beamdog's characters do seem to appear in official products.

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, page 12 of that comic explicitly names Neera, so yeah, Beamdog's characters do seem to appear in official products.
Neera is a character written by a guy who has worked for TSR/WotC for years(including being editor-in-chief of the Dragon magazine,) why would you think she wouldn't?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Neera is a character written by a guy who has worked for TSR/WotC for years(including being editor-in-chief of the Dragon magazine,) why would you think she wouldn't?

At best, she rises to the level of very forgettable, mediocre character, created for a unnecessary makeover on a decades old game. That's why I didn't expect her to show up in other D&D-related products. Live and learn.

Lacrymas

Arcane
When am I going to see my husbando, Dorn, though? They can't leave me hanging like this, especially with how they tease with Neera.

Thonius

Arcane
When am I going to see my husbando, Dorn, though? They can't leave me hanging like this, especially with how they tease with Neera.

They don't "tease" Neera, he just mistakes a very similar character with her. As I've mentioned before, they can't put in characters who had multiple possible epilogues, since then they'd have to take your choices from previous games into account (I would be absolutely astounded if Larian did that). That leaves those characters from Baldur's Gate I who didn't either die and/or moved onto the sequel and/or wouldn't be dead due to natural causes + a handful of characters from Baldur's Gate II who had a single epilogue which left them alive and have long lifespans. And, of course, Minsc.
They can and they will do anything they want to...duh

Codex Year of the Donut

They don't "tease" Neera, he just mistakes a very similar character with her. As I've mentioned before, they can't put in characters who had multiple possible epilogues, since then they'd have to take your choices from previous games into account (I would be absolutely astounded if Larian did that). That leaves those characters from Baldur's Gate I who didn't either die and/or moved onto the sequel and/or wouldn't be dead due to natural causes + a handful of characters from Baldur's Gate II who had a single epilogue which left them alive and have long lifespans. And, of course, Minsc.
Why not? It has already been done before.
e.g., Viconia was definitely not romanced because she's still alive.

Cael

Arcane
Half-orcs have a lower lifespan than humans. They had to petrify Minsc for him to appear. Dorn? No way :D

Codex Year of the Donut

Why not? It has already been done before.
e.g., Viconia was definitely not romanced because she's still alive.

What? Where did you get the idea that Viconia is still alive? I'm not saying it's not true, I'm actually curious.
https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Lore:Featured_Quest:_Maze_Engine#Viconia_DeVir

Lacrymas

Arcane
How is impregnating an underage girl non-controversial? ;d Or you mean non-controversial for the target audience?

DraQ

Arcane
Thirdly, Larian already said that they want the same or similar kind of environmental interaction as in the D:OS series combat. You cannot really do this in 1st person pure RT either.
You can but that's beside the point.

I don't think there is realistic chance to expect anything more actiony than RTWP and TBH even RTWP didn't work that well for IE, TB is just better for party based.

They did a third person oblivion like game, but is nothing like oblivion. In some aspects have more BS than Oblivion(Cooldowns), in others, has less BS than Oblivion(level scaling everything else)
Fixified.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Her age is never stated.
But we can infer that from her dialogue. She says she's *probably* older than Jaheira, which means she's young enough to not be sure, and Jaheira treats her like a child, which means she sees her as one. Jaheira is probably around 30-40ish, if we are to believe her own biography that she was a child during the Tethyr civil war (which is kinda contradicted by she having visited Gorion when the Bhaalspawn was a child) and that civil war ended around the time BG1 came about. So, yeah, I wouldn't put Aerie more than 50-60 at best since she was taken to the circus "at a young age". It's also stated in her biography that her wings atrophied some years after being forced into the circus, i.e. not decades, not centuries, years. And Quayle helped with that between BG1 and 2. We also shouldn't ignore her portrait, she looks like a teenager.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
The only character I want to meet again in BG3 is Viconia just for the moment when she realises that Minsc and his Hamster are still alive. She, Minsc and Jaheira are probably the most famous characters from the series, even people who know BG only from hearsay probably have heard their names.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom