Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If it literally is, the closest precedent is Firaxis XCOM series, the turn-based strategy with not insignificant amount of cinematics. Especially XCOM 2.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have seen absolutely no reason why this is isometric even the official press release says: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/344218/Larian_Studios_Announces_Baldurs_Gate_III.php
“Baldur's Gate means so much to so many people. It's a great responsibility but I think we're ready for it,” said Swen Vincke, Creative Director at Larian Studios. “We're all about creating reactive, systemic worlds that respect player agency and having a chance to apply our team's skillset in a universe as rich as Dungeons & Dragons is a lot of fun. We're working very closely with Wizards to bring an unprecedented level of immersion to the realm of Faerun and I can't wait to show the world what our team cooked up."
No one uses the word immersion to describe a game with an isometric perspective. I don't understand why people are still arguing 17 after NWN and 10 years after Dragon Age Origins about whether 3rd Person and party RPGs work together.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No one uses the word immersion to describe a game with an isometric perspective.

Camera perspective is only one of the aspects that impacts on immersion. Baldur's Gate 1/2 is not immersive as Dungeon Hack or Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, but is pretty immersive if compared to skyrim for eg.

Some said D:OS 2 was immersive 'cause having roots in Ultima.

I don't see much of Ultima in any Larian game, except divine divinity. Was amazing. Imagine U 7 + D'1...

Elex

Arbiter
I somewhat doubt that Lariam is going to include the Beamdog characters since they were never mentioned outside these games again. Even Swen didn't even mention the enhanced editions in any of the interviews I read. I wouldn't be surprised if WOTC just erased them from their canon.
There were two stories about Neera published in Dragon+ along with a character sheet
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/22/DRA22_Neera.pdf
:M
this sheet make no sense. a charisma 10 sorcerer is useless.

* Spellcasting • PHB 101 You can cast known sorcerer spells using CHA as your spellcasting modifier (Spell DC 11, Spell Attack +3). You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

LOL

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Neera is a Wild Mage, not a Sorcerer, that sheet is wrong.

As for TB cinematics, I doubt they would be developing 2 TB RPGs at the same time (Fallen Heroes before it was cancelled), one of them just bigger than the other. It's *possible*, but it's possible in the sense it's possible to win the lottery, i.e. very unlikely. That's in addition to everything else that points to this not being an isometric TB RPG of course.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You can have cinematics to show off monsters, cities, events. No need to be railoroady there.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PF:K isn't mainstream. D:OS2, all things considered, kinda is.
D:OS games were never created to be mainstream, however they ended up really decent games in age of decline so they became main stream
sven referred to D:OS1 as a game you can play with your girlfriend, therefore it was aimed towards the mainstream audience of girlfriend havers
So hardcore RPG players are incels. Thanks for confirming it.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fuck this game. We already have Baldur's Gate 3, it's called Kingmaker path of the divine sin. What the fuck man. Fuck high fantasy. This shit needs to stop. Stop caring about this. FROM THE CREATORS OF THE 2015 RPG OF THE DECADE COMES... THE ULTIMATE RPG EXPERIENFFFFFFFUAAAAAAAAAACK

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can have cinematics to show off monsters, cities, events. No need to be railoroady there.

Then is little railroad. Mount & Blade, the most "sandboxy" game that i saw have no cutscenes and square enix JRPG's have a lot of railroading and cutscenes . And they have so many railroading that they often forces you to play as the anime swordsman(most boring protagonists)

Cinematics encourages railroad from devs, because create a expensive CGI that only the players who will chose A, then B, then C and will play as a class D will see is a waste of resources, but create a "picture" and a text is not that expensive.

Voice acting too, games with fully voice acting tends to have more raildoading. There are exceptions. Larian DOS2 for eg have voice acting on animals and only those who pick a skill can talk with animals.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Cinematics encourages railroad from devs, because create a expensive CGI that only the players who will chose A, then B, then C and will play as a class D will see is a waste of resources, but create a "picture" and a text is not that expensive.

Their team is not doing CGI, but real-time in-engine cinematics.

FWIW what they want from their cinematic artists: https://larian.com/jobs/6cd2421e-af1c-499d-bb81-fecdcdfec314

• Use proprietary cinematic tools to bring scenes to life
  • Craft cutscenes and sequences that emphasize camera motion and character performance
  • Manipulate performance capture data to stage scenes
  • Understand and maintain the cinematic style of the production title
  • Elevate the emotional impact of the narrative through cinematics
  • Tap into your cinematic experience to tackle emotional and performance heavy sequences

Yes, "emotional impact" and all that, but I'd imagine they want a big cinematic team proportional to choices players make than long and linear movie-like scenes. (Still not fond of them though.)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wasn't there a meme about emotional engagement floating around here somewhere? Imagine me posting that.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Their team is not doing CGI, but real-time in-engine cinematics.

FWIW what they want from their cinematic artists: https://larian.com/jobs/6cd2421e-af1c-499d-bb81-fecdcdfec314

• Use proprietary cinematic tools to bring scenes to life
  • Craft cutscenes and sequences that emphasize camera motion and character performance
  • Manipulate performance capture data to stage scenes
  • Understand and maintain the cinematic style of the production title
  • Elevate the emotional impact of the narrative through cinematics
  • Tap into your cinematic experience to tackle emotional and performance heavy sequences

Yes, "emotional impact" and all that, but I'd imagine they want a big cinematic team proportional to choices players make than long and linear movie-like scenes. (Still not fond of them though.)

If they want emotions then they need to hire David Cage
tumblr_mkhezfCszq1qhys31o1_500.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Neera is a Wild Mage, not a Sorcerer, that sheet is wrong.

No, it's not. Wild Mage in 5th edition is a Sorcerer bloodline. Having 10 CHA would, indeed, make her completely useless unless you guys missed some picked asset that makes her rely on another stat. Those are very uncommon in 5th ed, though.

EDIT: You can see she chose exactly that bloodline:

eqNWN4x.jpg

Nothing immediately explains the lack of CHA, though.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
They might have copied her attributes from the game and rounded them down (since she has 11 CHA) without realizing the rules for Wild Mages have changed.

Codex Year of the Donut
What is Minsc doing there? And when is it compared to the 2 Baldur's Gates?
Minsc gets petrified at some point and everyone thought it was a statue of him until someone undoes it.

Whether that's a petrified Minsc or a statue of him brought to life is still unresolved. One of the bigger evidence for the latter is that, after "awakening", Minsc is surprised as to why is he in Baldur's Gate. So, unless someone lugged his petrified corpse, without shattering it, from who-knows-where; this isn't the real person. Or, at least, his real body.
Maybe his memory is just foggy after being a statue for so long
afaik there's no record of Minsc for a long while which is unexplained by the second theory.

Thonius

Arcane
Imagine deeply caring about lore that can and will be changed at will. LMAO.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom