Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I get that from a PnP purity perspective, but I’m more concerned about gameplay here. I’m hoping someone can offer reassurance that we won’t need to pick tank, thief, healer and spellslinger to be effective in combat. For me, a huge part of any good CRPG is experimenting with team composition and cool class combos.
Outside of there not being healers and tanks in the MMO sense, it really depends on the versatility of the classes and how they are implemented. You can make your Cleric be a frontline fighter and healer at the same time for example. You can also heal using only potions or bandages/food/herbs if they include them. But yeah, it kinda sucks it's only 4 characters.
no alignments
I don't know where this comes from, but 5E has all the traditional alignments.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
LoL so the D&D is the way BG should be played,no alignments,4 people party and dumbed down mechanics :lol:. Dumb TB fanatics would slurp any shit as long as it is TB,even if it is broken TB like DOS games. What a sad bunch of retards,muh it is turn based slurp slurp.

but there's already at least 5 person parties in screenshots

rhollis

Educated
Patron
LoL so the D&D is the way BG should be played,no alignments,4 people party and dumbed down mechanics :lol:. Dumb TB fanatics would slurp any shit as long as it is TB,even if it is broken TB like DOS games. What a sad bunch of retards,muh it is turn based slurp slurp.

Swen confirmed 4 person party on twitter: https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1233431915274870784?s=20

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
"pg 83 of the DMG says that the ideal party size is 3-5 players"

That's all well and good for PnP where every player has their own character, but in a single-player campaign CRPG where much of the fun strategic decisions involve building an effective and interesting party, how can a 4-person cap be incline?

Also, as an aside to everyone celebrating TB only as incline and grognard, I hope you realize that the real reason it's preferred by Larian for BG3 is because it is much easier to control with a gamepad than RTwP. It's not about preserving PnP rules. They just want to make sure their eventual next gen console ports control well.

Larian is going with a four-person party for the reason most devs do: it's easier, less taxing on hardware, and they don't have to scale combat for larger parties.

I'll admit, I'm converting from 4-max to 5-max parties in my games and the difference in combat balance is huge. That being said, I'm one guy in a basement, not 350 people.

rhollis

Educated
Patron

Swen confirmed 4 person party on twitter: https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1233431915274870784?s=20

BG3 tagline: "Gather your party. It won't take long... Just pick up the other few guys at Fort Joy beach miscellaneous sandy river bed."

Delterius

Arcane

BG3 tagline: "Gather your party. It won't take long... Just pick up the other few guys at Fort Joy beach miscellaneous sandy river bed."
isn't it nice when the villain just gathers your party for you

sarevok never did that for me

ArchAngel

Arcane
Separately, can any of the Swen apologists explain to me how players will be able to experiment with diverse party builds in a four-person party system and why it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to limit the party to four in 5e?

I'm not a Swen apologist, I can't stand BG3's guts from what I've seen so far, but 4 is the actual, real "default" and presumed party size in the tabletop modules / campaigns for 5E, so that is why.
That is because around the table more players means each of the players gets less chance to do something and have fun and also harder for DMs to run the sessions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I will bet that half of them will end up as your enemy just like in dos2,it so fucking innovative guyz. And all that origins,just like in dos2,that one was a mindblowingly original too guyz.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Irenicus did, though.

But he kicked Khalid out of the party :( At least he was kind enough to replace him with this trustworthy Yoshimo guy.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Irenicus did, though.

But he kicked Khalid out of the party :( At least he was kind enough to replace him with this trustworthy Yoshimo guy.

Also opened up that hot mother figure romance option.

deuxhero

Arcane

Gorion tried to

Khalid: Fighter
Jaheira: Fighter/Druid
Imoen: Thief (Plot wise, she's be in the group if she wasn't a last minute addition to give an early game good thief and the story of BG2 was worked out already)
Gorion: Wizard

Level balance aside (four 1st level and one 8th level), that would be a good starting group.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can anyone explain to me (a) how a modder has the manpower to add TB to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, (b) how Owlcat has the manpower to add TB as an on-the-fly toggle for WotR, and (c) how Obsidian has the manpower to add a fully-fledged TB mode to Deadfire, but Larian can’t leverage its 350-person team to balance a RTwP version?

Nice point. Amazing questoin. IMO ideally they should give options ie - rtwp or tb?

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can anyone explain to me (a) how a modder has the manpower to add TB to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, (b) how Owlcat has the manpower to add TB as an on-the-fly toggle for WotR, and (c) how Obsidian has the manpower to add a fully-fledged TB mode to Deadfire, but Larian can’t leverage its 350-person team to balance a RTwP version?

Nice point. Amazing questoin. IMO ideally they should give options ie - rtwp or tb?

You already start in a crashed ship and can throw random objects from your inventory to damage enemies. Just keep making this Arcanum 2.0....

AuxUPcOxGANnuDuhj7kbgPK-VcIK9K4amEJFsUdOBrzT3xpvd4WKL6qS7PSQomQrMm_gXqA

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
WTF.

I stroked out and had a seizure from that picture. Just got back from the hospital. What a fucking horrible picture. Is this some sort of secret government cyber warfare you got your hands on? Shit is awful. Had to leap for my ativan and grab my phone and start screaming for siri to call 911.

It's just anime.
I knew it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom