Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Efe

Erudite
I don't like Civilization V, therefore it wasn't influential and didn't revive the genre.
Age of Wonders III would not have been made if not for the success of Civilization V. Do with that as you like.
i dont think this is true. First of all they play nothing alike. Its absurd to think AoW 3 is enabled by civ5 when you consider aow:sm is considered one of best in its genre.
also the fact that civ5 was horribly received until its expansions, first one raising it to average and 2nd one to a good game, doesnt support this thought.
lastly you can see that civ 4-5-6 coems out in formula of: new release, ~3 year dlc, ~3 year wait. this is like saying call of duty/fifa/etc is a genre reviver every time new one comes out. they are just staples that cater to mainstream

i'd say success of endless space, sins of a solar empire and total wars is a lot bigger influence on the genre.
there was no revival because it needed no revival. its a genre with steady releases.
edit: also dominions. another indie game that showed 4x can be profitable to indies

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Good grief. You guys are running far away from "Civilization V kicked off the 4X boom". The imagination of claims that were never made, just to be mad at them, is fascinating to watch.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pretty sure he mentioned that later stuff in the PoE section. Anyway, I don't remember his exact wording for Fallout 3 so I can't speak to specifics, I just know when writing history you have to be honest about the general perception and only mention the small minority opinion in balance with that. The Codex is a great place for free expression and complaining about mainstream priorities and whatnot, but when writing a book like that I think his approach made sense.

What about a sentence "lets not drag this further" dont you understand?

The whole book is "everything is nice, rpg games evolved and all games added to the wonderful genre".
But it wasnt nice and a lot of those games dragged the genre down and choked it for many years.

The only thing that changed it were all of us. It is all of us that changed things so much that today Turn Based games are considered a preferred approach and commercial success. Even fucking PoE2 got a TB mode.
Thats not a minority that should be in the foot notes you mass market fuck.

I just know when writing history you have to be honest about the general perception and only mention the small minority opinion in balance with that.

Thats not "honest", thats being a hypocrite and a sycopanth. Which is what you are.
That means changing your opinion when you are trying to sell something to the "masses" - which is the exact SAME issue most of us older generations despised to the core about the whole gaming industry and EXACTLY THE REASON for ages of decline.

That approach makes sense? Go fuck yourself.
On my ship you would be the first one on the plank.

Quillon

Arcane
What time is the announcement?
In about 4 and half hours.
And what form will this take? A random tweet, a trailer or some event?

They'll play it through Stadia,
rating_prosper.png
6 player co-op
rating_prosper.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Larian making BG3 it would be like Blizzard making Diablo 3 instead of Blizzard North.

The art style would be totally inappropriate and the tone of the game will be too cheeky.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The whole book is "everything is nice, rpg games evolved and all games added to the wonderful genre".
But it wasnt nice and a lot of those games dragged the genre down and choked it for many years.

The only thing that changed it were all of us. It is all of us that changed things so much that today Turn Based games are considered a preferred approach and commercial success. Even fucking PoE2 got a TB mode.
Thats not a minority that should be in the foot notes you mass market fuck.

Thats not "honest", thats being a hypocrite and a sycopanth. Which is what you are.
That means changing your opinion when you are trying to sell something to the "masses" - which is the exact SAME issue most of us older generations despised to the core about the whole gaming industry and EXACTLY THE REASON for ages of decline.

That approach makes sense? Go fuck yourself.
On my ship you would be the first one on the plank.

Laying the Codex edge on pretty thick there bro.

I just re-read his Fallout 3 entry in the book and it's fine. He bashes the writing hard, points out how it disappointed fans of the originals, mention mods that fix the game's shortcomings, but also acknowledges it was a big hit and had good exploration. Like most things in that book it's a good historical record and a fine job. Go ride your razor's edge down another hill.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian making BG3 it would be like Blizzard making Diablo 3 instead of Blizzard North.

The art style would be totally inappropriate and the tone of the game will be too cheeky.

I'm still praying for Divinity 3, but I wouldn't doubt Larian's ability to adjust their style accordingly for BG. Check Out Divinity 1 for example. Their recent style is very different, but it's not necessarily set in stone
o6VFhTu.jpg

Saerain

Augur
Patron

At the same time, the property encourages a departure from their usual. We'll see if Larian is as ego-bound to a signature "studio look" as Blizzard became, or if they can leave it as a Divinity style and diversify. With it being their first non-Divinity project, we can't exactly point to a precedent. But plenty of other studios have managed more artistic diversity than Blizzard...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
but I wouldn't doubt Larian's ability to adjust their style accordingly for BG. Check Out Divinity 1 for example

Divine Divinity was 17 years ago.
For nowadays gaming industry, that game is from Paleozoic.

I think the art designers of the original Divine Divinity are dead of old age.
And designing a 3D game to pay homage of a 2D game is hard stuff and a lot of work when you can make simplistic and cartooney World of Warcaft style graphics.
Pathfinder Kingmaker came close but not quite

Simply put, there is no human resource to make it happen

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Laying the Codex edge on pretty thick there bro.
I just re-read his Fallout 3 entry in the book and it's fine. He bashes the writing hard, points out how it disappointed fans of the originals, mention mods that fix the game's shortcomings, but also acknowledges it was a big hit and had good exploration. Like most things in that book it's a good historical record and a fine job. Go ride your razor's edge down another hill.
It isnt just about f3, stfu you dumb worthless hypocrite.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Having replayed Icewind Dale recently, it reminded me of one of the problems i have with modern gaymes, which is the lack of simple realism or earnestness if you will.

On one side you have the quality of the content, such as the combat system, the quality of the writing and so forth, but on the other there's the question of tone and intent which goes in tandem with that. There's really no "stylistic" priority, everything is as straightforward as it gets. Icewind Dale is meant to offer a fantasy gaming adventure and it does just that. Thus, the visuals are realistic, detailed and immersive. The music is cinematic and atmospheric. The voice acting is professional and on and on. The writing is pretty basic since this is a combat game but there's nothing in it that takes you out of the setting or that feels out of place. The whole product feels like the developers took a back seat to the game rather than the other way around.

A lot of modern games today seem to be very meta, where it is the setting or the gaming experience that takes a backseat instead, and the game is just a vehicle for the expression of a particular stylistic trend or personal interest of the developer. You are no longer flung into a world that is coherent, realistic or what have you, you are just experiencing a style or a genre and the setting and world is just window dressing.

If we look at Baldur's Gate, we already see a lot of questionable choices on the part of Bioware, the jokes, the pop culture references and all that garbage, but even so the approach is the same there as well. Will Larian take the same approach or will they go modern style, with non-realistic but stylistic visuals, with meta-writing that takes one out of the setting and so forth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom