Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
All I see is everyone else taking this shit lying down. I'm the only one standing up for what I believe. I'm the only one saying some brave shit, even when everyone disagrees and cries about it. That doesn't sound npc to me. I'm honestly starting to think the codex isn't hardcore enough. I joined because I respected how you guys called out decline but it turns out you're just as decline as Reddit. I need to move to the next stage, what is that? 4chan? I fucking hate 4chan.

Hahahahaha this is the funniest fucking thing. Ego issuuuues.

It's not ego. It's passion and a strong sense of justice and integrity.

but until photorealism dies, excessively glittery, plastic fantasy is here to stay across the board.

Except that is a contradiction, because the glittery, plastic fantasy has nothing to do with "photorealism", where as the Infinite Engine games did.

In fact, that plastic fantasy shit has more to do with indie games and their so called "artistic freedom". The first time i noticed it was around the time Torchlight was released. The combination of those cartoony 3D graphics with the Matt Uelmen familiar soundtrack playing in the back ground just felt jarring as shit to me, and the first time i started to resent colorful graphics, which became endemic in the industry afterwards, with Blizzard leading the charge probably with Warcraft 3 and WoW.
I think it might have started with japanese animation. Then cartoons shit. Then millennials never growing up and watching anime and cartoon shit until they are 40. Not sure though. Might just be a small part.

REEEEEE WHY WON'T LARIAN ADAPT A TURN-BASED RULESET AS SOME RTS-RPG MONSTROSITY REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no initiative
no alignments

adapted ruleset lmao

Alignement doesn't mean anything in 5e.
As for initiative, wait and see, someone made a very good point up above about JA2 using team based initiative, perhaps BG3's level design will make up for it.
Ja2 had interrupts you could set for your team where you could save action points and not use them and instead interrupt during the other sides turn and take shots as they moved into view or whatever.

Codex Year of the Donut
REEEEEE WHY WON'T LARIAN ADAPT A TURN-BASED RULESET AS SOME RTS-RPG MONSTROSITY REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no initiative
no alignments

adapted ruleset lmao

As for initiative, wait and see, someone made a very good point up above about JA2 using team based initiative, perhaps BG3's level design will make up for it.
Ja2 had interrupts you could set for your team where you could save action points and not use them and instead interrupt during the other sides turn and take shots as they moved into view or whatever.
That's sort of how 5E ready actions work(but require the action to be pre-declared and triggers are much more open-ended due to tabletop,) which will make a lot of this griping moot if they're implemented(I sure hope so)

from the 5E SRD:
Ready [Actions]
Sometimes you want to get the jump on a foe or wait for a particular circumstance before you act. To do so, you can take the Ready action on your turn, which lets you act using your reaction before the start of your next turn.First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it. Examples include “If the cultist steps on the trapdoor, I’ll pull the lever that opens it,” and “If the goblin steps next to me, I move away.”When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore the trigger. Remember that you can take only one reaction per round.When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires concentration. If your concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the webspell and ready magic missile, your webspell ends, and if you take damage before you release magic missile with your reaction, your concentration might be broken

Saravan

Savant
All I see is everyone else taking this shit lying down. I'm the only one standing up for what I believe. I'm the only one saying some brave shit, even when everyone disagrees and cries about it. That doesn't sound npc to me. I'm honestly starting to think the codex isn't hardcore enough. I joined because I respected how you guys called out decline but it turns out you're just as decline as Reddit. I need to move to the next stage, what is that? 4chan? I fucking hate 4chan.

Hahahahaha this is the funniest fucking thing. Ego issuuuues.

It's not ego. It's passion and a strong sense of justice and integrity.

This has to be a troll

Generic-Giant-Spider

5e is much more successful than the previous edition.

But a lot of 5E's success can be credited a lot more to being in a perfect storm situation. Geek culture stuff has gotten trendy and cooler than ever before and really took rise in the 2010s, you have McCree and Jaina Proudmoore's VAs streaming themselves playing D&D along with other "e-celebs" which is free promotion, even if D&D was stuck in that immensely shit 4E it would likely blow up in popularity as well. 5E's popularity has less to do with it being a genuinely great system and more that it happened to exist in the same neighborhood this tornado of nerd exaltation took place. Personally speaking, 5E isn't bad but let's face it: next to 4E just about anything would be better.

And I will even go further and claim this: I bet most people that purchase 5E stuff don't even play it or homebrew the shit out of things so hard it may as well be something else entirely. As I mentioned, nerd culture is trendy and hip, have some D&D books on your shelf and you look like you're "about that life."

Tytus

Arcane
We need some more news/details about the game, because this thread just devolved into the discussing the shame shit already.

no initiative
no alignments

adapted ruleset lmao

That's sort of how 5E ready actions work(but require the action to be pre-declared and triggers are much more open-ended due to tabletop,) which will make a lot of this griping moot if they're implemented(I sure hope so)

from the 5E SRD:
Ready [Actions]
Sometimes you want to get the jump on a foe or wait for a particular circumstance before you act. To do so, you can take the Ready action on your turn, which lets you act using your reaction before the start of your next turn.First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it. Examples include “If the cultist steps on the trapdoor, I’ll pull the lever that opens it,” and “If the goblin steps next to me, I move away.”When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore the trigger. Remember that you can take only one reaction per round.When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires concentration. If your concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the webspell and ready magic missile, your webspell ends, and if you take damage before you release magic missile with your reaction, your concentration might be broken
I hope they do that

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Stating opinion without actually trying the thing you are shitting on is a retarded decision as well.
I've played Lionheart:Legacy of the Crusader and Shadowrun Returns (didn't finish it though) if that counts and from generally playing RTS games so much, it seems going TB is just a waste of time.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
TB now considered "accessible."

The peasant you quoted plays current gen TB games, such as the ones Larian makes.

There is a yawning gulf between current gen TB accessibility and the accessibility of Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and ToEE, which would break the peasant's brain.
You mean to say real time is worse than save scumming until you get a good roll or cucking it out and taking RNG to your face?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nice to see positivity between Larian and Owlcat and vica verca:
kziTbek.jpg

On one hand, it is nice and... "wholesome" as the kids say.

But on the other hand, I'd SHIT TALK so hard if I was one of these guys. Also because I know this is all a load of shit. The reality is every time Swen had a bug or glitch or something wrong happened, Owlcat was laughing and giggling and doing prisyadka dances. I'd love it if more developers were honest and direct and did some good old fashioned Sega vs. Nintendo rivalry hijinks. Owlcat does what Larian don't, make up some bullshit like blast processing, claim BG3 has ransomware hidden deep in its code that will sell your information to drug cartels, give us a good fight. You think Swen is there going, "I sure hope Pathfinder's new game is a smashing success!" Hell no. He saw Owlcat's response there and was FUMING at their compliment.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can anyone explain to me (a) how a modder has the manpower to add TB to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, (b) how Owlcat has the manpower to add TB as an on-the-fly toggle for WotR, and (c) how Obsidian has the manpower to add a fully-fledged TB mode to Deadfire, but Larian can’t leverage its 350-person team to balance a RTwP version?

Separately, can any of the Swen apologists explain to me how players will be able to experiment with diverse party builds in a four-person party system and why it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to limit the party to four in 5e?
I can explain ! Because adding two modes in the same game is completely retarded, two modes if done right are radically different . Larian team is not retarded, so they dont waste time on this and just doing a real D&D game, something that has not happened since kotc .
4characters party builds still alows many combinations, most real D&D 5E group are no bigger , more could make the combat too slow 4 is a good spot. There's probably technical limitations as well , balancing for 6 members means adding more monsters , someday they will have to port this on the switch too.

What are these combinations? Bard/rogue to pick locks, fighter/paladin to tank, cleric/druid to heal, sorc/wiz to dps & cc? Where's the ranged (ranger) or melee dps (barbarian) class fit in? Porting to Switch--agreed that's the reason.
You have never played D&D 5, right? Each class can fill so many more roles. Druids, clerics and barbarians make excellent tanks, fighters and rogues are the best damage dealers (both ranged and melee). Anyone can pick locks, you don't need an entire character devoted to that. And there are many more examples. You can build very diverse party combinations even with 4 slots, but it would obviously be more fun with 5 or 6.
sounds zoomer shit, like everyone gets a trophy and everyone is awesome and speshul or they might throw a tantrum or come into the room with an Ar-15

It's like he is talking about WoW what the shit is that?

Rogues best damage dealers? Since the fuck when? Druids tanking lmao.

Seems like 5th edition is a COLOSSAL pile of shit. Everybody keeps telling me it's good but every time somebody mentions specifics it's all shit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Four PCs has been the official default since 3e actually, but every group I've ever played with viewed six as optimal.

Four is not enough for group diversity, you almost have to go fighter-mage-cleric-thief just to cover the basics.
Yes, just look at recommended party sizes from early D&D/AD&D modules:
Code:
Year Module # Range
1978 G1 9
1978 G2 9
1978 G3 9    "8 to 10"
1978 D1 8    "7 to 9"
1978 D2
1978 D3 8.5 "8 or 9 is not excessive"
1978 S1 8
1979 B1 4.5 "3 to 6"
1979 S2 7    "4 to 10"
1979 T1
1980 Q1 9   "10 is not excessive"
1980 C1 6   "5 to 7"
1980 C2 7.5 "5 to 10"
1980 A1 7   "6 to 8"
1981 A2
1981 A3 7.5 "6 to 9"
1981 A4 7    "6 to 8"
1981 B2 7.5 "6 to 9"
1981 B3 8   "6 to 10"
1981 X1 8   "6 to 10"
1981 X2 8    "6 to 10"
1981 I1 7   "6 to 8"
1981 L1 5   "2 to 8"
1981 U1 7.5 "5 to 10"
1981 S3 12.5 "10 to 15"
1982 B4 8   "6 to 10"
1982 X3 6.5 "5 to 8"
1982 S4 7   "6 to 8"
1982 N1 5.5 "4 to 7"
1982 U2 8   "6 to 10"
1982 R1 6
1982 R2 5
1982 R3 6
1982 WG4 8 "4 to 12"
1982 I2 8   "7 to 9"
1982 I3 7   "6 to 8"
1983 B5 7.5 "5 to 10"
1983 X4 7   "6 to 8"
1983 X5 7   "6 to 8"
1983 I4 7   "6 to 8"
1983 I5 7   "6 to 8"
1983 I6 7   "6 to 8"
1983 L2 8   "6 to 10"
1983 RPGA3 8 "6 to 10"
1983 RPGA4 8 "6 to 10"
1983 RPGA5 8 "6 to 10"
1983 R4 5
1983 UK1 7.5 "5 to 10"
1983 UK2 8   "6 to 10"
1983 U3 10   "8 to 12"
A party size of 4 is abnormally low.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Voat would be the next step. We need more posts in /v/gaming. Or 8kun. 4chan is shit.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Voat would be the next step. We need more posts in /v/gaming. Or 8kun. 4chan is shit.

Voat is actual garbage. Anything with a Reddit voting system is. How can I expect incline from people off of a website that's inherently decline?

I've never heard of 8kun though. Maybe I'll check it out. I've been here less than a month and I already need to ascend.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess what I'm trying to say is, get over your fucking nostalgia

Really, you fuckin dimwit?
Are you playing the nostalgia card when they have visual elements of the game nearly identical with DOS2 as if they're catering to nostalgia?

PS: Somebody tell that bitch that designs the UI that there are also other types of sacks on this world and this shit is beyond lazy.

565-Untitled.png

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
I guess what I'm trying to say is, get over your fucking nostalgia

Really, you fuckin dimwit?
Are you playing the nostalgia card when they have visual elements of the game nearly identical with DOS2 as if they're catering to nostalgia?

PS: Somebody tell that bitch that designs the UI that there also other types of sacks on this world and this shit is beyond lazy.

565-Untitled.png

kmJE71N.png

Those bags screens have a long history. In fact Larian games take a lot from Ultima games. Floor switch puzzles that you say in Divinity games are also Ultima's fault.
So it isn't that BG3 is copying DOS 2 designs it's more of a continued trend of copying Ultima :P

Tytus

Arcane
Voat is actual garbage. Anything with a Reddit voting system is. How can I expect incline from people off of a website that's inherently decline?

I've never heard of 8kun though. Maybe I'll check it out. I've been here less than a month and I already need to ascend.

8kun is just 8chan back under a different name

https://8kun.top/v/index.html

Is 8chan still on TOR? Are these two different sites now?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Being a rapefugee from /v/ or linking to that shithole should be a bannable offense.

I came here before I ever went to 8chan and the culture here is basically a spinoff of chan culture. I literally saw you use the word normalfag in this thread so I don't think you should be talking about people being chan refugees

Is 8chan still on TOR? Are these two different sites now?

I don't know if the TOR site still exists but 8kun is the real thing back in action

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom