Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
3r1jcq.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The first thing I'd do is remove all the SFX from the physical feats, that's just silly and not needed. I'd also tone down the spell SFX, it's also not needed for Guiding Bolt to look like a mini nuclear explosion. We don't have too many other visuals to go by, the one valley and the one crypt we've seen don't give us a clear picture. The models are also a bit too "clean", they look very much alike and like they've gone through extensive skincare routine to go out on the catwalk. They need more visual personality, just being a gith is not enough. She doesn't even look like a gith!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
But that's the thing, isn't it?

When it comes to CRPGs, people love the most the autistic ones. They allow to immerse into character and party building, fine tune builds, find broken combos, etc. People like Path of Exile, they don't like Diablo 3.

Smoothest fastest best playing may be good for tabletop, but who cares?

Yes, in that sense it means you can have a game that can be played by people who don't want to spend 40 hours figuring out broken combos. Just because 0.09% of the playerbase of a big-budget D&D title wants to min-max and spend hours poring over autistic shit and "optimize", doesn't mean this is intrinsically better than a game that offers SOME tactical options and customization, just not nearly as many, and doesn't require so much investment into sheer numbers.

You do not need to do this in any 2, 3.x or Pathfinder games as far as I'm aware, especially not on "normal".

On an unrelated subject, has there been any word on how they will handle resting and per rest abilities?
The real benefit of 5E IMO is for the DM. It's a lot easier and quicker to set up encounters. It was a little difficult to balance after a bit of whiskey though.

Agreed, and this extremely important for PnP since there is such a shortage of people willing to DM as well as DM burnout.

Delterius

Arcane
But a lot of 5E's success can be credited a lot more to being in a perfect storm situation. Geek culture stuff has gotten trendy and cooler than ever before and really took rise in the 2010s, you have McCree and Jaina Proudmoore's VAs streaming themselves playing D&D along with other "e-celebs" which is free promotion, even if D&D was stuck in that immensely shit 4E it would likely blow up in popularity as well. 5E's popularity has less to do with it being a genuinely great system and more that it happened to exist in the same neighborhood this tornado of nerd exaltation took place. Personally speaking, 5E isn't bad but let's face it: next to 4E just about anything would be better.

And I will even go further and claim this: I bet most people that purchase 5E stuff don't even play it or homebrew the shit out of things so hard it may as well be something else entirely. As I mentioned, nerd culture is trendy and hip, have some D&D books on your shelf and you look like you're "about that life."

5e is succesful because is less focussed around rules.

The focus of 5e is rpg. This is why critical role worked: they are actors and the 5e allow them to do their funny voice for 4 hours so people can watch them and having fun.

so a new player don’t need to learn a single rule he just need to think about a character and the DM can do the rest.

combat is also faster ( and a full round can still take 15-20 minutes when you have many players)

so the success come to be easy to play and easy to DM.
Sounds less like a GAME and more like a homoerotic LARP session.
So an RPG.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They need more visual personality, just being a gith is not enough. She doesn't even look like a gith!
You mean the nose?
The nose and the overall "mummy-like" appearance. They should look like as if their skin is stretched over their bodies/muscles. The characteristic liver-spot-like patches on their skin are also not there, I don't know what's up with those black tattoos on her face, Githyanki don't have those. Maybe they thought those spots are tattoos? This one looks more like a half-orc, and I thought she was a half-orc before I read the dialogue options. This is what a gith looks like:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
That man has good points.
Yeah, like where's Minsc? BG3 takes place one hundred years after the Bhaalspawn saga. Where could our dear Minsc possibly be? /s
Wasn't there a rumor going about that Larian was going to retcon it as him being petrified for all this time?

This is actually not a bad way to bring Minsc back into the game, at least as a companion. Pretty clever, actually. But, this is the kind of thing you can only use once, and they can't be gratuitous with the holdovers from BGII.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
This is going to be a great RPG, near 1 to 1 implementation of the actual fucking rules in a turn based game, 4 man team because no nerd in reality has a full 5 other people they can play with normally so again, true to form.
I wish they had titled this differently but that blame lies with WoTC.

The Autism that is the last 400 pages is unreal, If this was called "A Forgotten realms tale" or some such you would all be jumping for joy.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, get over your fucking nostalgia. Seems a lot of the haters would of never been satisfied with anything other than 1992 infinity engine sprites and shitty RTwP 2nd ed rules.

You're complaining about the rain, just eat what it helps grow.

The Infinity Engine wasn't around in 1992.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If all of your companions are origin stories, at least my worst case scenario of Minsc being a companion is going to be averted. I doubt they'll let us play as Minsc, lol.

Thunar

Educated
But offers way less options than 3.5e... Mainly without optional rules like feats
There's feats in 5e, they're also optional, there's even racial feats, class restricted feats and a butt-load of additional content ones.
They're also quite easy to home-brew, which is a strength in 5e in general it's a very flexible game, the end result is that 5e feels less "consistent" than 3.5, not in rules or anything, just in feel.
But hey, 5e's still pretty fun at the end of the day.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What really gets on my titties is when dim-witted faggots who have barely read any actual paper edition of D&D and whose only experience comes from playing CRPGs start giving authoritative opinions about which edition is best.

5E is literally the smoothest, fastest, best-playing and still strongly flavorful (i.e. "feels like D&D") official edition of the game that has ever seen the light of day. And if you're the sort of autist who prefers "depth" and "complexity" that come in the form of spending 15 minutes going up and down your sheet and tallying up the eleventy modifiers of your 12th level 3.5/PF character, then you're beyond salvation anyway.

Or you know, systems can co-exist and fill different niches.

Setting 5e players against PF/3.5 players has always been dumb.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
All I see is everyone else taking this shit lying down. I'm the only one standing up for what I believe. I'm the only one saying some brave shit, even when everyone disagrees and cries about it. That doesn't sound npc to me. I'm honestly starting to think the codex isn't hardcore enough. I joined because I respected how you guys called out decline but it turns out you're just as decline as Reddit. I need to move to the next stage, what is that? 4chan? I fucking hate 4chan.

Hahahahaha this is the funniest fucking thing. Ego issuuuues.

It's not ego. It's passion and a strong sense of justice and integrity.

It's a video game, you sad dopey fuck.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If SCL = 0, BG1/2 is 10, how do you classify this game? According to the reveal trailer, i would rate a 8/10. BUT if Larian decides to bring wow style itemization, cooldowns and number inflation, i would classify as 2/10.

Turuko

Learned
didn't they make something dumb in D&D online, like Boo was a divinity and Minsc his champion or something like that

Sacibengala

Prophet
That man has good points.
Yeah, like where's Minsc? BG3 takes place one hundred years after the Bhaalspawn saga. Where could our dear Minsc possibly be? /s
Wasn't there a rumor going about that Larian was going to retcon it as him being petrified for all this time?

This is actually not a bad way to bring Minsc back into the game, at least as a companion. Pretty clever, actually. But, this is the kind of thing you can only use once, and they can't be gratuitous with the holdovers from BGII.
This bullcrap excuse to bring minsc back was usedin a official comic book. And I believe he was not petrified, some imbecile asked a god or made a Wish spell or something on a statue of him. Because obviously he became an recognized hero. I could be wrong, because i'd never read something stupid as some random comics based on dnd (not again, at least, the drizz't one was awful enough for a lifetime)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom