Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If SCL = 0, BG1/2 is 10, how do you classify this game? According to the reveal trailer, i would rate a 8/10. BUT if Larian decides to bring wow style itemization, cooldowns and number inflation, i would classify as 2/10.
There are no cooldowns, that's for sure.
Wow style itemization and number inflation are too incompatible with D&D 5 to be even possible
Minsc won't be in the game. Calling it. They'll add new naive and heroic companion with space furry instead.
Now let's talk about Jan Jansen.
If Jan Jansen is in the game and he is not retconned as a gay furry the game is a 10/10 for me.

Chunkyman

Augur
"We were afraid that people would say that it was just Divinity: Original Sin 2 with a skin on top of it. We want no one to think that when they see it," Walgrave says. "Apart from technical improvement, we basically threw away the gameplay engine that drives all the ruleset because D&D is so different from what Original Sin was. We did keep a lot of things, mostly the systems and the simulation of the world. But as a producer, I think the biggest risk we took was changing so many things in the worlds, because it would give the Q&A team a lot of work."

Well at least they know.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/baldurs-gate-3-preview

Good to hear they're aware of this and are actually trying to differentiate the games (it already seemed pretty apparent to me from seeing the gameplay video, but I guess some people are worried about this).

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Limiting reactions to AoO only is really disappointing, I think Solasta did a fine job in implementing that. I hope they reconsider this along with the initiative system after it hits the early access.

Mortmal

Arcane
Seems like 5th edition is a COLOSSAL pile of shit. Everybody keeps telling me it's good but every time somebody mentions specifics it's all shit.

The rules in 5E are less strict and more open to interpretation which is either positive or negative depending how you look at it and it tries to be more streamlined yet provide flexibility but not to the same vastness that 3.5 has (nowhere close, actually). 5E isn't a bad system, it has this appeal to it that just about anyone can make a character and have it do well while in 3.5 if your character is trash then you'll definitely know it very soon. A lot of 3.5's appeal is that it rewards knowledge of the system, the more you know the better you become and that spans from players to DMs. The better versed everyone is in 3.5, then it becomes exponentially more enjoyable. 5E is something you bust out and engage anyone with because the rules take a backseat, combat is fast, and you can focus a lot more on the storytelling and interactions.

It's not bad if you're into dumb fun, but if you're a hardcore PnP player you'll crave something deeper eventually. If 4E never existed, I'd definitely rank 5E on the bottom though.
5E at the Bottom near 4E no , not any close of the bottom . I rate 5E as good as becmi, i would like a becmi with milestones instead of playing accountant and replacing that unintuitive thaco although. 5e beat pathinder in popularity , cause you can keep the game going faster. Pathfinder has lot more builds, but one day i still end up joining a session ,a friend had exact same build as me .. Ton of options but everyone will pick the best.You just google the class read the guide and pick the golden feats now.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
7ErA0ah.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Reviewing the presentation I see action economy has been mangled beyond recognition and in favor of the player: clerics casting two spells in a turn, free disengagement with anime jumps, free attacks with improvised weapons...
You can cast 2 spell.
Shield of faith is bonus action so you can also cast a cantrip.

She casts Guiding Bolt, moves, casts Shield of Faith and ends her turn.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, gamers are very oppressed, it's not like gaming is the most profitable entertainment industry in the world and gaming characters aren't pop culture figures or anything. Rise up, sheeple!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All I see is everyone else taking this shit lying down. I'm the only one standing up for what I believe. I'm the only one saying some brave shit, even when everyone disagrees and cries about it. That doesn't sound npc to me. I'm honestly starting to think the codex isn't hardcore enough. I joined because I respected how you guys called out decline but it turns out you're just as decline as Reddit. I need to move to the next stage, what is that? 4chan? I fucking hate 4chan.

Hahahahaha this is the funniest fucking thing. Ego issuuuues.

It's not ego. It's passion and a strong sense of justice and integrity.

It's a video game, you sad dopey fuck.
Ahhh that is why he is passionate,just like most of us. Sure the world won't end and won't affect your life,but it is understandable to be butthurt because of that shit for a few days.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

I'd bet they buy it within the first month.

I'm sure some of these other idiots complaining will but I will never even pirate this game. It's disgusting. I can't even watch that gameplay Video without feeling sick. How would I get through an entire game?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I'd bet they buy it within the first month.

I'm sure some of these other idiots complaining will but I will never even pirate this game. It's disgusting. I can't even watch that gameplay Video without feeling sick. How would I get through an entire game?
Oh i will pirate the shit out of it. Too much free time and not enough rpgs to fill it. At least i will get a few funny ratings from posting mocking screenshots in the thread :lol:

jackofshadows

Magister

We're witnessing a very bizarre design approach here. With all that enormous focus on cinematics, cut-scenes, visuals in general which are suppose to lead to immersion they also add something like this (I dont wanna mention thouse fucking dialogue options once more which are all about the same thing, apparently). Even if they'll remove that dice eventually (simply coz it's jarring af), what were they thinking?! Epic cinematic PnP experience, my ass.
Then how come JA2, aka the best TB squad tictacs money can buy, was team-based initiative?
There's an interruption mechanic which is huge counterweight. You can't just move around like crazy during your turn and kill anyone you want. I've seen mentions above ITT about something very similiar in 5e but looks like nothing implemented in BG3 yet.

Black

Arcane
That and there are no spellcasters in JA2. A single character in D&D can have a way larger impact on battle than any single merc in JA2.

Shadenuat

Arcane

We're witnessing a very bizarre design approach here. With all that enormous focus on cinematics, cut-scenes, visuals in general which are suppose to lead to immersion they also add something like this

is it me or they just stole it from Disco Elysium?
obviously without much thought since Disco is isometric and self aware/satirical; while Divinity 3 is supposed to be epic/cinematic/immersive.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
"Cater to my specific fetishes!"

And before anyone says anything, no, Shadowheart (or whatever her name was) is not ugly. And it wouldn't matter even if she were. This guy just wants a specific type of woman, a cougar like Viconia or super innocent girls of dubious age.

She isn't particularly hot either, seems like a perfectly average non-obese woman to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're witnessing a very bizarre design approach here. With all that enormous focus on cinematics, cut-scenes, visuals in general which are suppose to lead to immersion they also add something like this (I dont wanna mention thouse fucking dialogue options once more which are all about the same thing, apparently). Even if they'll remove that dice eventually (simply coz it's jarring af), what were they thinking?! Epic cinematic PnP experience, my ass.

That's just it, isn't it? It may be that the the root of a large part of Codex anti-Larianism, which began about a year after D:OS 2's release and how now erupted in full, is just how unusual yet bizarrely successful their approach has been. How much it goes outside the box and our preconceptions of what an "oldschool turn-based RPG" is supposed to be like.

Turn-based combat...with multiplayer? Throwing your boot at enemies and dipping your arrow in fire? Weird third person dialogue options with BioWare-esque characters? They do all this weird playful crap in a turn-based context, and it works for them. It works beyond belief. "This...this isn't how it's supposed to be!", cries the grognard.

We need a term for the Larian model of RPG which, like it or not, may define the next half-decade of isometric roleplaying. Perhaps we can call it "the new turn-based" - Nu-TB.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Ugh. Fucking hate dice rolls in conversation checks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom