Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also find it fascinating how people think that BG 3 being a smash hit is a guaranty.

Place your bets. Is smart money on its financial success or failure? (limited to this bet)
In all seriousness (due to the fact that you can be huge troll, I'm not sure how serious you are), I think this question has always been there, because D:OS 2 had been a kickstarter project and they never made enough money to be AAA, but here is now Swen talking in AAA terms - and so... where is he getting all the money from?

The answer seems to be that he is going for the Early Access gamble.

I'm willing to bet that Swen, as always, is going to be true to his word: he is going to make money enough to make a better RPG. Which probably means a bit above the line.

That's my bet.

Ulysa

Scholar
No day\night cycle confirmed by the devs, because "it will conflict with multiplayer".

They wanna create a believable world, the best Crpg ever, 300 people and they cannot even afford a day night cycle which almost the totality of the classic rpgs of the last 20 years had.

I really hope this game fails along with Larian.
Are you fucking kidding me? Ok fuck this shit, fuck it really hard. They can't even add this stupid tiny thing. But hey, throwing boots!!! :rage:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
where is he getting all the money from?
There's a reason why BG3 has been announed on only one platform other than PC: Stadia.

Larian isn't dumb, they know their TB game can make a lot of money on console. DOS2 did. I bet they're getting a serious cash injection from Jewgle to not announce multiplatform. At least not for a little while after release (or until Stadia tanks).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what does everyone think of the 4 person party. I think it's great that we're not going to be bogged down with too much. Wouldn't want the game to be too Chaotic. Or differ too much from DOS2.
I'm glad it doesn't have cuck relationships like PFK where the orc asks you watch him fuck his elf girlfriend
Think again. Githyanki all like to cuck each other. And one of them is a romance option in this game.
Are you actually comparing a supposed romance where the member of an alien race doesn't expect an exclusive relationship from the MC because her society doesn't do exclusive relationships to a romance, currently existing in Kingmaker, where you go through a love triangle for more than half the game?

If you have the guts to say that the gith romance that is going to end western civilization is the same as the MC-octavia-regongar romance, you are hopless.
Cucked is cucked. At least Octavia is somewhat attractive so you're getting something out of the cuck. I would not let a Gith cuck me
You convinced me. Octavia is more attractive than the green alien, therefore Kingmaker is the superior game and WotR will be miles better than Larian's Cuckhold's Gate

DraQ

Arcane
Types of Pro-DOS commenters

Pro-DOS strongmen.
Modus operandi: brutal domination.
Rhetoric: yes, this is DOS3, pledge your allegiance to your new overlords, BG plebs.

Pro-DOS diplomats.
MO: pacification
Rhetoric: the form is not final, wait for something to change, wait for EA/release/patch/EE/sequel.

Pro-DOS infantry.
MO: making it all about TB vs RTWP
Rhetoric: TB is good, RTWP is bad, who cares about story and tone.

Pro-DOS clerics.
MO: religious indoctrination
Rhetoric: come brothers and sisters, enjoy these rabbits, squirrels and rainbows we're offering. Lighthearted approach is almost upon us.

Pro-DOS merchants.
MO: property rights
Rhetoric: WotC says this is BG3, that's why this is BG3

Sent from my NX551J using Tapatalk
Now do one for anti-DOS.

Sent from my NX551J using Tapatalk
I already did.
Gibberlings, all of you.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No day\night cycle confirmed by the devs, because "it will conflict with multiplayer".

They wanna create a believable world, the best Crpg ever, 300 people and they cannot even afford a day night cycle which almost the totality of the classic rpgs of the last 20 years had.

Are you fucking kidding me? Ok fuck this shit, fuck it really hard. They can't even add this stupid tiny thing. But hey, throwing boots!!! :rage:
It's not a tiny thing at all.

A day-night cycle is only valuable if it changes something else than lighting. For that, you need serious systems to make it work: NPCs schedules that change with the time of day, visibility and stealth differences, moments to trigger quests and events. Not many games have done it right. I can think of two: the Gothics, and Arcanum (and the Witcher 1 to a lesser extent). In both cases NPCs did different stuff at night than during the day. Night time has sleeping people, valuables behind lock and key, patrols, stealth possibilities, etc.

Either you go full cycle, or you don't do it. Larian is wise not investing resources if they're not willing to go all in on this.

Also, given the way Larian does TB while other characters not in combat are in real time, the flow of time wouldn't work well for cycles. Does time only pass for characters not in TB? In that case, what happens if players outisde the fight join it, while some are in nighttime and the others in daytime? Which visibility rules do you apply, for one? The alternative, that time passes for everyone based on a IRL clock, isn't better. In that case, one fight of 10 rounds could start during the day and end during the next day, a full cycle having passed while in fact the fight would only have taken 1min in D&D time (6s/round). Both ways of doing cycles would have problems.

jackofshadows

Magister
Also it will fuck up shadow mechanics making stealth broken as fuck.
They'd manage it easily enough but I think the real reason behind non-including day/night cycle - avoiding scripting nightmare in the biggest forthcoming city (besides mentioned possible multiplayer issues). Still a shame.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
There's a reason why BG3 has been announed on only one platform other than PC: Stadia.
…Because the next-gen consoles aren't out yet.
Seemed pretty obvious to me that they'll be announced for console when those release, which is sometime later this year.
Maybe. They could've said "we'll be on next-gen consoles", they could've said "we'll see when we know more about next-gen consoles", they could've said "rest assured, we released DOS2 on consoles, we won't abandon our console fans". But they're being tight lipped for a reason IMO.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Seemed pretty obvious to me that they'll be announced for console when those release, which is sometime later this year.

Maybe this is why they're casualizing the game so much. Because apparently these days console players want to participate in actual rpg games but they can't handle the real stuff.

Mazisky

Magister

A day-night cycle is only valuable if it changes something else than lighting. For that, you need serious systems to make it work: NPCs schedules that change with the time of day, visibility and stealth differences, moments to trigger quests and events. Not many games have done it right. I can think of two: the Gothics, and Arcanum (and the Witcher 1 to a lesser extent). In both cases NPCs did different stuff at night than during the day. Night time has sleeping people, valuables behind lock and key, patrols, stealth possibilities, etc.

Either you go full cycle, or you don't do it. Larian is wise not investing resources if they're not willing to go all in on this.

Also, given the way Larian does TB while other characters not in combat are in real time, the flow of time wouldn't work well for cycles. Does time only pass for characters not in TB? In that case, what happens if players outisde the fight join it, while some are in nighttime and the others in daytime? Which visibility rules do you apply, for one? The alternative, that time passes for everyone based on a IRL clock, isn't better. In that case, one fight of 10 rounds could start during the day and end during the next day, a full cycle having passed while in fact the fight would only have taken 1min in D&D time (6s/round). Both ways of doing cycles would have problems.

I don't know how you can justify them when the 99% of the classic RPGs from 1992 till 2020 had a day night cycle, even if only ahestetic just for the world-building. They all had a surplus of resources to throw in the bin?

The resources saved from not implementing a day\night cycle will be put into creating fucking talking squirrels or cats, considering this is Larian.

Codex Year of the Donut

Maybe this is why they're casualizing the game so much. Because apparently these days console players want to participate in actual rpg games but they need something simple as a gateway to the real stuff.
rtwp was a casualization to attract the mainstream audience at the time you dumbshit

Codex Year of the Donut

I don't know how you can justify them when the 99% of the classic RPGs from 1992 till 2020 had a day night cycle, even if only ahestetic just for the world-building. They all had a surplus of resources to throw in the bin?
What does a day/night schedule add to a game that doesn't have detailed NPC schedules?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Maybe this is why they're casualizing the game so much. Because apparently these days console players want to participate in actual rpg games but they need something simple as a gateway to the real stuff.
rtwp was a casualization to attract the mainstream audience at the time you dumbshit
It was made rtwp to appeal to RTS players who were big at the time. Dumb shit. RTS is still played today almost exclusively competitively. If it's so casual why is every casual complaining about how its too hard to understand?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron

The resources saved from not implementing a day\night cycle will be put into creating fucking talking squirrels or cats, considering this is Larian.
Did you even read what I said? My argument was that implementing it solely in an aesthetic manner would create many problems and offer close to nothing. And on top of that, it would create aesthetic problems: such as day becoming night and then day during a 1min TB fight. Or that your stealth chance is the same during the day and the night.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

It was made rtwp to appeal to RTS players who were big at the time. Dumb shit. RTS is still played today almost exclusively competitively. If it's so casual why is every casual complaining about how its too hard to understand?
You are being retarded for the sake of being retarded. It's not "too hard to understand", it's too chaotic and hectic to present the player with as meaningful challenges as a TB system could do. Since the player doesn't have precise control over the encounter, encounters need to be simpler and easier to deal with. That's it. Stop using arguments that exists only in your head. You can't argue with other people and decide what their arguments are.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
What does a day/night schedule add to a game that doesn't have detailed NPC schedules?

Stealth. Atmosphere. They could also even include some quests that would make a lot of sense to take place at night. Some events at night can feel a lot different than during the day.
so… nothing.
I think atmosphere is pretty important. Maybe Larian fan boys disagree since they're constantly being bombarded with dos games horrible atmosphere. I can understand why you would hate something if you're use to your favorite game doing it so badly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom