Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
Most of these complaints seem like nitpicking to me, RTwP games have much bigger problems than this for example, yet people aren't spamming the Wrath of the Righteous thread with how much that game deviates from table-top and how each class' minutiae aren't exactly copied to the letter, and how that is horrendously shit.
1. Wrath of the Righteous will have a TB mode, even it is a big question how good and true to PnP it would be.
2. Owlcat trying to build their own name and make their own thing, instead of exhuming a corpse of beloved franchise out of the grave and trying to stretch molecule-thin layer of well-decayed skin over their own body.

Owlcat are making a game based on Paizo's concepts. Larian have built their success on the Divinity games which enabled them to work on BG3. So pray tell the difference.

By the way I bought and played PF:KM and will buy their new one too, I enjoy both styles.

Anonona

Learned
1. Maybe? Drinking potions as a bonus action is a popular house rule, though. It really depends on the encounters I guess, but it does indeed seem like you can start behind a corner, go attack someone, and go back behind the corner at the end. This might be subject to change, who knows..

As far as I'm aware, you can do another action in the middle of your move action and then continue moving on e5. So if you speed is 30ft, you can move 10ft, attack, and then move 20ft.

And it is interesting how you people all talk about how tb is the way you should play D&D and how it is the original system etc etc. Yet in the end it was BG and its RTwP that pushed the D&D in to the computer market and made it popular. There were plenty of D&D TB games before that,but none managed to do that. It was BG that propelled D&D forward and introduced it to a lot of people around the world.

The thing is, you are making the point that RtwP is more popular, not better. If we follow that metric, then BG3 should be a battle royale to reach peak incline. You are not wrong necessarily in that RtwP may actually be the most popular, but I think the main concern and topic of discussion is if the game is going to be good or not, which as of now I think we lack enough information to properly surmise as encounter design will be essential to determine such thing, and not all classes and mechanics have been shown. We both can agree that Kingmaker hasn't done the big numbers other franchises like Dragon Age or Mass Effect have, but I think many will not hesitate to proclaim Kingmaker as the better game. It doing good also has no bearings of TB vs RtwP being how a D&D game should be, it has always been a discussion about sticking to the PnP rules or if RtwP is better for simulation and CRPGs.

Last edited:

Chunkyman

Augur
RTwP games have much bigger problems than this for example, yet people aren't spamming the Wrath of the Righteous thread with how much that game deviates from table-top and how each class' minutiae aren't exactly copied to the letter, and how that is horrendously shit.

Success breeds jealousy. :shittydog:

Codex Year of the Donut
That alone makes you sound like you didn't really play the games tbh
I started D:OS twice but lost interest completely in the middle of chapter 2 both times. Never got to the D:OS 2.

I planned to make third attempt soon, but replaying BG with new mod setup + Slay the Spire (crazy addictive) turned out to be more attractive.
as head of the Larian fanclub I insist you cease slandering the D:OS games immediately

Anonona

Learned
Larian's combat design from my D:OS experiences is all about putting kegs, boxes and puddles in the right places so player could notice them, set on fire and feel "Cooooool" and smart after.
That alone makes you sound like you didn't really play the games tbh

It is quite surprising how many people criticizes games here without haven't even tried them, to the point they just repeat what other say as facts or straight up lie to try and win a discussion. Not just D:OS too.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, yeah, this IS about nostalgia and nothing else.

Right now it IS about a game that:
1) Pilfered too much from the D:OS duo that I never had a hots for
2) With horrible writing and art-style on the garish side of ugly
3) Based on the system I never had a hots for. Only point of interest for me since I love older D&D enough that there are could be a place in my heart for the last version of it (a bit castrated & neutered). IF combat design will be good enough.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The elemental sinergies are kinda of gimmicky though. Cast a storm to generate a water puddle and cast lightining on it to electrify it and stun enemies could be easily achieved with a spell the stun enemies right away.

norolim

Arcane
Divine Divinity was good. Not a masterpiece but was OK
It had good quests and exploration, but writing was typical Larian shit and character progression was absolute rubbish. I finished the game with over 20 unused skill points and I was still 1-hit killing most enemies. Most bosses including the final one didn't last more than 10 seconds with my warrior. After mid-game there was maybe one "challenging" encounter. I didn't use Poison Weapon or weapons with Frost, because even without those combat was extremely easy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The elemental sinergies are kinda of gimmicky though. Cast a storm to generate a water puddle and cast lightining on it to electrify it and stun enemies could be easily achieved with a spell the stun enemies right away.
If the system is deep enough, you can do more cool things.

Cast a storm to create water on the ground.
+ fireball = creates steam which limits visibility, or burn damage.
Or + ice = makes the ground slippery to make the enemies fall, losing a round.
or +electricity = to stun enemes with electric charge.
And all of these are AoE speels, while a single stun spell could probably just target one enemy. Might be gimmicky, but a cool gimmick.

Harthwain

Magister
And if it's true that the current assets are mostly placeholders

That dev statement was damage management. Those are not placeholders. Now their evaluation is clear: how many sales we lose because of that versus how much it costs to slightly redesign the UI. And don't expect miracles either because they're ossified in their ways like Blizzard that is unable to make a game that has not the artistic direction of World of Warcraft.
I am not expecting miracles. In fact, I am sceptical. Here is the full sentence:

And if it's true that the current assets are mostly placeholders - I am not too convinced in this regard, but we shall see - then that would address my major issue about how the game feels like D:OS 3, rather than a BG series, from the aesthetic point of view.

Why parhfinder don’t have doubled is kicstarter money after bg3 reveal?
I wasn't the one who made the comment about preparing for "BG refugees", so... *Harthwain shrugs* Still, the truth remains - there is no alternative for people who liked real-time with pause model of playing. So if they really want that kind of game, then Pathfinder is their best bet at the present. I know that some people are mentioning Pathfinder as an alternative whenever the RTwP topic is involved on BG reddit, so apparently many simply don't even know about it.

Wait what's going on here? Am I being told to not be racist in the codex? STACK OVERFLOW EXCEPTION
Wouldn't that be... nationalist? Or xenophobist? Russian is not a race after all.

As for the TB....well i would have curbed my butthurt about it,if it was only it. But i don't recognize anything from the old D&D games in this pile of shit. I see cooldown spells,4 people party,throwing shoos and dipping bows,retarded pretentious writing,broken mind flayers lore,wrong camera,everyone is bi-fag,etc etc. If anything this whole ordeal just made me replay some old D&D games like dark sun and pool of radiance. Oh well,i will leave you people to your spitefulness and hate.
You don't recognize anything from the old D&D games, because it's a new DnD game (5.0, not 3.5). That's it.

PoE RTwP is pretty bad compared to BG/IWD RTwP.

That's only because Sawyer thought it was a good idea to have engagement and AoO in a real-time system. And the numbskull from Larian is bundling IE games with PoE, which I'm not a fan of in general.
He's not incorrect when it comes to describing RTwP as a system though. Unless you claim he has problems with some finer points of RTwP and not with RTwP itself (which I doubt).

PoE RTwP is pretty bad compared to BG/IWD RTwP.

That's only because Sawyer thought it was a good idea to have engagement and AoO in a real-time system. And the numbskull from Larian is bundling IE games with PoE, which I'm not a fan of in general.
Was engagement THAT influential over the flow of combat? I almost never noticed it, since usually melee characters sticked to melee enemies and vice versa
In my opinion - yes. In BG you could kite melee enemies. In PoE you had to stick to them or use abilities, otherwise you'd eat attacks of opportunity (which mostly meant you ate attacks anyway). I agreed with Sawyer when he said that the lack of melee engagement of any kind made melee less threatening/useful and more prone to exploiting (imagine enemies ignoring your warrior to get to your mage/archer), but his solution to this was not a good one.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
If the system is deep enough, you can do more cool things.

Cast a storm to create water on the ground.
+ fireball = creates steam which limits visibility, or burn damage.
Or + ice = makes the ground slippery to make the enemies fall, losing a round.
or +electricity = to stun enemes with electric charge.
And all of these are AoE speels, while a single stun spell could probably just target one enemy. Might be gimmicky, but a cool gimmick.
nah all you can do is things like electrifying water, real simple stuff
image.png

:M

Tytus

Arcane
So what does everyone think of the 4 person party. I think it's great that we're not going to be bogged down with too much. Wouldn't want the game to be too Chaotic. Or differ too much from DOS2.

I think 4 person party is too much to handle for any serious player. The first Neverwinter Nights had a good idea when it comes to this. Two person party is the maximum any player needs.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Nobody likes the 4-man limit, dumbass. No need to get cute.
I mean some idiots complained enough to Josh Sawyer that he took away a character from them. I would expect people who like DOS2 simplifying things to be the same. Swen literaly said they need to modernize the game by simplifying it and he's doing that to appeal to his original sin following.

Saravan

Savant
I mean some idiots complained enough to Josh Sawyer that he took away a character from them. I would expect people who like DOS2 simplifying things to be the same. Swen literaly said they need to modernize the game by simplifying it and he's doing that to appeal to his original sin following.

Do you just sit all day on these forums alternating between jacking off in the Pathfinder thread and nerdraging here?

Codex Year of the Donut
So what does everyone think of the 4 person party. I think it's great that we're not going to be bogged down with too much. Wouldn't want the game to be too Chaotic. Or differ too much from DOS2.
I'm glad it doesn't have cuck relationships like PFK where the orc asks you watch him fuck his elf girlfriend

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Do you just sit all day on these forums alternating between jacking off in the Pathfinder thread and nerdraging here?
I have a really boring job with a lot of downtime. Maybe I should turn off these emails notifications...

Thal

Prophet
Party size shouldn't be looked in isolation. A 4-man party was likely chosen because the rest of the design required it. Since they clearly plan to keep the DOS-style environmental interactions, those combos would become easier to execute with more people. Same thing with height advantage. If you place 4/6 in high positions vs 2/4, you're looking at a vastly easier encounter. I think the bigger problem in terms of party is if you have only a small pool of possible companions to choose from, which is to be expected given that everyone is fully voiced.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm glad it doesn't have cuck relationships like PFK where the orc asks you watch him fuck his elf girlfriend
Think again. Githyanki all like to cuck each other. And one of them is a romance option in this game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
that was old game. new one will have copypasted Balors

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom