Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
we love our Ontopoly!
Eat my ass bitch.

I'm convinced you guys only egg me on so I can bump your stupid game's thread so you guys can jerk each other off about how popular and successful it is already.

Are you some type of degenerate that only communicates through memes? Imagine making a whole meme just so you can give a quick reply that's as shit posty as everything else on this site.

Once again, give it a rest.

I'm pretty sure you don't want me to give it a rest, considering how much you beg for my attention all the time.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm convinced you guys only egg me on so I can bump your stupid game's thread so you guys can jerk each other off about how popular and successful it is already.
No, I really respect your opinions. I think BG3 is headed the bad turn with TB and writing.
It's not just them just heading there. It's influencing the industry to head that way too because a bunch of casual degenerate Larian cucks will buy that crap up.

jackofshadows

Magister
Is there any? I thought none. Anyway, the biggest question is "when the early access?" and the answer is probably aug at best.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, I really respect your opinions. I think BG3 is headed the bad turn with TB and writing.
It's not just them just heading there. It's influencing the industry to head that way too because a bunch of casual degenerate Larian cucks will buy that crap up.
I spent almost 50€ on Torment: Tides of Numenera, buying Baldur's Gate 3 won't be the worst thing I have ever done with my money.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
we love our Ontopoly!
Eat my ass bitch.

Are you some type of degenerate that only communicates through memes? Imagine making a whole meme just so you can give a quick reply that's as shit posty as everything else on this site.
The worst part is that they are not even funny.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Codex 2010: Give me turn-based or death. Infinty Engine games were good despite RTWP

Codex 2020: Turn Based is casual and degenerate.

Elex

Arbiter

Codex 2010: Give me turn-based or death. Infinty Engine games were good despite RTWP

Well if you look close you notice that this topic is:

“ohh cool it’s turn based! Ah larian can’t put their retarded thing! They have to follow 5e ruleset! Oh no the dialogue is retarded, oh no i hope they fix initiative during EA”

“the poster above me is a larian fan! Larian will ruin the game because of the fan boy above me!!! Rtwp is good, turn based is trash because last two larian game are turn based and the fanboy above me want to defend larian!!!”

Silly Germans

Well if you look close you notice that this topic is:

“ohh cool it’s turn based! Ah larian can’t put their retarded thing! They have to follow 5e ruleset! Oh no the dialogue is retarded, oh no i hope they fix initiative during EA”

“the poster above me is a larian fan! Larian will ruin the game because of the fan boy above me!!! Rtwp is good, turn based is trash because last two larian game are turn based and the fanboy above me want to defend larian!!!”

Don't beat around the bush, are you a Larian fan or not ? Perhaps we should start anew ?

Ohhh cool it's turn based!

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Fluent hates BG3 so much that most of his posts are in this thread, lul.

Fluent has moved onto a better forum now. I'm just ontopoly

Don't beat around the bush, are you a Larian fan or not ? Perhaps we should start anew ?

Ohhh cool it's turn based!

What?! It's turn based? Larian shouldn't have made this game but since they are they should have at least stuck to the roots rather than just make dos3. They couldn't make a good game themselves so they tried to just high Jack one. They'll probably include their shit sense of humor and all the other crap their games are known for rather than try to appeal to the bg fans and the BG games. Trash company with trash games. Swen is a sell out.

User0001

Savant
What?! It's turn based? Larian shouldn't have made this game but since they are they should have at least stuck to the roots rather than just make dos3. They couldn't make a good game themselves so they tried to just high Jack one. They'll probably include their shit sense of humor and all the other crap their games are known for rather than try to appeal to the bg fans and the BG games. Trash company with trash games. Swen is a sell out.

Insightful as always, Ontopoly!

What do you think about this one?

CMV: Baldur's Gate is a really shit game
renderTimingPixel.png

So, Baldur's Gate! A classic computer CRPG. It introduced the world to active combat, a staple of MMO's. It brought the beloved Dungeons and Dragons role playing game to your computer screen. Any CRPG fan will recommend you this game.

I fucking hate this game a lot and here's why:

COMBAT

I have nothing against turn based or active combat. Nor do I have any particular complaints to be made against Baldur's Gate's combat. It's a perfect replication of ADnD's combat systems, complete with equipment, classes, spells, and everything you loved from 2e.

No, the real problem with Baldur's Gate's combat is the abundance of it.

Every single problem throughout all of Baldur's Gate leads back to its obsession with combat. The creators of ADnD knew that too much combat meant a boring session: the game would get stale. They intentionally made attacking unreliable, so players would either use spells intelligently, or would seek an alternate solution to problems, or would creatively defeat their enemy before the fight even began. In other words, they encouraged creativity. Later editions would make attacking more consistent, moving the impetus of creativity on to the DM, but that's another discussion.

In Baldur's Gate, there's only ONE path to be taken with combat. Well, 2, but really one. You click on your enemy and hope that you hit your enemy before they hit you. Or you use a spell to asplode them. Your only real choice is to nuke the shit out of your enemy, with no way to cleverly circumvent or protect against them.

The developers didn't even bother to make encounters interesting. Like, when you get to the bottom of the Nashkel mines, you meet Mulaney. You can try and bullshit him to get some stuff, but he attacks you anyway. You can cast silence on him, but he just magically screams through it. No matter what you do, he will always call in a big group of skeletons and kobolds.

And the only thing to do is just hack at them. Once Mulaney falls, you wait for your characters to get lucky and kill all the other enemies. Mulaney himself just casts Hold Person and then whacks at you the whole time. That's boring! There's no strategy to be made here aside from basic spells and attacking!

This focus on combat also disadvantages a LOT of classes. Thieves have become the equivalent of a Pokémon HM slave, and bless you if you try to actually PLAY as one. If you want to play as a Fighter or Mage, this is certainly the game for you, but otherwise, you'd best look elsewhere.

WRITING

Early on, in the Candlekeep area, you might encounter a man who asks your identity. He then attacks you. Ah! you might think, a random event! Then the same thing happens in the same area.

There are no less than ten of these encounters throughout the whole game. They all play out EXACTLY the same. You always know the MOMENT you see them that they're going to attack you. They always ask who you are. You're always given the option of lying. It NEVER, NEVER, NEVER WORKS.

This design philosophy is reflected in the entire game. Alternate paths, alternate solutions, are rare. You'll always follow pretty much the same path every single time you play.

Is that what DnD is about? Is DnD about pottering from one place to another, accomplishing little aside from monotonous combat? Making your character as min-maxed as possible, hoping to survive the constant bullshit the devs throw at you? Never being creative, or going away from the path the devs set you on?

Fuck this game. I haven't even gotten into the real heart of the issues with the game, the obnoxious companions, the constant overpowering enemies in early areas, the unbearable voice lines.

God, I hope BGII is as much of an improvement as they say it is.
https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/6qjwvj/cmv_baldurs_gate_is_a_really_shit_game/

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
What do you think about this one

It's a Reddit post which automatically makes it retarded.
It's on a subreddit where people pretend like they want someone to changed their mind but the post contains "I fucking hate this game a lot and here's why:" so he's obviously not interested or expects anyone to change his mind which makes it retarded.

He thinks the only thing that you can do in combat is click an enemy and hope you hit before they do, completely ignoring character building, positioning, PC roles, etc which makes not just the post but him himself retarded.

He called the combat active combat and said it's now a staple in every MMO????? Retarded.

He expects a video game from 1998 to recreate a gm so he doesn't have to use combat in a video game because he's too simple to realise he's losing because all he's doing is left clicking all the enemies and hoping he wins. Something only an idiot would do.

And lastly, it's a post on Reddit. How the fuck did you even come across it? Unless you're a Redditor scum just like him.

It's the exact type of post I would expect from Reddit. Some dumb fuck that has no idea about how something works and instead of either learning how to work it or just finding a game that appeals more to his casual idiotic self (Dos2), he cries about it but phrases it as some sort of weird change my view. Who the fuck would even make a post asking someone to help them like something they absolutely hate? Only an idiot who wants attention would do something like that. Even I'm not that thirsty for attention

Reddit is trash, it's a post on Reddit, therefore the post is trash.

User0001

Savant

Insightful as always, Ontopoly!

What do you think about this one?

CMV: Baldur's Gate is a really shit game
renderTimingPixel.png

So, Baldur's Gate! A classic computer CRPG. It introduced the world to active combat, a staple of MMO's. It brought the beloved Dungeons and Dragons role playing game to your computer screen. Any CRPG fan will recommend you this game.

I fucking hate this game a lot and here's why:

COMBAT

I have nothing against turn based or active combat. Nor do I have any particular complaints to be made against Baldur's Gate's combat. It's a perfect replication of ADnD's combat systems, complete with equipment, classes, spells, and everything you loved from 2e.

No, the real problem with Baldur's Gate's combat is the abundance of it.

Every single problem throughout all of Baldur's Gate leads back to its obsession with combat. The creators of ADnD knew that too much combat meant a boring session: the game would get stale. They intentionally made attacking unreliable, so players would either use spells intelligently, or would seek an alternate solution to problems, or would creatively defeat their enemy before the fight even began. In other words, they encouraged creativity. Later editions would make attacking more consistent, moving the impetus of creativity on to the DM, but that's another discussion.

In Baldur's Gate, there's only ONE path to be taken with combat. Well, 2, but really one. You click on your enemy and hope that you hit your enemy before they hit you. Or you use a spell to asplode them. Your only real choice is to nuke the shit out of your enemy, with no way to cleverly circumvent or protect against them.

The developers didn't even bother to make encounters interesting. Like, when you get to the bottom of the Nashkel mines, you meet Mulaney. You can try and bullshit him to get some stuff, but he attacks you anyway. You can cast silence on him, but he just magically screams through it. No matter what you do, he will always call in a big group of skeletons and kobolds.

And the only thing to do is just hack at them. Once Mulaney falls, you wait for your characters to get lucky and kill all the other enemies. Mulaney himself just casts Hold Person and then whacks at you the whole time. That's boring! There's no strategy to be made here aside from basic spells and attacking!

This focus on combat also disadvantages a LOT of classes. Thieves have become the equivalent of a Pokémon HM slave, and bless you if you try to actually PLAY as one. If you want to play as a Fighter or Mage, this is certainly the game for you, but otherwise, you'd best look elsewhere.

WRITING

Early on, in the Candlekeep area, you might encounter a man who asks your identity. He then attacks you. Ah! you might think, a random event! Then the same thing happens in the same area.

There are no less than ten of these encounters throughout the whole game. They all play out EXACTLY the same. You always know the MOMENT you see them that they're going to attack you. They always ask who you are. You're always given the option of lying. It NEVER, NEVER, NEVER WORKS.

This design philosophy is reflected in the entire game. Alternate paths, alternate solutions, are rare. You'll always follow pretty much the same path every single time you play.

Is that what DnD is about? Is DnD about pottering from one place to another, accomplishing little aside from monotonous combat? Making your character as min-maxed as possible, hoping to survive the constant bullshit the devs throw at you? Never being creative, or going away from the path the devs set you on?

Fuck this game. I haven't even gotten into the real heart of the issues with the game, the obnoxious companions, the constant overpowering enemies in early areas, the unbearable voice lines.

God, I hope BGII is as much of an improvement as they say it is.
https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/6qjwvj/cmv_baldurs_gate_is_a_really_shit_game/

It's a Reddit post which automatically makes it retarded.
It's on a subreddit where people pretend like they want someone to changed their mind but the post contains "I fucking hate this game a lot and here's why:" so he's obviously not interested or expects anyone to change his mind which makes it retarded.

He thinks the only thing that you can do in combat is click an enemy and hope you hit before they do, completely ignoring character building, positioning, PC roles, etc which makes not just the post but him himself retarded.

He called the combat active combat and said it's now a staple in every MMO????? Retarded.

He expects a video game from 1998 to recreate a gm so he doesn't have to use combat in a video game because he's too simple to realise he's losing because all he's doing is left clicking all the enemies and hoping he wins. Something only an idiot would do.

And lastly, it's a post on Reddit. How the fuck did you even come across it? Unless you're a Redditor scum just like him.

It's the exact type of post I would expect from Reddit. Some dumb fuck that has no idea about how something works and instead of either learning how to work it or just finding a game that appeals more to his casual idiotic self (Dos2), he cries about it but phrases it as some sort of weird change my view. Who the fuck would even make a post asking someone to help them like something they absolutely hate? Only an idiot who wants attention would do something like that. Even I'm not that thirsty for attention

Reddit is trash, it's a post on Reddit, therefore the post is trash.

:lol:

He thinks the only thing that you can do in combat is click an enemy and hope you hit before they do

What combat action can any class without spells use?

completely ignoring character building

Picking class and
Yeamsth.jpg
?

positioning

Any positioning in addition to melee front and range at the back?

He expects a video game from 1998 to recreate a gm

THE HORROR! In 1998?!?!
1997:
Fallout.jpg

because he's too simple to realise he's losing because all he's doing is left clicking all the enemies and hoping he wins

This focus on combat also disadvantages a LOT of classes. Thieves have become the equivalent of a Pokémon HM slave

He called the combat active combat and said it's now a staple in every MMO?????

What's wrong with that statement? Pause?

You had a chance here, Ontopoly, to actually prove everyone wrong about you by taking the challenge seriously. Instead, you used 3/5 of the response to talk about Reddit, conveniently avoiding having to put effort in. Disappointing...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom