Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
20 people butthurting him
Fixed. Also, Larian is way bigger now.
Butthurt grandpa. TB is inferior to RTwP #cope :smug:
Why don't you petition Bethesda to pay off Larian and claim BG3 for themselves?
I'm sure they will make it real time and you will be able to pause in it.
You will be hailed as saviour!

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You had a chance here, Ontopoly, to actually prove everyone wrong about you by taking the challenge seriously. Instead, you used 3/5 of the response to talk about Reddit, conveniently avoiding having to put effort in. Disappointing...

I think I did fine. Your responses were either you being a cheeky cunt or just trying to over simplify something to make it seem more bare bones than it is. There's no character limit so it doesn't matter how much I dedicate to shit talking a shit site.
I'm disappointed in you.
Instead of using your own words like a proper human being you found a post from two years ago from some casual that thinks Baldur's Gate combat heavily influenced MMOs. I'm glad you're dedicated to bugging me but recognize your too dense to come up with something so you went googling to find something to give me. Just as I expected from my stalker. Even though you have nothing to say you will go out of your way to get my attention.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Why don't you petition Bethesda to buy off Larian and claim BG3 for themselves?
Shit sandwich or shit sandwich. The only thing worse than either of these companies is having to deal with someone so unwilling to put in some effort that they'll just link me to some two year old shit rant and then add an emoji so they feel like they contributed something to someone else's argument. A rant by someone who barely got through any of the game is worth shit, and someone using that rant to replace their own is worth half of that shit. Half of some casual's shit equals everything Larian has to offer. Congrats User0001 you're worth double what Larian has to offer

DraQ

Arcane
What?! It's turn based? Larian shouldn't have made this game but since they are they should have at least stuck to the roots rather than just make dos3. They couldn't make a good game themselves so they tried to just high Jack one. They'll probably include their shit sense of humor and all the other crap their games are known for rather than try to appeal to the bg fans and the BG games. Trash company with trash games. Swen is a sell out.

Insightful as always, Ontopoly!

What do you think about this one?

CMV: Baldur's Gate is a really shit game
renderTimingPixel.png

So, Baldur's Gate! A classic computer CRPG. It introduced the world to active combat, a staple of MMO's. It brought the beloved Dungeons and Dragons role playing game to your computer screen. Any CRPG fan will recommend you this game.

I fucking hate this game a lot and here's why:

COMBAT

I have nothing against turn based or active combat. Nor do I have any particular complaints to be made against Baldur's Gate's combat. It's a perfect replication of ADnD's combat systems, complete with equipment, classes, spells, and everything you loved from 2e.

No, the real problem with Baldur's Gate's combat is the abundance of it.

Every single problem throughout all of Baldur's Gate leads back to its obsession with combat. The creators of ADnD knew that too much combat meant a boring session: the game would get stale. They intentionally made attacking unreliable, so players would either use spells intelligently, or would seek an alternate solution to problems, or would creatively defeat their enemy before the fight even began. In other words, they encouraged creativity. Later editions would make attacking more consistent, moving the impetus of creativity on to the DM, but that's another discussion.

In Baldur's Gate, there's only ONE path to be taken with combat. Well, 2, but really one. You click on your enemy and hope that you hit your enemy before they hit you. Or you use a spell to asplode them. Your only real choice is to nuke the shit out of your enemy, with no way to cleverly circumvent or protect against them.

The developers didn't even bother to make encounters interesting. Like, when you get to the bottom of the Nashkel mines, you meet Mulaney. You can try and bullshit him to get some stuff, but he attacks you anyway. You can cast silence on him, but he just magically screams through it. No matter what you do, he will always call in a big group of skeletons and kobolds.

And the only thing to do is just hack at them. Once Mulaney falls, you wait for your characters to get lucky and kill all the other enemies. Mulaney himself just casts Hold Person and then whacks at you the whole time. That's boring! There's no strategy to be made here aside from basic spells and attacking!

This focus on combat also disadvantages a LOT of classes. Thieves have become the equivalent of a Pokémon HM slave, and bless you if you try to actually PLAY as one. If you want to play as a Fighter or Mage, this is certainly the game for you, but otherwise, you'd best look elsewhere.

WRITING

Early on, in the Candlekeep area, you might encounter a man who asks your identity. He then attacks you. Ah! you might think, a random event! Then the same thing happens in the same area.

There are no less than ten of these encounters throughout the whole game. They all play out EXACTLY the same. You always know the MOMENT you see them that they're going to attack you. They always ask who you are. You're always given the option of lying. It NEVER, NEVER, NEVER WORKS.

This design philosophy is reflected in the entire game. Alternate paths, alternate solutions, are rare. You'll always follow pretty much the same path every single time you play.

Is that what DnD is about? Is DnD about pottering from one place to another, accomplishing little aside from monotonous combat? Making your character as min-maxed as possible, hoping to survive the constant bullshit the devs throw at you? Never being creative, or going away from the path the devs set you on?

Fuck this game. I haven't even gotten into the real heart of the issues with the game, the obnoxious companions, the constant overpowering enemies in early areas, the unbearable voice lines.

God, I hope BGII is as much of an improvement as they say it is.
https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/6qjwvj/cmv_baldurs_gate_is_a_really_shit_game/

It's a Reddit post which automatically makes it retarded.
It's on a subreddit where people pretend like they want someone to changed their mind but the post contains "I fucking hate this game a lot and here's why:" so he's obviously not interested or expects anyone to change his mind which makes it retarded.

He thinks the only thing that you can do in combat is click an enemy and hope you hit before they do, completely ignoring character building, positioning, PC roles, etc which makes not just the post but him himself retarded.

He called the combat active combat and said it's now a staple in every MMO????? Retarded.

He expects a video game from 1998 to recreate a gm so he doesn't have to use combat in a video game because he's too simple to realise he's losing because all he's doing is left clicking all the enemies and hoping he wins. Something only an idiot would do.

And lastly, it's a post on Reddit. How the fuck did you even come across it? Unless you're a Redditor scum just like him.

It's the exact type of post I would expect from Reddit. Some dumb fuck that has no idea about how something works and instead of either learning how to work it or just finding a game that appeals more to his casual idiotic self (Dos2), he cries about it but phrases it as some sort of weird change my view. Who the fuck would even make a post asking someone to help them like something they absolutely hate? Only an idiot who wants attention would do something like that. Even I'm not that thirsty for attention

Reddit is trash, it's a post on Reddit, therefore the post is trash.

:lol:

He thinks the only thing that you can do in combat is click an enemy and hope you hit before they do

What combat action can any class without spells use?

completely ignoring character building

Picking class and
Yeamsth.jpg
?

positioning

Any positioning in addition to melee front and range at the back?

He expects a video game from 1998 to recreate a gm

THE HORROR! In 1998?!?!
1997:
Fallout.jpg

because he's too simple to realise he's losing because all he's doing is left clicking all the enemies and hoping he wins

In Baldur's Gate, there's only ONE path to be taken with combat. Well, 2, but really one. You click on your enemy and hope that you hit your enemy before they hit you. Or you use a spell to asplode them. Your only real choice is to nuke the shit out of your enemy, with no way to cleverly circumvent or protect against them.

This focus on combat also disadvantages a LOT of classes. Thieves have become the equivalent of a Pokémon HM slave

He called the combat active combat and said it's now a staple in every MMO?????

What's wrong with that statement? Pause?

You had a chance here, Ontopoly, to actually prove everyone wrong about you by taking the challenge seriously. Instead, you used 3/5 of the response to talk about Reddit, conveniently avoiding having to put effort in. Disappointing...
You could make a really funny BG instructional vid from your post. Starting with glorious chargen.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL even garbage tier game like fallout 3 is better than larian at this point. Killing mindflayers in skyrim mod sounds fun. You are irrelevant old man,go away now.:smug:

Shit sandwich or shit sandwich. The only thing worse than either of these companies is having to deal with someone so unwilling to put in some effort that they'll just link me to some two year old shit rant and then add an emoji so they feel like they contributed something to someone else's argument. A rant by someone who barely got through any of the game is worth shit, and someone using that rant to replace their own is worth half of that shit. Half of some casual's shit equals everything Larian has to offer. Congrats User0001 you're worth double what Larian has to offer
It is amazing how the worst thing they could tell about the games is that they are shit at it. A bunch of sad little pensioners.

DraQ

Arcane
LoL even garbage tier game like fallout 3 is better than larian at this point. Killing mindflayers in skyrim mod sounds fun. You are irrelevant old man,go away now.:smug:
Quite the contrary, this is the point where I will break out some popcorn* and watch with morbid amusement.
:avatard:
Wait, that's pizza.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Taking easy shots at Bethesda because it's the cool thing to do while blindly jerking off a company that's much worse. Larian literally thinks that the future of gaming is just simplifying it. Swen feeds and the dogs eat. The dogs don't question what they're eating because they have cult like loyalty to some guy

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Quite the contrary, this is the point where I will break out some popcorn* and watch with morbid amusement.
:avatard:
Wait, that's pizza.
Actually i do make pretty good butter popcorn.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Taking easy shots at Bethesda because it's the cool thing to do while blindly jerking off a company that's much worse. Larian literally thinks that the future of gaming is just simplifying it. Swen feeds and the dogs eat. The dogs don't question what they're eating because they have cult like loyalty to some guy
Ontopoly, (since you like the word so much) LITERALLY nobody gives a fuck about Swen and Larian. You are so obsessed with this company that you see Larian fanatics everywhere, but they exist only in your mind.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ontopoly, (since you like the word so much) LITERALLY nobody gives a fuck about Swen and Larian. You are so obsessed with this company that you see Larian fanatics everywhere, but they exist only in your mind.
Oh my god, this makes me think about something... maybe YOU don't exist and I'm so obsessed with you that my mind perceives you as real. This would explain a lot of things.

DraQ

Arcane
Eh, I think Swen is a pretty swell guy and Larian is a pretty good company.
Not fantastic, mind you, but positive overall. I'm rather happy they exist and wish them well.
They also managed to never have made an Oblivion or Fallout 3 so that also speaks in their favour, and they generally tend to innovate in interesting directions when they do, even if they pull their punches and end up with something a bit half-assed.

If only they managed to avoid getting hamstrung by their adherence to a few particularly retarded game design tropes, stuff could get really interesting, which is actually the main reason I'm even interested in BG3 where working with FR setting and DnD mechanics (neither of which I hold in high regard) prevents them from applying those particular tropes.
Were it not for that I have a hard time envisioning what could possibly interest me in BG3 being made.

Elex

Arbiter
I can already see the Todd explaining the R.T.W.P. Mechanic of BG3 you press a key and the game stop a bar appear and you can fill the bar with certain actions performed by the character and press ok and the character start a slow mo animation performing it!!!!
It just work!

Cael

Arcane
Oh my god, this makes me think about something... maybe YOU don't exist and I'm so obsessed with you that my mind perceives you as real. This would explain a lot of things.
giphy.gif

DraQ

Arcane
giphy.gif
NJClaw If so, please let us out of your insanity.
We don't want to share anyone's mind with Ontopoly.
No one does.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
No one does.

My mind is amazing.
If you could truly share my mind you would see how foolish you all were. You would immediately love BG2, hate Dos2, think swen is a sell out, admit you're a Larian cuck with no taste and no respect for a series that clearly deserves it. You would all mass rate User0001 for me because I'm not allowed to myself. You would probably enjoy life a lot more because you would be playing all the good games and none of the bad games. We could finally build a new forum that isn't shit because although rpgcodex is trash, it's the best we have. Swen would be fired and all his work would be retroactively undone. All the future games that would have been inspired by bg3 would not exist. A team of true fans of BG would get together, make a proper spiritual successor without running their grimy hands all over it. The game would be great and honor Baldur's Gate series with out stealing it's name. Everyone would play the game because it's the new big thing. Playing the game would leave them wanting more. They would go to my forum which only allows talk about real RPGs and not just any game with half assed rpg mechanics or other games that clearly aren't RPGs. On this forum they would ask me what games are like the new bg spiritual successor. I would guide them to Baldur's Gate. They would rejoice. Every self proclaimed rpg lover will have played bg and would love it. More developers would realize that their passion of only making BG spiritual successors is viable and they would begin immediately. I would Usher us into the new rpg Golden age. It would be real time with pause, and be based off Pathfinder which is a much better system than dnd. Turn based games will be forgotten, although some would remember heroes of might and magic. Homm style would be the only type of turn based game allowed. Tb cultists will remember how foolish they were and beg for forgiveness. They will not receive it. Swen would spend the rest of his life doing something productive; making sure no one else makes the same mistake he once made. Baldur's Gate 3 would not exist, and the world would be better for it.

DraQ

Arcane
No one does.

My mind is amazing.
It's not your mind, it's NJClaw 's, I thought we have already established that?
Now get the fuck out of his head, you're making him insane and we don't appreciate the company either.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No one does.

My mind is amazing.
If you could truly share my mind you would see how foolish you all were. You would immediately love BG2, hate Dos2, think swen is a sell out, admit you're a Larian cuck with no taste and no respect for a series that clearly deserves it. You would all mass rate User0001 for me because I'm not allowed to myself. You would probably enjoy life a lot more because you would be playing all the good games and none of the bad games. We could finally build a new forum that isn't shit because although rpgcodex is trash, it's the best we have. Swen would be fired and all his work would be retroactively undone. All the future games that would have been inspired by bg3 would not exist. A team of true fans of BG would get together, make a proper spiritual successor without running their grimy hands all over it. The game would be great and honor Baldur's Gate series with out stealing it's name. Everyone would play the game because it's the new big thing. Playing the game would leave them wanting more. They would go to my forum which only allows talk about real RPGs and not just any game with half assed rpg mechanics or other games that clearly aren't RPGs. On this forum they would ask me what games are like the new bg spiritual successor. I would guide them to Baldur's Gate. They would rejoice. Every self proclaimed rpg lover will have played bg and would love it. More developers would realize that their passion of only making BG spiritual successors is viable and they would begin immediately. I would Usher us into the new rpg Golden age. It would be real time with pause, and be based off Pathfinder which is a much better system than dnd. Turn based games will be forgotten, although some would remember heroes of might and magic. Homm style would be the only type of turn based game allowed. Tb cultists will remember how foolish they were and beg for forgiveness. They will not receive it. Swen would spend the rest of his life doing something productive; making sure no one else makes the same mistake he once made. Baldur's Gate 3 would not exist, and the world would be better for it.
fantadomat forget butter popcorn, get the butthurt popcorn.

User0001

Savant
My mind is amazing.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::o

I can die happy now.
This is the most beautifully hilarious thing i have ever seen.
Onto, I need to know your age! I want to understand more about the brilliant mind that was able to conjure this.

Wonder if Fanta would like to live in Ontopoland?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
My mind is amazing.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::o

I can die happy now.
This is the most beautifully hilarious thing i have ever seen.
Onto, I need to know your age! I want to understand more about the brilliant mind that was able to conjured this.

Wonder if Fanta would like to live in Ontopoland?
Shit, I will probably need to actually read that now.

Edit:

Ok, I have, changed the rating to
:prosper:.

Relevant XKCD OOTS:
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0886.html
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0887.html
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0888.html
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0889.html
Minus the ending sadly.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom