Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
Blogs are making a huge come back. I'm making my own in fact. Stay tuned. Lilura I'm coming for your spot as top rpgcodexer blog.
Ok you manage to win my support in this battle.

Saravan

Savant
lm9ixFN.jpg

First prize gets autism.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, yeah. You haven't played Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm or ToEE, yet you post walls of text on Morrowind and Skyrim.

Gets back to the tragic taste thing I mentioned before.
Is there anything comparable to S2 or JA2 that is neither WW2 nor just modern military thing?
WW2 just no longer gets my dick up, even if it's WW2 with powered armours.

Gameplay wise it might be something I could enjoy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lacrymas, I still can't decide if you being wrong on this one was a blessing or a curse.
The best thing to do is not to feed it, it thrives on attention. It's not a very good troll, though, it just uses inflammatory language it has no business using due to inferior taste and inability to think in context in order to stir up trouble.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Is there anything comparable to S2 or JA2 that is neither WW2 nor just modern military thing?

In terms of isometric + TB, only ToEE can stand alongside those two without being laughed, booed and egged off-stage.

But you don't like D&D so... or do you want to clarify?

Also, I'm playing Children of a Dead Earth at your recommendation. However, learning curve is p. steep.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't support drugs or alcohol. Only degenerates drink. That shit is all gateway drugs. Canada legalized weed now they want to legalize magic mushrooms. No one goes straight to magic mushrooms. weed opened the Gate to legalize another drug. Perfect definition of a gateway drug.

Yesterday they legalized marijuana. Today they legalize magic mushrooms. Tomorrow? Black tar heroin.
Don't worry, you don't need magic mushrooms.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
When I think about it DnD license and Larian are a match made in heaven, since DnD covers many of the fault Larian game have
-Boring locations - not an issue with a licensed setting
-Lackluster monster selection - no comment needed
-Terrible itemization - magical items don't go up to 367 in DnD
-Boring advancement - not an issue with licensed system
The only thing DnD sadly cannot fix is shitty writing. But I really want to see a DnD game with Larian's environmental interactions. This part sucked even in the good adaptations like ToEE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
As long as they don't overdo it on the environmental interactions, yeah. Having every battlefield littered with barrels of various types of excrement is not ideal. Itemization is going to be ok as long as they give adequate and unique rewards for quests and exploration, something that is sorely lacking in D:OS1, probably in D:OS2 too. I think everyone agrees the writing is going to be at least cringe. Here's the thing with that, unless they can control themselves for 5 minutes (which I don't think they'll be able to) it's going to be too epic and BG1's sense of adventure is going to be butchered. We are going to be funneled from one set piece to another. Look, a Spelljammer! Now look over here, grand temples! The grand temple is now diamonds a burning fortress of the mindflayers! Quick, escape on the red dragons of the gith! Baldur's Gate, the city, in glorious 3D!!!!! EXPLOSION!!!! DUM dararara DUM dararara DUM tatatatatatata.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This thread certainly has been redeemed.
They need to include some of these posts in the game as dialogue choices, like the "rusty halberd" option in BG1. :lol:

As long as they don't overdo it on the environmental interactions, yeah. Having every battlefield littered with barrels of various types of excrement is not ideal. Itemization is going to be ok as long as they give adequate and unique rewards for quests and exploration, something that is sorely lacking in D:OS1, probably in D:OS2 too. I think everyone agrees the writing is going to be at least cringe. Here's the thing with that, unless they can control themselves for 5 minutes (which I don't think they'll be able to) it's going to be too epic and BG1's sense of adventure is going to be butchered. We are going to be funneled from one set piece to another. Look, a Spelljammer! Now look over here, grand temples! The grand temple is now diamonds a burning fortress of the mindflayers! Quick, escape on the red dragons of the gith! Baldur's Gate, the city, in glorious 3D!!!!! EXPLOSION!!!! DUM dararara DUM dararara DUM tatatatatatata.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Spelljammer again.

The writing and art will be garbage, but that is always known. They have shown us grimdark, and it will probably be try-hard initially. We all know better. We're going to get a pulpy, bombastic, romp that will be full of frivolous fun. It will not be something to be taken seriously, but I imagine it will be enjoyable none-the-less. I agree with Gangrelrubmler that the majority of Larian's weaknesses can be obviated by strict adherence to the D&D 5E ruleset, and lesser extent, setting. How much they deviate will determine this game's ultimate fate.

Also, the final throws of the game are going to look alot like a medieval fantasy version of any final act of a Star Wars film. Hopefully it will be ridiculous in a good way, like Cyseal in D:OS1 was.

Perhaps adapting some PnP module would fix the problem with writing, but I don't really know how good are the adventures for the current edition.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's the chance of an involvement of someone from WotC in the writing process? We know they had a role in deciding how to adapt and balance classes, so maybe they did something also on other fronts.

After all, this game can't fail, they need to do everything they can to be sure that doesn't happen.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Larian are pulling all the strings here, all the interviews I've skimmed show Swen lording over them. That's why they are allowed to mangle and rape the lore the way they are.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lilura , you need help.
Seriously.
Said the old man needing help to wipe his own ass....

He's definitely a bad poster. Horrible even.

He's a good poster with tragic taste in RPGs. He's mostly pettily vindictive but has rare moments of admirable even-handedness.

He holds grudges and carries them from thread to thread. He'll take 5% of your taste in RPGs and try to paint that as 100%.

For example, I've written on Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE and other RPGs besides, but he tries to paint me as a Diablo 2 fan and nothing more (because of an argument we had 6 years ago).
Yeah,i too have noticed that drag queen is really petty cunt.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hm... Now that you mention it, you do sound a bit like fanta.
Is that an attempt at personal insult??? DO you want to get scrapped?

Also do hold the opposite view on the matter lol. If you spend years of shit posting in thousands of posts,you just don't move on with it,you get kicked out and feel really butthurt about it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm going to crush you and win.

You couldn't crush an empty paper bag. You make DraQ seem monocled in comparison.

sorinmask , Cael and a few other shitposters have literally tried to build blogs to compete with mine.

Where are they now? Crushed by my King Content, and deleted. They reverted to shitposter status; lost in the shuffle, and unread.

I've defined the Renaissance era of RPGs and have coined 100s of terms; invented its language. You are but a gnat compared to my power.
I could crush you if i feel like doing it. All i have to do is pay 500euro some hacker to brute force your password and just take over your blog,why waste time and effort starting from scratch when you can cheat and get on top :smug:.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Imagine being such a retarded fag that you would support anything made in 5e.
Imagine the majority of faggots in this thread being such retards. The codex has fallen to new low,looking forward to when it becomes a visual novel discussion board,more power to disco :smug:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom