Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. NJClaw Ontopolover by choice Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I will subscribe to your Patreon if you start uploading voiced commentary to YouTube.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    The written word is more powerful as it pertains to SEO and authoritativeness.

Audio-visual is for YouTube scrubs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • (autism) (autism) x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. guestposting Educated

guestposting
    Lilura, start a podcast. Only way to stay relevant in this dark time.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. George Duroy Scholar

George Duroy
    Here we go again, when there is one woman who plays old classics or talks about gaming, every men out there give her attention and money for nothing because she has a vagina( or supposedly). It never changes.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. User0001 Savant

User0001
    There are no women on internet, only ways to get more attention. Therefore this fit Lilura's behavioral profile.

Even tho it's obvious, stop trying to ruin the fun!

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    Me: I would rather find a dm that punishes mistakes. The problem is finding one like this.

This guy: DMs can crush you but you're too stupid to want one that will. You are also stupid

??????????

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    He's definitely a bad poster. Horrible even.

If you think about it everyone is a flavor of autism. Autism is a spectrum which means it covers everyone. That's how spectrums work.

You single handedly brought this thread back and kept it going, yes. When the thread was dead and they wanted to force it's revival the same way swen now wants to force BG's revival (what a sell out hack) they called you to come do it. But that's not what happened. When they needed someone I'm the person who received an email notification and I'm the one who came crawling back to this miserable place.

• Funny x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    He's a good poster with tragic taste in RPGs. He's mostly pettily vindictive but has rare moments of admirable even-handedness.

He holds grudges and carries them from thread to thread. He'll take 5% of your taste in RPGs and try to paint that as 100%.

For example, I've written on Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE and other RPGs besides, but he tries to paint me as a Diablo 2 fan and nothing more (because of an argument we had 6 years ago).

• Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Saravan Learned

Saravan
    Is it legal to be this retarded?

Someone could have a conversation with you about different coffee flavors and you would find a way to mention Jagged Alliance.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    All this just convinces me that he's even more horrible than I thought.

• No No x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. NJClaw Ontopolover by choice Patron

NJClaw
    Petition to change the forum title to:

"rpgcodex > Ontopoly came crawling back to this miserable place"

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Does Bobby Ray sell coffee?

^ Top  
  14. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So, any idea of how the stat-allocation system will look like?

Show Spoiler

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Me, re-rolling characters in Baldur's Gate:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. NJClaw Ontopolover by choice Patron

NJClaw
    It looks very D:OS-like:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

I guess those "+" and "-" use the point buy system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    I was going to argue here but since you agree that ToEE is a better adaptation of DnD ruleset than Baldur's Gate than I guess you can see why going turn-based can be a straight-upgrade.

IGN is ranked first for normal people, Google is fucking with your results because they know you google yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    That's actually correct. When you google "Baldur's Gate tips" or walkthrough, or retrospective, you get a bunch of results before Lilura's blog. Only the retrospective has her blog on the first page of the results, which is still great. Googling "Baldur's Gate best weapons" does bring up the blog as the first result, but not best spells or armor. Googling "Infinity Engine blog" also brings up a handful of results before Lilura.

I don't think many people google those specific things either way, though. When I need walkthroughs for RPGs (mostly to check if I've missed something), I usually go for Gamebanshee because their format allows easy filtering/selection of zones, which is what you usually want. They also have a neat database of items which can also be filtered.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    Only time I organically stumbled on lilura's blog was because I was looking some specifics on amiga emulation, it was after hours of googling on the topic though.

^ Top  
  19. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Dude... PoE has only added extra stats, and maybe 1 or 2 mobs extra - no real rebalancing. And there is 0 shits given to improved AI.
    You can beat PoE 1 using the same tactics at every difficulty level, you just buff a bit more to handle the bloat.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    His "shitposts" are with his peers, with which he converses ideas, while treating them with respect. Your "articles" are screams into an echo chamber where you respect no one other than people blowing up your ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    only time lilura's blog ever came up for me was when I was searching for SoD-related content and absolutely nobody else covered it

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I actually see it as more of a running gag.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    Everyone else sees it as pure autism

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Crichton Prophet

Crichton
    I'll have to split the difference in this little sissy slap-fight; Dark Sun: Shattered lands has a better gameplay loop than Baldur's Gate and I have no idea why anyone would think blogs are relevant in CURRENT_YEAR, but AD&D is phase-based and much better represented by RTwP than TB. To understand why, take a look at Chapter 9 "Combat" in the 2nd Edition PHB https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ok.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEmRXebshoFd0rU19oI8hLr07tAZA (page 185).

Since actions are chosen in AD&D before initiative is rolled, you have to choose an action without knowing the order in which things will be resolved, creating the same bizarre situations that occur in RTwP; that's an advantage for some things (spell interrupts) but a definite disadvantage for others (using AoE non-instantaneous abilities while everyone is moving around). I don't know if anyone really enjoyed that aspect of AD&D, which is probably why they switched to TB for subsequent editions, but it was a change; SSI had to invent rules to cover situations that can't happen in the PHB when they made their TB versions.

quoting myself from the last time this came up (pay attention to how spell interrupts work in each game):

Show Spoiler
    RTwP reproduces in cRPGs everything that players hated about the D&D initiative system; something that ToEE (for good or for ill) does not do.

As an example, let's take a closer look at combat resolution for our favorite wizard and archer combo:

IE games: 1) Archer decides to shoot wizard, 2) Wizard starts casting spell (1 and 2 can be reversed if you like), 3) Wizard struck by arrow (spell fizzles into nothing), 4) Wizard's round is wasted

[exactly as described in the PHB]

Gold Box games: 1) Archer's turn comes up, he shoots the wizard, 2) Wizard's turn comes up, he cannot cast a spell because he was damaged earlier this turn, decides to read a scroll instead.

[This creates a mechanical situation not found at all in the pen and paper game, a character whose spell has been interrupted before it has been cast (!) and hence knows that he should take some other action. He is also free to do so, his round has not been wasted on a failed spell and he has not lost a memorized spell]

I should note that I prefer the combat resolution of the gold box games (and Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for that matter), but that's a completely separate issue from which better represents 2nd edition AD&D. So feel free to bash the IE games for having chaotic, unwieldy or senseless combat, but don't claim that they are less representative of the pen and paper rules.

helpful links for the uninitiated:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ve.htm&usg=AFQjCNFx1XCAiw4bVKnbfqOLhGyL5xrpaw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...iative&usg=AFQjCNEi04oZ29b3deZNsH9iNDqYCNOEoQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ition/&usg=AFQjCNEfpou8YhZE_z04rVs-klnzvciN8A

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ruchy Learned

Ruchy
    Not sure what "pure autism" would look like considering it's on a spectrum as you said.
    I haven't been at the codex long but I always imagine the experience is similar to sitting down to Christmas dinner at the orphanage for children with mental illnesses.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.