Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Magister
It kick off with meeting elminster after escaping candlekeep and searching for a contact with the harpers.
Ehh, sort of. Technically speaking, you meet an "Old Man" with a peculiar speech mannerism. If the player catches on to who that is, that's a different story.

Baldur's Gate 2 starts already on the epic note in the intro, by establishing you as a son of a literal god. God of Murder on top of that. And the Hero of Baldur's Gate. Then you fight for a control over a city (more or less), break out from the mage-prison for the strongest known mages, see/fight creatures from other planes (the Githyanki), go through the Underdark, fight dragons along the way...
It's a direct sequel, featuring the same protagonist, and that's precisely why I mentioned it as "even Baldur's Gate 2" - a campaign where you've been established as "a son of a literal god" and the "Hero of Baldur's Gate", and it still has a somewhat more subdued introduction. You start off as the prisoner of a strange, powerful mage, move on to sign up with an organized crime outfit, and the more outlandish stuff you mention comes as you progress through the game.

Most of those plots I mentioned, when looked on in their entirety, have a gradual escalation to their stakes and circumstances to match your mechanical growth with the narrative progression and keep things interesting. BG3, however, looks like it will introduce content of a more extraordinary nature right off the starting line. I've seen Schumacher make slower starts and I worry Larian might try and cram in too much "awesome" stuff all at once and make it the opposite of awesome.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
HotU and MotB aren't good because they are high level, the high levels actually detract from the experience.

How do you plan to make a history about a key figure send to solve a bloody war between drows in underdark where one of then control a archdevil, then the charname needs to escape the 8th circle of hell to stop a prince of hell, and can kill single handily a mindflayer colony, a beholder army, a demilich and a dracolich strange cult without making him epic strong?

The power of friendship? Nerfing the mephistopheles to the level of a kobold?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
HotU and MotB aren't good because they are high level, the high levels actually detract from the experience.

How do you plan to make a history about a key figure send to solve a bloody war between drows in underdark where one of then control a archdevil, then the charname needs to escape the 8th circle of hell to stop a prince of hell, and can kill single handily a mindflayer colony, a beholder army, a demilich and a dracolich strange cult without making him epic strong?
I don't plan on doing that and wouldn't do it. Sounds terrible.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I don't plan on doing that and wouldn't do it. Sounds terrible.

Now you realize that hotu can only work as a high level/epic level campaign?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I mean I wouldn't create a scenario like that. The whole thing is bonkers. Maybe don't create stories in which your character goes toe to toe with archdevils, beholder armies, or mindflayer legions. It sounds anime tbh and is against the spirit of D&D.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
goes toe to toe with archdevils, beholder armies, or mindflayer legions. It sounds anime tbh and is against the spirit of D&D.

It is not "anime". And even you realized that hotu is much better than base NWN1(which you can reach high level but not epic). If the spirit of D&D is to be only low level kobold slaying adventure games, they would't even bothered to write epic level rules. The game name is Dungeons & DRAGONS, not dungeons & low level kobolds. Last time i checked, low level parties has no chance against dragons.

And honestly, dragons should be far more powerful than they are on monster manual. A ancient silver dragon should have in addition to his massive hit points, saves and superhuman stats, he should have epic sorcerer levels and all spells with "cold" descriptor should be maximized and empowered(3.5e).

On Gothic 2, Dragons are cakewalk BUT the mod Returning made then really nasty creatures, only by being 300m- close to the frost/fire dragon liar, you take envorimental damage. They have health regen, summons and uses circle 6 magic(btw when you encounter one on chapter 4, you can only cast circle 4 magic).

EDIT : About anime, check this homebrew class anime swordsman. The top rated homebrew class in the site

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
I've been playing Spellforce III recently—these are the graphics BG3 should have.
Watching the gameplay footage from the other day, especially the character models and proportions, is
:prosper:
12ERKVT.png
lXihaYi.png
yaYoBF5.png
Q7a6BNo.png
KUGFpQK.png

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
And honestly, dragons should be far more powerful than they are on monster manual. A ancient silver dragon should have in addition to his massive hit points, saves and superhuman stats, he should have epic sorcerer levels and all spells with "cold" descriptor should be maximized and empowered(3.5e).
Dragons, in the hands of a competent DM, are terrifying in tabletop. A humble level-appropriate dragon can absolutely demolish an overconfident party simply by keeping to the air, strafing the party whenever its breath recharges, and using its spells and abilities intelligently. It is unfortunate that there's no way to translate this to a pc game, and dragons are barely mobile brutes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've been playing Spellforce III recently—these are the graphics BG3 should have.
Watching the gameplay footage from the other day, especially the character models and proportions, is
Not that I'm defending them, but it's not ready yet. It's far from ready.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:prosper:
12ERKVT.png
lXihaYi.png
yaYoBF5.png
Q7a6BNo.png
KUGFpQK.png
Oh yeah,SF3 is one of the best RPG made in the last decade. It is an amazing game. Expecting similar quality from a Dos2 clone is delusional.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Think about it for a moment... In Baldur's Gate, you start off as a snot-nosed whelp whose foster father gets ganked in the woods.
a whelp who is coincidentally, surprise surprise, a descendant of the
god of murder
right, nothing to look at here folks
That's not the point, I'm not saying the protagonist can't be a rare and special little flower (though I tend to prefer games where they're not). The issue is the circumstances of the introduction - BG doesn't kick off with a host of celestials duking it out with Abazigal over Candlekeep. All you've got at the start is that some creepy bloke in expensive armour wants to split your fucking skull for some reason. By Forgotten Realms standards, that's relatively mundane.
BG kicks off by two assassinations attempts in a row in the first hour of gameplay
saying that Larian’s bg3 isn’t packed with celestial interference as well. we still don’t know when the underdark part takes place story-wise.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Spellforce 3 was good but it wasn't even the best RPG of that year. Hell, it wasn't even the best game in that series.

And again the Ilithid invasion is not the main plot of the game the main antagonists are the dead three or rather a cult that worships them.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And BG3 doesn't start epic? Mindflayer spelljammer ship fighting dragon riders army is prety epic IMO.
If BG2 starts epic, then why BG3 starting epic (even more so than BG2, one could say) is suddenly a problem?

Din't said that is a problem. But you go from lv 1 to 10 on BG3, BG2 from 8 to 17~21(depending the class)

Oof Illithids are pretty high to use as a BBEG against a 4 man level 10 party. A single Elder Brain is a deadly challenge (a hard bossfight thats decently winnable with good builds) for 4 lvl 10s, and the colonies have those surrounded by dozens of mooks.
I hope they dont let us fully resolve the Illithid plot at level 10 but not resolving it in the same game would be kind of a dickmove aswell. They have written themselves into a corner by using Illithids and level 10 cap.
i can’t stop thinking that that mindflayer isn’t some average one, but kind of a rebel one or something (given all the dead illithids around), and that a tadpole has something to do with it.

Harthwain

Magister
Din't said that is a problem. But you go from lv 1 to 10 on BG3, BG2 from 8 to 17~21(depending the class)
How viable is level-to-level comparison, considering that BG2 is 3.5 and BG3 5.0? From what I understood, by reading other discussions (about encounters, for example), it sounded like 5.0 scaled everything down?

It's a direct sequel, featuring the same protagonist, and that's precisely why I mentioned it as "even Baldur's Gate 2" - a campaign where you've been established as "a son of a literal god" and the "Hero of Baldur's Gate", and it still has a somewhat more subdued introduction. [...] BG3, however, looks like it will introduce content of a more extraordinary nature right off the starting line. I've seen Schumacher make slower starts and I worry Larian might try and cram in too much "awesome" stuff all at once and make it the opposite of awesome.
Well, BG3 is an indirect sequel to BG2, so it makes sense for it to start with an earthquake, followed by rising tension. It's also - if I am not mistaken - the first attempt to establish a video game based on DnD 5.0, so I am not surprised at all that both Larian and WotC want to fill it with enough cool stuff to catch the attention of wider gaming audience. Also, the manner the game starts allows to put together races that you'd otherwise be very hard pressed to find under the usual circumstances (Drow, Githyanki).

I wouldn't be surprised if they have very rough plans for expansions/DLCs to resolve all plot points that start in BG3. Either that or BG3 is going to be a very big game (if you do not beeline for the main quest).

guestposting

Educated
They keep saying you have a week to get the tadpole out of your head. Does that mean you’ll be on a timer? That would be perfect.

Terrible business decision, but then I thought BG3 would be an ARPG for commercial reasons. This has been one pleasant surprise after another. Even if they have no plans for a timer, maybe we can badger them into implementing one.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How viable is level-to-level comparison, considering that BG2 is 3.5 and BG3 5.0? From what I understood, by reading other discussions (about encounters, for example), it sounded like 5.0 scaled everything down?

BG2 is 2e, not 3.5e. The unique IE game which is 3.0(not 3.5) is icewind dale 2.

And yes, one of the good things about 5e is that they toned down the numbers BUT they should also toned down player HP. At least IMO, i love games with high lethality for both sides.

Dragons, in the hands of a competent DM, are terrifying in tabletop.

Yep. But a ancient silver dragon still has less spell casting capabilities living from centuries compared to a offspring of him which has like 1/124 draconian blood. On 5e and 3.5e. A ancient silver dragon should't have few spells like 3.5e, he should know ancient spells long forgotten from the humanity and be really nasty enemies that only a party of high level with a LOT of preparation and planing can have a chance of defeating.

His superhuman intelligence stat(24 on pathfinder) and genius intelligence on 5e(18) is not translated effectively in abilities. If a intelligent human can become a archmagician with decades of hard working, a dragon with dozens of more time and superhuman abilities should be able to do far better.

On NWN1, i as a lv 14 sorcerer could solo 2 dragons.

And really wish that will be no dragon fights on BG3. And if there is, your should try to flee and avoid fight at any cost and maybe kill a heavily damaged juvenile dragon but that is it.

5e already made this epic creatures fell far more weak than they are. IMO Larian should not put any dragon fight in their games. But again, is just my opinion. for me legendary creatures should fell legendary. In lore and mechanics.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
talked like a scrub that doesn't kill gods at level 6

JRPG profile picture
thinking.png

A bit. The aforementioned Elder Brain, that is the meanest beater in an illithid colony if they dont have any mind flayer liches, is CR 14 (a normal encounter for a level 14 party) in 5e and a CR 25 encounter in 3e. I dont think 2e has CR?
Still 10 is low for Illithids. Three normal Illithids alone are a deadly fight for 4 level 10s. If underground nymph is right and we are dealing with Elite Illithid conspiracies level 10 is way too low.

They keep saying you have a week to get the tadpole out of your head. Does that mean you’ll be on a timer? That would be perfect.

Terrible business decision, but then I thought BG3 would be an ARPG for commercial reasons. This has been one pleasant surprise after another. Even if they have no plans for a timer, maybe we can badger them into implementing one.

I assume it will be a faux timer that does not end in a game over, but if you pass the week without dealing without it you are forced into the contract with the devil. But we have to wait and see on that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It might be structured like Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. In that adventure, the McGuffin you want is always in motion and you have like 4 or 5 different points in the adventure you can get it. It's possible to not get it at all and you get a different ending. In BG3, you might get a bunch of different ways to remove the tadpole, and indeed be forced into the deal if you fail the other methods.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, I thought about my BG2 experience... And I never figured out how to prevent Illithids from brainsucking Minsc to death. Is there even a defense against that attack in BG2 other than summoning hordes of skeletons/cloud spells?
Pots of int and focus. And there are a few spells that give rezistance or immunity to psionics, so he won't get stunned. Otherwise, no - not really.

Harthwain

Magister
BG2 is 2e, not 3.5e. The unique IE game which is 3.0(not 3.5) is icewind dale 2.
I stand corrected.

Still 10 is low for Illithids. Three normal Illithids alone are a deadly fight for 4 level 10s. If underground nymph is right and we are dealing with Elite Illithid conspiracies level 10 is way too low.
That's why I am thinking we might not see the Illithids in BG3, save for the initial encounter. Or at least we'll not fight them. Illithids could be not invading - they could be on the run, and the answer to that will probably be in the Underdark, which they had fled. And demons could be involved in all of this. Perhaps demons are invading the Underdark?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Do we even have it confirmed that BG3 has time passage implemented?

Chunkyman

Augur
The timer idea seems unlikely to be implemented. Swen mentioned that the game is going to have a lot of exploration and poking around places looking for stuff, which would be difficult to do if you have a clock always ticking down and you're just trying to steamroll through to wherever you get the tadpole removed.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The timer idea seems unlikely to be implemented. Swen mentioned that the game is going to have a lot of exploration and poking around places looking for stuff, which would be difficult to do if you have a clock always ticking down and you're just trying to steamroll through to wherever you get the tadpole removed.

While BG2 didnt have timers for most quests, the main quest had parts where they specifically wanted you to leisure around and explore and parts where they wanted you to rush the objective.

As an example the part where you are gathering cash to hire the thieves guild to track down Imoen or searching allies to defeat Irenicus Vampire bint are made to get you to explore the world and get entangled in sidequests, while stuff like the asylum is meant to be rushed

They could to the same in BG 3

Lacrymas

Arcane
Exploration and timers aren't contradictory. You might not get to explore everything in every playthrough, but that's a plus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom