Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Curratum

Swen is such a great guy. I hate him, but he is cool.

I feel exactly the same way. I hate the games he and his studio make, but I love his personality, at least what I've seen of him in videos and interviews.

Prime Junta

BG3 is looking really good! I admit I wasn't all that hyped for it because of DOS2, but the gameplay video they showed earlier was super promising, combat looks rich and fun and verticality is clearly more than just a cute scripted gimmick.

Also, I dug the d20 rolls on skill checks. Now where have I seen that sort of thing before ... ? :M

Vatnik Wumao
BG3 is looking really good! I admit I wasn't all that hyped for it because of DOS2, but the gameplay video they showed earlier was super promising, combat looks rich and fun and verticality is clearly more than just a cute scripted gimmick.

Also, I dug the d20 rolls on skill checks. Now where have I seen that sort of thing before ... ? :M
Story is probably going to be abysmal though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

First thing I see after your return and it's an endorsement of BG3. Well deserved communist #1.

Prime Junta

Most likely, but who cares? It's a DnD romp in the Forgotten Realms, all it needs is a McGuffin to chase. The rest is in pictoresque locations, cool maps, well-crafted encounters, and character build variety. It's not like any IE game other than PS:T had much going in the story department either.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't expect much in the way of build variety. 5E is pretty rudimentary in this aspect. We will have feats and mutil-classing, though, so it won't be suuuper barebones.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wouldn't expect much in the way of build variety. 5E is pretty rudimentary in this aspect. We will have feats and mutil-classing, though, so it won't be suuuper barebones.

5e has more build variety natively than 2e. Due to heavy racial restrictions and dual/multiclassing rules a lot of heroes get only a single choice on level up (in 2e), to take another level in their main class.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Yes, but MINIATURE GIANT SPACE HAMSTER. That's all there is to the BG series, and nothing else.
Why do people have to lose their shit whenever the whacky and zany stuff in BG is brought up ?
Nobody said it's all about this kind of shit, but there's a lot of whacky crazy stuff in the game. What about we accept it and move on ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Most likely, but who cares? It's a DnD romp in the Forgotten Realms, all it needs is a McGuffin to chase. The rest is in pictoresque locations, cool maps, well-crafted encounters, and character build variety. It's not like any IE game other than PS:T had much going in the story department either.

I'm not so sure about the story tbh. The writing certainly seems like a mix between hopw roewur ne and mediocrity, but the themes and plotlines seem better than BG1+2 on paper tbh. D&D is (often, not always) best when it is high concept, cheesey, pulpy, creatively weird and digs deep into the geeky monsters, planar antagonists etc., and that intro video with the Mind Flayer controlling a nautilus-ship with a tentacle-harp was pure goodness on that front. As long as much of the game past the intro toys around with that kindda shit rooted in the game's best aesthetics concepts, I will probably be more entertained by the story than I expected giving the somewhat... basic bitch-writing we've seen so far.

I'm expecting some fairly shitty writing but I also hope for some wonderfully planescapey (the setting, not the game) D&D lore romping.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Yes, but MINIATURE GIANT SPACE HAMSTER. That's all there is to the BG series, and nothing else.
Don't fortget about other zany hijinks:
-Gender-bending belt
-Edwin turning into a woman
-Jan Jansen <-hilarious gnomish companion, almost as funny as Minsc
-Lilarcor - this sword just can't shut-up
-Larry, Darryl, and Darryl - they'll even give you an autograph
-"Be aware, Mazzy, I've something long, hard, and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle. Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I was referring to..." <-I laugh every time

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Eh, we'll see when we'll see. It could always surprise positively. In any case I'm looking forward to it big time and not for the story, if it's good then so much the better.

FWIW I don't even remember what the story in DOS1 was all about, but I still remember having fun playing it. If BG3 manages the same I'm happy, and from what Swen has shown it looks quite likely it will.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Eh, we'll see when we'll see. It could always surprise positively. In any case I'm looking forward to it big time and not for the story, if it's good then so much the better.

FWIW I don't even remember what the story in DOS1 was all about, but I still remember having fun playing it. If BG3 manages the same I'm happy, and from what Swen has shown it looks quite likely it will.

both dos1 and dos2 have fantasy stories of the worst kind: zaney, cringe-worthy zoomer-stuff with sporadic bouts of THIS IS VERY SERIOUS PEOPLE dripped in. The first one has you talking to squirrels about nut politics one moment and then EVIL SPACE GOO OF RAPE COLLECTED WITH SLAVERY the next. Pure, horrifying lack of atmospheric cohesion, framed writing or anything else but "what does the writer arbitrarily feel like writing in this moment."

Fortunately, it was easily ignorable. The worsened gameplay of 2 was less so, but the story was also much worse because it played a much bigger role and they doubled down on the "stylistic choices" borrowed from shitty animu.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Wtf does the codex here even know about good writing or story?

Autists here will bash it regardless.

Avarize

Magister
established setting
What exactly do you think the established setting will bring to the table ?
Tabletop roots might improve their character build and combat design. Forgotten Realms is much more interesting of a setting than Larianland and the established lore might guide their storytelling to a better direction. Of course we have a mountain of official material in FR that's utter shit but it's always easier to write fanfiction than original.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You said it yourself, FR include a lot of stuff, good but also slightly less so.
If Larian really sucks at writing, the established setting won't help, I believe.

I actually think BG3 will be better delivered for several reasons : tone, style etc. But I doubt most of the improvement will actually come from the setting.
I've read the BG campaign for D&D5, which as far as I can tell is the closest you can get to what he established setting feels like for BG3, and I don't see anything particularly solid.

Avarize

Magister
I know nothing about D&D after 3.5 and I haven't read any of the official novels after 2005 or so, but I assume that era, or earlier, is the one they are seeking inspiration from given that it's supposed to be a sequel to a 2nd edition game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Basically there's some evil thing that wants to destroy everything, but the most important thing about the plot is that a sorceress transformed her cat into a human because she wanted to have fuck with him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom