Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cnaiur

Augur
About crafting it's the same Swen is convinced everyone likes collecting junk and experiment with the crafting system though of course even he got bored of it rather quickly and crafting becomes useless extremely fast in the game. I'm kinda shocked at there seemingly is no crafting system in BG3 since he was so insistent that garbage collecting was such an important and popular thing in the DOS games.

Is this confirmed? No crafting in a RPG in the year of our lord 2020 would be something to behold. I have yet to play a game where crafting offers a more satisfying outcome than unique - hand placed - items. But still, every fucking game seemingly forces in crafting because it automatically adds another 10% game time to their marketing scorecard.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really liked the way it was in Pillars 2. Not craft per say, but upgrade your weapons in different ways. Good way to dump money too.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really liked the way it was in Pillars 2. Not craft per say, but upgrade your weapons in different ways. Good way to dump money too.

The system was brilliant. So was the execution as far as the actual paths themselves. However the scarcity of crafting resources for the high end upgrades meant you couldn't really play around with different stuff, you just had to decide on one weapon and stick to that.

Harthwain

Magister
The system was brilliant. So was the execution as far as the actual paths themselves. However the scarcity of crafting resources for the high end upgrades meant you couldn't really play around with different stuff, you just had to decide on one weapon and stick to that.
I am of the opinion that too much scarcity is bad for gameplay. For example: having items cost too much in shops is the main reason preventing me from buying them (and as such, experiencing them) in most games. With less prohibitive prices I am much more willing to experiment with equipment. The same goes for upgrades - the more options you have, the more variety there is, which is more fun over sticking to a single thing. It doesn't mean you should be able to get EVERYTHING in a single go, but having more choices to go with should be the ideal starting point.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am of the opinion that too much scarcity is bad for gameplay. For example: having items cost too much in shops is the main reason preventing me from buying them (and as such, experiencing them) in most games. With less prohibitive prices I am much more willing to experiment with equipment. The same goes for upgrades - the more options you have, the more variety there is, which is more fun over sticking to a single thing. It doesn't mean you should be able to get EVERYTHING in a single go, but having more choices to go with should be the ideal starting point.

That was my point. The scarcity of the highest upgrade resources effectively meant the potentially incredibly diverse system was severely hampered, forcing you to stick to one tool.

Gargaune

Magister
It really is true. The Codex is very welcoming to people with non-conforming opinions. Most other forums are very hostile to those who criticize whatever that forum's dedicated to. To the point of getting you banned if you don't respond extremely kindly to the inevitable dogpile. In the Codex everyone is completely free to voice his opinion. And, more importantly, you're free to call a retard a retard. Only the thin-skinned take issue with this freedom.
I meant it. I'll gladly take full-frontal insults over preening passive-aggression and sanctimonious appeals to moderation, it's a simpler life.

About armour: Swen dumb strawman argument for it was always "people don't understand percentage-based spell system" , therefore, everything has to be in numbers" Of course no one has ever heard of this complaint ever before. So it cracks me up a lot that the game they make next purely completely built around percentage chances.
Isn't this lifting a page from Sawyer? He gave a GDC talk explicitly addressing that people didn't take well to percentage buffs on weapons in PoE and instead expected the traditional +X bonus, and then he went and carried on with the same percentage thing in Deadfire.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's a new thing: http://forums.larian.com//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=676554

Hey everyone!

Today, we’re rolling out Larian Accounts, which are opt-in accounts that will grant you access to Larian services across the many platforms we release our games on.

It’s early days, but signing up now helps us stress-test the service as we roll out more features. It’s entirely optional (you don’t need an account to play Baldur’s Gate 3), but in the future it’ll be the account that links your adventures together.

For example, your account will be how we facilitate cross-saves for Baldur’s Gate 3 across Steam, Stadia, and GOG, as well as potential future platforms if and when released.

This is also where you’ll get access to the Twitch extension so your audience can vote on different decisions your character will make throughout the game.

Cross-play multiplayer between future platforms will also be happening through the Larian account, though this feature is not available Day 1 of Baldur’s Gate 3’s Early Access.

We understand that you may have multiple accounts across our channels at the moment. The Larian Account is not currently connected to our merch account. This service is very much in the same spirit as Early Access, and we have a roadmap of features to add over time.

Signing up early helps us make the service better, and while we’re excited to offer you cross-saves now, the future of your Larian Account is all the brighter for having you on board from day 1!

Join our party by signing up for a Larian Account at the following link: Larian Account

oFsQDc4.png

https://larian.com/account/faq

FAQ
Larian account Frequently Asked Questions. The following FAQ should answer the most common questions about your account and its services. If these do not solve an issue you are having, please contact us via our support site.

Which services will be available with my Larian Account?
At Early Access launch, the only feature available will be Cross Save on Stadia, GoG and Steam. During Early Access, we plan to add Cross Play across those same platforms.

If you connect your account to Twitch, it will enable our Baldur’s Gate 3 extension on your channel and link it to the game. This way, your audience can interact with you directly on the choices you make in the game!

We will be expanding our services with more features as we get closer to full release of the game.

How do I enable the Larian Services in Baldur’s Gate 3?
At Early Access launch, only Cross Save will be active. You will see this when starting up the game the first time. A message box will be presented asking you to enable Cross Save.

If you want to disable or enable it, you can do this in the Game Options Menu.
If you want to load saves on a different platform, currently your last five saves will be synced automatically. You can see this in the Save or Load game menus.

To make sure your services are active on the platform of your choosing, connect your platform accounts to your Larian Account in the Connected Accounts section of this website.

Once your accounts are linked, you will be automatically logged in to the Larian Services when starting the game from your preferred platform.

My Larian Account services are not working in-game. What should I do?
The following needs to happen for you to be logged into the services:
- Your platform account needs to be linked to your current Larian Account.

- You need to launch the game from the linked platform Account (Steam, GoG or Stadia currently)

If you are launching the game manually without any platform client running, the services will not activate.
If you are still having issues after confirming the above is set up correctly, please contact our support.

Last edited:

Gyor

Savant
Does anyone every saunter over to Larian's forums? There are a few BG fans in attendance but mostly it's a lot of people hoping that it becomes DOS3. Given that Larian has said that they pay attention to what fans want in their forums that's pretty damn discouraging.
Based on my experience with DOS2 and its Kickstarter I can safely say most of the feedback/comments on their official forums will fall on deaf ears.
It's quite funny since Swen Vincke frequently mentioned player feedback when he did a DOS2 Retrospective speech at some video game convention. Almost every time he referred to some aspect of the game that he admitted could've been handled better (armour system, companions, crafting et cetera) it was usually one of the things there were endless threads about during the game's kickstarter period.

I think when they say they use player feedback a lot they're mostly talking about hidden data collected behind the scenes such as encounter TPK rates, amount of players who find/interact with a certain NPC, locate a certain treasure or something else.

What Larian is interested is primarily User experience and UI stuff + content that people want. But Larian made already bigger changes to BG3 than to DOS 2 during all of the early access since they changed every single line of player dialogue from past to present (everyone hated it already in DOS2 already btw) + changed from first-person narration to narrative + Change from team-based initiative to character-based initiative. So who knows what they really want this time.

The things you mention from were part of Larian/Swen's core design and would have never be changed:
The companions in DOS 2 were never intended to be a big aspect since Swen is convinced that everyone plays this game in Coop. Therefore if you have a problem with the singleplayer Swen will probably ignore you just get used to that. Probably the biggest change from DOS 2 to BG3 narrative-wise is that companions actually matter and can be interacted it's almost like Swen found out that not everyone wants or can play this game in Coop or something.

About crafting it's the same Swen is convinced everyone likes collecting junk and experiment with the crafting system though of course even he got bored of it rather quickly and crafting becomes useless extremely fast in the game. I'm kinda shocked at there seemingly is no crafting system in BG3 since he was so insistent that garbage collecting was such an important and popular thing in the DOS games.

About armour: Swen dumb strawman argument for it was always "people don't understand percentage-based spell system" , therefore, everything has to be in numbers" Of course no one has ever heard of this complaint ever before. So it cracks me up a lot that the game they make next purely completely built around percentage chances. :)

BG3 is a game unlike any other he made, which makes it so fascinating to me who has been playing his stuff since Divine Divinity. So much of D&D 5e goes against Swen's gameplay design like his love for randomly generated items.

It should be obvious to anyone but .... No Larian is not going to change core aspects of the game no matter how many people complain about it.
He is not going to remove Coop or feature that require coop, he will not increase party size and certainly no RTWP combat or whatever. Larian isn't interested in your vision for the game they are interested in adding stuff to improve their vision of the game.

Also, it's really funny that some people act like Larian is making a playable movie because of the last two updates when we already have more than to 2h of combat and exploration footage. Some have been complaining about the lack of dialogue in the gameplay streams which is why they made two videos about it. The next one is probably going to be more popular here since it will be about character creation.

I'm not so sure about party size, I mean we know Lone Wolf mode will be in and that its being designed so its will be easily modible for 6 member parties, so how much more effect would it take to create a 6 member party mode, maybe call it expanded party mode.

Gyor

Savant
It really is true. The Codex is very welcoming to people with non-conforming opinions. Most other forums are very hostile to those who criticize whatever that forum's dedicated to. To the point of getting you banned if you don't respond extremely kindly to the inevitable dogpile. In the Codex everyone is completely free to voice his opinion. And, more importantly, you're free to call a retard a retard. Only the thin-skinned take issue with this freedom.
I meant it. I'll gladly take full-frontal insults over preening passive-aggression and sanctimonious appeals to moderation, it's a simpler life.

About armour: Swen dumb strawman argument for it was always "people don't understand percentage-based spell system" , therefore, everything has to be in numbers" Of course no one has ever heard of this complaint ever before. So it cracks me up a lot that the game they make next purely completely built around percentage chances.
Isn't this lifting a page from Sawyer? He gave a GDC talk explicitly addressing that people didn't take well to percentage buffs on weapons in PoE and instead expected the traditional +X bonus, and then he went and carried on with the same percentage thing in Deadfire.

Lot less fake SJWs who try and censor anyone calling them on their shit.

Vatnik Wumao
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1086940/view/2868188053546850136

Community Update #8 - Character Creation

What defines you? Is it who you are, or the journey you’re on? In Baldur’s Gate 3, it’s both. Creating a character in Baldur’s Gate 3 isn’t the moment the world decides how to treat you, but it’s the very beginning of the shaping of your story. BG3 is a world with great player agency, and the most important character in that world is you. We’ve created not only a character customization system that allows that player agency to shine, but also a world that constantly reacts to how your character develops.

In BG3 you can start your journey by choosing your race, subrace, background and class. In certain cases you also get to choose a subclass, as perhaps a deity. These choices will ripple out across the story, affecting how you roleplay throughout the game.

giphy.gif

You’ll assign points to your 6 abilities (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma). Then you’ll decide which of the various skills in the game you're proficient with (eg. Acrobatics, Deception, Stealth). Last but not least, you customise your appearance and how your character presents to the world.

Will you be a beast taming mage-breaking charlatan halfling ranger with a toxic frog as a familiar, or a noble githyanki eldritch knight who let herself be seduced by the Absolute, with the ability to psionically drag her enemies towards her. Or, will you go for a more traditional tiefling warlock who made a pact with the devil? The choices are endless!

PROCESS

giphy.gif

Our character creation features photorealistic fantasy races, based on 3D scans of actors and models (blemishes and all), selected because their features roughly resembled the direction for each race in the game, as well of course for diversity and variety in the human-like races. Our team spent much of pre-production carefully selecting, scanning, and moulding these scans, to become the base heads for character creation. Launched into Early Access is a total of 150 heads to pick from, across the 16 races & subcraces.

01e43d4629e7a4bdd7ff74d5c869707fc520efe0.png

Alena Dubrovina, our Lead Character Artist wanted to shine a light on this. “When cinematic dialogues were introduced for BG3, we realized we needed to make a huge quality leap in our character art. We wanted to make characters look their best and put the bar very high. We had to be very innovative to make such a large range of heads and hit the quality level we wanted.”

giphy.gif

“We decided to use scanned faces in our production to create characters that were as realistic as possible. We scanned 40 people of different ages and ethnicity. While scouting for models we focused on features that would fit our fantasy races and we looked for faces that either had something unique about them or were very versatile to fit different characters.

2c92569b52a3c018f92c42dea009128cc7a0727d.png

Eventually, we transformed the scanned heads into approximately 150 unique heads of various races that you can see in-game now, and that number will keep growing. Some of the scanned heads kept their features, but others became a starting point for creating new faces. We also used scanned data as a learning resource because there is no better sculptor than nature.”

73a84a2268fb0e330cf87fd5e3e626daffeec32b.png

RACES

In Early Access, you’ll choose from 8 races, each with their own selection of subraces. More will be added later, but for now they are as follows:

Human
The most common face to see in Faerûn, humans are known for their tenacity, creativity, and endless capacity for growth. They live fully in the present - making them well suited to the adventuring life - but also plan for the future, striving to leave a lasting legacy.

Githyanki

5b81069d8075c5ba9898efa483f2a838a6414f79.png

Githyanki are peerless warriors from the Astral Plane, known for their legendary silver blades and red dragon mounts. They seek the total destruction of mind flayers, whose ancient empire enslaved the githyanki for millennia.

Elf

High Elf
Heirs of the mystical Feywild, high elves value magic in all its forms, and even those who do not study spellcraft can manipulate the Weave.

Wood Elf
Wood elves spend their reclusive lives in Faerûn’s forests. Decades of training in archery and camouflage are enhanced by an otherworldly swiftness.

bf5954300ce4ffd7b9d8b54c7cdfadbdac43e473.png

Drow

Seldarine Drow
Drow are the result of an ancient schism between the elven deities Corellon Larethian and Lolth. The latters’ treachery drove the drow into the Underdark, where they splintered into warring factions. Seldarine drow can be found seeking allies from all over Faerûn, aiming to settle their conflict with Lolth - and each other - by any means necessary.

Lolth-Sworn Drow
Raised by Lolth’s cult in the city of Menzoberranzan, these drow extol the virtues of their corrupt and merciless goddess. Lolth marks her followers with bright red eyes so the Underdark will learn to fear drow on sight.

2e92085d3ada4cdc6621b1749aa11113527d838e.png

Half-Elf

High Half-Elf
A touch of the Feywild remains in half-elves with this bloodline, and even those untrained in magic possess a hint of wild power.

6e9714a4511945c4485f9fda42c80d039a9488d9.png

Wood Half-Elf
Like their wood elf parent, these half-elves have a quickened stride and eye for stealth. Yet many break away from isolation in Faerûn’s forests to explore the rest of the Realms.

Drow Half-Elf
Most half-drow result from liaisons between Seldarine drow and surfacers. While half-drow inherit a few magical gifts, they aren’t usually raised in the Underdark.

Dwarf

Gold
Gold dwarves are known for their confidence and keen intuition. The culture of their Deep Kingdom values family, ritual, and fine craftsmanship.

Shield
Shield dwarves survived a long fall from grace, surrendering many of their ancient kingdoms in wars with goblins and orcs. These losses have lead to a cynical mindset, yet shield dwarves will endure anything to restore their ancestral homelands.

Hafling

Lightfoot Halfling
Lightfoot halflings are stealthy but social, travelling all over Faeûn to make names for themselves.

Strongheart Halfling
Legends say dwarven blood gave stronghearts their hardiness. Resistant to poison and wellsprings of endurance, these halflings easily hold their own.

Tiefling

Asmodeus Tiefling
Bound to Nessus, the deepest layer of the Hells, these tieflings inherit the ability to wield fire and darkness from the archdevil Asmodeus’ infernal bloodline.

44adc8800d1ec78eb2d222d815ac326168267dc5.png

Mephistopheles Tiefling
Descended from the archdevil Mephistopheles, these tieflings are gifted with a particular affinity for arcane magic.

Zariel Tiefling
Tieflings from Zariel’s bloodline are empowered with martial strength, and can channel searing flame to punish their enemies.

Baldur’s Gate is a vast cultural hub on the Sword Coast, attracting adventurers of extremely varied races and cultures, all of whom are looking to make a name for themselves in the city. In BG3, the NPCs of this world will react to who and what you are - giving you unique opportunities for roleplay based on your selected options in character creation.

For example, prior to the events in BG3, the city of Elturel has just descended into the Nine Hells. So many innocent people, cast without warning into the fire, never to return. The common folk speak of this hideous event with bitterness, with grievance, and with ill-tempered suspicion. So you can imagine that as a Tiefling (a being with an infernal bloodline and fiendish devil-like features) thanks to these world events you may find yourself the subject of mistrust and fear - at least more than the normal amount of suspicion your bloodline instills.

6218cc9b2865ca23bd7724c5325959108f3a97eb.png

Races more alien to the Sword coast - like the Drow and Githyanki - are so rare to the average NPC that you’ll find their interactions to be unique as well. Of the nearly 600 NPC’s you’ll meet in Act 1 alone, each one draws from their own experiences. Oft defining how they approach a discussion, or situation.

Each of these races represent a staggering amount of narrative and mechanical complexity. In one playthrough as a human, you might be treated with respect and honor. In the next, as a Githyanki, you might have to struggle for those same courtesies with the sharpness of your tongue, or the ferocity of your fists. What race you pick will be foundation for your appearance, but will also give you a bunch of cool racial features including stat increases, skill proficiencies and potential other bonuses.

CLASS

In EA you’ll have 6 Classes to choose from - Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock and Wizard - each with at least two subclasses to choose from. If you’re unfamiliar with D&D, some classes unlock their subclass early at Level 1 - like the Cleric - while others gain their subclass choice by Level 3.

If you choose a class with access to magic, you’ll be able to select from a number of Cantrips - simple arcane skills you can use to dazzle and destroy your opponents again and again - and Spells - more powerful abilities that you’ll have limited uses of between rests.

Just like your background and race, your class will also give you options in the world with roleplay. NPC’s might recognise the skillset you live your life by, and in turn you’ll gain options in dialogue and unique opportunities your other companions will not have.

Classes evolve as you level up and each class presents plenty of opportunities for customisation. Once you hit level 4 for instance, you’ll get to select from a wide range of feats. Feats represent talents or an area of expertise that give characters special capabilities. They embody training, experience, and abilities beyond what your base class provides.

APPEARANCE

Within the Appearance tab, you’ll customise the finer details of your character. You can choose from different voice options, alter facial features, hairstyles, colours, and beards. Hair and Eye colour will have multiple “canon” options, but these options can also be ignored and you can just pick whatever you want from all colours available. Finally you can add the finishing touches with a variety of Tattoo and Makeup options. You’ll notice that many subraces have different appearances to each other, which add another layer of variety to the roleplay in your party.

EARLY ACCESS AND BEYOND

Oh boy, do we have SURPRISES for you when you finally start the game. But we’re not going to spoil those. We’ll be expanding Early Access content throughout the campaign and have quite a few extra things up our sleeves, but since this update is about Early Access, we’ll cover those later.

That’s enough about Character Creation for now. We really want you to discover it. We know many of you are very curious about future races that may be added but with 16 races + subraces to pick from we feel like there’s enough content to get you started.

Our early access date is approaching rapidly so you’ll be able to check all of this out yourself very soon!

Q & A

Will Stadia have m&k support and will PC have controller support?
Stadia features a ‘beta’ version of Controller Support, but we suggest playing with a mouse & keyboard if you can for now, while we fine tune the controller for the future. Controller support
will also be coming to PC.

Will the respec option be a one time thing or will it follow us through the game? Can we respec classes and races?
We’re still trying out different ways of introducing respec so you’ll need to have a bit of patience before we’ll answer that question.

Will it be possible to play without romance whatsoever (like companions trying to romance you or each other)?
Who you romance is up to you. It’s completely your choice. You don’t even need to be friends with anyone, and you can reject any advances from characters in the game.

Will the Origin characters have fixed class, or we'll be able to choose one like in DOS2?
Same answer as for the respeccing. We want to make some form of respec available but are still working out what the best way will be.

Will crafting be in the game? If so, to what extent? Will my bag get full of crafting supplies or can I drop them off at camp?
There will be some form of crafting but it will be limited.

When we equip new armor, boots, amulets, rings, capes, do they show on our characters?
Yes as you equip items they will show on characters and appear in game and during dialogues. Rings and Amulets do not appear.

Can I pet the dog (and owlbear)?
Yes you can pet the dog! We highly advise AGAINST petting the owlbear though. As for the owlbear cub? We’ll leave that one a mystery for you to find out...

Will we be able to create a character in Baldur's Gate 3?
Yeah, like this.

823e59c73eaa31cc6391cf56b758af29759d3bba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut
In BG3 you can start your journey by choosing your race, subrace, background and class. In certain cases you also get to choose a subclass, as perhaps a deity. These choices will ripple out across the story, affecting how you roleplay throughout the game.
Each of these races represent a staggering amount of narrative and mechanical complexity. In one playthrough as a human, you might be treated with respect and honor. In the next, as a Githyanki, you might have to struggle for those same courtesies with the sharpness of your tongue, or the ferocity of your fists. What race you pick will be foundation for your appearance, but will also give you a bunch of cool racial features including stat increases, skill proficiencies and potential other bonuses.
Just like your background and race, your class will also give you options in the world with roleplay. NPC’s might recognise the skillset you live your life by, and in turn you’ll gain options in dialogue and unique opportunities your other companions will not have.
s420.gif

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Early Access is :decline: It is a shame they are bringing back tactical RPGs but didn't try to bring back decent business practices in gaming too.

Codex Year of the Donut
Early Access is :decline: It is a shame they are bringing back tactical RPGs but didn't try to bring back decent business practices in gaming too.
If you don't like early access you can just not play it until it releases?
Yes but it is part of a huge systemic problem.
How is marking your game as early access a problem compared to flat out just releasing an unfinished product like every other developer does?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom