Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
They should bring back the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity so that our giant harem can be entirely heterosexual

In my TTRPG Myths, I had it do the opposite sex unless the person wants to change sex. In that case, the girdle doesn't work. It is a cursed object after all.

Reinhardt

Arcane
All I have to say to the Monk haters is this: all you have to do to make it better is just have one in your party. :smug:
akshully i'm tempted to make full party of monks and kick people from rooftops while singing "hare krishna"

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron

By Jade King, huh? let me google her:

jade-king-545-3225640843.jpeg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does it kill the notification tho? I installed it yesterday and still get the warning.
Are you sure you've got the right version: 536.99

I'd appreciate opinions on this opinion of a good friend, a real old-school gamer guy.

I’m also enjoying BG3, though I could do with less cutscenes with everyone holding their hands to their temple while squinting. I went with Gale, and am currently having Astarion, Shadowheart and Karlach alongside. I’ve been finding that I absolutely need a rogue, despite the fact that he’s hard to keep happy. I’m thinking of switching out the cleric for either Wyll or Lae’zel, though. The thing is when I need the cleric, I really need her; otherwise her place in the combat queue is largely a waste of time. I did find out, however, that her illusion divine ability that gives folks advantage within 3 meters is a huge difference maker in combat.

I made it a point never to play past the druid grove in early access, so, thankfully, all of this is new to me. They also changed a lot of the early stages, which was a nice surprise. I’m still a bit confused as to whether I should be fighting the goblins, trying to command them, or just avoid them, which bugs me. Like at the deep gnome watermill thing, avoiding the fight is pretty easy, but the old DnD player in me is very uncomfortable with leaving a goblin force at my back. But, on the other hand, if I go 100% goblin-death, am I going to walk into a situation later one where there are 250 of them at the keep, all hostile? It’s realistic—how would you know if you were really there?—but at the same time a bit frustrating.

I think a better CRPG design decision would be to make the early stage of the game revolve around 3-5 related quests and not, as here, 20. Like with Cyberpunk, I’m finding it a bit overwhelming. Maybe this is just me, though. I try not to meta-game and play as if I was in the shoes of my PC, but with BG3 this is especially difficult.

I also think that Gale’s arcane hunger mechanic is broken. He never seems to actually suffer the condition, even though the journal has been updated to reflect it’s time to eat another magic item. Are you familiar with the similar hunger mechanic is Mask of the Betrayer? There, I felt under pressure, the clock was ticking, it was anxiety-making. Here, it’s just, I don’t know, a gimmick that is negligible, especially considering the large number of very minorly enchanted items set along your path.
He is wrong on Shadowheart's utility, cleric is a killer class in general. Spiritual Weapon is great, her damage-dealing spells are great, her Bless is great, and she can reach at least 18 AC by lvl 4 (unbuffed). He ought to know that if he's been playing the EA especially.

He can kill the goblins outside the goblin camp and still infiltrate the camp peacefully.

Regarding the abundance of quests in the early game - I think they are mostly different routes towards the same goal, and the player has to choose who to turn to for help. The thing is that in a videogame, they have to be denoted as quests in a journal where in a PnP game they would just be options the DM would give to the party, the party would consider picking one and the others would not be on the table until that one they chose would be resolved.

Great job on trying to roleplay. IMO this is how the game is meant to be played. My rule is if I wouldn't do something in PnP I don't do it in the game. I sometimes reload when I've goofed something in the interface, but that's mostly it.

Can't comment on Gale's mechanic because I'm playing a custom PC.

Your friend should make an account here.

They should bring back the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity so that our giant harem can be entirely heterosexual
People who played early access get Fane's mask from DOS2 in their camp, you can use it to disguise yourself to any race-body type.
So, the equivalent of the disguise spell? That one left me disappointed, I wanted to disguise myself as a goblin, but only the playable races are allowed.

By the way I cast Speak With Dead for the first time, had a sincere chat with the hag. It's great fun this spell :lol:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Does it kill the notification tho? I installed it yesterday and still get the warning.
Are you sure you've got the right version: 536.99

I'd appreciate opinions on this opinion of a good friend, a real old-school gamer guy.

I’m also enjoying BG3, though I could do with less cutscenes with everyone holding their hands to their temple while squinting. I went with Gale, and am currently having Astarion, Shadowheart and Karlach alongside. I’ve been finding that I absolutely need a rogue, despite the fact that he’s hard to keep happy. I’m thinking of switching out the cleric for either Wyll or Lae’zel, though. The thing is when I need the cleric, I really need her; otherwise her place in the combat queue is largely a waste of time. I did find out, however, that her illusion divine ability that gives folks advantage within 3 meters is a huge difference maker in combat.

I made it a point never to play past the druid grove in early access, so, thankfully, all of this is new to me. They also changed a lot of the early stages, which was a nice surprise. I’m still a bit confused as to whether I should be fighting the goblins, trying to command them, or just avoid them, which bugs me. Like at the deep gnome watermill thing, avoiding the fight is pretty easy, but the old DnD player in me is very uncomfortable with leaving a goblin force at my back. But, on the other hand, if I go 100% goblin-death, am I going to walk into a situation later one where there are 250 of them at the keep, all hostile? It’s realistic—how would you know if you were really there?—but at the same time a bit frustrating.

I think a better CRPG design decision would be to make the early stage of the game revolve around 3-5 related quests and not, as here, 20. Like with Cyberpunk, I’m finding it a bit overwhelming. Maybe this is just me, though. I try not to meta-game and play as if I was in the shoes of my PC, but with BG3 this is especially difficult.

I also think that Gale’s arcane hunger mechanic is broken. He never seems to actually suffer the condition, even though the journal has been updated to reflect it’s time to eat another magic item. Are you familiar with the similar hunger mechanic is Mask of the Betrayer? There, I felt under pressure, the clock was ticking, it was anxiety-making. Here, it’s just, I don’t know, a gimmick that is negligible, especially considering the large number of very minorly enchanted items set along your path.
He is wrong on Shadowheart's utility, cleric is a killer class in general. Spiritual Weapon is great, her damage-dealing spells are great, her Bless is great, and she can reach at least 18 AC by lvl 4 (unbuffed). He ought to know that if he's been playing the EA especially.

He can kill the goblins outside the goblin camp and still infiltrate the camp peacefully.

Regarding the abundance of quests in the early game - I think they are mostly different routes towards the same goal, and the player has to choose who to turn to for help. The thing is that in a videogame, they have to be denoted as quests in a journal where in a PnP game they would just be options the DM would give to the party, the party would consider picking one and the others would not be on the table until that one they chose would be resolved.

Great job on trying to roleplay. IMO this is how the game is meant to be played. My rule is if I wouldn't do something in PnP I don't do it in the game. I sometimes reload when I've goofed something in the interface, but that's mostly it.

Can't comment on Gale's mechanic because I'm playing a custom PC.

Your friend should make an account here.

People who played early access get Fane's mask from DOS2 in their camp, you can use it to disguise yourself to any race-body type.
So, the equivalent of the disguise spell? That one left me disappointed, I wanted to disguise myself as a goblin, but only the playable races are allowed.

By the way I cast Speak With Dead for the first time, had a sincere chat with the hag. It's great fun this spell :lol:

She is only real support companion, rest of them is more combat focused. She is mechanicaly pointless only when you playing as a support cleric.

Shaki

Arbiter
Owlbear-Petting Simulator of the Year

bg3owlbear05dq5.png
Damn, I just killed it since I thought having a big monster grow up hating me for offing his mum is not the smartest idea, it's like asking for karma to hit you back.

Didn't know you can actually pet it and shit, somehow first killing his mum then treating it as a pet seems even more psychotic than just murderhobo'ing both as I did. Or is there a way to get it without murking the mum?

mastroego

Arcane
DISCLAIMER.
I was gifted the game. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

All my gaming life I've played goody two-shoes characters.
I won't do it now as I hate everything. I won't bend to the modern concept of "goodness".
I won't play pure evil, ok, but I'll go around showing disdain for most stuff.
So I made a decently looking char, I guess, but with a smug, punchable face.
Then made a hottie as a Guardian, whatever that may be.

Freed both Shadowheart and the Gith.
Yeah I guess she's evil but I like her attitude and we shared time as escapees, and bled together.
It kinda makes sense that we try to make it work as a team despite everything. This once.

I left Gale in that vortex thingie. Metagamed a little, I suppose.... reloaded and went away without touching it.
No thanks.
The warlock won't be let in either.
Who even are these guys, just leave me alone!

The vampire I'll try and tolerate for a while.
We'll see.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
gnomes are worst dnd race. why they even exist?
Gary Gygax wanted more racial options for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and therefore added half-elves, gnomes, and half-orcs. However, gnomes as described in the AD&D rulebooks are simply a mixture of elves, dwarves, and halflings, without any real identity of their own. Moreover, in actual campaign settings, gnomes were generally presented as quite similar to dwarves, which made them redundant. This only changed with the Dragonlance campaign setting establishing Tinker Gnomes, based around madcap engineering of baroque technologies that frequently malfunctioned in amusing ways. The hardcover Dragonlance campaign setting rulebook released in 1987 even had a Tinker Gnome race and character class available for players, but they were never really suitable as PCs for adventuring, so as much as this differentiated gnomes from the other demi-human races, it didn't make them any better suited to being a player-character race option. Tinker Gnomes were directly carried into the Spelljammer campaign setting in 1989, and a bit earlier were borrowed by Bruce Heard for the Known World campaign setting, which utilized D&D rules and therefore did not allow gnomes as a player-character race option but did have a few scattered gnomish communities which now had a distinguishable identity.

cat2.jpg
ac11.jpg

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Owlbear-Petting Simulator of the Year

bg3owlbear05dq5.png
Damn, I just killed it since I thought having a big monster grow up hating me for offing his mum is not the smartest idea, it's like asking for karma to hit you back.

Didn't know you can actually pet it and shit, somehow first killing his mum then treating it as a pet seems even more psychotic than just murderhobo'ing both as I did. Or is there a way to get it without murking the mum?
I used the speak with animals ability to calm her down, then at some point later the goblins came along and killed her and kidnapped the little cub same as if they do if the PC killed her and you rescue him later at camp. I think you might also be able to use animal handling but I'm not 100% sure

La vie sexuelle

Learned
g of baroque technologies that frequently malfunctioned in amusing ways. The hardcover Dragonlance campaign setting rulebook released in 1987 even had a Tinker Gnome race and character class available for players, but they were never really suitable as PCs for adventuring, so as much as this differentiated gnomes from the other demi-human races, it didn't make them any better suited to being a player-character race option. Tinker Gnomes were directly carried into the Spelljammer campaign setting in 1989, and a bit earlier were borrowed by Bruce Heard for the Known World campaign setting, which utilized D&D rules and therefore did not allow gnomes as a player-character race option but did have a few scattered gnomish communities which now had a distinguishable identity.
A'propos de Dragonlance - Kenders would fit in to current, WoTWc, vision of Forgotten Realms. Thanks God, they know nothing about their properties before year 2000.

From normal Wik (bold from me)i:
When kender appeared in the computer game Champions of Krynn, released in 1990, they were described as "a diminutive and highly playful race that resembles Tolkien's hobbit".

Hickman's primary contributions to the development of the kender were their curiosity and their tendency to "borrow" objects. His desire for the skills of a thief, without the associated moral concerns raised by a "race of thieves", led to depicting kender as possessing a habit of finding things that have dropped into their pouches by accident, picking things up in the streets, finding "junk", and generally acquiring things that belong to other people. This habit was justified in Dragonlance Adventures through Hickman's decision to provide the kender with enormous natural curiosity, a character trait which is also employed to provide the characters with lock picking skills and a tendency to "listen in on other's conversations".
Kender are described as not believing that there is anything morally wrong with handling others' items,[14] although the habit may land them in considerable trouble with the owner of an object. In addition, they do not tend to pocket things like money, gems, and the like, as they are depicted as having little concept of monetary value.[13] Kender oppose actual thieving vehemently, and consider being called a thief a great insult to their dignity.
As a side effect of these characteristics, kender can be difficult to play within the role-playing game, as their lack of interest in monetary gain is "a virtual anathema" to the manner in which characters of many other races are typically portrayed. It was recommended in The Mists of Krynn that kender be employed as non-player characters, with their kleptomania providing a convenient means for those running the game to introduce objects at critical times.

In Dragonlance Adventures, kender are described as masters at the art of insulting people, using a wide repertoire of taunts, sarcasm, rudeness, and insults. This is made possible due to the shocking insights into an individual's character flaws that a kender can gain through his or her intense curiosity. Kender are also described in Dragonlance Adventures as using this ability to taunt creatures, causing them to become irrational and attack wildly or fall into some kind of trap.
In the computer game Champions of Krynn, kender are portrayed as "the only race that can taunt enemies, driving them into a rage ... and forcing them to focus their attacks on kender". Hickman explained that this characteristic in the kender was created by the game group which was responsible for creating the original saga. Although they thought it was a simple feature, including it in subsequent books proved to be a long-term challenge.

Shaki

Arbiter

I keep watching vtubers play the game. Women who are completely new to D&D are doing fine on Balanced.

You're watching women who managed to make millions by not even whoring themselves, but whoring a virtual avatar. It's as if you were able to become rich by having your character in BG3 fuck the frog and Gale and whatever else you fucked by this point. They're probably in top 0,001% females in terms of IQ, and well suited to playing RPGs. If you managed to create a fake character that was able to make 5 million dollars from retarded simps irl, then you can make a fake character that will be able to kill some fake monsters in a video game.

That's assuming they're even actually women, I'd bet a lot of these vtubers are actually trannies or dudes with voice changers.

Herumor

Scholar
JFC this game is going to traumatize me fr.

After visiting squidface's old hideout, get summoned to his dreamland.
Blablabla.
"What surprises me is how much i’ve come to enjoy your mind and company."
Me: no not you too, no wtf no cmon this can't be happening no wtf no
“I think of you as a good friend….and something more? ;)

Well there is something more disgusting than fucking a bear (act 3 sex scene)
qkml3cc.jpg
Protip: you're being manipulated.

Anyway, revisited Act 3 with my Drow Druid before starting a new playthrough and finished up Wyll's personal quest.

To those who finished it as well, how do you feel about the fact that the Dream Guardian / Emperor is actually Balduran?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, so Wyll is quite bugged, as it appears. Likely Wyll and Karlach were the two companions rushed towards the end as Grunker said, and it shows.

1. I killed Karlach. Wyll was in my party then. He commented that he doesn't feel particularly better after that.
2. My third long rest was after I solved the halflings' problem, so it was the celebration. I looked for Wyll but he was nowhere to be found.
3. I went to camp deliberately once more. This time Wyll is there. I talk to him and he comments on Waukeen's Rest's affairs. Never once does he mention Karlach.
4. I move on to the Mountain pass. The game warns me to tie loose ends (I wonder what for, since I can return to the map). BTW the game also warns you that you are underleveled if you are not at least lvl 5 when you try to go to the Mountain pass.

5. Upon going to the mountain pass, I am first transferred to the camp, it's night, and a cutscene starts where Wyll's patron devil shows up and starts punishing Wyll for not havig killed Karlach, who is actually dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom