Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
mod out cringe gay people mod in optimistic heroic superstraight people

Hell has frozen over because I actually agree with Maxie for once. See what Larian and Wizards did? They made me agree with Maxie!!!

:despair:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
JFC this game is going to traumatize me fr.

After visiting squidface's old hideout, get summoned to his dreamland.
Blablabla.
"What surprises me is how much i’ve come to enjoy your mind and company."
Me: no not you too, no wtf no cmon this can't be happening no wtf no
“I think of you as a good friend….and something more? ;)

Shaki

Arbiter
If rolling dice game sells bilions and gets highest scores then does it mean that codex is and always was mainstream and rest were grognardz ?

:philosoraptor:
Imagine if normie zoomers new to the RPGs, will actually go search for the forum about the genre after liking BG3, and somehow land here :lol: It will scar them for life

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it just me or do many americans hate games made by europeans? 4chan is full of "europoors" this and that, seems they're mad BG3 is doing so well.
We're giving your game 97% approval.

Are the Belge capable of simply enjoying success, or is the lack of experience leaving you at a loss? Just tell your bear friend to execute his Schlieffen Plan on your ass and maybe that will help you relax.
We'll see Cletus.

See whether you can handle success? We already have - all you’ve mustered is the usual Belge whine. Is *is* good to see you hired some consultants to wipe your resting bitch face from most of the companions - big improvement.

Your good sense is almost midwestern. Cletus is a Southern name and although they have their own charms they’re unmistakably distinct from mine.

Unmistakable that is for anyone but your garden-variety EU provincial.

just

Liturgist
if you mod out gay people it's you and the dog left in the camp
and even he probably becomes gay if you bring owlbear along

Gradenmayer

Learned
If rolling dice game sells bilions and gets highest scores then does it mean that codex is and always was mainstream and rest were grognardz ?

Imagine if normie zoomers new to the RPGs, will actually go search for the forum about the genre after liking BG3, and somehow land here :lol: It will scar them for life
Sure, bud. Here is how it will actually go:

-Visits forums
“Damn, for a place called RPGcodex, they sure hate RPGs”
-Leaves

Hagashager

Educated

-Visits forums
-Leaves
They will never come to the RPG Codex. Coming here is a deliberate choice made by people who have already been burned by elsewhere.

The Zoomers will and already are going to Reddit. If they drain reddit, they'll go to places like Giantintheplayground forums next.

Codex isn't that famous anymore...

worse even, the 'Dex has a terrible reputation. This place is described as "Diet 4Chan" and a hive of bigots, racists, sexists and social outcasts. If you come here, you're a bad person.

turkishronin

Arcane
Will BG3 be able to kick off the highest ranking RPG on metacritic?

afbeelding.png

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/role-playing/all?view=detailed
Unironically no because whatever DOSII had was better than DnD ruleset

I've played for a bit on tactician and so far I think Wrath of the Righteous is the better game. BG3 is decent, I guess, but I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about. There is nothing new or special about this game and it doesn't captivate me very much either.

...but I do feel like playing some more instead of uninstalling, so that is not a bad sign.

:swen:

Shaki

Arbiter

-Visits forums
-Leaves
I think seeing 1000 pages of:

- "GAME HAS TOO MUCH FAGGOT NIGGER TRANNY"
- "NO, ACTUALLY YOU CAN KILL FAGGOT NIGGER TRANNY SO ITS GOOD"
- "BUT GAME STILL HAS TOO MUCH FAGGOT NIGGER TRANNY"
- "BUT OTHER GAME HAD MORE FAGGOT NIGGER TRANNY AND YOU LIKED IT"

in a loop, would be a bigger problem.

Heinrich

Scholar
TIL I learned that Swen Vincke has a 17 year old son: https://www.pcgamer.com/dad-people-...-ready-for-the-bear-sex-scene-to-go-so-viral/

'Dad, people are sending me pictures of bears': Baldur's Gate 3 boss Swen Vincke 'wasn't ready' for the bear sex scene to go so viral​

When your son's friends start sending him bear pics, you know you made a splash.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a game of grand adventure, a game of nuanced character choices, a game of creative problem solving, a game full of literally hundreds of spells. It's also a game where you can have sex with a bear. Guess which of the above rocketed Baldur's Gate 3 to viral mainstream attention just a few weeks before release? I expected Baldur's Gate 3 to be big, but I did not expect a marketing campaign highlighting a sex scene with a bear (okay, to be clear, it's a sex scene with a druid who can transform into a bear) to help Baldur's Gate 3 pull in 800,000 concurrent players over the weekend.

"Yeah, me neither," Larian founder Swen Vincke told me in an interview on Monday. But he did explain why the Baldur's Gate 3 studio thought it was a good showcase for the game, which turned out to be the exact right instinct in the leadup to release.

"We wanted a scene people were going to talk about, but we wanted to show that this was a cinematic game, with characters that have depth to them. The bear's obviously a druid, and he has a story. He's been around for hundreds of years. He's lived with bears for part of his life also, so that's where the bear thing comes from. It's interesting when you start thinking about it, what it meant for him living with bears, right? Because there's also horny bears in the world."

(Immediately after saying the words "there's also horny bears in the world," Vincke added "I shouldn't have said that," but I have to back him up here. According to BearSmart.com, "not only are male bears promiscuous, but females often have more than one mating partner." There are definitely horny bears in the world.)

Vincke soldiered on: "We wanted to show you agency, with a cinematic resolution to it. We wanted to show the game is also fun, which is where the squirrel comes into play. So there were a lot of things captured in that one scene. It shone a light on the entire game in a very summarized beat, so in that sense, it was a good one to pick."

It helped that around the same time Larian showed off the sex scene, previews of Baldur's Gate 3 were also hitting online, offering a more substantial dive into the game. Anyone who learned about it through the viral scene could easily go and read more about it.

As it turned out, some of the people who picked up on the scene were the friends of Vincke's 17-year-old son. "My son comes to me telling me 'dad, people are sending me pictures of bears from everywhere," he said. "I wasn't ready for that. I could overhear him going like 'Yeah, I KNOW!' [to people who called him]."

Since release players have discovered that Baldur's Gate 3 certainly doesn't begin and end with ursine promiscuity. It is on the whole a very horny—or at least unabashedly sexual—RPG, with customizable genitals already spawning size mods and companions ready to romance you at the drop of a helm.

"Fantasy and romance have always been intermingled with each other, and now being able to show things [with better cinematics], it makes it more engaging," Vincke said. "We wanted them to be player agency-driven, so you feel like 'I got into this romance situation because I engaged with that person and did these things, I listened to them and understood them.' It makes for better storytelling because there's more emotion.

"You see that very clearly when people are streaming … there are some critical moments in the game, depending on which character you have, where you have to make choices, where your best interests are not necessarily served by the best interests of your romantic partner at that moment, and that creates great drama. You get great conflict there, and that creates the most engaging storytelling you can have in certain moments. Or if you have multiple party members that are romantically interested in you facing off against each other, that also creates great drama. That's good storytelling. Having that human emotion present inside of the game just makes for better storytelling. That's where we went very far."

Now that we're playing Baldur's Gate 3 for ourselves, we still have bears on the brain—if you can't decide on how to spec your characters, may we recommend making a party of nothing but bears?
Also at least one daughter iirc.

turkishronin

Arcane

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TIL I learned that Swen Vincke has a 17 year old son: https://www.pcgamer.com/dad-people-...-ready-for-the-bear-sex-scene-to-go-so-viral/

'Dad, people are sending me pictures of bears': Baldur's Gate 3 boss Swen Vincke 'wasn't ready' for the bear sex scene to go so viral​

When your son's friends start sending him bear pics, you know you made a splash.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a game of grand adventure, a game of nuanced character choices, a game of creative problem solving, a game full of literally hundreds of spells. It's also a game where you can have sex with a bear. Guess which of the above rocketed Baldur's Gate 3 to viral mainstream attention just a few weeks before release? I expected Baldur's Gate 3 to be big, but I did not expect a marketing campaign highlighting a sex scene with a bear (okay, to be clear, it's a sex scene with a druid who can transform into a bear) to help Baldur's Gate 3 pull in 800,000 concurrent players over the weekend.

"Yeah, me neither," Larian founder Swen Vincke told me in an interview on Monday. But he did explain why the Baldur's Gate 3 studio thought it was a good showcase for the game, which turned out to be the exact right instinct in the leadup to release.

"We wanted a scene people were going to talk about, but we wanted to show that this was a cinematic game, with characters that have depth to them. The bear's obviously a druid, and he has a story. He's been around for hundreds of years. He's lived with bears for part of his life also, so that's where the bear thing comes from. It's interesting when you start thinking about it, what it meant for him living with bears, right? Because there's also horny bears in the world."

(Immediately after saying the words "there's also horny bears in the world," Vincke added "I shouldn't have said that," but I have to back him up here. According to BearSmart.com, "not only are male bears promiscuous, but females often have more than one mating partner." There are definitely horny bears in the world.)

Vincke soldiered on: "We wanted to show you agency, with a cinematic resolution to it. We wanted to show the game is also fun, which is where the squirrel comes into play. So there were a lot of things captured in that one scene. It shone a light on the entire game in a very summarized beat, so in that sense, it was a good one to pick."

It helped that around the same time Larian showed off the sex scene, previews of Baldur's Gate 3 were also hitting online, offering a more substantial dive into the game. Anyone who learned about it through the viral scene could easily go and read more about it.

As it turned out, some of the people who picked up on the scene were the friends of Vincke's 17-year-old son. "My son comes to me telling me 'dad, people are sending me pictures of bears from everywhere," he said. "I wasn't ready for that. I could overhear him going like 'Yeah, I KNOW!' [to people who called him]."

Since release players have discovered that Baldur's Gate 3 certainly doesn't begin and end with ursine promiscuity. It is on the whole a very horny—or at least unabashedly sexual—RPG, with customizable genitals already spawning size mods and companions ready to romance you at the drop of a helm.

"Fantasy and romance have always been intermingled with each other, and now being able to show things [with better cinematics], it makes it more engaging," Vincke said. "We wanted them to be player agency-driven, so you feel like 'I got into this romance situation because I engaged with that person and did these things, I listened to them and understood them.' It makes for better storytelling because there's more emotion.

"You see that very clearly when people are streaming … there are some critical moments in the game, depending on which character you have, where you have to make choices, where your best interests are not necessarily served by the best interests of your romantic partner at that moment, and that creates great drama. You get great conflict there, and that creates the most engaging storytelling you can have in certain moments. Or if you have multiple party members that are romantically interested in you facing off against each other, that also creates great drama. That's good storytelling. Having that human emotion present inside of the game just makes for better storytelling. That's where we went very far."

Now that we're playing Baldur's Gate 3 for ourselves, we still have bears on the brain—if you can't decide on how to spec your characters, may we recommend making a party of nothing but bears?
Sorry son, but I think you are of the correct age. You must know about certains things. Such as, for example, a procreation.

You know, when a man and a bear love each other...

Gradenmayer

Learned
Wrath of the Righteous is the better game
Wrath has no redeeming qualities unless you're a low functioning build autist
RPGs are about builds the more you build the more RPGer it is.
Infinitron take
builds offer more role-playing than dialogue choices
Is Path of exile the best rpg?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom