Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The whole Auntie Ethel/Mayrina sequence was very cool indeed, in all departments (combat, design, music, dialogue, glorious, scenery-chewing character acting, etc). Hugely immersive, amounting to a sense of "presence" at times - very reminiscent of the mesmerising 3 witches sequence in TW3.

It's the second time I got a strong BG vibe and forgot it was a Larian game (first time was the phase spider cave and the associated quests) - that sense of monstrous evil, etc. The coda was sad too, no really stellar outcome there (quite tricky for a Paladin as well, in the end I snapped the wand, on the basis that doing the other thing would have just prolonged her travails, whereas now - hopefully - she can move on with her life, at the cost of thinking I'm a bastard. But that's fine, we Paladins don't need to be loved, we just need to do the right thing - mainly Divine Smiting evil into oblivion :) ).

To get Mayrina down I used a void bulb - I was quite chuffed with myself for coming up with that, though I later realized I could have just used the fucking "control orb" there once I reached it, but I didn't notice that till after it was all over. :D

(Btw if you speak to Auntie when she's dead it's quite amusing - never stop being Auntie Ethel, Auntie Ethel :) - but there again, it reminded me of how absolutely stuffed to the gills the game is with great bits of voice acting in almost every NPC you come across.)

The whole Auntie Ethel/Mayrina sequence was very cool indeed, in all departments (combat, design, music, dialogue, glorious, scenery-chewing character acting, etc). Hugely immersive, amounting to a sense of "presence" at times - very reminiscent of the mesmerising 3 witches sequence in TW3.

It's the second time I got a strong BG vibe and forgot it was a Larian game (first time was the phase spider cave and the associated quests) - that sense of monstrous evil, etc. The coda was sad too, no really stellar outcome there (quite tricky for a Paladin as well, in the end I snapped the wand, on the basis that doing the other thing would have just prolonged her travails, whereas now - hopefully - she can move on with her life, at the cost of thinking I'm a bastard. But that's fine, we Paladins don't need to be loved, we just need to do the right thing - mainly Divine Smiting evil into oblivion :) ).

To get Mayrina down I used a void bulb - I was quite chuffed with myself for coming up with that, though I later realized I could have just used the fucking "control orb" there once I reached it, but I didn't notice that till after it was all over. :D

(Btw if you speak to Auntie when she's dead it's quite amusing - never stop being Auntie Ethel, Auntie Ethel :) - but there again, it reminded me of how absolutely stuffed to the gills the game is with great bits of voice acting in almost every NPC you come across.)
My pally decided to help her, only to realize that yes, the man comes back, but as a zombie... and she takes him anyway, because she loves him so much. It's more pathetic than degenerate.

Aemar

Arcane
I hate how my guy looks like he's smugly smirking in every single conversation
It reflects the personality of Larian's CEO, just as some people have noticed a facial similarity with the Astarion character.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
D4 is 3 months old, and has 400,000 concurrent players on average each day. People aren't watching it because they are playing it. How old is BG3?
D4 is also basically an MMO, and has a different system of monetization. I'm sure it will be a much more profitable and long-term game than BG3, thanks to guys like you spending $30 on new outfits, but the marketing and maintenance is going to be far more expensive. Something Blizzard can afford, but not Larian.

Really pointless comparing the two games.

None

Arbiter
The whole Auntie Ethel/Mayrina sequence was very cool indeed,
I just got to this bit. Knocked out the two guys talking to her and I'm now wading through the swamp. Really digging the environment work that is on display, whoever put this together did a good job.

Played a bit more of this today and it's uncanny how bland and lifeless the UI is. It's barely passable in terms of functionality and completely devoid of any personality. Unique items have no unique art. Everything is incredibly generic. I guess normies don't appreciate things like elaborate item art designs, unique fonts, etc. Everything is careening towards Uniproduct (tm) for the Uniconsoomer (tm).

I quite like the combat gameplay, but everything around it, from the writing to the worldbuilding, to most encounters themselves, varies from extremely bland to atrocious. It's almost tragic.

I felt the same way in Divinity: OS. Didn't play D:OS 2. I guess I didn't expect any different.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Curious to know re. the swamp, did anybody not pass a check, and still saw the place as a sunny wetland with "sheep"? I guess the "sheep" attack you at some point? Or does the illusion carry on to Auntie's place being a nice tea house or something?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think I beat the build game. Around 38 functional AC, massive save bonuses, got a certain drow's shield for advantage on magic saves/hit disadvantage, numerous other defensive stuff.

Sorcadin can cast haste on self, fuckton of damage, fuckton of spell slots.

Have been actually untouchable for entire setpiece fights.

If this was real tabletop 5e, I'd be off to fight Tiamat or some shit.

If this overpowered version of dnd ever gets to level 20, we can start purging the Abyss.

:shredder:

Curious to know re. the swamp, did anybody not pass a check, and still saw the place as a sunny wetland with "sheep"? I guess the "sheep" attack you at some point? Or does the illusion carry on to Auntie's place being a nice tea house or something?
The redcaps are Auntie's bodyguards of sorts. They're vicious, yes. Also don't forget to interact with the monster hunter.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yhea, I don't know why I pirated and played this turd after the EA. this is still Original Sin 3. Everything reek of the retarded Larian design. UI got slightly cleaned, still terrible. Unequipping your weapon removes its attacks, equipping it again doesn't put them in the same hotbar slots as before. You have 100 types of arrows, bombs, scrolls and other shit that clutter your inventory on top of the still present spoons, candles, bones and all the Elder scrolls type pointless loot.
Story- unfocused, you aimlessly and without reason go from quest to quest that don't fallow any structure at all, 100% sure everything is designed with the premade characters in mind as with both Original Sin games. Dialog and logbook descriptions for a lot of quests are written in a way that if you didn't fallow them in the designed order don't make sense, characters are spoken about as if you already knew them or you missed some dialog, text or NPC. And the writing itself- still terrible. Need 2 tablets of analgesics after each sitting with the game just to numb the pain from the "everything is wacky and quirky" to the nu-speak in a fantasy setting. Companion motivations to be or stay in your party make zero sense and you can persuade/intimidate them to do things completely at odds with their character.
Combat- retarded Larian design once again, cheesing every fight is the best tactic, the moment you get a knock-back type skill or spell (so when you hit lvl 2) the battles become trivial. At level 5 balance is already so out of wack it's impressive how can you make D&D system so ridiculous, I'm doing close to 100 damage with a fighter in one turn without crits WTF!?! Tactician is also surprisingly easy. And this is still early in the game where if it's like the first two D:OS games (I'm 99% sure it will be) in later parts fights become easier and easier. On top of that stupid me made a character with high Charisma, so I skill check myself from 80% of the fights so far- big mistake.

Last edited:
I just got to this bit. Knocked out the two guys talking to her and I'm now wading through the swamp. Really digging the environment work that is on display, whoever put this together did a good job.
Did you kill them? You can use speak with the dead on them. You can do it with most, if not all, named npcs. If the corpse says it wouldn't talk to you, you can use disguise self to trick them.

None

Arbiter
Did you kill them? You can use speak with the dead on them. You can do it with most, if not all, named npcs. If the corpse says it wouldn't talk to you, you can use disguise self to trick them.
Nope. Nonlethal damage. I wasn't being euphemistic when I said I knocked them out. Interested to see if the game will account for that in some way.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Finished the game. Loved it, will formulate my full thoughts later. The ending is certainly bittersweet, and I think I encountered either a bug, or bad writing.

In the end, someone needs to become a mind flayer to dominate the crown - either you, or Orpheus. However, Gale immediately has an alternate proposition - he Mystra akbars himself into the Netherbrain. He's going to die, obviously, but Faerun is a setting with the confirmed afterlife, and he should be getting a fucking hero's welcome in his. Becoming a mind flayer, however, is the end, because mind flayers don't have souls - you hang on for however long you manage to, and then nothing, oblivion. With that in mind, Gale's sacrifice is objectively the best option.
But again - either because of a bug, or because of bad writing, you can't tell Orpheus that there's an alternate path. Gale can still blow himself up (skipping the final boss, presumably), but at this point one of you is already a mind flayer, so there's no fucking point.

In the end I pussied out of becoming a mind flayer and let Orpheus sacrifice his soul, which made me feel a little bit like a scumbag. The game's ending delivered closure for a lot of my followers, but for some reason not Shadowheart, my romance, who got jack shit. But that's alright.

In the end, loved it, very much worth the wait. Gonna play through it again, and wait eagerly for the inevitable enhanced edition.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I think I beat the build game. Around 38 functional AC, massive save bonuses, got a certain drow's shield for advantage on magic saves/hit disadvantage, numerous other defensive stuff.

Sorcadin can cast haste on self, fuckton of damage, fuckton of spell slots.
Sounds like a good build for my eventual Lawful Good playthrough where I purge the unclean from Tamriel. (Again.)

Nope. Nonlethal damage. I wasn't being euphemistic when I said I knocked them out. Interested to see if the game will account for that in some way.
The story behind the girl, the reason why she's there, and what she's doing, is really twisted. So yeah, you're in for a surprise.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The story behind the girl, the reason why she's there, and what she's doing, is really twisted. So yeah, you're in for a surprise.
I really appreciate all the ways to fail that quest btw. Having multiple solutions is basic to quest design. But multiple points of failure is some prestigious stuff.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
At level 5 balance is already so out of wack it's impressive how can you make D&D system so ridiculous, I'm doing close to 100 damage with a fighter in one turn without crits WTF!?!
That's actually pretty impressive. With a particular item or build?

5E is a very abusable system as is. Larian doing things like dropping multiclass requirements probably doesn't make it any better. Some higher difficulty options should definitely be there for people who know how to game or cheese the system.

pm_675

Arbiter

The fuck? Isn't the level cap 12? How on earth did you get 38 ac?

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
D4 is 3 months old, and has 400,000 concurrent players on average each day. People aren't watching it because they are playing it. How old is BG3?
D4 is also basically an MMO, and has a different system of monetization. I'm sure it will be a much more profitable and long-term game than BG3, thanks to guys like you spending $30 on new outfits, but the marketing and maintenance is going to be far more expensive. Something Blizzard can afford, but not Larian.

Really pointless comparing the two games.
I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison. That was abu antar. I was just making fun of the people claiming this would outsell Starfield and the other AAA heavy hitters. He decided to make it into a BG3 vs D4 thing, probably out of jealousy if I had to guess.

None

Arbiter
Just finished it up. Let the girl know I only knocked out those lads and she reacted as if they died, and then the dialogue repeated itself.

In the end she got exactly what she wanted while the hag did not. No sign of the two I knocked out, but going through the hag's place and seeing some changes was nice. And finding a hidden area that led me to the Underdark was a surprise too, so I guess I'll be spelunking next time I play. 8/10 quest

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I really hate this trend of every party member has to be fuckable. Just very weird and cringe. A universe where being straight just doesn't exist. You literally can't have a male bro who doesn't want to fuck you. Refuse to use any male party members because I don't roll with faggots in my party.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From reading this thread it seems like the opposite of the usual D&D games - Monks are basically useless and Paladins curbstomp everything.

Too bad I don't have either in my party :lol:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really hate this trend of every party member has to be fuckable. Just very weird and cringe. A universe where being straight just doesn't exist. You literally can't have a male bro who doesn't want to fuck you. Refuse to use any male party members because I don't roll with faggots in my party.

Blame Bioware and the original Baldurs Gates.

They started this slippery slope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom