Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected
There are plenty of very beautiful NPCs around; I'm not sure why people just post the more bad-looking ones. However, I went through Act 3 and reached Baldur's Gate, and quite honestly, the city not only looks lively but is full of questlines and reactivity all around. They did a majestic job.
The detail in the ambient, exploration, and encounter design is very good. Sure, some things need to be improved, but there will be mods for that at some point.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Have not played the game. A couple of questions:

- Does this have cool mage duels / battles like in BG2?
- How is the encounter design?
- Can anyone explain to me in a normal way how a mainstream AAA developer considered it OK to add penis and vagina options in chargen? What is the thinking here? Is this virtue signalling, or is there a sizeable audience who want this? Seems there is no reason to add this unless there are tons of sex scenes and people want to customize.... genitalia? Truly baffled here a bit
- If the game is so sexual, is it possible to play this in a 80'ies high-fantasy style, with blonde bimbos in bikini armor everywhere etc?

Self-Ejected

- Can anyone explain to me in a normal way how a mainstream AAA developer considered it OK to add penis and vagina options? What is the thinking here? Is this virtue signalling, or is there a sizeable audience who want this? Baffled here a bit
- If the game is so sexual, is it possible to play this in a 80'ies high-fantasy style, with blonde bimbos in bikini armor everywhere etc?
1) Yes, the game has mage duels. Ennemies use different spells and, unlike the old title, use some logic. For example, they could use AOE on you if the people in your group are too close to each other. Or they can use a spell to push you away if you are close to a ledge.
2) Why not? The game is not for kids.
3) With mods everything is possible but the game itself has nice skimpy outfits. (Not considered as armor but outfits).

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

- How is the encounter design?
- Can anyone explain to me in a normal way how a mainstream AAA developer considered it OK to add penis and vagina options in chargen? What is the thinking here? Is this virtue signalling, or is there a sizeable audience who want this? Baffled here a bit

-It's levels 1-12 so most of the early game the puny spellcasters will be slinging shitty cantrips and lvl 1-2 spells, though I'm hopeful act 3 at least will let them shine because it's very much a martial show early on.
-I think it's fine overall, perhaps the most enjoyable bit is the verticality - it pays to have one ranged duder in your party at least.
-They're belgians.
-You can hide regular gear and have only their camp gear visible, which ranges from regular all the way to bdsm leather. Or just remove them and you'll run around naked, that works too. No bikini armor or even boobplate though which is sad.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
The ING retard reviewer is too dumb to review the game.

Guy that said "too many spells in the game"

afbeelding.png

What's with the she/thems reviewing this game? first Jade King and now this

she them.png

Is this Larian's target audience?

Gerrard

Arcane
Fucking Disco Elysium is 97 and you think your review scores matter LMAO
I mean, it's the iOS ranking.
I doubt there are many better games than these two there.
It says "Platform: PC" right there.

Haven't read much nor did I play any of the EA. Plan on giving this a go when I build my new rig next week. However, the little I have read says that right now this is more of a "Sexual harassment simulator" with you the player being the target of said harassment. Everyone hits on you / wants to sleep with you constantly anytime you choose a nice dialogue response? True / hyperbole? If so does this game allow you to create your own party like Icewind Dale to avoid this cringe?
True ane not hyperbole and bollocks to anyone who dares say otherwise. Never in ANY rpg have i had to endure so many “i see you as a friend...and something more“. Seriously bioware games get a bad rap but i have never seen anything like this.

If your pc is nice and sociable, it will keep happening, at time of writing i’ve just had bear dude declare his love to me which was just as puzzling as with gale since i NEVER used this character and talked to him like twice.
you probably come across as gay to anyone you talk to
I know it shouldn't come as a surprise, but I can't get over how many people here fail at reading basic social cues.

- The game allows you to show interest, and to respond to interest shown to you. Yes.
- You could try looking for the meaning behind the words, before clicking the dialog option. But that's either an unknown concept to you, or you consider yourself obligated to click all the dialogue lines.
- You answer to flirting, and/or attempts by the NPC to direct the discussion towards romantic subjects, and then you wonder what happened. It's hilarious. I bet most such complainers are just as clueless IRL.

Are Baldur's Gate 3's social interactions indeed too difficult for hardcore gamers, because they were written realistically, unlike Bioware's? It appears so :lol:

You seriously think every man you interact with flirting with you is realistic human interaction? Btw this is not flirting, just asking.
I bet you Larian's writers are the kind of people who think that Frodo and Sam were a gay couple.

Reinhardt

Arcane
so i went to camp first time, kicked karlach and went to mummy guy to hire someone. DAFUG ARE THOSE THINGS HE OFFERS?!

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The ING retard reviewer is too dumb to review the game.

Guy that said "too many spells in the game"

afbeelding.png

What's with the she/thems reviewing this game? first Jade King and now this

View attachment 39865

Is this Larian's target audience?

She/they hates BG3 so far with "too many spells". Definitley not the audience.

Maybe she/they got upset with the drag/tranny being in a circus

Reinhardt

Arcane
no, seriously, i 'm kinda lost. can't decide who to take with me as 4th party member along with frog and shadow. dat feeling when elf vampire fag is almost normal choice compared to others...

not karlach - that's for sure. coldsteel sonic compared to her is cool and wholesome character.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The Gale show you something about magic scene.
Yeah and nothing happens if you tell him you don't feel the same way.
Untrue. The magic scene doesn't offer you to tell him you don't feel the same way. That's the scene after that. The magic scene just railroads you into a moment where you have to decide whether or not to kiss him, and then he acts disappointed. The stargazing scene still gets offered after that too.

Most people don't just make romantic overtures out of nowhere. Unless you're some sort of r-selected subhuman (edit: apparently this hit too close to home for Atleticano), you usually look for at least some sign the other person is interested before embarrassing yourself.

The game, however, makes Gale setup some sort of weird stargazing date even if you refuse his magic lesson faggotry. And the body language in both scenes is extremely gay. Just look at the stargazing part: you go from Gale's hologram saying that he wants to talk to you about something important to immediately sitting down extremely close to him.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
People don't like one class based on the Far East, in a setting full of Middle Eastern influences. Interesting.
:hmmm:
The Middle East has always been strongly tied to European history, so influences are certainly not out of place. Far East shit is, though. It's utterly alien.

Hey fellow Volksgenosse,

I need to correct you a bit on this, as this is my field of expertise (Archeologist).

Not only do we know about established trade ties with asian countries over the silk road reaching back to the vikings age (which is documented through artifacts from said cultures found in viking trading posts and graves), there were also numerous invasions from Asian cultures that left quite a hefty mark on early medieval and medieval Europe.

The Huns for example marked the beginning of the Völkerwanderungszeit and ushered in the early medieval time period. The german folk mythos, the Nibelungenlied, tells about how impactful that must have been to germanics and romans alike back then. The Goths for example got some cultural impact from the huns and started shaping and deform their skulls with ropes to appear longer in the likes of the huns. Oh, and they also brought the composite bow to the West and revolutionized western warfare, which is also a staple in D&D.

After that you have Mongols invading Europe all the time in the 13th and 14th century, which is pretty much THE high medieval times. They made it as far as to the east parts of the Holy Roman Empire, which is why some cities in Saxony (Meißen as an example) are built as "fortified labyrinths" to better fend them of.

You can see the same fortified towns in Siebenbürgen (Romania) and Hungary, both countries also heavily under attack from the Golden Horde.

Most of Eastern Europe and Russia were heavily devastated by mongols and their was a lot of raping. Russian nobility was aligned for quite some time with the Golden Horde in fragile alliances. Tithes to the asian overlords had to be paid. Which suits, because as we all know, slavs always need the boot to be kept happy.

Does that justify asian type monks in European setting? At least as much as jinns and Devas and the like, I would say. It is totally in the book a medieval person could've encountered some sort of asian spirituality (probably a pyramid of skulls, but more likely in shamanism).

wtf are you smoking? There's no comparison between the huge influence of three abrahamic religions and their associated cultures from the Middle East with sparse contacts along the Silk Road.

It wasn't like a single Ching Chong merchant did the whole Silk Road route, it was merchants moving stuff to merchants moving stuff to merchants, with the race changing along the way. Contact with the Far East was rare and exotic compared to the influence of the ME, with only the occasional traveller's tales.

Last edited:

N'wah

Novice
I would've taken Gale up on his magic offer if I wasn't tipped off by this thread. There wasn't much to suggest it would force your avatar into a romantic cutscene and the player will always have the impulse to explore as much companion dialogue as possible.

It doesn't help that Gale approval is ridiculously easy to earn. Unless you play a Dark Urge murder-hobo you're going to get enough approval from doing even the most basic acts of kindess to set you on Gale's romance path if he is in your party. The game definitely has a problem with closing that path off. I turned down his invitation to see some 'magic', but even just telling him not to leave at the party because I considered him a friend was enough to give me the option to dream about him as I slept - alongside Shadowheart who at that point my Tav had already kissed.

I might have kept him around even if he could Hiroshima Baldur's Gate from getting hit by a gobbo's stray arrow, but the only line I was given to get him to stay in a crisis dialogue later on was "I don't want you to leave Gale - I care about you too much" so off to the Underdark he went.

Mortmal

Arcane
I never liked monks because it's eastern shit and wtf is that crap doing to muh European medieval fantasy?

Keep that shit to oriental settings.
It's as old as greyhawk and i have fond memories of way of the tiger cyoa books too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Seriously, when i initially started playing and this happened the first few times, i believed you and the rest acting like one has to keep deliberately picking the obviously gay choices to get these outcomes, i believed this whole hahaha codexers dunno how to be sociable lol rhetoric.
But now i think it’s the other way around, what universe do you people live in when merely being nice to companions constitutes romantic interest? Where are the crystal clear obviously gay options i apparently keep accidentally selecting then forgetting their existence?

Jfc this isn’t a hill i am ready to die on nor do i care THIS much about it other then being :( that every time i turn down a npc it comes off as cold but the rest of you acting like this isn‘t a trend with the game and gaslighting others into thinking they did something wrong and are picking obviously gay options because hahaha you are social spergs schtick is getting old.

I was just making fun of you, the game is a bit too enthusiastic to throw romance at you from all sides. Game is clearly a 10 on the horny meter with some hilarious outcomes (or less hilarious if you would prefer to completely avoid this).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom