Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected
Quick questsion, how necessary is a thief for exploration?

Not really a fan of the 4 character party limit, but I kind of want to drop Astarian and replace him with another character, but that will leave me with no thieves. Without lockpicking is that going to lock me out of a lot of areas, loot, and quest resolution options, or is it just a small amount of bonus loot that is behind locks you have to pick?

I am considering multi-classing my PC fighter to thief to make up for this lack (although he isn't exactly dex focused fighter build). I might also just restart (I am still at the beginning) and make my PC a thief.

A 6 character party would help a lot as I already feel I am required to have at least one thief and one cleric in the party, which pretty much just leaves 1 open slot in the party that I can use to put in a character I am interested in having in the party. Unless I make my PC a cleric or thief.

Heck, maybe I will make my main character a cleric/thief, just so I get 3 party slots open to add whatever characters I think are interesting. Even though I would rather play a fighter.

Except I also want my main character to have a high CHA, since they are the one doing the conversation checks, so multiclassing with classes that have non-CHA as the primary stat might be dicey.

Have I mentioned how I am not a fan of this 4 character party limit?
D&D's fifth edition is tailored around a party of 4. To add more to the party would be to destroy any sort of balance in the game.

Said that. A thief is a very nice commodity to have. But there are other means to archieve similiar results after all this game rewards a lot sidethinking.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
More often than not locked goodie chests and doors have a key to open them nearby or on someone's corpse, and if they don't it's usually a shitty chest with something like 20 gold and two torches in them.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Breaking news people, the impossible has happened!

A WOMAN made an advance on my pc, huge.

Wyll's devil guardian waifu

Not really a fan of the 4 character party limit, but I kind of want to drop Astarian and replace him with another character, but that will leave me with no thieves. Without lockpicking is that going to lock me out of a lot of areas, loot, and quest resolution options, or is it just a small amount of bonus loot that is behind locks you have to pick?

I am considering multi-classing my PC fighter to thief to make up for this lack (although he isn't exactly dex focused fighter build). I might also just restart (I am still at the beginning) and make my PC a thief.

A 6 character party would help a lot as I already feel I am required to have at least one thief and one cleric in the party, which pretty much just leaves 1 open slot in the party that I can use to put in a character I am interested in having in the party. Unless I make my PC a cleric or thief.

Heck, maybe I will make my main character a cleric/thief, just so I get 3 party slots open to add whatever characters I think are interesting. Even though I would rather play a fighter.

Except I also want my main character to have a high CHA, since they are the one doing the conversation checks, so multiclassing with classes that have non-CHA as the primary stat might be dicey.

Not having a thief or someone who can open doors is a real pain in the arse imo. Whilst technically none are mandated for quest resolution as there are alternate ways to your objectives, a dedicated thief makes your life a whole lot easier. If there is some important loot then usually will be a key for it so consider chest opening to be optional but still nice.

Some people say they rely on knock spell to handle all their lockpicking needs so that could be a viable alternative if you are ok with your mage wasting his spells on that.

But yeah this is why you are likely to see Astarion in most setups.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
My sorcerer lockpicks everything just fine. You get a billion thieves tools just re-roll until you succeed.

This is pretty handy because I killed astarion for being a vampire dandy before I even knew if that would be viable.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-RPG-standards-swen-vincke-interview/

Larian founder responds to debate over Baldur's Gate 3 'raising the bar' for RPGs: 'this is videogames, standards just die every day'​

Baldur's Gate 3's success ignited an argument over whether it's a one-off anomaly or a new standard for the RPG genre.

Baldur's Gate 3 is an exceptional game: a grognardy CRPG with complex and barely-explained D&D rules and a massive mainstream success, even before its console releases. With Diablo 4's always-online grind providing the perfect contrast, it's come across to some as a victory over malignant modern videogame trends: Where other companies build cosmetics stores and battle passes, Larian Studios has succeeded through good old fashioned respect for player freedom, ambition, and quality craftwork, or so go some popular posts and articles.

A handful of game developers, meanwhile, have cautioned against oversimplifying the lesson, arguing that Baldur's Gate 3 is an anomaly that even big studios won't be able to replicate. Online arguing has ensued.

In an interview with PC Gamer earlier this week, Larian founder Swen Vincke weighed in on the debate, which he finds somewhat perplexing. It's a given that not any studio could make Baldur's Gate 3, he said, but he questions the importance of videogame "standards," which he says "die every day" as new ideas emerge and old one are reinvented.

Backing up to the start, this conversation coalesced in large part around a Twitter thread by game designer (and former PC Gamer contributor) Xalavier Nelson Jr, who sought to "gently, pre-emptively push back against players" who would use their excitement for Baldur's Gate 3 to "apply criticism or a 'raised standard' to RPGs going forward." His argument was that Baldur's Gate 3 isn't a schema that any RPG developer can work to, but the product of a particular developer taking a huge risk under a particular set of circumstances.

"In an era of megagames, Baldur's Gate 3 is one of the largest attempted, built by a specialized group of people using mature tech specially built to make *this specific game*, reinforced by invaluable mass player feedback AND market validation ahead of its launch," wrote Nelson. "This is not a new baseline for RPGs—this is an anomaly. Trying to do the same thing in the same way, especially without the same advantages, could kill an entire GROUP of studios."

Responding to the thread, Obsidian designer Josh Sawyer agreed that "the conditions under which BG3 was made are atypical," as did Diablo 4 senior designer Chris Balser, who said that "people too often only look at the fruits of labour and not the labour itself." On the flipside, a lot of gamers read these cautions against rising expectations as defensive. Why not expect more from RPGs after a developer has successfully pushed the genre's boundaries in a direction we like?

Asked about the debate, Vincke agreed that Baldur's Gate 3 could only have come about under certain circumstances—"obviously, yeah, if you're a 50 man studio or 10 man studio, you shouldn't try to make a game like BG3," he said—but he questioned the reality of the "standards" being argued over.

"The problem I have is with the use of the word 'standards,'" Vincke said. "This is videogames, standards just die every day. Things get reinvented. New things appear all the time. When I was starting out in the industry, Assassin's Creed set the new standard. It was over—nobody could make games like Assassin's Creed, there was too much budget behind it, that was going to be the future, everybody had to consolidate, blah blah blah. That didn't materialize. In videogames there's so much free space to explore, still, in the creative tree."

To the extent that standards do exist, Vincke found it "strange" that developers from larger studios would be concerned about boundary-pushing, pointing specifically to the new creative possibilities that technological advancements can enable. As for RPGs in particular, he noted that it doesn't take an enormous game like Baldur's Gate 3 to change the genre.

"Disco Elysium changed standards on the fly with a small team, right?" said Vincke. "That's a completely different standard now. There are so many games that change standards, to the point that there's no standards, was my thing. But I think you should always strive to evolve, especially in this medium which is different than other media in the sense that technological evolution has always been a big part of it. There's always been innovation, but at the same time, it doesn't require massive technological evolution to do something crazy, and cool, and different than what anybody else has done before."

The disagreements here may come down to mismatched premises. Audience expectations obviously evolve as games evolve, and any argument that gamers shouldn't want or expect high quality games is easy to reject. "I'm not saying that at all," said Nelson in a video follow-up to his Twitter thread. Rather, the designer meant that no amount of investment can guarantee a good, hit game, which made Baldur's Gate 3 a tremendous risk to develop, and attempts to replicate it under different circumstances very likely to fail. We have seen that kind of thing happen in the past, like when EA set a very successful developer, BioWare, on building an answer to Destiny 2, and it totally flopped.

But if the best aspects of Larian's approach do rub off on other RPG projects, even in small ways, I certainly won't be disappointed. And if studios with lots of money are going to invest it in big risky projects, I can think of worse things for them to fail at than intricate, systems-driven RPGs, especially if those RPGs store my save files on my damn PC instead of a server somewhere to keep me from bypassing a cosmetics shop—so I only follow the argument so far myself. Gamers aren't speaking as industry executives when they say that Baldur's Gate 3 raises the bar, just as people who'd like to see more of this kind of thing. I don't think anyone means that every future RPG ought to surpass Baldur's Gate 3's size and complexity.

The rallying cries that tend to rise to the top of social media do leave out a lot of reality, though. For one thing, I'm not sure the games industry has been proven wrong in any meaningful way here in the first place. People do like live service games—unless we pretend everyone who plays Destiny 2 is being manipulated by mind flayer tadpoles—and you don't even have to look away from the mainstream to find that big singleplayer RPGs never went away. Starfield releases next month! And when we do turn just one degree towards smaller publishers and developers, I can start naming excellent, non-live servicey games until I run out of breath, even if I stick to recent releases: Wartales, Tchia, Remnant 2, Dave the Diver, Amnesia: The Bunker…

Hell, ultra-nerdy CRPGs didn't even go away: If the success of Baldur's Gate 3 is just down to an old-school philosophy, then where's the 800,000 concurrents for the Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland games? So of course there's more to it than 'Larian just went and made a good game.' Vincke himself was afraid the launch would be a bust right up until it wasn't.

It also isn't true that Larian totally rejected modern trends: The tone of Baldur's Gate 3 is contemporary, reminiscent of the extremely popular Critical Role D&D streamers and other tabletop broadcasters (and to a lesser extent the recent D&D movie), it's indulgent with its sex and romance, and the technical quality of its graphics is a few bars higher than that of Larian's last big RPG, Divinity: Original Sin 2. That game was our 2017 Game of the Year, but not quite the mainstream hit that Baldur's Gate 3 has been, and I feel pretty confident in saying that the sexier, nuder companion rendering has had some part to play in that.

Not that I'm against sexy, nude RPG characters, but if you want to argue about that, allow me to direct you to my brave pals Fraser and Robin.

"Baldur's Gate 3 is an exceptional game: a grognardy CRPG with complex and barely-explained D&D rules and a massive mainstream success, even before its console releases. With Diablo 4's always-online grind providing the perfect contrast, it's come across to some as a victory over malignant modern videogame trends: Where other companies build cosmetics stores and battle passes, Larian Studios has succeeded through good old fashioned respect for player freedom, ambition, and quality craftwork, or so go some popular posts and articles."

Sven against the evils of this world. :love:

WitchDragonKnight.png

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are you lying dude?
The only thing I can tell with certainty is that I haven't been harassed by anyone, in 30 hours of gameplay and 3 times going to camp.
:lol: Actually, it does look a bit like you're trying to gaslight BrotherFrank.
I'm just saying that before offering a man a drink at a party in the game, he should consider how this looks if he does it to an IRL man. I wouldn't put the blame with Halsin for this misunderstaning

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Egirl has 14000+ viewers. Random male has 8.500+ viewers. So there are viewers. Some players have <30 viewers, probably theirs normal viewers are playing BG3 and don't want spoilers.
Yeah that's it. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with people not giving a shit about this game. You people really thought this thing was going to be the biggest RPG of the year, beating Starfield, D4, Zelda and the like.
BUx4.gif
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png
I can see people are still in denial. After all, despite skeptics and detractors, I believe this is an old-school rpg revival. And yes i am back.
Wow 13 reviews total. Amazing success. And you know those are all tranny/fag journos inflating the score.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree, amongst friends its common to buy rounds of drinks but I think he is talking about strangers but if I go to a bar by myself I dont like drinking shooters by myself. And I have often bought the barmen or another single guy a shooter. Its not sexual its just social and then often have a conversation or watch a sports game in the bar
IMO the Halsin situation is exactly that, you are just talking in a relaxed environment for the first time. You are not buddies yet. Anyway, I agree it's subjective. One of those things which would have been clear in PnP, but not in a videogame.

Self-Ejected
Egirl has 14000+ viewers. Random male has 8.500+ viewers. So there are viewers. Some players have <30 viewers, probably theirs normal viewers are playing BG3 and don't want spoilers.
Yeah that's it. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with people not giving a shit about this game. You people really thought this thing was going to be the biggest RPG of the year, beating Starfield, D4, Zelda and the like.
BUx4.gif
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png
I can see people are still in denial. After all, despite skeptics and detractors, I believe this is an old-school rpg revival. And yes i am back.
Wow 13 reviews total. Amazing success. And you know those are all tranny/fag journos inflating the score.
Screenshot_2023-08-10_171755.png

AwesomeButton

Patron
The ING retard reviewer is too dumb to review the game.

Guy that said "too many spells in the game"

afbeelding.png

What's with the she/thems reviewing this game? first Jade King and now this

View attachment 39865

Is this Larian's target audience?

She/they hates BG3 so far with "too many spells". Definitley not the audience.

Maybe she/they got upset with the drag/tranny being in a circus

BTW Swen I came here looking for that 9000 IQ take that the steam statistics are fake, because of achievements percentages.

As I thought back then, Steam needed some time to update the achievements stats. Just check the completion of achievements you recently had at "0.1%" :lol:

I can no longer find the post or the idiot who believes it.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
BUx4.gif
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png
afbeelding.png

COPE

SEETHE

DILATE

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BUx4.gif
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png
SDG at 'dex:

WOW I'M SUCH A CHAD AND YOU ARE ALL RETARDS

SDG at home:

MOM CLEAN MY TOILET IT'S CLUGGED AGAIN

ezgif-5-348c2c17fb.gif

(Yes, it's real SDG toilet, and yes, him mom really cleans his toilet)

BruceVC

Magister
Breaking news people, the impossible has happened!

A WOMAN made an advance on my pc, huge.

Wyll's devil guardian waifu

Not having a thief or someone who can open doors is a real pain in the arse imo. Whilst technically none are mandated for quest resolution as there are alternate ways to your objectives, a dedicated thief makes your life a whole lot easier. If there is some important loot then usually will be a key for it so consider chest opening to be optional but still nice.

Some people say they rely on knock spell to handle all their lockpicking needs so that could be a viable alternative if you are ok with your mage wasting his spells on that.

But yeah this is why you are likely to see Astarion in most setups.
Dont joke but I am glad there is potential Romance with Wylls patron, she is hot

Kiste

Augur
:lol: Actually, it does look a bit like you're trying to gaslight BrotherFrank.
I'm just saying that before offering a man a drink at a party in the game, he should consider how this looks if he does it to an IRL man. I wouldn't put the blame with Halsin for this misunderstaning
Frankie did feel sexually harrassed by the big bad druid guy and we have to accept it and take it seriously. It's 2023, we're supposed to always believe the bitch. So stop gaslighting Frankie.

Self-Ejected
BUx4.gif
Cope, seethe and dilate

swen.jpg

afbeelding.png
SDG at 'dex:

WOW I'M SUCH A CHAD AND YOU ARE ALL RETARDS

SDG at home:

MOM CLEAN MY TOILET IT'S CLUGGED AGAIN

ezgif-5-348c2c17fb.gif

(Yes, it's real SDG toilet, and yes, him mom really cleans his toilet)
That's clearly work of the absolute.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Given that feedback and looking up all the companions and their classes to see which ones I will want to have be the chosen 3, I am probably going to restart as a Dex focused fighter that has sleight of hand to be door and chest opener. I might also multiclass with warlock since I am not going to have any wizard/warlock types in my party.

I am a bit bummed that I have to design my character around the companions I want to have in my harem party rather than the other way around, but that is what you get with a 4 character party limit.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone find any successful multi classes?
Most 5E multiclass builds work to some degree.

Wizard multiclassing is pretty broken. Take 1 level in Wizard, then level another caster class (like Cleric) and use a magic item to bump your INT to 17. You will now have 4 or 5 Wizard spell slots and can cast any spell you learn from then on.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Given that feedback and looking up all the companions and their classes to see which ones I will want to have be the chosen 3, I am probably going to restarts as a Dex focused fighter
You can just respec. Explore the old church ruins near the beach to get the NPC that does it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom