Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Dragon Age Origins, on the other hand, while entertaining, had this obnoxious quality that came to infest the later Bioware RPGs: the dialogue was very often overly snarky, sarcastic and full of stupid quips.
Who asked?

The game has plenty of sarcastic options and the overall story is worse.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It is only me who thinks that this cult of the Absolute is a silly name for a cult? I cringe every time I hear it, especially when everybody and their mother seem to have a tadpole on the head. I mean, cult of the Red Hand, Black Moon, Cult of the Absolute sound like what a nerd ass GM would come up as a placeholder name because he couldnt bother finding a better one.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You guys act like these are holy texts and not just some parts of a fictional universe, which get changed all the time. It doesn't really matter whether it is a correct representation, it only matters if it sticks with the audience. And that's something you can only judge in hindsight, so give it 10 years to see whether the whole idea stuck around
View attachment 40003

Yeah, because deviations in the minutiae of mindflayer reproduction are equivalent to shoving a BMW into a fantasy setting.

:roll:
"Nothing matters, who cares, just have fun!" :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"It's okay to establish your main adversary 2/3s into the story"
Cope
Planescape does this in the last hour of the story and it works well.

It doesn't in BG3
That’s sad, a good writer can pull it off.

To wildly inaccurately paraphrase Mr. Plinkett, unless you're Lars von Trier or Chris Avellone, you should probably introduce your main villain early in the story

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You guys act like these are holy texts and not just some parts of a fictional universe, which get changed all the time. It doesn't really matter whether it is a correct representation, it only matters if it sticks with the audience. And that's something you can only judge in hindsight, so give it 10 years to see whether the whole idea stuck around
1691913342091-png.40003
2nd time someone used this in this thread and it works even worse here. I talk about how fictional universes aren't religious texts (though admittedly these are changed as well), you hold up a car card. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Nobody gives a crap about whether you like the changes Larian introduced, it really only matters if it works for the story overall
Missing my point, cuckboy.
Maybe you can articulate your point better without relying on 4chan memes, cuckboy

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
View attachment 40003

Yeah, because deviations in the minutiae of mindflayer reproduction are equivalent to shoving a BMW into a fantasy setting.

Absolutely the correct stance when it comes to entertainment

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
"It's okay to establish your main adversary 2/3s into the story"
Cope
Planescape does this in the last hour of the story and it works well.

It doesn't in BG3
That’s sad, a good writer can pull it off.

To wildly inaccurately paraphrase Mr. Plinkett, unless you're Lars von Trier or Chris Avellone, you should probably introduce your main villain early in the story
most stories don’t introduce the real villain until much later.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Imma say it: Dragon Age and Mass Effect had better writing and "muh reactivity" than this.

Mass Effect (the first one, and only the first one, fuck 2 and 3) I might agree with, because it was a well-written game, for the most part. Dragon Age Origins, on the other hand, while entertaining, had this obnoxious quality that came to infest the later Bioware RPGs: the dialogue was very often overly snarky, sarcastic and full of stupid quips.

BG3 isn't anywhere near as bad in that regard and I wish you tards would recognize this when you shit all over the supposedly "dogshit" writing in BG3.
They still have to come to terms with the fact BG3 is the best crpg ever made and is regarded as one of the best games of all time.

Their crying and seething here won't change that fact

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
View attachment 40003

"How would you feel if they added a car to BG3?"
"But there isn't a car in BG3!"

And here I was thinking blacks don't care for DnD.

Kiste

Augur
Yeah, it doesn't fucking matter, because, as others have repeatedly pointed out, Mindflayer lore is all over the place and has changed quite a bit over the decades and your insistence that it's shit because there is not an exact precedent for the Mindflayer stuff in BG3 is silly.

Vic

Savant
The game has plenty of sarcastic options and the overall story is worse.
That's a matter of personal taste, not fact. And no, the dialogues/party banter are not a fucking snarkfest like in DA:O. Not even close.
the story and world building are miles better. BG3 is too vanilla, like an Avengers movie. Except for the sex of course. The sex is creative :roll:

Vic

Savant
Imma say it: Dragon Age and Mass Effect had better writing and "muh reactivity" than this.

Mass Effect (the first one, and only the first one, fuck 2 and 3) I might agree with, because it was a well-written game, for the most part. Dragon Age Origins, on the other hand, while entertaining, had this obnoxious quality that came to infest the later Bioware RPGs: the dialogue was very often overly snarky, sarcastic and full of stupid quips.

BG3 isn't anywhere near as bad in that regard and I wish you tards would recognize this when you shit all over the supposedly "dogshit" writing in BG3.
They still have to come to terms with the fact BG3 is the best crpg ever made and is regarded as one of the best games of all time.

Their crying and seething here won't change that fact
BG3 is the best RPG we have seen in a long time but DA:O is better :smug:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
View attachment 40003

"How would you feel if they added a car to BG3?"
"But there isn't a car in BG3!"

And here I was thinking blacks don't care for DnD.
False equivalency in full throttle. Changing how mind flayers work to make a better story isn't the same as shoving a completely out-of-context object into a setting.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Game falls apart by the end - Exactly as I predicted.
Game is pozzed, albeit not frontloaded with it - As I predicted
Game has shit writing - As I predicted
Cuck Squad immediately assembles to cope and seethe - Exactly as happened with Wrath

:martini:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Individualized =/= "Same guy as before but in a new body"
This isn't rocket science guys
The notion of mind flayers reproducing by transforming a host body seems to have been introduced by a book called The Illithiad, which was published in 1998 and therefore after the demise of TSR. Before then, mind flayers merely spawned tadpoles which grew up into adult mind flayers. A mind flayer from a book published in 1991 couldn't be the "Same guy as before but in a new body", since the concept didn't exist until 1998, but the idea of good, or at least neutral, independent mind flayers did exist.
I would agree with you if it wasnt the case that 9 times out of 10 when some writer is going to break lore is because he is preparing to dump a massive shit dump on your head and mess everything for no good reason despite his own ego. If some writer actually respects the lore and actually work with it in creative ways, that is a good because you know he is actually interested in learning about what the audience like on that story.

It is a canary on the coal mine, if I hear the writers are going to take a dump on the lore, I know that shit is incoming, never failed.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Fedora is going full edgelord and no-lifer spoiling the game and shit, so I'm out.

And Fedora: fuck you, bro. You're a fucking piece of shit with all your pics and all the shit everywhere.
I've spoiled nothing, but Im still glad you're upset you little shill bitch.

Gradenmayer

Learned
You mean 2 games where only role play options were “be goody two shoes” or “be a psychopath”?
Same options you get in this game. Your point?
Sure. Just for the grove you have:
1) Let druids Finish ritual of thorns, locking them out
2) Steal idol, preventing the ritual
3) Return Halsin, so he stops the ritual
4) Kill all goblins, removing the need for ritual
5) Expose the bitch Druid to be working with shadow druids, turning everyone againts her idea and kill the shadow Druids, with variants of:
5.1) convince bitch to side with you
5.2) kill bitch along the other shadow Druids
6) side with goblins, without stealing idol, locking grove out and killing tiefling
7) side with goblins after stealing idol and kill everyone
8) kill everyone
And probably some other method I don’t know about.

Comparing this to 2 choices nu-BioWare games offer is retarded.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You mean 2 games where only role play options were “be goody two shoes” or “be a psychopath”?
Same options you get in this game. Your point?
Sure. Just for the grove you have:
1) Let druids Finish ritual of thorns, locking them out
2) Steal idol, preventing the ritual
3) Return Halsin, so he stops the ritual
4) Kill all goblins, removing the need for ritual
5) Expose the bitch Druid to be working with shadow druids, turning everyone againts her idea and kill the shadow Druids, with variants of:
5.1) convince bitch to side with you
5.2) kill bitch along the other shadow Druids
6) side with goblins, without stealing idol, locking grove out and killing tiefling
7) side with goblins after stealing idol and kill everyone
8) kill everyone
And probably some other method I don’t know about.

Comparing this to 2 choices nu-BioWare games offer is retarded.
I wasn't referring to Quests, I was referring to dialogue options, but nice try.
Do any of those options alter the later story beats? Of course not.

Kiste

Augur
Calling the "world building" of a game set in am existing decades old setting "vanilla".
Game falls apart by the end - Exactly as I predicted.
Game is pozzed, albeit not frontloaded with it - As I predicted
Game has shit writing - As I predicted
Cuck Squad immediately assembles to cope and seethe - Exactly as happened with Wrath
Let me translate that from retard speak to English:

- I personally dislike the end of the game
- It does not comport with my edgy 4chan alt-right i-hate-niggers ideology
- I pretend that constantly spamming "shit writing" qualifies as objective criticism
- Everyone who disagrees with me is a cuck (wow, what a creative insult)

Good grief, grow up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom