Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Individualized =/= "Same guy as before but in a new body"
This isn't rocket science guys

Takamori

Learned
Yeah Sarevok fight was a bummer for me. You need to be really brain dead retarded to fail it and even if you manage somehow to trigger it, you can brute force it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yep, as expected, the city is a hive of pozz. Then again, that's what they want DnD to be like now.
I do admit the Steel Watcher recounting everything those Eyeballs saw you do was a nice touch.
so they have orgies on main plaza like ed wanted?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.jpg

This is getting more retarded by the minute.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
It's also part of the reason I could never take any of the redditoids here seriously when they bawled about BG3's intro being too epic and wanting it to start in an inn or a small town.

Lol, look at this chutzpah.
Calling people redditors because some might think this overbloated Michael Bay on adderall intro might be a bit too much.

- Let's say I'm playing as Gale. I fucked a goddess and I have a netheril nuke up my bum. I used to be a super powerful mage.
- I'm on a crashing illithid space ship.
- In motherfucking HELL!
- While chased by githyanki on dragons.
- I have a tadpole in my brain, but soon it will be clear it's not a boring old tadpole!
- I fall down from a ship but I'm saved by a mysterious force. Some dream waifu posing as some guardian of galaxy BS.

This isn't fantasy. This is some headache-inducing capeshit.

Just visit a farm, you stupid assholes.

Or maybe you should watch a marvel movie? Specifically designed for overstimulated zoomer redditors.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The notion of mind flayers reproducing by transforming a host body seems to have been introduced by a book called The Illithiad, which was published in 1998 and therefore after the demise of TSR. Before then, mind flayers merely spawned tadpoles which grew up into adult mind flayers. A mind flayer from a book published in 1991 couldn't be the "Same guy as before but in a new body", since the concept didn't exist until 1998, but the idea of good, or at least neutral, independent mind flayers did exist.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The notion of mind flayers reproducing by transforming a host body seems to have been introduced by a book called The Illithiad, which was published in 1998 and therefore after the demise of TSR. Before then, mind flayers merely spawned tadpoles which grew up into adult mind flayers. A mind flayer from a book published in 1991 couldn't be the "Same guy as before but in a new body", since the concept didn't exist until 1998, but the idea of good, or at least neutral, independent mind flayers did exist.
You guys act like these are holy texts and not just some parts of a fictional universe, which get changed all the time. It doesn't really matter whether it is a correct representation, it only matters if it sticks with the audience. And that's something you can only judge in hindsight, so give it 10 years to see whether the whole idea stuck around

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You guys act like these are holy texts and not just some parts of a fictional universe, which get changed all the time. It doesn't really matter whether it is a correct representation, it only matters if it sticks with the audience. And that's something you can only judge in hindsight, so give it 10 years to see whether the whole idea stuck around
1691913342091.png

Herumor

Scholar
I can accept a renegade mindflayer if he still acts like a mindflayer but the renegade mindflayer in BG3 disguises himself and takes down criminals like he's Batman or some shit. Oh and also he has a hot Duke GF before he starts rizzing up the player. :roll:
I mean, he hunted criminals because they were a reliable source of food for him, and chances are people wouldn't really miss them once he dealt with them. I honestly don't see himself concerned with the actual morality, so much as being pragmatic about it.

As for Duke Stelmane, she was a convenient ally for him due to her having suffered in some previous battle with another mind flayer and Emperor's presence was actually helping her improve her condition. She relied on him to even get up from bed. You can find a note on that in one area past his lair at Elfsong Tavern.

Also, I feel like too many people are taking the Emperor's words as the sole truth and nothing but the truth. I think it's fair to say the fucker is manipulating people, you can see his disdain for non-illithids in the ending where you become one yourself and he only reveals that because there's no way back for you and you're one of his kind now.
"It's okay to establish your main adversary 2/3s into the story"
Cope
"Who is Orin?"
"No idea!"
This is actual for-real in the game.

Cope harder.
How would you have gone about this? I personally detest infodumps via convenient all-knowledgeable NPCs. You learn stuff about Ketheric Thorm and Gortash appropriately, but Orin does come out of nowhere because who the fuck even knew Sarevok was back, let alone actually had a daughter?
View attachment 40002

This is getting more retarded by the minute.
My complaint with Valeria is that he's supposed to be a detective or whatever, but doesn't even bother to use a simple Speak with Dead spell that could easily tell him everything.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
1691913342091-png.40003
2nd time someone used this in this thread and it works even worse here. I talk about how fictional universes aren't religious texts (though admittedly these are changed as well), you hold up a car card. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Nobody gives a crap about whether you like the changes Larian introduced, it really only matters if it works for the story overall

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1691913342091-png.40003
2nd time someone used this in this thread and it works even worse here. I talk about how fictional universes aren't religious texts (though admittedly these are changed as well), you hold up a car card. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Nobody gives a crap about whether you like the changes Larian introduced, it really only matters if it works for the story overall
Missing my point, cuckboy.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't get the hate on the forum to Avellone.
You must be new here.

:mca:

There's a few stupid hand holding things the game does.

For example, if you kill Lae'zel on sight when you first meet her, her corpse literally follows you from map to map, like the game is expecting you to rez her.

No, fuck that idiot frog. I've seen her entire storyline and it is garbage.
I chose the option to have the tieflings lower the cage and killed githyanki girl, but didn't experience such a bug from that. Or did you mean that you killed her in the prologue and it somehow caused her corpse to appear in camp later? Which would be hilarious.:M
I am! That's why I wonder :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a game you can study level design from, I say this with full confidence.

What greatly contributes to the feeling of playing an unscripted adventure, and of "shaping the story", is that it's made possible to discover seemingly very important locations and characters in the order in which you decide. It's a freedom, or a well-crafted illusion of freedom, that personally I first encountered in Fallout (and I played Fallout for the first time after I had played BG2).

As an example, here is how I found Grimforge:
Entering the Underdark through the temple, I saw the minotaur attacking the main gate, and decided not to use that path. Instead, I exited through the hole in the side of the wall of Selune's outpost.

As I descended further down, I came by the Arcane tower, and explored it fully. Then on my way back from this detour, I saw a broken path towards what looked like a village on the shore of the underground river. I jumped accross the collapsed part of the path and snuck into the Decrepit village.

My characters were first to notice the Duergar laying in ambush. I positioned my party advantageously and opened the battle by pushing one of the Duergar down from a high ledge, and the fall took half his health.

I disposed of the Duergar which I deemed were a slaver party out of some settlement of theirs. After looting them I looked around the village, and found their boat. Although I had two paths I could take, I decided to go on the boat, out of the sheer feeling that it's the more "adventureous" thing to do.

Then a scripted scene followed with another Duergar boat that caught up with me. I managed to deceive their leader that the original owner of that boat was dead, and that I'm a True Soul. The dialogue was scripted in such a way that the Duergar falsely believed I'm with the Absolute, and directed me to Grymforge.

I don't know if that's even the only way to reach Grymforge, or there are multiple others. But even if it's the only way, the fact remains that this is one of the multiple ways to find that only way, and the player gets to write the story of how he found it very much on his own. In designing areas Larian have been following a strict rule that for every goal there should be more than one path. This is a design principle observed from the moment the tutorial ends.

Contrast this with the classic trope of talking to a questgiver, who "marks on your map" where you have to go. You know where and you know what, from the moment you get the quest. It's sad that developers and designers have bowed their heads to this degenerate paradigm, believing this makes their games more "accessible".

Kiste

Augur
View attachment 40003

Yeah, because deviations in the minutiae of mindflayer reproduction are equivalent to shoving a BMW into a fantasy setting.

:roll:

Zayne

Scholar
I don't know if that's even the only way to reach Grymforge, or there are multiple others. But even if it's the only way, the fact remains that this is one of the multiple ways to find that only way, and the player gets to write the story of how he found it very much on his own. In designing areas Larian have been following a strict rule that for every goal there should be more than one path. This is a design principle observed from the moment the tutorial ends.
The other way to reach Grymforge is probably through Shadowcursed lands.

But in terms of reactivity you can ally yourself with slaver duergar and he'll say "okay, you can take my boat and go to Grymforge". Or you can fail persuasion checks with other boat and get yourself a boarding party.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Imma say it: Dragon Age and Mass Effect had better writing and "muh reactivity" than this.
considering that BioWare created their own setting and Larian is using an already established setting. The writing is really nothing special in BG3 but still much better than the cringe in DOS2.

Where all the good video game writers at? I even take a Kirkbride at this point.

Kiste

Augur
Imma say it: Dragon Age and Mass Effect had better writing and "muh reactivity" than this.

Mass Effect (the first one, and only the first one, fuck 2 and 3) I might agree with, because it was a well-written game, for the most part. Dragon Age Origins, on the other hand, while entertaining, had this obnoxious quality that came to infest the later Bioware RPGs: the dialogue was very often overly snarky, sarcastic and full of stupid quips.

BG3 isn't anywhere near as bad in that regard and I wish you tards would recognize this when you shit all over the supposedly "dogshit" writing in BG3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom