Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once you raise the ancient forge, you can't go down again? I only got the armour.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's also part of the reason I could never take any of the redditoids here seriously when they bawled about BG3's intro being too epic and wanting it to start in an inn or a small town. Seriously? Did you niggers actually like NWN2's boring ass opening? And to think there are people who complain about the starter dungeon in BG2. Just visit a farm, you stupid assholes.
I still think they should have started the game with 1 or 2 levels with some kind of low-level dungeon/adventure. Then when you head back to Baldur's Gate you get taken away. It would have been a chance to get to know your own character a bit, maybe even a companion. And it would have avoided the level 1 archmage.

In all honesty, compared to what comes in Act 2 or 3, I found the wood stalking, gnoll killing, spider cave clearing and goblin hunting in the first act to be quite passing for that "low level adventure feel". Also the first dungeon in game, Overgrown Ruins, is pretty much that. Some traps, sarcophagus and skellies. Basic stuff.
As soon as you enter the Underdark, there is a notable spike in difficulty and otherworldy weirdness, as it should be.
Sure, but I just feel order is wrong. I want to start in a tavern like Solasta :)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, none pf the weapons seem worth it. I'll go with the defensive gear.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Took me 37 hours to reach act 2. But I'm a grognard, and looked in every nook and cranny for stuff.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
It's also part of the reason I could never take any of the redditoids here seriously when they bawled about BG3's intro being too epic and wanting it to start in an inn or a small town. Seriously? Did you niggers actually like NWN2's boring ass opening? And to think there are people who complain about the starter dungeon in BG2. Just visit a farm, you stupid assholes.
I still think they should have started the game with 1 or 2 levels with some kind of low-level dungeon/adventure. Then when you head back to Baldur's Gate you get taken away. It would have been a chance to get to know your own character a bit, maybe even a companion. And it would have avoided the level 1 archmage.

In all honesty, compared to what comes in Act 2 or 3, I found the wood stalking, gnoll killing, spider cave clearing and goblin hunting in the first act to be quite passing for that "low level adventure feel". Also the first dungeon in game, Overgrown Ruins, is pretty much that. Some traps, sarcophagus and skellies. Basic stuff.
As soon as you enter the Underdark, there is a notable spike in difficulty and otherworldy weirdness, as it should be.
Sure, but I just feel order is wrong. I want to start in a tavern like Solasta :)

Fair. It has a nice cozy feel to it. I got some of that vibe in act 2. At the end, I think Larian did the right choice business wise to make an epic and over the top spelljammer dragon hunting hell diving entrance to the game, so you know what's in store for you later on. Tutorial is finished in about 15-20 minutes and then you're off to kill 10 hp wood critters while wearing AC 11 leather armor. As god intended.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Took me 37 hours to reach act 2. But I'm a grognard, and looked in every nook and cranny for stuff.

I wonder what the average level players are when they get there. What level are you? I was around 7 or 8 maybe?

I'm curious how Larian constructed their combat difficulty. Underdark was basically an optional area instead of a branch, so players who went through the mountain pass might have less exp.

Also I didn't see any new class features (?) for level 12 if you're doing a pure build. So at 12 there's no reason to not multi-class, especially for those juicy lev 1 features.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm level 7. I'm tempted to go 8 monk, 4 druid.

I wonder if they programmed it so you can do the monk's kungfu moves while wildshaped. That would actually be really hilarious and mechanically interesting.

Especially the four elements monk.

-Bear uses flaming fists and then wire flies away-

MerchantKing

Learned
In light of this uptick in elf love, should probably revive the female elf appreciation thread.

Elite_Beat_Eldar_Divas_by_IronShrineMaiden.jpg

Half elves gotta come from somewhere after all.

tenor.gif
Did you know where half-ogres come from?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Early Act 3:
My god, this story is retarded beyond words.
More detail please, objective analysis is always helpful

Stilll stuck in act 1 :negative:
None of the plot points respect Mindflayer lore whatsoever. They completely failed to understand what Illithids are and how they work.
Can you please elaborate? I already finished the game, so you don't have to worry about spoiling anything.
Mindflayers are not individuals. Not in any real sense. They can't just "break free" all of a sudden, regardless of what their host organism might have felt. They utterly replace the personality of the host. There are some outliers that do things forbidden in their society, like studying magic, but ultimately they are all controlled by the Elder Brain. The Emperor could not possibly exist. Any sign of retained memories from the host is abominable to an Illithid and they go so far as to operate on their own brains to expunge them. Certainly no random low level Illithid can just up and "leave" his colony, to say nothing of running around Baldur's Gate.

Orpheus is also clearly an invention of Larian. The name alone is retarded.

Looks like a lot of this idiocy came from Volos Guide for 5E, which is hardly surprising. I guess even Illithids can't be Always Evil anymore.
None of this is true.

The mind flayers have a whole legend built around one of their own kind who retained all the memory and personality of his original self, they call it the Adversary. The Adversary was first described (and then detailed) in the second edition, and he's no mere legend, he actually exists. Book of Exalted Deeds from 3.5 also details a good mind flayer, who survives thanks to the Ring of Sustenance.
There's plenty of "normal" mind flayers who break away from the elder brains too - every alhoon (illithid lich) needs to break away first, because there's no way an elder brain would allow it to exist.
Except the Emperor isn't the Adversary, Book of Exalted Deeds is retarded and Alhoons are still doing Mind Flayer things and have no interest in working against their own kind. Cope.

Gargaune

Arcane
I like the expositions for IWD2 and PFKM best, the archetypal sellswords plying their trade and getting swept up in much bigger events that gradually reveal themselves. But you can't do that anymore, modern audiences need their Marvel BOOM-BOOM in the first five minutes or their lose interest and start poking their iPhones. So I can't fault Larian too much for going this route, even though it's decline all the same.

I finally spent a couple of hours with the game today. I'm enjoying the content when the interfaces don't make me wanna pull my hair out, which is often. But it was the same when I played the EA, will have to see how I get on. Maybe if I take it slow and keep some hard liquor on hand.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm honestly not sure I even want to continue Act 3 with how idiotic the game becomes. Doesn't help that the Chosen are all Literal Who's with no proper setup or introduction 30 hours in.

I mean, fuck me, the game even goes "Who is Orin? Dunno, lol!"

Sunri

Liturgist
I'm honestly not sure I even want to continue Act 3 with how idiotic the game becomes. Doesn't help that the Chosen are all Literal Who's with no proper setup or introduction 30 hours in.

I mean, fuck me, the game even goes "Who is Orin? Dunno, lol!"

They turned Sarevok into a fucking chump to make Orin cooler wtf

Reinhardt

Arcane
what is this bg3 thingy you all talking? today is the last day of nerofest so double fox setup go brrrrrrr...:negative:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Yeah but I was talking about The Adversary.
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

Anyway, the point I think the other poster was making about Alhoons was that mindflayers can and do break free of elder brains. That much is 2E lore.
Renegade mind flayers are a thing in 5E

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Boring waste of time. Just like NWN2's pointless village festival.

You're not going to "get to know" your character. You made your character. They are what they are.

"I sure wish we could have spent more time in Candlekeep, killing rats so that we can get to know our character!"

No.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yeah but I was talking about The Adversary.
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

Anyway, the point I think the other poster was making about Alhoons was that mindflayers can and do break free of elder brains. That much is 2E lore.
Renegade mind flayers are a thing in 5E
5E is garbage, we established that.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I can accept a renegade mindflayer if he still acts like a mindflayer but the renegade mindflayer in BG3 disguises himself and takes down criminals like he's Batman or some shit. Oh and also he has a hot Duke GF before he starts rizzing up the player. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom