Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still absolutely despise everything about the narrator
I don't get that criticism. Seems perfectly fine to me. Or is it because it's a femoid voice?
The main thing is that she constantly tells me what my character is feeling about everything he encounters. But I don't like the voice either, and she speaks really slowly. It's also her unfortunate duty to narrate the tadpole scenes, which are terribly written. Some of the language used when describing how the tadpole feels inside the noggin is straight out of fifty shades of grey.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't get that criticism. Seems perfectly fine to me. Or is it because it's a femoid voice?
The main thing is that she constantly tells me what my character is feeling about everything he encounters. But I don't like the voice either, and she speaks really slowly. It's also her unfortunate duty to narrate the tadpole scenes, which are terribly written. Some of the language used when describing how the tadpole feels inside the noggin is straight out of fifty shades of grey.
I mean, this is obviously intentional, she's a perfect example of an unreliable narrator trying to influence unwary or plain naive players

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

For me, I hate that she's telling me what I feel.

I decide what I or my character feels.
I'm doing an evil genocide run now.

Narrator: And you feel bad about this.

No I don't bitch.

Best part is when she tells you "You stare ..." while your PC is looking around like the fucking eye of Sauron in the cutscene.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Despite being unfinished act 3 has some really good content, but it would've been much better if the mindflayer plot was more in the backdrop. Tadpole-less dark urge should've been the default character and tadpole-man should've been the origin character instead. The dark urge content is vastly more interesting and relevant (and far less pointlessly gross), than the mindflayer magical realm shit.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
But by that token, it'd probably be bad form for a DM to tell the player how their character feels too.

Being both a player and GM in a lot of Call of Cthulhu PnP, it's a slippery slope.
Noted, in that game it makes more sense telling your players they're gonna go fucking crazy at the sight of certain stuff.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
But by that token, it'd probably be bad form for a DM to tell the player how their character feels too.

Being both a player and GM in a lot of Call of Cthulhu PnP, it's a slippery slope.
Noted, in that game it makes more sense you tell your players they're gonna go fucking crazy at the sight of certain stuff.

You're doing it wrong then. You don't tell the players what they're feeling or that they're going crazy. You have to describe the scenes in detail combined with the perfect cadence, pitch, and vocal control to elicit the reaction you want from your players. Having the room set up correctly is key.

That's why I had a long waiting list for my CoC campaigns. People loved it when I scared the shit out of them or made them experience what their characters were.

This is genuine advice for you from a 40 year veteran as a GM.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Noted, in that game it makes more sense you tell your players they're gonna go fucking crazy at the sight of certain stuff.
Yeah, there's an actual mechanic for it. Makes more sense, I guess. And if there were something similar here, or even if it were just reserved for horror, like in the mindflayer colony, I might be more accepting of it.

But it's used everywhere, and even for player actions. And we already know that the player and others can supposedly find mindflayers attractive. So why assume any feeling from the player, when clearly they could be freaking nuts for all the narrator knows.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, there's an actual mechanic for it. Makes more sense, I guess. And if there were something similar here, or even if it were just reserved for horror, like in the mindflayer colony, I might be more accepting of it.

But it's used everywhere, and even for player actions. And we already know that the player and others can supposedly find mindflayers attractive. So why assume any feeling from the player, when clearly they could be freaking nuts for all the narrator knows.

Bud could you please copy and post what I said to him because he has me ignored. I truly want him to be a better GM.

I'd also add that you describe what the character sees/hears/smells/tastes/touches in detail so the player makes the connection between their character and themselves. It has to be visceral for it to work and that takes practice.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/6199820457241590774
Hotfix #3 Now Live!
Version Number: v4.1.1.3636828

Hello everyone,

We’ve got another hotfix for you today, fixing over 200 bugs, issues and more. Dogs: man’s best friend, but remarkably high maintenance. In this update, we’ve let Scratch off the leash a little bit, and he’ll sniff out digging spots by himself! Make sure you give him a pet for every bit of treasure he uncovers, you heartless monsters.

Also, we’ve decided to make the Blue Behir Dice permanently available to all players. Some lucky players may have gotten hold of it early, but we’ll just… roll with it.

As ever, thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3 and reporting these issues! Behind the frontlines, our team would like to thank you for how much information you’re providing in your bug reports, it’s enabling us to get these hotfixes ready very quickly. Continue to be thorough, we appreciate it. Please reach out to our support team if you run into trouble.

CRASHES AND BLOCKERS
  • Fixed an issue with spell slots that would prevent you from levelling up while multiclassing.
  • Fixed an edge case issue preventing you from initiating a Long Rest.
  • Fixed a cross-save issue causing you to get stuck syncing indefinitely, which prevented saving and loading.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when selecting a summon without a hotbar while a deck in the hotbar was maximised.

MULTIPLAYER
  • Fixed the Hireling UI from being split in half on each monitor in splitscreen.
  • Fixed some visual artefacts appearing on split-screen when using Vulkan.
  • Wyll now correctly recognises and confronts Karlach when you speak to him with a Karlach avatar after another avatar has already spoken to him.

COMBAT
  • Fixed

reacting strangely to Wild Shaped characters in combat.
  • The guards in the Counting House will now continue pursuing you through the vault room.
  • Fixed the camera not working correctly in

• Fixed a bug that would let you use the Hide action outside of your turn in combat.
  • Increased Isobel's AC to restore the intended balance.
  • Increased Glitterbeard's HP and Dexterity and gave him the Shield spell.
  • If you deal damage to

, they will now lose their Unstoppable condition.

• Added the NPCs in the drider's convoy to the same combat group.
  • Fixed

spawn on top of an explosive mine.
  • Fixed an issue where gnolls took too much time to react during the start of their turn after their pack leader attacked them.

CHARACTER CREATION
  • Fixed mismatches between colours in Character Creation and in game, mainly affecting horns.

AUDIO
  • When things go south in Crèche Y'llek, the music now goes from mellow to metal.

GAMEPLAY
  • Fixed an issue preventing you from talking to Withers in Act 3.
  • Companions can now also trigger various tutorial pop-ups.
  • Scratch can now find digging spots by himself.
  • Fixed a hatch in the Emerald Grove not unlocking after a successful check.
  • The Devil's in the Details achievement can now be achieved by all party members, including followers.
  • Fixed an issue with crimes that meant you wouldn't get caught committing a crime if another party member had already committed a more severe crime and resolved it peacefully.
  • You now consistently get the Bloodless condition the morning after Astarion bites you.
  • Fixed a bug allowing you to spam party members' voiced lines near the log where you can recruit Karlach.
  • Wyll no longer says you should find and slay Karlach after you've recruited her.
  • If Jatlo is still disguised after the shadow curse has been lifted, he will now drop his disguise when attacked.
  • Made sure Youth Vis'kiir looks like he's cleaning before you talk to him in Crèche Y'llek.
  • Fixed the hatchery and infirmary map markers in Crèche Y'llek.

• will no longer permanently leave the party if

• Fixed a bug preventing you from using the

• Removed ownership from the portraits of Lohse and Sebille so that taking them is not a crime.
  • Increased the bounds of the Inquisitor's room in Crèche Y'llek so that the game doesn't think you've left if you enter one of the side rooms.
  • When playing as Shadowheart, telling Astarion about your affiliation with Shar now affects his approval rating.
  • Astarion will now be better at remembering whether you've seen his back.
  • You can no longer loot the items belonging to the Inquisitor in Crèche Y'llek without consequence.
  • Fixed the range indicators on the orthon's quickly ticking mines.
  • The dialogue that follows combat with

will now trigger correctly even if you

during combat.

• is no longer invisible

• Fixed the explosion VFX for the toy chest in the barn in Wyrm's Crossing.
  • Added a proper name to a note in Sharess' Caress.

• will now resurrect with full health instead of 0 HP, and you can now reach

• Interacting with certain rune slates on the nautiloid now correctly triggers the narrator's line.
  • Fixed the alarm in

going off when it shouldn't.

• will now react to Wild Shaped characters in

• Added a world label to

• Removed duplicated furniture in the Elfsong Tavern.
  • Made a door in the Elfsong Tavern indestructible.
  • Fixed edge cases where characters would not correctly attach to the game grid, causing knock-on issues.

JOURNAL
  • Fixed the journal not updating after you meet the pale individuals at Fraygo's Flophouse.
  • The journal now updates correctly for the Rescue the Trapped Man quest.
  • Dame Guisarme now reacts more accurately to your progress in the Investigate the Murders quest.
  • Fixed an inaccurate line in the Help the Hag Survivors quest.
  • Fixed a misleading journal update in the Find the Mushroom Picker quest.
  • Updated Wyll's map marker to make a quest objective more precise.
  • Made it easier to resolve the Wake Up Art Cullagh quest if you follow up with Art.
  • Fixed a confusing map marker and added an extra step for clarity in the Find the Nightsong quest.
  • Improved the journal entry flow for the Solve the Open Hand Temple Murders quest.
  • Fixed

quest not completing if you

FLOW AND SCRIPTING
  • Fixed Shadowheart's dialogue on the

playing twice when playing as Avatar Lae'zel.
  • Removed a dialogue option that's no longer relevant when talking to Karlach.
  • Made sure you get Astarion's

scene at camp if you discover his secret through other means.
  • Fixed Astarion mentioning things that haven't happened yet if you romance him early on.
  • Fixed Avatar Gale's hunger not progressing if doesn't meet Tara before leaving the nautiloid crash site.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Brakkal from triggering the correct dialogue when he's being released if his goblin guards left with Minthara for the raid.
  • Minthara now reacts more appropriately if you kill all the tieflings.
  • Removed unnecessary VFX in a dialogue with Raphael at Last Light.
  • Fixed Glut saying the wrong line when he reanimates a spore servant.
  • Made the dialogue options with Therezzyn more relevant if you've already been to the hatchery.
  • Fixed a bug causing the wrong dialogue to play when speaking to the

if you haven't met him before.
  • Fixed the same dialogue option appearing twice when interacting with the Mirror of Loss.
  • Kled will now play the correct dialogues in Old Garlow's Place.
  • Made sure Lakrissa and Alfira don't appear in the Elfsong Tavern if you didn't save them.
  • Fixed a line about

appearing in a dialogue at camp if you haven't met him yet.
  • You can no longer ask

on two separate occasions.
  • Fixed some wrong lines playing when you reach a late stage of the game.
  • Fixed Toobin thinking you have a runepowder bomb when you don't.
  • Mizora no longer disappears from the game after

• , she will now be back at camp instead of disappearing.

• no longer talks about his father as if he's not there anymore if his father was saved.
  • Fixed Havkelaag accepting the gith egg via dialogue when he doesn't have enough gold for it, and made it impossible to pickpocket back if you sold it to him.
  • Korrilla is now better at recognising how you responded to Raphael's deal.
  • Swapped two couples in the Elfsong Tavern so that they sit at the right tables.
  • Fixed

even if the conditions weren't met, which could cause other issues with

• Fixed Jaheira not returning to her human form once she leaves your party.
  • If

bats are too far from the player to join combat, they will now join anyway.
  • Fixed the dialogue skill checks if you die in combat with

• Fixed the AI taking control of Lae'zel and kicking you out of a multiplayer game, with Lae'zel becoming hostile towards the remaining player

• Improved Halsin's reactivity to whether or not you've been to

• Fixed some incorrect options showing up in dialogue with Halsin about a particular drow couple.
  • Fixed

assuming you ate a particular morsel, even if you didn't.
  • Fixed a blocker preventing

, and other issues related to her appearing in the wrong place or not appearing at all.

UI
  • Made Blue Behir Dice permanently available on all platforms with just the base game.
  • Fixed the UI seemingly disappearing because the game thinks a character is still in a dialogue, which could happen when going into a dialogue in the middle of combat.
  • Fixed the Attack button disappearing from the dialogue UI after loading a savegame made during a dialogue.

CINEMATICS
  • Made sure that you get a certain dialogue with Voss at camp.
  • Fixed a repeating dialogue when talking to Gale while Wild Shaped.
  • Fixed Astarion repeating information about his master if you speak to him twice in a row.
  • Fixed Astarion oversharing about his master a little too early.
  • Fixed a leg twitch in a conversation between Shadowheart and a certain dame.
  • Moved the Dark Urge to a different pod on the nautiloid to prevent the wrong dialogue from playing.
  • Fixed Astarion's knife not being held against dragonborn throats correctly during his recruitment dialogue at the beach.
  • Made general improvements to a dialogue at camp with Astarion.
  • Added a missing animation for Karlach in Astarion's recruitment dialogue.
  • Gale's head now rests correctly on his bedroll pillow.
  • Cleaned up pops and mocap issues in the dialogue where Gale teaches you a spell.
  • Fixed Gale's arms clipping with his thigh.
  • Fixed where characters are looking and facing in the dialogue where Gale reveals his history.
  • Fixed Wyll's head jitters and strange turns during his recruitment dialogue.
  • Made general improvements to cameras, facial reactions, and movements in a dialogue at camp with Wyll.
  • Cleaned up the mocap in the scene where Lae'zel is suspended in a cage.
  • Tall characters' hands no longer clip with their face when interacting with Karlach in a romantic moment.
  • Adjusted Edowin's pose in the dialogue with him and his siblings in the forest.
  • Fixed a corpse in the Goblin Camp from standing back up when you use Speak with Dead on it.
  • Tweaked the cameras and facial expressions in the dialogue with Halsin during the celebration at camp.
  • Fixed clipping with a statue in a camp dialogue at night with Gale.
  • Fixed animation issues if you turn down Gale in the dialogue where he teaches you a spell.
  • Adjusted some hand positions when interacting with the console on the nautiloid.
  • Shadowheart is now sitting in a better pose when fiddling with her mysterious artefact during her camp scene.
  • Fixed emotions and facial expressions in dialogues with Shadowheart, Omotola, and Minthara.
  • Fixed a camera shot when talking to the mind flayer on the beach.
  • Fixed an irrelevant line playing in a camp dialogue with Shadowheart.
  • Fixed dragonborn players turning in the wrong direction after Astarion's bitey scene at camp.
  • Fixed Roland and Lia looking in the wrong direction in their dialogue in the Emerald Grove.
  • Fixed a camera issue in a dialogue with Silfy in the Emerald Grove.
  • Fixed characters' legs clipping into the ground when looking through the telescope in the Emerald Grove.
  • Fixed some mocap-related pops in a dialogue with Cerys in the Emerald Grove.
  • Fixed a pop for one of the ogres in the Blighted Village.
  • Fixed some camera issues and removed a ring from the background in the dialogue where Crusher asks you to kiss his foot.
  • Improved facial expressions, camera shots and other issues in Shadowheart's recruitment dialogue at the Goblin Camp.
  • Fixed a twisting forearm in a dialogue between Lae'zel and Voss at camp.
  • Fixed characters clipping into each other when they're feeling ill at camp.
  • Characters now appear correctly in the dialogue with the bugbear in the forest. The ogre's weapon is also now hidden.
  • Fixed the camera clipping into the ground when speaking with your Dream Visitor at camp.
  • Cleaned up the animations when Sceleritas Fel tells the Dark Urge to commit a certain misdeed.
  • Fixed halflings' thumbs clipping through the Soul Coin when speaking to Nadira.
  • Made general improvements to cameras, facial expressions, and animations for a romance dialogue with Wyll.
  • Fixed some camera issues in the dialogue with Oskar in the Zhent hideout.
  • Lae'zel is no longer invisible during Shadowheart's recruitment dialogue by the Chapel.
  • Cleaned up some mocap and made general improvements in the dialogue with Glut.
  • Removed an incorrect animation during the dialogue with The Necromancy of Thay.
  • Fixed a minor clip when speaking to Sovereign Spaw in the Underdark.
  • Fixed feet not making contact with the ground when using Feather Fall to leap into the Underdark.
  • Fixed an animation issue when exchanging noblestalk with Derryth in the Underdark.
  • Fixed a head pop in the scene on the raft in the Underdark.
  • Fixed Lae'zel's crossed eyes in the dialogue with Lady Esther near Rosymorn Monastery.
  • Fixed a couple of lines related to Zorru and Crèche Y'llek playing at the wrong moment.
  • Fixed the position of characters' feet to prevent clipping, and moved Lae'zel to prevent her looking the wrong way in Crèche Y'llek.
  • Added fade-ins and -outs and tweaked the facial expressions in the dialogue with Kansif in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
  • Hid a goblin floating in the background when talking to the drider in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
  • Fixed paddle hands in the scene where Harpers ambush the drider's convoy in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
  • Fixed the drider jittering and cameras looking the wrong way when you examine the Harpers' bodies after the ambush in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
  • Fixed some animations and camera issues in the dialogue with Harper Skywin in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
  • Fixed one of Jaheira's lines getting cut off in the dialogue with her at Last Light.
  • Fixed the timing of Marcus' wing flap animation when he flies away from Last Light.
  • Fixed a dagger appearing beneath the Strange Ox at Last Light if you use Speak with Animals on it.
  • Fixed Jaheira looking like she sinks into the ground on certain lines.
  • Fixed a barrel clipping with Thisobald Thorm's pipes.
  • Thisobald Thorm's tubes no longer twitch and twist.
  • Fixed head angles and pops in a dialogue with Araj and Astarion at Moonrise.
  • Fixed camera and character placement issues in a dialogue with Jaheira at Moonrise.
  • Fixed some camera angles in a dialogue with Araj at Moonrise.
  • Fixed the lipsyncing for a rat in the Gauntlet of Shar.
  • Made sure large characters don't block or clip into Shadowheart when you arrive in

• Fixed clipping in a shot in the

• The camera will no longer try to show a shot of

• Removed certain pale individuals from the background of a camp dialogue.
  • Fixed a duplicate line in dialogue with Gortash in Wyrm's Crossing.
  • Cleaned up the animations for Izzy, the girl trying to sneak into the circus.
  • Fixed hirelings clipping into whoever's talking in the dialogue with Zethino in the circus.
  • Fixed character placement and clipping issues in a camp scene at the Elfsong Tavern.
  • Cleaned up the mocap in the dialogue with Allandra Grey in the Water Queen's House.
  • Fixed the pacing of how a certain character in the House of Grief is revealed.
  • Fixed where companions and Shadowheart are looking when meeting a particular character in the House of Grief.
  • Fixed some facial expressions and camera issues in the dialogue that plays after Gortash is defeated.
  • Fixed several snaps and twitches in the dialogue with the pale individuals at Fraygo's Flophouse.
  • Improved the facial expressions and timing when talking to Lady Flux in the Guildhall.
  • Fixed an issue with where characters are looking in the dialogue with Aradin at Sorcerous Sundries.
  • Fixed the wrong animation being used when closing

• Added new camera shots in a romance dialogue with Halsin and in dialogues in the Stormshore Tabernacle.
  • Fixed

• Made sure the chains are no longer there after you free

• Fixed an animation to avoid clipping for halflings male when they hold

• Fixed

• Fixed Astarion jittering in a dialogue by a particular pool.
  • Made sure characters don't stay in their Wild Shape in an endgame cinematic dialogue.
  • Fixed excessive neck twisting in an endgame dialogue.
  • Fixed some mocap-related pops in an endgame dialogue with Wyll.
  • Fixed an issue in one of Karlach's final dialogues, causing it to end too early.

• is no longer missing from one of the endgame cinematics.
  • Fixed a line being cut off in a game over dialogue.
  • Fixed some issues with Wyll's mocap in an endgame dialogue.
  • Fixed pops in an endgame dialogue with Gale.
  • Fixed an issue preventing one of Karlach's final scenes from triggering and made sure she's wearing her camp clothing in romance dialogues.
  • Fixed the wrong characters appearing in a cinematic shot near the end of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...iew-polish-that-puts-other-aaa-games-to-shame

Baldur's Gate 3 PC tech review: polish that puts other AAA games to shame​

Plus: optimised settings for improved performance.

Baldur's Gate 3 has left a long early access period to critical acclaim and massive success - and after playing it I can understand why. Baldur's Gate 3 digitises the free-form gameplay of D&D in a way that keeps the spirit of the tabletop role-playing game intact, resulting in some of the most interactive and reactive narrative and gameplay that the medium has ever seen. Developers Larian are also using their own engine technology - admirable in an era when even the biggest AAA studios are falling back to Unreal Engine. I've tested the game to break down its visuals and performance, as well as provide optimised settings for a range of PCs.

Before discussing the game's graphical options, I wanted to underscore just how well Baldur's Gate 3 carries the analogue experience of Dungeons and Dragons, from the overt way the dungeon master's narration sneaks into moments as internal thoughts beyond the player's control, or the way you can navigate the environments in encounters, utilising the terrain and your attributes to come out a victor. It is all free form and flows wonderfully, and the amount of choice you have to affect the game in your own way is staggering.

My favourite aspect is how Larian has blended analogue elements from the tabletop experience into play where it matters most. In combat, the rules of chance are automatically dealt with to keep combat as fast and satisfying as possible in a turn-based system, but when it comes to big moments of player action, chance is made overt with a throw of a D20 die that you can see spinning in front of you and determining your fate. If you've ever played tabletop games you know how exhilarating this is - how empowering a natural 20 is and how hilarious it is to see a critical failure 1 pop up. As I see it, Baldur's Gate 3 is the best translation of that D&D table experience into the digital realm that I have ever played.

With that in mind then, it almost doesn't matter that the game's graphics aren't boundary-pushing, with familiar techniques that have been used since the days of the PS4: shadow maps, screen-space ambient occlusion and just enough texture and geometry quality to make convincing facsimilies of all the famous archetypes and objects you find in D&D lore.

The technical makeup of the graphics is last-generation then, but the execution is great nonetheless. Characters look great and animate well enough even in dialogue, a feat given how much voice-over there is to account for, special effects from attacks are fanciful and detailed, and the areas you traverse can be evocative and beautiful.

Given how this game is shipping with a Vulkan client, I would really love to see its graphical quality upped in meaningful ways over time, if possible. For example, replacing SSAO and indirect lighting with ray-traced equivalents would do magical things to the game's presentation. Even something as simple as ray-traced shadows would help quite a bit, as the shadows can show obvious flicker and aliasing at times, even at their highest settings.

Speaking of Vulkan, you do get a choice of both DirectX 11 and Vulkan modes from the game's launcher - a launcher that performs brilliantly on my Ryzen 5 3600 test PC and oddly slowly on my Core i9 12900K PC. (Thankfully, you can use the launch command --skip-launcher to boot straight into the DX11 version of the game, or use --skip-launcher --vulkan to boot straight into Vulkan.)

Baldur's Gate doesn't push the boundaries of graphics technologies - but it's clear that the characters and environments have been lovingly detailed and can feel hugely evocative.

We've already covered the DX11 vs Vulkan choice for Baldur's Gate 3 in detail, so we'll summarise here. For systems that are GPU-limited (~99% GPU utilisation recorded in Windows Game Bar > Performance), DirectX 11 is the better choice, as it runs around eight percent faster than Vulkan on Nvidia GPUs and 25 percent faster than Vulkan on Intel GPUs, with no appreciable difference on AMD GPUs.

If you're CPU-limited, we still recommend DX11 for Nvidia and AMD GPU owners, as performance in areas with NPCs is around three to five percent faster, though Vulkan is faster in static scenes with these GPUs. Meanwhile, Intel GPUs run 13 percent faster in Vulkan in this CPU-limited scenario. DirectX 11 also benefits from a working triple-buffered and double-buffered v-sync implementation, which doesn't work in Vulkan, and my colleague Will Judd also saw crashes on Vulkan that weren't repeated in DX11.

Therefore, most AMD and Nvidia users ought to use the DX11 API, especially as your CPU becomes more modern, whereas Vulkan is best used on very old CPUs where users are struggling to attain 60 fps. For Intel GPU owners targeting 60fps at higher resolutions, DX11 is again better, but those targeting 120fps at lower resolutions, Vulkan is better.

Here's how DX11 and Vulkan stack up when GPU-limited on an Nvidia, AMD and Intel graphics card respectively. In short: DX11 wins two (Nvidia, Intel) and draws one (AMD), making it a good default choice.

With the API question out of the way, we can enter the main menu. The options here are good enough, with descriptions for each setting often accompanied by an illustration. However, information on which component is taxed (CPU, GPU, VRAM) could be a helpful addition for the future.

I'm grateful to see DLSS and DLAA here, but those without an RTX graphics card would benefit from the inclusion of FSR 2 and XeSS. Instead, AMD and Intel GPU owners need to rely on FSR 1, although FSR 2 should arrive in September (and a DLSS replacement mod is already available from former DF interviewee PotatoOfDoom).

If DLSS and DLAA are an option for you though, you'll find that it looks better than the default TAA at nearly every quality setting, with less blur and ghosting. There are two minor DLSS issues, the first being trails behind hair when moving, and second being depth of field being (I think accidentally) tied to internal resolution, such that background objects appear clearer in DLSS performance than in DLSS quality.

FSR can't really compare to DLSS 2, given the latter's use of extra temporal data, so it would have been nice to see FSR 2 (and XeSS) included at launch for users of non-Nvidia graphics cards.

The game's DLAA looks better than the default TAA, making it worth enabling given its relatively low performance cost.

Altogether, the technical user experience in Baldur's gate 3 is good - options are adequate and you even get some niceties like seamless UI and camera style changes when you switch between mouse and keyboard and controller. Still, I'd like to see these DLSS issues cleared up and an official FSR 2 implementation as quickly as possible.

Baldur's Gate 3 isn't particularly heavy on the CPU and GPU, as it runs maxed out at 1440p on an RTX 2060 Super, a four-year-old mid-range GPU, with performance between 40 and 60fps while using 4.5GB of VRAM. In this scenario, activating DLSS quality mode is sufficient to achieve a stable 60fps. Still, not everyone is equipped with this calibre of GPU or has access to DLSS, so optimised settings are still worth detailing - with the target being reasonable performance gains without too harsh an impact on visual quality.

Taking the options in turn, fog quality provides a small two percent performance advantage when dropped to high with a negligible visual difference, while medium shadow quality is a more noticeable drop that pays for itself with a nearly 10 percent frame-rate gain. Circular depth of field is the best-looking option, making it worth keeping, but reducing its quality to quarter (without denoise) provides a three percent performance advantage with only a minor visual setback.

Beyond this, there are few performance wins that come without oversized visual penalties. Model quality is arguably in this category, but dropping quality to medium does provide six percent better performance albeit with more noticeable pop-in and reduced model quality on distant objects. I'd suggest trying high first, but consider dropping to medium if you're not able to achieve 60fps. The other settings are largely useful only for very old PCs, with relatively limited scaling on settings like detail distance and cloud quality, which are best left on their highest settings. Similarly, animation level of detail and slow HDD mode didn't seem to noticeably affect performance or visuals even on my low-end system. Lastly, texture quality can be kept on ultra for modern GPU with more than 4GB of VRAM.

With that said, most of our optimised settings remain on their highest options as the game is so light in general, but we still derive a nice 20 percent boost to average performance in the scene we tested - nice to see given how little visual fidelity we've sacrificed.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a great game then, and unlike many recent PC releases, it launches in a polished state with no game-breaking issues, shaming the technical quality of other big AAA releases. I wish it did a few things better, like having FSR 2 at launch, fixing a few minor DLSS issues or improving frame-times when traversing NPC-populated areas on lower-end CPUs like the Ryzen 5 3600. Other than these minor aspects though, Larian has done a fine job on the technical side of things - and that's a genuine pleasure, given just how well this clear game-of-the-year candidate has been realised.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Sera-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-video-games-38806654-760-1040.jpg

A thing is for certain feels nice for once have attractive elves.

Bioware abbandoned those

Never post this disgusting creature ever again.

Still better companion than Neeshka

yy4abgo.png

Oh look, it's time for Lagole Gon Neeshka rant again.

Neeshka is... well... could have been... a pretty damn interesting character.
Playing as a tiefling adds some cool bonus dialogue (assuming it will not bug out). I think there's even one specifically for male tieflings, where she jokes about CHARNAME and her not being a couple, in response to some village guy being weirded out by seeing two tieflings at once (In the context of BG3 - LMAO!).

It adds another dimension to the undead guy messing with her head (and the bits of axed romance content).
She finally met someone like her and they go for an adventure - cute story. But she also develops some creepy, but understandable, possessive obsession.

hq720.jpg

Once again, I blame this guy for NWN2 being bad, but close enough to being somewhat okay-ish, which makes it extra frustrating.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Bud could you please copy and post what I said to him because he has me ignored. I truly want him to be a better GM.
Alright, but I won't make a habit of it:

Eisenheinrich, James said that, in his opinion:
You don't tell the players what they're feeling or that they're going crazy. You have to describe the scenes in detail combined with the perfect cadence, pitch, and vocal control to elicit the reaction you want from your players. Having the room set up correctly is key.

That's why I had a long waiting list for my CoC campaigns. People loved it when I scared the shit out of them or made them experience what their characters were.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Alright, but I won't make a habit of it:

Eisenheinrich, James said that, in his opinion:
You don't tell the players what they're feeling or that they're going crazy. You have to describe the scenes in detail combined with the perfect cadence, pitch, and vocal control to elicit the reaction you want from your players. Having the room set up correctly is key.

That's very nice of him. I appreciate the lecture.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Once again, I blame this guy for NWN2 being bad, but close enough to of being somewhat okay-ish, which makes it extra frustrating.
NWN2 was decline on a number of levels. Not just the OC companions, but the engine, the animations (dodging/missing is no longer animated like it was in NWN, one of the few things that actually impressed me), the world design, the story, the bugs.

I remember one thing that got hyped was the trial scene. Which was completely irrelevant and full of fake choices. Or the rocks fall, everyone dies ending - nice callback, I guess, but what were they thinking making that the ending of a AAA game? No, this was not ok. This wasn't even close. I hated every minute of it and I'm glad that I never have to play it again. The one negative of MotB is that it's tied to the OC.

It's also part of the reason I could never take any of the redditoids here seriously when they bawled about BG3's intro being too epic and wanting it to start in an inn or a small town. Seriously? Did you niggers actually like NWN2's boring ass opening? And to think there are people who complain about the starter dungeon in BG2. Just visit a farm, you stupid assholes.

Self-Ejected
Once again, I blame this guy for NWN2 being bad, but close enough to of being somewhat okay-ish, which makes it extra frustrating.
NWN2 was decline on a number of levels. Not just the OC companions, but the engine, the animations (dodging/missing is no longer animated like it was in NWN, one of the few things that actually impressed me), the world design, the story, the bugs.

I remember one thing that got hyped was the trial scene. Which was completely irrelevant and full of fake choices. Or the rocks fall, everyone dies ending - nice callback, I guess, but what were they thinking making that the ending of a AAA game?

It's also part of the reason I could never take any of the redditoids here seriously when they bawled about BG3's intro being too epic and wanting it to start in an inn or a small town. Seriously? Did you niggers actually like NWN2's boring ass opening? And to think there are people who complain about the starter dungeon in BG2. Just visit a farm, you stupid assholes.
Quite accurate i recall in the obsidian forum many lamented this.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Oh and then there's the orc caves. It was Black Mountain Clan all over again. A long ass dungeon stuck in the middle of the game, full of trash mobs that you needed to clear to get back to the story. And if that's not boring enough, you pick up the most boring paladin ever there.

It's like the devs hated the players and wanted to inflict the worst possible experience on them.

There were some okay elements there. The shadoweave stuff, the githyanki lore in general. But as a whole, I found it a chore to play.

Perkel

Arcane
Fun stuff. (spoiler from frog main quest and some dark urge testing)

decided to just yolo frog rogue and see where this gets me if i just turbofocus on gith creche and frog and i decided to take dark urge as well because i heard good things about it.

So on mind flayer ship i ignored shadowheart and straight went to frog meeting. To my surprise there wasn't any difference in dialogue when she saw i was frog as well which was shameful but alas i continued.

Iwent via waypoint path and i noticed Gale hand. Well he lost his hand...

After crashlanding I skipped shadowheart banging on temple doors as well and went directly to frog being trapped. This was slightly different as I had only intimidation or kill thieflings as they feared me. After getting her out this was the moment where she actually noticed i was frog as well and there was like 2 different dialogue linesa as frog.

After that we got to groove to search for guy who knows where creche is. We found him made him bow and went ahead to frog meeting with dragon. Along the way frog aproved of frog.

We met with other frogs and dragon and to my surprise that dude who would always put death sentence on my team regardless if frog companion was talking to frog with dragon. Actually i took lead on talking as frog. So maybe frog faggotry afoot made him change his mind. He commanded us to get to creche in mountain pass. And we hit lvl 3 btw without even fighting anything.

When i got close to mountain pass "door" suddenly out of nowhere huge psychic wave overcome me and suddenly as well out of nowhere Shadowheart popped up saving us with artifact. Female frog noticed that this is frog artifact so in way to thank her we murdered her and took it.

So we went ahead to mountain pass. When i clicked to travel it insta moved our groop to campsite where bard thiefling woman announced she will join us. Raphael spawned in camp as well with his proposition as well as that hireling undead. Female frog announced that in 15 minutes of our walking together she found my male frog smelly ass amazing and she wants her cloaka to be stretched.

I went to sleep to discover that that bard thiefling was now lying murdered and butchered with me being bathed in her blood. Either way i ignored it and just went to sleep leaiving her corpse on display.

Female frog next day found it and argued that I shouldn't kill her or at least do it more clean way. My froggy.

We went to creche, did long jump down to get to creche and met with other frogs. I said i have their artifact. They shat their asses and i were lead to leader. I gave her artifact and she shat pants too and we were lead to higher leader. After minimal talking Qeen of Frogs popped up huge as building and explained some shit about artifact my apha frog swore to Queen that he will beat entity in artifact. So we did go into it and failed. Turns out that entity is invincible. We got out and turns out they didn't even care and just wanted to kill us. So we died. The end.

overall i am pretty amazed by reactivity and open structure.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still think they should have started the game with 1 or 2 levels with some kind of low-level dungeon/adventure. Then when you head back to Baldur's Gate you get taken away. It would have been a chance to get to know your own character a bit, maybe even a companion. And it would have avoided the level 1 archmage.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I still think they should have started the game with 1 or 2 levels with some kind of low-level dungeon/adventure. Then when you head back to Baldur's Gate you get taken away. It would have been a chance to get to know your own character a bit, maybe even a companion. And it would have avoided the level 1 archmage.

In all honesty, compared to what comes in Act 2 or 3, I found the wood stalking, gnoll killing, spider cave clearing and goblin hunting in the first act to be quite passing for that "low level adventure feel". Also the first dungeon in game, Overgrown Ruins, is pretty much that. Some traps, sarcophagus and skellies. Basic stuff.
As soon as you enter the Underdark, there is a notable spike in difficulty and otherworldy weirdness, as it should be.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom