Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected
Sera-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-video-games-38806654-760-1040.jpg

A thing is for certain feels nice for once have attractive elves.

Bioware abbandoned those

Never post this disgusting creature ever again.

Still better companion than Neeshka

yy4abgo.png
I would take Neeshka hundreds of times. Sera was just ugly and insufferable

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wtf, U can't delay/ready action in combat ?

That sucks for rogues with high init, when you want to perfom sneak attack.

Too bad for the thorough 5ed implementation.
All Rogues get Hide as Bonus action. Thief subclass gets extra Bonus Action at level 2. Pretty easy as ranged Rogue to hide as necessary but can also get Sneaks from ally engaged with target.

Shaki

Arbiter
I would take Neeshka hundreds of times. Sera was just ugly and insufferable

I stopped playing DA:I after like 10 hours, so no idea how bad the ugly elf is, but it is literally not possible to write a worse character than Neeshka. There never was and there never will be a more annoying dogshit companion in a video game.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I stopped playing DA:I after like 10 hours, so no idea how bad the ugly elf is, but it is literally not possible to write a worse character than Neeshka. There never was and there never will be a more annoying dogshit companion in a video game.
Neeshka was just annoying and cliché. The sorceress was worst iirc.

Worst part of NWN2 was the companions, and you were forced to take them.

The druid was kind of amusing, given that she's stalked the player his whole life. But she was so bland and boring. I still think the best ending was becoming a shade lord and killing all the companions.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

All Rogues get Hide as Bonus action. Thief subclass gets extra Bonus Action at level 2. Pretty easy as ranged Rogue to hide as necessary but can also get Sneaks from ally engaged with target.
Yes, exacly, my rogue is often first in init line; so he has to wait for my fighter to engage or the enemy to come closer/in sight to get this sneak attack. A "delay action" like in DOS would avoid him to waste a turn.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm aware that they're not always unique. Already played with a Duergar cleric and some evil cleric options do indeed overlap. Which is not great, but eh. Could be worse.

It's against the TSR code of ethics. As god intended.
Play good. Safe refugees. Make Christ and Gygax smile in heaven.
I think you don't know how the alignments actually work.

Kiste

Augur
Neeshka was just annoying and cliché. The sorceress was worst iirc.

Worst part of NWN2 was the companions, and you were forced to take them.

The druid was kind of amusing, given that she's stalked the player his whole life. But she was so bland and boring. I still think the best ending was becoming a shade lord and killing all the companions.
It's pretty clear that Neeshka was set up as a second romance option but was obviously never finished (her dialogue options end abruptly about half way through the game, as does her cat-fighting with Elanee). MCA also confirmed as much during the PoE Kickstater Livestream. IIRC, he said "I wanted her to be" but the answer was cut short because everyone started cheering as the campaign timer ended.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Ho, i also tried reading some of the books around since i figured out that reading them doesn't count as stealing lol and while the writing isn't amateurish it is just so damn contemporary. There's not even an attempt at some faux ye oldie style. Of course, i know jack shit about Forgotten Realms lore so most of the books are basically gibberish to me.

You can always play PoE if your into that shit. ;-)

Shrimp

Arbiter
My fucking sides, the ending is horribly bugged on top of being a massive slog to go through gameplay wise

I ended up persuading Gale to blowing himself and the elder brain up. Tbf there's a chance I probably skipped some final encounter by doing this, but still...

Ending cutscene starts out with Shadowheart lamenting his sacrifice, Lae'Zel scolds me for not saving the Gith prince and then... Gale - alive and well - says that maybe he could still retrieve the crystals for the crown... Followed by Halsin stating he will plant a forest in honour of Gale's sacrifice
What the fuck, what an absolutely abhorrent mess

No wonder they claim to have 17000 permutations of the ending cutscene when shit like this happens

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The Illithiad is 1998 which is right at the end of the TSR branded books. This was after Wizards bought the company, so it's for AD&D 2E. I'd consider it to be apocrypha or DANDINO 3.x based upon when the book was released if you're a purist like me.
He also mentioned Alhoons, which were from Menzoberranzan, released in 1992.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
The Illithiad is 1998 which is right at the end of the TSR branded books. This was after Wizards bought the company, so it's for AD&D 2E. I'd consider it to be apocrypha or DANDINO 3.x based upon when the book was released if you're a purist like me.
He also mentioned Alhoons, which were from Menzoberranzan, released in 1992.

Yeah but I was talking about The Adversary.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

Anyway, the point I think the other poster was making about Alhoons was that mindflayers can and do break free of elder brains. That much is 2E lore.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

I don't use Forgotten Degeneracy shit in anything I do. I try to keep my game and rules as pure to AD&D 2E as possible with some changes obviously.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With 3 people co-oping we only have room for one companion, and we haven't exchanged a word with Shadowheart since she joined the party, so that's probably why I haven't encountered any of this atrocious writing you're all whinging about. The druid grove was pretty dull, but now we're in the Underdark helping out some mushroom people and the writing is perfectly serviceable, even good. I still absolutely despise everything about the narrator, but apart from that everything's fine.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes, exacly, my rogue is often first in init line; so he has to wait for my fighter to engage or the enemy to come closer/in sight to get this sneak attack. A "delay action" like in DOS would avoid him to waste a turn.
What? You Hide with the Bonus action (or start the combat hidden/invis) which gives you advantage/sneaks already. On later turns you can rehide or attack something engaged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom