Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm just reveling in the fact that cRPGs are mainstream again. Hopefully this is the start of a renaissance that brings back quality games with talented creators.

Maybe this will also signal boost indies like Colony Ship? Would be nice.

Maybe we'll get a surprise announcement for Planescape: Blood War with Avellone on board.

I would jizz a happy jizz.
CRPGs are not mainstream, D&D is

This is exactly backwards of objective & observable reality. Relative #s wise, few people play D&D, a metric fuck ton of people have played the various cRPGs over the years. Skyrim alone would smash D&D numbers by a mile. Dragon Age, Witcher 3, I can go on...

It’s especially the case with BG3. Hasbro is by their own account expecting BG3 to make what 10 years of D&D spin-offs have earned them combined.

People saying the resurgence of DND has helped BG3 have it backwards. At this point, it’s BG3 boosting interest in DND
I'm not entirely convinced of this. If Larian had made DOS3 at the same level of quality, I doubt it would have had the same success.

It's a very hypothetical discussion because it would be literally impossible to make DOS3 "at the same level" - its worldbuilding, potential story arcs and gameplay just do not compute for something as well-produced as BG3.

So in that sense you're right. But the point is that BG3 as an isolated entity is way, waaaay more popular than anything else D&D except maybe the entirety of the base game.

99% of people who play D&D are going to play BG3. And a helluva lot of people who don't play D&D at all.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is a very fantastic take.
“You engage as little as you need to, and then you wonder why you’re not getting back what you had when you engaged more.”

"If you think this game is shit, well it's all your fault player and you should've played harder." What retarded take. Maybe games aren't fun because they're bad games. But if people really fall for such a line, I'm going to use it against my employees when they say they don't like working for me.

So sad, playing a game you don't enjoy, and blaming the game for it. You are doubly fucked - your time and your money is wasted. You are a junkie who has developed resistance and you can't even tell.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The itemization is pretty decent imo but it needs more variety. There are two legendary great swords(one of the is gith only), and that's it. THere is no other two hand legendary weapons to choose from. And I can't even recall any good greataxes in the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finding it slightly hard to keep playing, game starts to feel like a chore.

-Too few combats that take too long. Larian seems to take heed of the common (bad) Codex advice of "no trash fights!" The result is every combat has to be a 'puzzle' that often requires reloads or heavy resource use just to get by. Even the goblins are like this, basically no straightforward battles where you and some enemies square off; everyone is spread way out, everyone has consumables and bombs to throw at you, forced ambushes (beholder), etc. The rest of the time you wander through the empty areas bored to death while picking through 1000 empty boxes. Not everything has to be a miniboss, sometimes you just encounter some orcs to wail on as a warm up and there's nothing wrong with that.

-"I'm going on an adventure!" said Bilbo, then dicked around in the Shire for 5 weeks. No urgency, it's a random collection of events/quests with no coherence. Just "stuff to do". It feels like nothing has happened and I'm still in a prologue. I liked the random hard to find Kuo-toa hideout in the underdark, yet there was nothing in there worth looking for or seeing besides the kill XP. Which brings me to...

-Lame loot and rewards. Every time I find a cool chest or hidden bit of loot its like 10 gold and a potion. Itemization is terrible because it's all conditional stuff like "+1 damage every other Tuesday if your male companions are on fire." Hey remember finding Carsomyr for the first time and reading the description and being like "OMG I'm rerolling a pally just for this!" Or finding awesome gear like Gauntlets of Ogre power on some random evil halflings in the planar sphere. Idk if this is Larian's fault or if all of 5E is this weaksauce. (tbf all the loot in BG1 was also lame so I guess there's that).
I find myself partially agreeing with this criticism. On occasion I've raised the same problems while playing. However, taking the opposite side, I'd counter-argue this to your complaints:

Too few combats that take too long, and feel like puzzles
I can classify combats into two rough categories - "extra credits" optional combats, and combats which you trigger as one means of solving a quest. It's the latter category feels more puzzle-like to me. In the optional combats, I've usually been able to get by with basic attacks/cantrip casts. YMMV of course, because I'm playing on Balanced.

wander through the empty areas bored to death (while picking through...)
Man, if you are bored, by all means don't play. Resist the unhealthy urge to stay glued to the PC and mechanically click your way through the game. It's spoiling the game for yourself. Find something else to do, take a break. There is life outside the Steam client :) Rest assured, the itch to go back to the game will visit you soon, and if it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be. Don't turn your fun into a job. If you let go of a game for a day or two it doesn't mean "the game defeated you". If you want to show persistance, show it in an activity that's improving your health - like go do pull ups, it pays to be persistant in that. Enternainment activities are not an area where you would benefit from being persistant and going forward "in spite of" something.

I swear there must be people on this forum who even mastrubate out of habit, not because of a physical urge to do it :lol: You can tell by the way they shittalk games before, during, and after having played them for ~100 hours. It's the same mentality.

no urgency
Again, feeling urgency is up to the player. I can get a work email with the subject prefixed with "[URGENT]" and still not feel urgency, so what's to say about a game quest? :lol:
Anyway, speriously speaking, urgency in a cRPG is a double edged sword - you are screwed if you lack it, you are screwed if you have it. In a PnP campaign, it's easy to pull the leash on the party and to give them some time according to your discretion. In the videogame you have to play both DM and player.

I had some deliberation when thinking would my character even want to go into the Underdark after having finished the monastery. Shouldn't he feel the urgency? I decided to RP the decision such as the venturing into the Underdark is done because I have the respective NPC in the party. Shadoheart is determined to check out what happened there, and we don't intend to entangle ourselves in anything more. Which of course is merely the initial plan...

Lame loot and rewards
I think there are some very significant items that come as rewards from quests (The Blood of Lathander), but most of the time it doesn't really matter which of the 4 greataxes I equip in Laezel. However I'm not a fan of swapping weapons too often. I currently have a gith greatsword equipped on Laezel which incurs bonus psychic damage if wielded by gythianki. The more level stats of items allows me to RP equipment choices more, so there is that as a positive.

I think Act 3 has way too much urgency for the game design, actually. When you tell your players to go explore a gigantic ass event sandbox, putting time limits in it seems counterintuitive, because functionally those tell players to conduct their affairs in a certain order - in which case, why have the sandbox at all?

I don't enjoy many things about Larian's structure for BG3 - but if there's one thing I do enjoy, it's the "go whereever the fuck you please to enjoy the next bit"-thing.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Well well well, Schreier deleted this tweet

image.png

He also said Jedi Survivor was not buggy.

Really makes you think...

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat and balancing is... more or less good for a casual audience but will be completely broken by someone with a brain.
You are catching on the tryhard language of resident edgelords. Someone with a brain would first understand the designer's intent, and then play this as a PnP with maximum RP his choices. Minmaxing and munchkinning this game is a path to sorrow, unless undertaken out of pure curiosity how far you can push it.

Expecting a game which strongly signals its design intent to adapt to your expectations is not a sign of "someone with a brain", it's a sign of a burnt-out retard. The game is already coded and designed, no it will not adapt to you.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Yo, I'm too lazy to dig through this thread and read 256 pages of drivel so somebody tell me, what's the general consensus of this game so far?
My personal thoughts are that the gameplay systems are competent and a good reflection of 5e + Larian's own additions. Combat and balancing is... more or less good for a casual audience but will be completely broken by someone with a brain.

Acting is good, voicing is good, animations are hit and miss. Music is very good at parts.

Writing is cringe, characters are cringe.

C&C is super impressive on the first run but the main stuff is railroaded into like 4 different flavors.

Why is the writing cringe? What type of cringe does it fall under? Can you overlook it or is it always in your face? Like do the characters/story ruin the experience?

Also what little I've seen in the animation department has all been glitchy and stiff or overly tryhard to the point things just look exaggerated/unnatural.
It's cringe if you are a jaded "Culture Warrior" who sees gays stalking hiim from the shadows on the rare occasions he goes out of his basement to buy milk.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
She is only real support companion, rest of them is more combat focused. She is mechanicaly pointless only when you playing as a support cleric.
I am playing a support cleric.
That is the dwarven style front line support - heavy armor, heavier hammer and "my face is my shield" attitude.
And those strong is faith need not think coz thinking only lead one to doubts.
So I let SH do this thinking thing for me as the lore bard.
I had to rearrange her stats a bit, but I still let her keep her first level of cleric, so she can pretend to be the little cute goth choir girl scout that she is.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
99% of people who play D&D are going to play BG3. And a helluva lot of people who don't play D&D at all.
That was my point about D&D, the people who play D&D these days are only a small slice of the audience of people who enjoy D&D in all its forms and talk about it. That's what is giving BG3 the push it needed to become the success it is.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was playing a game while I typed my original list. Had like five different games listed twice, just missed DE. Rating wise, out of the entire list I'd only consider the games listed below to actually be quality cRPGs.

Underrail
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Disco Elysium
Age of Decadence

And I left out several great cRPGs as I didn't think Meb had played them. To said list, I would add Knights of the Chalice I & II, Sunless Sea, Vagrus, Dungeon Rats, and a few others. My overall list of great cRPGs is listed below.

1. Underrail
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Baldur's Gate
4. Knights of the Chalice II
5. Icewind Dale
6. Disco Elysium
7. Vagrus
8. Kenshi
9. Knights of the Chalice I
10. Age of Decadence
11. Dungeon Rats
12. Sunless Sea
13. Battle Brothers

Here are some RPGs that I've yet to give a proper chance or even try that might have a chance of making it onto this list.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
Arx Fatalis
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire (sincerely doubt this will be any good)
Temple of Elemental Evil
Neverwinter Nights 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Starsector
Shadowrun Series
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Both Fallout and Fallout 2 have combat that is simply too poor for me to actually enjoy the games, especially since the art direction of both games is lacking, the UI feels terrible, and the writing is mediocre. Fallout: New Vegas also has atrocious gameplay and is horrible looking. Arcanum is a broken, buggy mess, with poor combat. If a version that isn't completely fucked comes out I might actually end up enjoying it. Baldur's Gate II perverts much of what is great about the first game and basically ruins it.

Now aside from the fact that ranking things and making lists is fun, how does Baldur's Gate III compare to the games that I listed above? Is the combat as fun and strategic as Underrail, KotC I & II, Dungeon Rats, and Age of Decadence? Do they manage to create a world half as interesting as in Underrail, Planescape: Torment, Vagrus, Kenshi, or Sunless Sea? Is the writing even close to that of Vagrus, Sunless Sea, Disco Elysium, and Planescape Torment? Can the art direction be compared to Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Vagrus, and Sunless Sea? Some of these questions have been answered but I do want some definitive comparisons/explanations. I understand the game is filled with a bunch of dumb/disgusting shit, but how much does that take away from the overall experience? Does the game qualify as a truly great cRPG, or is it just one of the mediocre ones that people play because the truly great ones are so few and far between?

volklore

Arcane
The desolate monastery + Gith Creche area was really good. Definitely larian was trying to get that souls/elden ring vibe with the exploration there.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Checking Nexus looking for mod for my second playthrough, only found bucnh of mods to give female companions penis.

Larian look at what you have done. Even skyrim modding community knows to keep these shit in loverslab.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ok, Wyll is the absolute worst NPC i ever seen in an RPG. We are talking Neeshka bad but for the woke crowd, because he is clearly written the way he is because he is black. It's the most pathetic example of l1brul coddling for black people i've ever seen in my life. He is the most double plus good character ever created, my human Paladin even knows his "fame" since i'm a Balduran and can comment on it. God damn this is beyond pathetic. L1bruls truly believe black people are infants.
Kinda disagree. He's portrayed as having good (LG) intentions but clearly being mentally retarded.
He wants to hunt down Karlach because she's an "evil servant of an infernal Devil Lord", yet Karlach never had a choice, was enslaved by that devil and fled Avernus the moment she had the chance. He otoh became the servant of the Devils willingly.
You can literally tell him that: You are everything you've accused Karlach to be.

So imo he isn't portrayed as a goody two shoes but as a fucking idiot.
I look at Wyll this way - he is written well enough that he manages to genuinely annoy me as a character, and I don't want to have anything to do with him, except watching him fail destroy himself with his stupidity. I think it's a case of the writer intentionally making him an idiot, not of writer ineptitude.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wyll is a fundamentally decent person, but he did compromise on his morals out of a false sense of ends justifying the means and his arc partially revolves around him having to recognize that because he'll endanger his friends if he doesn't.
I haven't seen his arc in full, but my feeling was that he compromised on his morals out of pride more than anything else. He fell from pride.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

image.png

Act 3 is pretty fucked. Two quests have completely broke for me and two companions think I've taken the opposite path with their story compared to what I actually did.

Which is to say: it's as fucked as every act of most AAA games on release.

As far as a big release goes, BG3 is in pristine condition

Sunri

Liturgist
It's so weird that you lose 2 companions if you side with goblins i would be ok if we had like 10 guys to chose from but that really limits your party

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's so weird that you lose 2 companions if you side with goblins i would be ok if we had like 10 guys to chose from but that really limits your party
You have 12 others to chose from though, not even including the other origins or Minsc and Jaheira. Henchmen.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I really think evil choices like siding with the goblins should come with some kind of reward or incentive. It's simply the worst choice morally and materially. The only reason to do it is to be edgy and evul.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
5E brings back a lot of the lore from 2E and 3E, but it's dumbed down. (For example, tieflings are now just demonic-looking humans instead of humands with various mutant-looking traits from some planar ancestor.)
Someone in this thread said that this is an exception due to these tieflings coming from a city that was recently sent to hell (in the module Descent into Avernus). So it actually explains why they act so human because they have been until recently. I think it's a terrible idea to have a P&P module with a lot of the backstory and not even summarize this early on in the game, but that is another problem

https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/47480/roleplaying-games/review-descent-into-avernus

Although titled Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, this adventure has very little to do with Baldur’s Gate.

It does begin in the city, however, with Baldur’s Gate being overrun by refugees from Elturel, a city further up the River Chionthar which has mysteriously vanished from the face of Toril. The PCs will spend a couple of days investigating Zarielite cultists in the city, discovering that they may have something do with Elturel’s disappearance. They will then be sent to Candlekeep to research an infernal puzzlebox they’ve recovered during their investigation, and Baldur’s Gate is never seen again.

A scholar at Candlekeep opens the infernal puzzlebox for them, revealing that Elturel has been taken to Hell as the result of a pact signed between the High Observer of Elturel and Zariel, the Archduchess of Avernus.
Although titled Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, this adventure has very little to do with Baldur’s Gate.

It does begin in the city, however, with Baldur’s Gate being overrun by refugees from Elturel, a city further up the River Chionthar which has mysteriously vanished from the face of Toril. The PCs will spend a couple of days investigating Zarielite cultists in the city, discovering that they may have something do with Elturel’s disappearance. They will then be sent to Candlekeep to research an infernal puzzlebox they’ve recovered during their investigation, and Baldur’s Gate is never seen again.

A scholar at Candlekeep opens the infernal puzzlebox for them, revealing that Elturel has been taken to Hell as the result of a pact signed between the High Observer of Elturel and Zariel, the Archduchess of Avernus.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

image.png

Act 3 is pretty fucked. Two quests have completely broke for me and two companions think I've taken the opposite path with their story compared to what I actually did.

Which is to say: it's as fucked as every act of most AAA games on release.

As far as a big release goes, BG3 is in pristine condition
Makes me feel good how slow my progress has been, by the time I reached act 3 it will hopefully be better

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
not in the first act
Hmm. I guess I need to go back and check, but I thought you could do it after recruiting Withers in the Dank Crypt and resting.

I do remember it not being available right away though, so I'm not sure when it unlocks.

If you didn't recruit Withers, then yes, he automatically joins your camp in Act 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom