Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Check how many people finished the game yet and then again in 6 months.

E: Apparently nobody has finished the game on Tactician and 1.1% have finished it at all yet.
this game will take me forever to finish, and that is fine, I can't believe some people can play it in 50 hours. I guess I could, but I would be skipping and rushing it..but I also won't ever play it again probably.

ArchAngel

Arcane
"If you think this game is shit, well it's all your fault player and you should've played harder." What retarded take. Maybe games aren't fun because they're bad games. But if people really fall for such a line, I'm going to use it against my employees when they say they don't like working for me.
That's not his take. He's pointing out that a player must be willing to interact with the provided gameplay systems. It's an anti-consumer, call-of-duty, message. You know, what Bioware has been trying to chase explicitly with Dragon Age since DA2.

Examples (in addition to his):
  • Considering reading as too much effort, refusing to give a story even a chance unless it's fully voiced with 'AAA' tier cinematics.
  • Considering older games to have bad gameplay because you refuse to learn its UI, despite some games being really worth the pain.
  • Considering a game to have poor quest design because quests aren't marked with a huge exclamation mark visible from 10 miles away.
  • Considering older games that expect you to take notes outside of the game as bad because you expect everything to be logged automatically for you in a journal.
It's not a bad take at all, it's an obvious one. We'll all tolerate different things to various degrees, but it's unfair to not judge a game on its merits. That's why takes like "Shit game, ugly UI. Cba playing it." and "BG2 is a bad game because you can't race on the Francorchamps race track" are retarded and useless.
And those racing fans would be completely right. From their perspective.

Ryzer

Arcane
I'm having a blast in act 1, it's really polished and good.
The map is massive and gorgeous, the exploration is thrilling.
It starts really well, like a hurricane or hollymoon phase.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
99% of people who play D&D are going to play BG3. And a helluva lot of people who don't play D&D at all.
I doubt anywhere close to 99% of D&D players even have a PC that could run this game. There are plenty of MacTards and TabletTards. Older GenXers who play D&D but don't have the time or inclination to play any video games and so on. Or them wimminz.
I was surprised but this is actually true, I'm the only one in my TTRPG group with a PC that can run it, one is waiting for the PS5 edition and the rest aren't playing it at all. As you say probably depends on the demographics of your group though.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
afbeelding.png

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

E: Apparently nobody has finished the game on Tactician and 1.1% have finished it at all yet.
this game will take me forever to finish, and that is fine, I can't believe some people can play it in 50 hours. I guess I could, but I would be skipping and rushing it..but I also won't ever play it again probably.

I completed act 1 in 50 hours...
And I even left some enemies alive, should've killed that Gith creche.

this game might take me 400 hours to play at the pace I am going so far..lol

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Only the Creche and the Spectator weigh on my consciense.

I didn't fully explore the Underdark before Grymforge, but that I can live with. There was no RP reason to explore it further.

I've just managed to free Nere at my 50h mark. Gee, I really thought to RP "undercover evil guy" and leave Nere alive, but he is such an obnoxious asshole, that I've changed my plans. I'll clear the duergar around him first, then I'll have him all to myself and Justice (the 2H sword).

Lemming42

Arcane
Playing as a gnome. I never thought I would do such a thing. But I am a gnome now. I am so short. I look so genetically weak. I'm the most beautiful gnomish woman in the world but I still look really stupid. I hate all other gnomes I see. I've named myself "Lemming" to counteract all the "Blimblewoof Funklecunt" names that the rest of my disgraceful people have.

No idea why restarting the game seems more appealing than finishing the Act 3 save I already have, I don't normally do that with games. I'll try to test the reactivity as much as possible, see if you can really shake things up or if it's ultimately just BioWare shit where you get roughly the same story every time with mostly fake/cosmetic choices.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
No idea why restarting the game seems more appealing than finishing the Act 3 save I already have, I don't normally do that with games.
I have the same issue. Act 3 is just so... bleh.
I am under the same temptation, because in my "good" run I went full illithid, and I kind of regret it. Should've saved it for the "evil" run.
Also another sweaty neckbeard is tempting me to restart as a co-op campaign.

Ryzer

Arcane
Who decided to keep the diablo color coding in a D&D adventure?
I want to have a word with him.

Some streamers finished game on Tactician, and complained why Hope exploded in combat when she used certain stuff.
I see two streamers that are doing solo on Tactician. One with rogue, the other with Monk.
Why are you watching streamers
It took me 3 days to download it. What should I do? Should I bitch more in thread about war on Ukraine?
whoa, damn, you live on an island or something?

Lemming42

Arcane
I have the same issue. Act 3 is just so... bleh.
I am under the same temptation, because in my "good" run I went full illithid, and I kind of regret it. Should've saved it for the "evil" run.
Yeah, the idea of going back to the superb Act 1 and really combing the full area for secrets and sidequests (and visiting the Gith creche which I accidentally skipped first time around) feels a lot more enticing than soldering on with the relative dullness of Act 3.

Said earlier in the thread that the game doesn't feel front-loaded, and while that's true in terms of quantity of content, I feel like Act 1 was just a lot more enjoyable than what came afterwards (though I did enjoy Act 2 a lot, as well).

The progress feels a bit off too - everything from level 1 through to about level 6 is a thrill, especially the major jump at level 5 where you unlock second attacks for most classes. But everything after that felt a bit static, just numbers going up. I think I'm like level 10 on my old save and I couldn't name any notable mechanical changes or tactical options that opened up in the past 4~ levels (here's where people can, probably correctly, tell me I'm shit at picking good level up options).

Finding it slightly hard to keep playing, game starts to feel like a chore.

-Too few combats that take too long. Larian seems to take heed of the common (bad) Codex advice of "no trash fights!" The result is every combat has to be a 'puzzle' that often requires reloads or heavy resource use just to get by. Even the goblins are like this, basically no straightforward battles where you and some enemies square off; everyone is spread way out, everyone has consumables and bombs to throw at you, forced ambushes (beholder), etc. The rest of the time you wander through the empty areas bored to death while picking through 1000 empty boxes. Not everything has to be a miniboss, sometimes you just encounter some orcs to wail on as a warm up and there's nothing wrong with that.

-"I'm going on an adventure!" said Bilbo, then dicked around in the Shire for 5 weeks. No urgency, it's a random collection of events/quests with no coherence. Just "stuff to do". It feels like nothing has happened and I'm still in a prologue. I liked the random hard to find Kuo-toa hideout in the underdark, yet there was nothing in there worth looking for or seeing besides the kill XP. Which brings me to...

-Lame loot and rewards. Every time I find a cool chest or hidden bit of loot its like 10 gold and a potion. Itemization is terrible because it's all conditional stuff like "+1 damage every other Tuesday if your male companions are on fire." Hey remember finding Carsomyr for the first time and reading the description and being like "OMG I'm rerolling a pally just for this!" Or finding awesome gear like Gauntlets of Ogre power on some random evil halflings in the planar sphere. Idk if this is Larian's fault or if all of 5E is this weaksauce. (tbf all the loot in BG1 was also lame so I guess there's that).
nobody knows how to do items anymore, ..I think entire generations have been ruined by colored coded loot pinata randomized type itemization and they don't even know what is wrong with the 'loot'. That Is why I don't see how this ever gets fixed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom