Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Kiste

Augur
I'm just reveling in the fact that cRPGs are mainstream again. Hopefully this is the start of a renaissance that brings back quality games with talented creators.

Maybe this will also signal boost indies like Colony Ship? Would be nice.
Unless Colony Ship is significantly less overtuned than Age of Decadence, it will remain very niche.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lilura says this game is shit.

1691992043932.png

Hagashager

Educated
Ok, Wyll is the absolute worst NPC i ever seen in an RPG. We are talking Neeshka bad but for the woke crowd, because he is clearly written the way he is because he is black. It's the most pathetic example of l1brul coddling for black people i've ever seen in my life. He is the most double plus good character ever created, my human Paladin even knows his "fame" since i'm a Balduran and can comment on it. God damn this is beyond pathetic. L1bruls truly believe black people are infants.
Kinda disagree. He's portraited as having good (LG) intentions but clearly being mentally retarded.
He wants to hunt down Karlach because she's an "evil servant of an infernal Devil Lord", yet Karlach never had a choice, was enslaved by that devil and fled Avernus the moment she had the chance. He otoh became the servant of the Devils willingly.
You can literally tell him that: You are everything you've accused Karlach to be.

So imo he isn't portrait as a goody two shoes but as a fucking idiot.
Everything I've seen of Wyll looks almost like a deconstruction of the "perfect Minority Good Guy" trope. Yes, he's an outspokenly Goodie-Two-Shoes Magic Black Man, but everything he has is openly rooted in a conscious hypocrisy. Wyll is a fundamentally decent person, but he did compromise on his morals out of a false sense of ends justifying the means and his arc partially revolves around him having to recognize that because he'll endanger his friends if he doesn't.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Well, there you go. Bear buggery is now the pinnacle of PC gaming.

Im not surprised with the general glowing reviews of BG3, Larian created a gem and they deserve credit and recognition

Two of my brothers are playing BG3 and yesterday I met one of my brothers for lunch and he couldnt stop praising this game, he has just had a daughter and his wife was complaining about " Nicholas is tired because he is gaming till late at night " :lol:

They not active on any gaming forums like Codex and neither of them had even heard of the whole bear sex scene drama. So the point Im making is very few people actually care about the bear sex scene because its such a small and inconsequential part of the overall game

But the majority of gamers do care about how BG3 is a fun and very entertaining game and well worth playing. Thats why its so highly rated

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, speaking of the homour in this game, it is indeed pretty unfunny.

In fact it's kinda of interesting to compare this game to BG1. The nobles in BG1 were silly but funny. My interaction with Volo in the druid grove by contrast left me completely non-plussed. So what's the difference? Am i too old? Was BG1 objectively funnier?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ok, Wyll is the absolute worst NPC i ever seen in an RPG. We are talking Neeshka bad but for the woke crowd, because he is clearly written the way he is because he is black. It's the most pathetic example of l1brul coddling for black people i've ever seen in my life. He is the most double plus good character ever created, my human Paladin even knows his "fame" since i'm a Balduran and can comment on it. God damn this is beyond pathetic. L1bruls truly believe black people are infants.
Kinda disagree. He's portraited as having good (LG) intentions but clearly being mentally retarded.
He wants to hunt down Karlach because she's an "evil servant of an infernal Devil Lord", yet Karlach never had a choice, was enslaved by that devil and fled Avernus the moment she had the chance. He otoh became the servant of the Devils willingly.
You can literally tell him that: You are everything you've accused Karlach to be.

So imo he isn't portrait as a goody two shoes but as a fucking idiot.
blacks can't into c&c, they live in the present.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

View attachment 40043

It should be noted that the only game on that list with a lower rating is... drum roll... Morrowind. Although it does seem like she refused to review a few games, like Fallout 3.

1691993227937.png

Lilura has a few choice words for Morrowind too:

In cRPG History, Morrowind is the most overrated cRPG by a long shot. By god, did the casual gamers embrace this stinker: a huge mob, a horde -- people who had never played a game before, furry fans and LARPers.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I was Bioware I'd be trembling in my boots tbh
Considering BG3 almost feels like more of a spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins than a sequel to BG2 comparisons between BG3 and Dreadwolf will be inevitable. Assuming the game ever gets released.
Indeed. Dragon Ages, especially past the first one are generally disliked on the 'dex but I enjoyed them. That said, BioWare learnt all the wrong lessons and the answer to crappy combat mechanics was always dumbing them down so a 5 years old could play it. Fans complain the combat is subpar? THEY MUST BE RETARDED, DUMB IT DOWN. MAKE IT LIKE AN MMO. Fans still complain about the combat and that it feels like an MMO? THEY MUST BE RETARDED, DUMB IT DOWN, MAKE AWESOME WHEN LEFT MOUSE BUTTON PRESSED. Hence Dragon Age 4 is a straight action game. Then Larian comes, releases basically Dragon Age, except it doesn't treat its customers as complete retards, and wins all over. Bioware fucked itself, they didn't realize in time it's not their customers that are complete retards but themselves.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

In fact it's kinda of interesting to compare this game to BG1. The nobles in BG1 were silly but funny. My interaction with Volo in the druid grove by contrast left me completely non-plussed. So what's the difference? Am i too old? Was BG1 objectively funnier?
You're into dad jokes, we get it

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

This is Larian humour for you. But they really restrained themselves this time, especially after Div OS 2 this game is a fresh air.

But still it's Larian writing, not their strongest suit. Forgetten Realms lore bits and most of things coming directly from first two games are OK at least.

Orion

Cipher
I'm just reveling in the fact that cRPGs are mainstream again. Hopefully this is the start of a renaissance that brings back quality games with talented creators.

Maybe this will also signal boost indies like Colony Ship? Would be nice.

Maybe we'll get a surprise announcement for Planescape: Blood War with Avellone on board.

I would jizz a happy jizz.
CRPGs are not mainstream, D&D is

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

View attachment 40043

It should be noted that the only game on that list with a lower rating is... drum roll... Morrowind. Although it does seem like she refused to review a few games, like Fallout 3.

View attachment 40044

In cRPG History, Morrowind is the most overrated cRPG by a long shot. By god, did the casual gamers embrace this stinker: a huge mob, a horde -- people who had never played a game before, furry fans and LARPers.
Makes you wonder why she ever left, she's such a good fit for the codex, pompous, conceited

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rate the following games for me in rough order of how good you think they are. Help me filter out what kind of gamer you are.

Underrail
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Age of Decadence
Disco Elysium
Planescape: Torment
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Icewind Dale
Disco Elysium
Arcanum
Fallout
Pillars of Eternity
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
ATOM RPG
1. Arcanum
2. Planescape Torment
3. Fallout
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Icewind Dale
6. Fallout 2
7. Fallout: New Vegas
8. Baldur's Gate 2
9. Atom
10. Disco Elysium
11. Age of Decadence
12. Pillars of Eternity
13. Divinity: Original Sin 2

I will not select Underrail because I need to give it another try first.

Do you know you wrote "Disco Elysium" twice? Is it your favorite game?

So, what kind of a gamer am I? I'll add to it that I like Baldur's Gate 3.

Also, WHY IS PRELUDE TO DARKNESS NOT ON THE LIST, WHAT KIND OF 'DEXER ARE YOU?!

Modron

Arcane

View attachment 40044

She's not wrong.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

View attachment 40044

She's not wrong.
She definitely is

Lemming42

Arcane
Out of the loop, haven't played the game in a few days, but... I just started a new character and is it just me or is the game completely different now? I have vastly more dialogue options than before, far more [Class] checks, the crime system seems to have more detail...

So, was the "full release" just a trick, and the game's still being built? Wait another year to have a proper full playthrough?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Less is more. Your brain abstracted a lot for BG1, so you were willing to forgive more and not judge NPC dialog to a high standard.

For example, if there were an NPC in BG3 who said "you talking to me?" with a really bad Robert De Niro impression, you might say "WOAH! They're putting dumb movie references in my fantasy game! Larian humor is awful!"

But in BG1, when that happened in Feldpost's inn, you let it slide because it's just a joke in a game. A game you're always conscious you're playing, since dialog never zooms into people's fully-animated faces, and about the most advanced action you see in a cutscene is a pixelated wyvern flying away with a cow.

WTF! A MICHAEL BAY DISNEY MOVIE CUTSCENE IN MUH BALDURS GATE??!! DECLINE!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If I was Bioware I'd be trembling in my boots tbh
Considering BG3 almost feels like more of a spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins than a sequel to BG2 comparisons between BG3 and Dreadwolf will be inevitable. Assuming the game ever gets released.
Indeed. Dragon Ages, especially past the first one are generally disliked on the 'dex but I enjoyed them. That said, BioWare learnt all the wrong lessons and the answer to crappy combat mechanics was always dumbing them down so a 5 years old could play it. Fans complain the combat is subpar? THEY MUST BE RETARDED, DUMB IT DOWN. MAKE IT LIKE AN MMO. Fans still complain about the combat and that it feels like an MMO? THEY MUST BE RETARDED, DUMB IT DOWN, MAKE AWESOME WHEN LEFT MOUSE BUTTON PRESSED. Hence Dragon Age 4 is a straight action game. Then Larian comes, releases basically Dragon Age, except it doesn't treat its customers as complete retards, and wins all over. Bioware fucked itself, they didn't realize in time it's not their customers that are complete retards but themselves.

And to add further insult to injury, it is a Baldur's Gate sequel that makes Bioware look like hypocrites. The series that put them on the map. Must feel like a double whammy.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Out of the loop, haven't played the game in a few days, but... I just started a new character and is it just me or is the game completely different now? I have vastly more dialogue options than before, far more [Class] checks, the crime system seems to have more detail...
It's just you.

Did you not uninstall the Early Access before playing or something?

Lemming42

Arcane
I didn't have the EA, I bought it on release day. I swear to god, there's a ton of changes, I'm only at the grove and I've noticed maybe ten totally new dialogue options that I didn't have before, despite being the same class. I'm looking at the update page and can't see anything that would explain this.

If I somehow got stuck with some bizarro EA version for my whole first playthrough I will find and kill Swen.

Elthosian

Arcane

This is Larian humour for you. But they really restrained themselves this time, especially after Div OS 2 this game is a fresh air.

But still it's Larian writing, not their strongest suit. Forgetten Realms lore bits and most of things coming directly from first two games are OK at least.
At least they didn't make Avellone into a stretch goal only to scrap most of his writing. Went in expecting mediocre and got just that.

I didn't have the EA, I bought it on release day. I swear to god, there's a ton of changes, I'm only at the grove and I've noticed maybe ten totally new dialogue options that I didn't have before, despite being the same class. I'm looking at the update page and can't see anything that would explain this.

If I somehow got stuck with some bizarro EA version for my whole first playthrough I will find and kill Swen.

How far into the game were you with your first savegame? Anyway, if your savegames still work then most likely you were playing the correct version.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is a very fantastic take.
“You engage as little as you need to, and then you wonder why you’re not getting back what you had when you engaged more.”

It's true and I've caught myself doing this many times. It's just spoiling your game yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom