Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lemming42

Arcane
Shale is the only good DA companion but she's so good that she actually makes up for the enormous deadweight of everyone else.

Gradenmayer

Learned
The tadpoles were supposed to be a threat originally, since the ring that mindflayer gives you in underdark stopped its spread (now it’s a useless trinket).

They also scrapped Raphael’s system, where you could give him soul coins in exchange for various favours.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Rank the BG3 companions and DAO companions since the games are so similar. I haven't played DAO since about the time it came out

Top tier

T1. Alistar - My boy. Funny quips. Great banter with Morrigan. Good character development

T1. Morrigan - Good dialogue, banter, cool scene where she saves your ass at the end of the game

Decent

3. Leliana

4. Shadow Pussy

5. Sten

6. La'Zael

7. Vampire Fag

8. Minthara

9. Loghain Mac

Boring Tier

9. Oghren

10. Wynne

Embarrassing/Cringe tier

11. Bear faggot

12. Mage faggot

13. Elf (non vampire faggot)

14. Karlach

15. Black faggot
The funny thing is, if you hadn't said it was a DAO, I wouldn't have had any idea which elf you were talking about. Bioware had several of them and they were all equally shitty.

Don't tell me that bear isn't the worst companion. He has literally minimal content (and almost all of it is degenerate) because it's just a reddit meme.

It's hard to say anything about Minthar until she's fixed. She's permanently bugged in act 2 at the moment.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The tadpoles were supposed to be a threat originally, since the ring that mindflayer gives you in underdark stopped its spread (now it’s a useless trinket).

They also scrapped Raphael’s system, where you could give him soul coins in exchange for various favours.
Hell knows it really. It's really hard to say what their full plan was.
It's highly unlikely it ever had any major impact, especially since it was just an easily skipped side mission.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The DAO companions are the cookie cutter Bioware stereotypes they have in every fucking game.
Yeah but they're tried and true tropes that work for a reason. Unlike cringe Larian broken females and faggot men.

Every RPG needs a brother in arms like Alistar or Garrus. That genuine feeling of espirit de corps. If you make a fantasy/adventure game with a party and don't put that type of character in the game because you're too full of soy I'm deducting points from your game.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Rank the BG3 companions and DAO companions since the games are so similar. I haven't played DAO since about the time it came out

Top tier

T1. Alistar - My boy. Funny quips. Great banter with Morrigan. Good character development

T1. Morrigan - Good dialogue, banter, cool scene where she saves your ass at the end of the game

Decent

3. Leliana

4. Shadow Pussy

5. Sten

6. La'Zael

7. Vampire Fag

8. Minthara

9. Loghain Mac

Boring Tier

9. Oghren

10. Wynne

Embarrassing/Cringe tier

11. Bear faggot

12. Mage faggot

13. Elf (non vampire faggot)

14. Karlach

15. Black faggot
Why limit the scope like that? I’d put Dak’kon or Kitsuragi above any of these retards.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going back to that butthurt tweet by Sawyer where he promises how he will exploit, minmax and rest spam. Given the difficulty we find now, I think to myself, what a maroon. :)

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Average larian fan

[REDACTED]

Please don't post pictures of Codex members outside of GD. In fact, we prefer you not post them at all unless they're of yourself. Thank you. - Your Overlords

Last edited by a moderator:

La vie sexuelle

Learned

La quete de l'oiseau du temps is amazing. Remember sneaking them out of my parents room when they thought I was too young to read it. Good times.

You should buy "Peter Pan". It must be children comics :D
My parents also had those, and I also read them while not allowed :D

Good choice! :D

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...the-most-heroic-playthrough-says-lead-writer/

Baldur's Gate 3's chaotic Dark Urge origin is 'potentially the most heroic playthrough,' says lead writer​

I'm just going to have to trust him on this one.

Of all the origin character choices in Baldur's Gate 3, the Dark Urge is the weirdest. It isn't a character, really, but a state of mind. As the Dark Urge, you have no memories of your past at all, only a sense that you've done unspeakable things and that an unknown force within you wants you to continue spreading chaos and violence. Baldur's Gate 3's lead writer Adam Smith is currently playing his own Dark Urge character, and tells us that despite first impressions, this may be the most heroic of them all.

"I'm doing Dark Urge because I've done just about every combination of class, race, and background imaginable," Smith tells us during today's PC Gamer Chat Log podcast. He says he spent a lot of time playtesting the Dark Urge origin, too, but "never got to play it from beginning to end as a full, genuine true run without cheating."

Smith says he's all about roleplaying and loves the chaos of his Dark Urge Monk.

"I'm playing the Dark Urge who's resisting all the terrible things and is deeply regretful of all the terrible things that have happened," Smith says. I do love a tortured, remorseful hero.

And there are a lot urges he'll need to resist: One of the earliest things the Dark Urge can do is bite off Gale's arm instead of pulling him out of that magic portal you find him in. But Adam Smith doesn't want the Dark Urge to be misunderstood.

"When we first announced it, I was really desperate to try to tell people this isn't just the evil run," Smith tells us. It sure does feel like an evil run initially, from what I've seen, but Smith says that the Dark Urge has real potential for a good ending.

"To me—and I'll be as spoiler light as possible—the Dark Urge is potentially the most heroic playthrough, because resisting what's inside you and actually getting through that and surviving it with your friends alongside you still, most of them intact, is I think the most heroic version of the game."

"Potentially," Smith says, which I take to mean that yes you can absolutely play a chaotic awful Dark Urge all the way through to the end, but that if you're conscious and shrewd, those very urges may be what allows you to seal the deal on a good ending.

Personally, I'm nowhere near close to finishing the story as my non-Dark Urge character. If you are, and you're feeling spoilery and curious, check out our guide to the Baldur's Gate 3 endings. We've also not gotten through an entire Dark Urge run yet, mind, so maybe the best endings, if you believe Smith, are yet to be uncovered.

It should be default origin. In that case it would even better composed with rest of the story.

Only I read about this in old magazine. I never had Amiga. It shame that none of adaptation became really popular.
Mind explaining why French comics are written by simps? I remember reading Les feux d'Askell and characters lose their minds when there's a hint of vagina. Most of them exude the same lack of sexlife BG3 does, only for young French men instead of morbidly obese genderqueer oompaloompas. It's not in all comics aimed at the French market but it's common enough for one to take notice of it. Always preferred higher quality to the coomer shit myself, like Thorgal.

Losing mind over vagina doesn't mean that you are simp. That's Romanesque temperament. If you read them (BD) again or compare them with manga, you see difference - manga is about fantasy, about unattainable. Compensatory
fantasy. BD mirror our feelings. Besides, Les feux d'Askell is a bit an exception, even in Arleston bibliography. Most of hist characters, just like most of BD characters, fuck.

EDIT: Fedora, I have feeling that you have bad taste in comics.

Last edited:

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I literally had to restart my game half way through to get rid of all the cringe faggots Larian put in the game. And it highly limits my replay value because I can't really mix up my party.

Percy

Cipher
It's funny in retrospect, how basement connoiseurs screeched that there is no reactivity to being Drow in the Emerald Grove area, but when you go into Grymforge as a Human, everyone comments on your race.
There is almost no reactivity for halflings outside of jokes about being short. Drow got a lot, comparatively.

Raphael called me a pipsqueak

copebot

Learned
The reason why the evil companions are the only reasonably likable ones is because they're the only ones with somewhat believable motivations. The good ones don't really make any sense as characters because their motivations are just not believable.

Gale's background is like something written by an 8 year old boy that had some assistance in sexing up the concept by his 13-year-old brother. Like the 8 year old wrote the part about him having a bomb in his chest that would blow up the world if he didn't eat enough magic weapons and the 13 year old brother is how Gale is just so sexy because of his beard and his earring that he's banging the goddess of magic who has huge knockers.

The idea that good means putting others first in sacrifice of self is essentially postmodern-feminine and unheroic. Ancient portrayals of the tragic feminine hero would be like Cassandra (tells the truth in service of her people, is rebuked, goes mad), Dido (gives of herself freely to provide a future for her people under a strong king, Aeneas, but is spurned and cheated by the commands of the gods), Lucretia (kills herself to show that a Roman woman would rather die than be defiled; calls Romans to heroism to crush the evil Tarquins and so give everlasting freedom to all Romans), or Verginia (kills herself rather than submit to rape by the tyrannical judges; inspires the Romans to overthrow the tyrannical panel of judges). The ancient concept of the feminine hero is different from the masculine hero. The medieval Christian ideal of male and female heroism is not so far off from this.

The postmodern feminine heroic ideal is to sacrifice yourself for people you have never met so that they can go and be happy in some utilitarian way. Virtue doesn't really come into play because postmodern models of virtue are quite muddled. In BG3 (from what I have seen towards the end of Act I) the evil characters are the ones that are particularly devoted to some religious cult or to a martial people. The good characters are sentimental loner-narcissists obsessed with themselves and creating the appearance that they are good people.

As a side note, the notion that good characters also have to have an evil side is particularly confusing to children who are exposed to it in their japanimations or video games. Wyll's an example of this, in that he's supposed to be a good character, but he has made a pact with an obviously evil demon, obsessed with promoting his image as a perfect swashbuckling knight-errant. The evil characters are the only virtuous ones; it's just that they are dedicated to bad cultures.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Does playing as Dark Urge and ignoring the psycho options actually change anything?
I'm starting Act 3 and I've enjoyed the 'resisting the Urge' path a lot more than I enjoyed the part of custom Tav that I played, there's only one NPC that the Urge absolutely forces you to kill so far and the rest you can avoid with skill checks and have that choice acknowledged by the relevant NPCs in the game. It hasn't made a massive difference to the overall story but as long as you're long resting enough to see the events there's plenty of flavour text related to it.

Gradenmayer

Learned
The reason why the evil companions are the only reasonably likable ones is because they're the only ones with somewhat believable motivations. The good ones don't really make any sense as characters because their motivations are just not believable.

Gale's background is like something written by an 8 year old boy that had some assistance in sexing up the concept by his 13-year-old brother. Like the 8 year old wrote the part about him having a bomb in his chest that would blow up the world if he didn't eat enough magic weapons and the 13 year old brother is how Gale is just so sexy because of his beard and his earring that he's banging the goddess of magic who has huge knockers.

The idea that good means putting others first in sacrifice of self is essentially postmodern-feminine and unheroic. Ancient portrayals of the tragic feminine hero would be like Cassandra (tells the truth in service of her people, is rebuked, goes mad), Dido (gives of herself freely to provide a future for her people under a strong king, Aeneas, but is spurned and cheated by the commands of the gods), Lucretia (kills herself to show that a Roman woman would rather die than be defiled; calls Romans to heroism to crush the evil Tarquins and so give everlasting freedom to all Romans), or Verginia (kills herself rather than submit to rape by the tyrannical judges; inspires the Romans to overthrow the tyrannical panel of judges). The ancient concept of the feminine hero is different from the masculine hero. The medieval Christian ideal of male and female heroism is not so far off from this.

The postmodern feminine heroic ideal is to sacrifice yourself for people you have never met so that they can go and be happy in some utilitarian way. Virtue doesn't really come into play because postmodern models of virtue are quite muddled. In BG3 (from what I have seen towards the end of Act I) the evil characters are the ones that are particularly devoted to some religious cult or to a martial people. The good characters are sentimental loner-narcissists obsessed with themselves and creating the appearance that they are good people.

As a side note, the notion that good characters also have to have an evil side is particularly confusing to children who are exposed to it in their japanimations or video games. Wyll's an example of this, in that he's supposed to be a good character, but he has made a pact with an obviously evil demon, obsessed with promoting his image as a perfect swashbuckling knight-errant. The evil characters are the only virtuous ones; it's just that they are dedicated to bad cultures.
Well, too bad you didn’t actually play the fucking game, because Gale is quite a heroic guy, more than willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the world. Same as Wyll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom