Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Like the 8 year old wrote the part about him having a bomb in his chest that would blow up the world if he didn't eat enough magic weapons

That was interesting mechanic and had a lot of potential, ofc it was cut short and had terrible writing around it. "Pls give me magical items, but I'll not tell you why" :roll:

You can create a globohomo timeline just by tracking the type of companions and their "character" in RPGs. :lol:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The one thing I’ve read about it is that people complain about savescummin.
That means there’s a lot of dicerolls and I FUCKING LOVE IT!
I hate the dice rolls. Wasting a large of time with the dice roll animation on something that took less than a millisecond with just a basic random number generator and just displaying the result in the log. I want to play a game, not watch a movie.
Oh dear, I love the dicerolls. They really, really allow me to play my character. And I mean *play my character* not ^as my character^.

Not being able to do something? That’s what happens to the character, that’s your story. What ever it entails.
That’s the fun of an RPG; to be able go try out different things and *either* success or fail. Failure doesn’t stop your journey, it alters it. And that’s where the real fun is.

This is probably a thread of its own, but anyway…

I love the dice rolls too - if you don't "game" them and you take what's given, it's very immersive. My only beef, as with a lot of those types of things (like the unfurling r-click context menu) is that they're tuned for a new player, so they run at a snail's pace and have lots of little gaps for the new player to take in information. Developers should always try to have an option to speed all that stuff up, get rid of time gaps, etc., for players who're in the saddle with a game. Same as with animations - it's good to absorb the animation quality when you start playing, it gets you into the mood, but usually about a third of the way through a game after you've seen all the animations for a while, you want to speed all that shit up.

You might’ve just become my favorite
I hate the dice rolls. Wasting a large of time with the dice roll animation on something that took less than a millisecond with just a basic random number generator and just displaying the result in the log. I want to play a game, not watch a movie.
Oh dear, I love the dicerolls. They really, really allow me to play my character. And I mean *play my character* not ^as my character^.

Not being able to do something? That’s what happens to the character, that’s your story. What ever it entails.
That’s the fun of an RPG; to be able go try out different things and *either* success or fail. Failure doesn’t stop your journey, it alters it. And that’s where the real fun is.

I love the dice rolls too - if you don't "game" them and you take what's given, it's very immersive. My only beef, as with a lot of those types of things (like the unfurling r-click context menu) is that they're tuned for a new player, so they run at a snail's pace and have lots of little gaps for the new player to take in information. Developers should always try to have an option to speed all that stuff up, get rid of time gaps, etc., for players who're in the saddle with a game. Same as with animations - it's good to absorb the animation quality when you start playing, it gets you into the mood, but usually about a third of the way through a game after you've seen all the animations for a while, you want to speed all that shit up.
You might’ve just become one of my favorite ”new codexers”. :D

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This is how you know how sad things are today. This is the mod that turns Wyll--- WHITE! and preemptively without a single comment being made, the Woke faggots at NexusMods have locked the comments section because they know their rabid lefty users are going to start howling RAYCISS! Also: Get mod soon since it will surely be sent to the FBI for evaluation by someone as a potential hate crime before the end of the day...

"White Boi Wyll"

Capture3.JPG

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing bg1 and it has a day and night cycle.
Also it has no turn based combat and is just bland in comparison
Not to mention lack of skill checks outside of combat the absence of spells that are useful outside of combat lack of interaction with the envirovment.
lack of skill checks outside of combat - false.
Absence of spells that are useful outside of combat - also false. Charm unlocks alternative dialogues with some characters.

You revealed your ignorance, pasta-woman. Go away in shame.

The tadpoles were supposed to be a threat originally, since the ring that mindflayer gives you in underdark stopped its spread (now it’s a useless trinket).

They also scrapped Raphael’s system, where you could give him soul coins in exchange for various favours.
That sucks, but it's still very mild. Nothing comes close to From Software implementing player created bonfires in DS3 and than reverting that decision. May god forgive the Japanese's, because I won't.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
This is how you know how sad things are today. This is the mod that turns will WHITE and preemptively without a single comment the Woke faggots at NexusMods have locked the comments section because they know their rabid lefty users are going to start howling RAYCISS! Also: Get mod soon since it will surely be sent to the FBI for evaluation by someone as a potential hate crime before the end of the day...

"White Boi Wyll"

Wow I love Wyll now! Such a classic oldschool heroic trope!

Lodis

Educated
For all the praise about how much interactivity the game has, doing an evil playthrough is genuinely shit. You miss out on content and in some cases make things unnecessarily harder on yourself and the only unique thing you get in return is a half assed companion who is bugged as fuck so what little content she has doesn't even work properly.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny in retrospect, how basement connoiseurs screeched that there is no reactivity to being Drow in the Emerald Grove area, but when you go into Grymforge as a Human, everyone comments on your race.
They got the Duergar completely wrong. Even for mercenaries they're much too friendly.
Yeah, they should have attacked on sight, but Larian has played it as if they assume the Absolute has hired many different groups of mercs.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is how you know how sad things are today. This is the mod that turns will WHITE and preemptively without a single comment the Woke faggots at NexusMods have locked the comments section because they know their rabid lefty users are going to start howling RAYCISS! Also: Get mod soon since it will surely be sent to the FBI for evaluation by someone as a potential hate crime before the end of the day...

"White Boi Wyll"

View attachment 40272

Nice, unfortunately he still has a fick-lipped nigger voice actor (although to be scrupulously fair, he's quite a good actor). Hey-ho.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

You can speed them up though

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Tell me more!

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The way she's a bitch is what makes her seem like a real character, not someone put there to please you.

Sure, in some other game, here you get random approval for her in first hour of the game and she is talking about how you make her "heat, sweat and all the jazz in her cooch", then with just a simple persuasion check you completely change her worldview and she accepts feeding her more worms to the brain. If that is not terrible writing I can't imagine what people want as a proof of that, some badly translated eurojank or misspelled words all over the place?

Shadowblank is the same. Second time you talk to her and you got couple of approvals and she is talking how you changed her life. Bitch we just cleared some crypt to get the respec NPC and I have not even told you my name. I get the approval system is the main culprit, but good writing can get around that and cushion the overall retardness.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is how you know how sad things are today. This is the mod that turns Wyll--- WHITE! and preemptively without a single comment being made, the Woke faggots at NexusMods have locked the comments section because they know their rabid lefty users are going to start howling RAYCISS! Also: Get mod soon since it will surely be sent to the FBI for evaluation by someone as a potential hate crime before the end of the day...

"White Boi Wyll"

View attachment 40272
I told you it was a matter of time these mods come out, back in the Early Access thread :lol:

Also download it before it gets taken down.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The way she's a bitch is what makes her seem like a real character, not someone put there to please you.

Sure, in some other game, here you get random approval for her in first hour of the game and she is talking about how you make her "heat, sweat and all the jazz in her cooch", then with just a simple persuasion check you completely change her worldview and she accepts feeding her more worms to the brain. If that is not terrible writing I can't imagine what people want as a proof of than, some badly translated eurojank or misspelled words all over the place?

Shadowblank is the same. Second time you talk to her and you got couple of approvals and she is talking how you changed her life. Bitch we just cleared some crypt to get the respec NPC and I have not even told you my name. I get the approval system is the main culprit, but good writing can get around that and cushion the overall retardness.

I think it is more the speed of the approval rather than the writing per se. Approval is far too fast in the early game - there's a mod for that now, but it came close to ruining the companion interaction experience for me altogether in the early parts of Act 1.

I think her changing her mind if you're persuasive enough is alright provided that prior to that, you get the sense that she's coming to respect you. But really, she shouldn't be worm-persuadable till after the events in the monastery where the machine nearly kills her, then the queen sequence, etc..

mastroego

Arcane
Perhaps hirelings is the way to go.
I assume they're a lot more silent, and things being as they are this should not be a bad thing.

Unless they all too want to fuck you?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Tell me more!
I don't remember, just click or press space or something and it skips all the animations.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Perhaps hirelings is the way to go.
I assume they're a lot more silent, and things being as they are this should not be a bad thing.

Unless they all too want to fuck you?

It's probably not worth it because a) mechanically the companions are pretty solid b) they do say and do story-relevant things as you go, and c) while avoiding bumfuckery is a mini-game unto itself, it can be done (so it depends on your tolerance for just having the faggoty options there, that you have to adroitly avoid).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom