Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lodis

Educated
Perhaps hirelings is the way to go.
I assume they're a lot more silent, and things being as they are this should not be a bad thing.

Unless they all too want to fuck you?
No, for all intents and purposes they're just generic NPCs with stock dialogue. They try to explain in game this by saying that they're soulless husks of people that died and the Withers is just puppeteering their bodies. They do have unique backstories explaining who they are and how they died like the genderfluid tranny half-orc paladin.

mastroego

Arcane
Perhaps hirelings is the way to go.
I assume they're a lot more silent, and things being as they are this should not be a bad thing.

Unless they all too want to fuck you?

It's probably not worth it because a) mechanically the companions are pretty solid b) they do say and do story-relevant things as you go, and c) while avoiding bumfuckery is a mini-game unto itself, it can be done (so it depends on your tolerance for just having the faggoty options there, that you have to adroitly avoid).
Yes but it's a minigame I don't want to play.
About plot relevant interjections, yes it sucks but I assume the game can be completed nonetheless, and build-effectiveness is only relevant as an additional difficulty slider, so to speak.

For all the praise about how much interactivity the game has, doing an evil playthrough is genuinely shit. You miss out on content and in some cases make things unnecessarily harder on yourself and the only unique thing you get in return is a half assed companion who is bugged as fuck so what little content she has doesn't even work properly.
You don't need to go trope evil playthrough to get her. I went with a powerhungry charlatan wizard middle build and helped both camp, gave Minthara the coordinates to the druid camp. Helped druid camp with their isolation guile quest. Stole everything in both camp, freed Halsin. But after realizing that neither camp or Halsin could help my character with the tadpole problem I just moved on to underdark and mountain road and Moonrise tower. And Minthara was still available.

Larianshill

Arbiter
For all the praise about how much interactivity the game has, doing an evil playthrough is genuinely shit. You miss out on content and in some cases make things unnecessarily harder on yourself and the only unique thing you get in return is a half assed companion who is bugged as fuck so what little content she has doesn't even work properly.
Evil playthrough is fucking awful. I was one of the many, many people who consistently posted feedback on why exactly it's awful, and why does it feel so unrewarding (1) there are no rewards, 2) you are siding with people who hate and hunt you, for no rewards), but apparently Larian decided not to listen to anything. At least there's Mintharra, but she's not evil exclusive.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Minthara is evil exclusive. If you help goblins kill tieflings that's an evil route.

There should definitely be more of a difference between good and evil. You lose out on content, get no extra content. No one including shops and merchants react to you being evil. Definitely another negative mark against this game.

There is no way this game is above an 8/10. It does not do everything well. It has its good and bad.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
You don't need to go trope evil playthrough to get her. I went with a powerhungry charlatan wizard middle build and helped both camp, gave Minthara the coordinates to the druid camp. Helped druid camp with their isolation guile quest. Stole everything in both camp, freed Halsin. But after realizing that neither camp or Halsin could help my character with the tadpole problem I just moved on to underdark and mountain road and Moonrise tower. And Minthara was still available.

She isn't available, actually. Its bugged as fuck. Try to add her to your party and start combat and you will soon see why this is not viable. She is -never- a combatant and it breaks the game. t.- did this already and paid for it.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Did I just make something up but didn't larian say that only 2 companions are mutually exclusive?
On the other hand, if you destroy the grove, you lose 3 companions in exchange for one.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

She isn't available, actually. Its bugged as fuck. Try to add her to your party and start combat and you will soon see why this is not viable. She is -never- a combatant and it breaks the game. t.- did this already and paid for it.
Also you don't get the minthara romance and no one slurps the D as good as that drow slut

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah don't think you can have nigga, teenager devil or bear homo in party same time with drow mommy
think this is an argument for recruiting drow mommy even though her character does not have much content

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Did I just make something up but didn't larian say that only 2 companions are mutually exclusive?
On the other hand, if you destroy the grove, you lose 3 companions in exchange for one.

Minthara or Halsin. Choose! Although technically you are correct that Minthara is a very weighty choice because you loose Halsin, Wyll, Karlach, and potentially Shart (love that nickname!) and Gale too. So that bitch costs a LOT. I hope Drow pussy is really good. :-D

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whew, be gone for six days, 100 new pages...

I'm slowly progressing through the Shadowlands.

There was this encounter with 12 shadows that obliterated two of my characters in the first round. Reload, turn undead wirh Shadowheart, and get tons of exp.

There was an encounter near a chest, too. All characters failed a perception check, party gets surprised. This battle also required a reload, but was doable once I knew what was coming.

I haven't had any sex talk from companions in the last 25 hours. Just adventuring.

It's still a solid 8/10.

Deeper thoughts might come at a much later point.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
yeah don't think you can have nigga, teenager devil or bear homo in party same time with drow mommy
think this is an argument for recruiting drow mommy even though her character does not have much content
Losing those characters is a big plus besides the missing content. But only Wylls content is actually good

Rhobar121

Scholar
Okay now I know where I got it from
https://gamerant.com/baldurs-gate-3-companion-death-exclusive/
No matter what, though, players will be forced to choose between two companions at some point in the game. While he did not diverge who specifically for spoiler reasons, he did confirm that to recruit one specific companion, another has to be killed.
There are two companions that you can never have in the same party because one is only available if you kill the other.
Now I'm sure something is really bugged, or it requires some really retarded sequence.

Arkeus

Arcane
Gale is just. Such a wizard.

Start of as contrite in his mistake, and the very second he believes he has a chance to make a come back. He just can't help himself. It's incredible.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Minthara or Halsin. Choose! Although technically you are correct that Minthara is a very weighty choice because you loose Halsin, Wyll, Karlach, and potentially Shart (love that nickname!) and Gale too. So that bitch costs a LOT. I hope Drow pussy is really good. :-D
Drow pussy is the best

That is true, you are right about this. But she's still in camp.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Minthara should definitely be more fleshed out and have extra content (missions) to offset the loss of content and give more motivation for extra playthroughs. Haslin doesn't need extra content since he's pretty much just a meme for degenerate weirdos.

Minthara actually is relatively interesting too

Larianshill

Arbiter
Just because she's bugged as fuck doesn't mean she's evil exclusive. In a month, she'll be working just fine if you skip the grove, but the goblin route will still suck balls.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Game is unfinished. People keep discovering so much cut content in the game. Act 3 super rushed with no ending slides.
Game could be way better with a definite edition. Fixing all the major bugs obviously. Tactician+. Better act 3. Improve the ending with slides. More content especially for Minthara/evil. I'd consider bumping the game up to an 8.5 or even 9 even with the main story and party flaws

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom