Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Herumor

Scholar
There is no question that Larian blew their load regarding class and race interactivity in act 1. Everything after falls sharply. By act 3 race or class rarely comes in conversations at all, and this is with Lolth sworn cleric drow no one comments on drow or lolth at all in act 3.
I've so far played a Lolth-Sworn Drow and Dragonborn, and the Drow has vastly more interactions and reactivity.

Anyone know which other races have a decent amount of interactivity?

Vatnik Wumao
There is no question that Larian blew their load regarding class and race interactivity in act 1. Everything after falls sharply. By act 3 race or class rarely comes in conversations at all, and this is with Lolth sworn cleric drow no one comments on drow or lolth at all in act 3.
I've so far played a Lolth-Sworn Drow and Dragonborn, and the Drow has vastly more interactions and reactivity.

Anyone know which other races have a decent amount of interactivity?
Duergar, plus it benefits from Dwarven reactivity too (although the latter isn't much thus far). Duergar stuff is mostly tied to the Underdark, although you do get a few remarks here and there in the rest of act 1 too. Dunno beyond act 1 yet.

Orion

Cipher
There's no way around making the NPCs playersexual once you move to body types 1 2 3 4 instead of male or female.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

For as much as the more modern Bioware games get criticized (and there is plenty to complain about), Larian could never deliver a scene like this. One of my favorite scenes in all of Mass Effect. Larian cannot develop party members and emulate that feeling of friendship/brotherhood like Bioware. Here is the Larian version which I'm sure we're all (unfortunately) aware of

Night and fucking Day. Absoulute cringe fest. Larian couldn't deliver a single moment of male bonding/comradery that wasn't cringe and gay as fuck. I see the faggots and trannies have given up trying to defend this absolute embarrassment. "Just say no." "Avoid the gay options." So is there a single moment of comradery that doesn't delve into faggotry? "No but that doesn't matter. Quit trying to be so anti-woke"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That moment when you sold all that infernal metal in Act 1 because one didn't know it becomes relevant in Act 2 if you met Dammon again at the Last Light Inn. :0-13:
He did tell you so when you installed the first part in Karlach to save all the infernal metal you can find

Shaki

Arbiter

Lmao, Redditors are uber butthurt about the white Wyll mod, very funny thread to read

Night and fucking Day. Absoulute cringe fest. Larian couldn't deliver a single moment of male bonding/comradery that wasn't cringe and gay as fuck. I see the faggots and trannies have given up trying to defend this absolute embarrassment. "Just say no." "Avoid the gay options." So is there a single moment of comradery that doesn't delve into faggotry? "No but that doesn't matter. Quit trying to be so anti-woke"

Aren't majority of their writers trannies/gays? They probably can't write a male friendship without faggotry, because they never experienced that themselves

Lemming42

Arcane
Please stop talking about gay sex with Gayle
Is there any male comradery that doesn't develop into faggotry?
I don't know because I stopped talking to half the companions but I feel like I've heard about this erotic Gale encounter seven hundred thousand times now.

I was surprised by it too because the game does a terrible job of communicating his intent so you don't know what you're getting into, but it's like a three-second scene in an early part of the game that never comes up again. I'm sure if you talk to Gale afterwards you can have a BioWare style cameraderie (eg exchange pleasantries at camp and occasionally get a loredump).

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
But this, and arguably companions/soundtrack are pretty much only things BG2 does better.

Arguably? Bg2 is so far ahead in those areas it might as well be in another universe.

BG3 does a lot of things very well but companions and especially music isn't it. The music is some of the most mid shit I've ever heard and I genuinely wonder what has happened here. I'm not familiar with the composer so maybe someone else can elucidate but why are the compositions so very simplistic? It's like it's babby's first synthesiser a lot of the time. Like much of BG3 there are flashes of greatness but we quickly return to something much more anodyne and boring. Is it the composer that is incompetent or the audio director that has asked for this?

It's not only the individual tracks themselves but how they relate to each other, the overall theme, providing a sense of place, etc. It's like it's mostly not intended to be music at all but rather audio filler.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Please stop talking about gay sex with Gayle
Is there any male comradery that doesn't develop into faggotry?
I don't know because I stopped talking to half the companions but I feel like I've heard about this erotic Gale encounter seven hundred thousand times now.

I was surprised by it too because the game does a terrible job of communicating his intent so you don't know what you're getting into, but it's like a three-second scene in an early part of the game that never comes up again. I'm sure if you talk to Gale afterwards you can have a BioWare style cameraderie (eg exchange pleasantries at camp and occasionally get a loredump).
Even if you could it's already ruined because he propositioned you for gay sex. And secondly, no there aren't any scenes of male comradery that aren't gay as fuck.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
That moment when you sold all that infernal metal in Act 1 because one didn't know it becomes relevant in Act 2 if you met Dammon again at the Last Light Inn. :0-13:
He did tell you so when you installed the first part in Karlach to save all the infernal metal you can find

Well, I killed Karlach on sight because those "Paladins" in the toll house and the "Blade of Tyr" were very convincing.

Incendax

Augur
Not obvious enough that he tells you to hold onto it so he can make shit for you later? :D

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Another things BG3 dropped the ball on in regards to party interractions is getting to influence the alignment of party members. This is only possible with shadow heart. This has been a feature in games for decades. You could influence multiple party members alignment to more closely reflect your own. Very limited presence of that in here. Man what a shit party system this game has. It gets worse the more you analyze it.

Vatnik Wumao
Not obvious enough that he tells you to hold onto it so he can make shit for you later? :D
It's common sense to keep all the items that are obviously meant to be armor crafting materials tbh, with or without a NPC bringing it to your attention.

Shaki

Arbiter
But this, and arguably companions/soundtrack are pretty much only things BG2 does better.

Arguably? Bg2 is so far ahead in those areas it might as well be in another universe.

BG3 does a lot of things very well but companions and especially music isn't it. The music is some of the most mid shit I've ever heard and I genuinely wonder what has happened here. I'm not familiar with the composer so maybe someone else can elucidate but why are the compositions so very simplistic? It's like it's babby's first synthesiser a lot of the time. Like much of BG3 there are flashes of greatness but we quickly return to something much more anodyne and boring. Is it the composer that is incompetent or the audio director that has asked for this?

It's not only the individual tracks themselves but how they relate to each other, the overall theme, providing a sense of place, etc. It's like it's mostly not intended to be music at all but rather audio filler.
I say arguably because I don't need Grauken and Non-Edgy-Gaymer to start quoting my post and screeching for the next 30 pages that akshually I'm wrong because blahblahblah game of the decade best companions evah and did you see that tranny making a flute cover of BG3 music, no tranny made covers of BG2 music because it's much more forgettable you just coping because of nostaliga blahblahblah and shit like this

I had enough of this for at least a couple of days

Lemming42

Arcane
Even if you could it's already ruined because he propositioned you for gay sex. And secondly, no there aren't any scenes of male comradery that aren't gay as fuck.
There's not really any cameraderie between anyone, be it male/male, male/female or female/female, since everyone has the same dialogue toward you no matter what.

It's definitely a legit criticism to make of the game that there's no way to actually befriend most companions, but I dunno why there's this fixation on Gale's cock in particular. You can't make Karlach into your best chum either, nor can female characters form a deep sisterly bond with Lae'zel or whoever. Basically all the companions are just like "fuck me" at the party scene and then ignore you for the next month and a half if you tell them no, Gale's not unique in that regard. Like you're going on about "faggots" 24/7 but disregarding the fact that you can't form a male/female or female/female friendship either, literally all interactions of any kind with any of the companions are doomed.

One thing I did notice is that the dialogue from the companions is like crazily self-centred. The player sort of dumbly asks bland questions that let the companion go on a five-hour expository diatribe. I guess that's also pretty BioWare-y but at least in DAO and ME1 it felt like you were kind of an active participant in the conversations, rather than just a recipient of exposition.

The worst thing I can say about BG3 is that it's actually making me want to replay the Dragon Age games, wtf.

Incendax

Augur
It's common sense to keep all the items that are obviously meant to be armor crafting materials tbh, with or without a NPC bringing it to your attention.
Fuck, if anything I keep too much crap in case it's useful somewhere. Oooolld RPG habit.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3s-lead-writer-on-romances-sex-is-not-the-goal-its-just-sex/

Baldur's Gate 3's lead writer on romances: 'sex is not the goal, it's just sex'​

"I know we made them too thirsty," he jokes. (But I disagree.)

"I know we made them too thirsty," Baldur's Gate 3's lead writer Adam Smith jokes about the RPG's companion characters. "We're aware of it. The internet has told us this." We spoke with Smith during yesterday's PC Gamer Chat log podcast, where he shared his thoughts on the nuances of party relationships in Baldur's Gate 3.

"One of the reasons I think they come across as forward is that we did want them to be the person who comes to you," he says, describing Larian's approach to romantic relationships between players and their party members. "We wanted them to initiate a lot of the time rather than you saying, 'I'm bringing you things and that means that I want to sleep with you.'"

"I know we made them too thirsty," Baldur's Gate 3's lead writer Adam Smith jokes about the RPG's companion characters. "We're aware of it. The internet has told us this." We spoke with Smith during yesterday's PC Gamer Chat log podcast, where he shared his thoughts on the nuances of party relationships in Baldur's Gate 3.

"One of the reasons I think they come across as forward is that we did want them to be the person who comes to you," he says, describing Larian's approach to romantic relationships between players and their party members. "We wanted them to initiate a lot of the time rather than you saying, 'I'm bringing you things and that means that I want to sleep with you.'"

Astarion's story in particular is a dark one. He hints at his history early on, being a slave of the vampire who created him. His relationship with sex and intimacy are fraught as a result, which we've also gotten to hear about in an interview with Neil Newbon, his voice actor.

"We have a bunch of different versions of what a good romance scene is, I hope," Smith says. "Sometimes you start with the sex and end with the hook. Because actually you're breaking down barriers. And sex is not the goal, it's just sex. It can be very meaningful for some people. To some people it's not the most meaningful thing. To some people the most meaningful thing is you saying to them, 'I will never leave you.'"

As an enjoyer of romanceable companions, it is great to see a game like Baldur's Gate 3 sidestep the 'one size fits all' approach to party entanglements. Because yeah, maybe I do want to take Lae'zel up on her one night stand and also get to know Wyll better. And just in case you forgot who may come calling, check out our guide to all the Baldur's Gate 3 romances you can pursue.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
There's not really any cameraderie between anyone, be it male/male, male/female or female/female, since everyone has the same dialogue toward you no matter what.

It's definitely a legit criticism to make of the game that there's no way to actually befriend most companions, but I dunno why there's this fixation on Gale's cock in particular. You can't make Karlach into your best chum either, nor can female characters form a deep sisterly bond with Lae'zel or whoever. Basically all the companions are just like "fuck me" at the party scene and then ignore you for the next month and a half if you tell them no, Gale's not unique in that regard. Like you're going on about "faggots" 24/7 but disregarding the fact that you can't form a male/female or female/female friendship either, literally all interactions of any kind with any of the companions are doomed.

One thing I did notice is that the dialogue from the companions is like crazily self-centred. The player sort of dumbly asks bland questions that let the companion go on a five-hour expository diatribe. I guess that's also pretty BioWare-y but at least in DAO and ME1 it felt like you were kind of an active participant in the conversations, rather than just a recipient of exposition.

The worst thing I can say about BG3 is that it's actually making me want to replay the Dragon Age games, wtf.
I mean I only play male characters like most players and a (non blood) brotherly bond is way more iconic and substantial than a female sisterly bond. Especially in the context of battle and adventure. Definitely more of a male thing but if female players wanted to bring up that criticism I wouldn't disagree. But yeah male comradery is way more important to have in a game when the player base is like 80% male.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Lmao, Redditors are uber butthurt about the white Wyll mod, very funny thread to read

Like a fucking train that is NEVER late, what did I tell you? I knew the screeching would start immediately. Whitoids that love niggers this much should be forced to live in the projects so they can be next to their "pets". Interestingly, the ones yelling the loudest have absolutely NO exposure to real "diversity", funny that...

EDIT: And as I predicted too, they are encouraging brigading NexusMods with "Report!" of racism / harrassment. Because if there is one thing that the left does best it is crying to the men with guns to enforce their will at gunpoint. Which is why every single one of them needs to go against the wall, they would do the same to you in an instant if allowed.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Can't have a male/female or female/female friendship either.
Bro who wants to be bros with a girl lmao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom