Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Barbarian

Arcane
Even wearing the same helmet and armor from the first game. As if he hasn't learned anything or changed at all after all that happened. They completely took a dump on his redemption arc and moody endings he had in ToB
There was some Wizards book about the Baldur's Gate characters, and he was in it I think he was a homeless junke and went back into Bhaal worship.
So its not Larian changing the plot, they are following up from that one book.

Wasn't it established that that BS was noncanonical fanfic despite being published by Wotc?
It was established people at Larian have read it. Someone was tweeting about it.
No idea if it was taken, but its a possible reason for why that guy was in that place wearing those clothes doing that job.

Some of the crap in there would have been even worse if they had followed up on it.

Imagine Imoen showing up as a vampire randomly. Irenicus and Bodhi are still alive somehow even. Though you are right that both Viconia and Sarevok seem to have been brought back on that basis, which was utter shite - both remaining one dimensional villains ignoring all changes some players uptook.
How did Imoen become a vampire?

Prepare yourself for utter retardation:

• Valygar and Xan both work for Candlekeep. Valygar has taken potions of longevity to continue his hunt for evil wizards. Xan, who is a "Blessed of Corellon," meaning his gender changes sometimes throughout his life, hopes to find a worthy heir for his moonblade before journeying to Evermeet.
  • Kivan and Faldorn are both members of the Emerald Enclave. Kivan is now married to Cernd and is attempting to expose Faldorn as an evil Shadow Druid.
  • Jaheira continues to serve the Harpers.
  • Minsc and Boo were petrified and spent nearly a century as a statue in Waterdeep before being freed. They are now members of an order known as the Knights of Bahamut.
  • Irenicus and Bodhi were placed in the Domains of Dread by the Dark Powers of Ravenloft. They now exist in a dark mirror of Suldanessellar. Irenicus is now a lich.
  • Montaran and Xzar have also returned from death and are members of the Shadow Thieves. Xzar has become a demilich which Montaran keeps in a bag of holding. There's also an insane simulacrum of Xzar running around.
  • Imoen also is a member of the Shadow Thieves. She was transformed into a vampire by Bodhi but has retained her good alignment.
  • Edwin now has the longevity of an elf, thanks to the Nether Scrolls. He is once more in good relationship with Thay and has taken over Razamith's Tower in Baldur's Gate.
  • Kagain is now a worshiper of Bhaal and leads an unscrupulous band of mercenaries in Baldur's Gate.
  • Saemon Havarion sold his soul to Baalzebul in exchange for long-life and fortune and is now desperately looking for a way out of the deal.
  • Sarevok became a homeless drug addict in Baldur's Gate until Bhaal, reborn, found him and made him a high priest of his clergy.
  • Viconia has started working with the cults of Elemental Evil to further the will of Shar.

Xan a gender bending tranny, Kivan in a gay marriage with Cernd(weren't bothe of them straight? Cernd even previously married and with a kid?) and other such woke retconnery.

Barbarian

Arcane
ITT, the fag elf mage whom you meet in the game is heavily implied to be Edwin - going by that material.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Even wearing the same helmet and armor from the first game. As if he hasn't learned anything or changed at all after all that happened. They completely took a dump on his redemption arc and moody endings he had in ToB
There was some Wizards book about the Baldur's Gate characters, and he was in it I think he was a homeless junke and went back into Bhaal worship.
So its not Larian changing the plot, they are following up from that one book.

Wasn't it established that that BS was noncanonical fanfic despite being published by Wotc?
It was established people at Larian have read it. Someone was tweeting about it.
No idea if it was taken, but its a possible reason for why that guy was in that place wearing those clothes doing that job.

Some of the crap in there would have been even worse if they had followed up on it.

Imagine Imoen showing up as a vampire randomly. Irenicus and Bodhi are still alive somehow even. Though you are right that both Viconia and Sarevok seem to have been brought back on that basis, which was utter shite - both remaining one dimensional villains ignoring all changes some players uptook.
How did Imoen become a vampire?

Prepare yourself for utter retardation:

• Valygar and Xan both work for Candlekeep. Valygar has taken potions of longevity to continue his hunt for evil wizards. Xan, who is a "Blessed of Corellon," meaning his gender changes sometimes throughout his life, hopes to find a worthy heir for his moonblade before journeying to Evermeet.
  • Kivan and Faldorn are both members of the Emerald Enclave. Kivan is now married to Cernd and is attempting to expose Faldorn as an evil Shadow Druid.
  • Jaheira continues to serve the Harpers.
  • Minsc and Boo were petrified and spent nearly a century as a statue in Waterdeep before being freed. They are now members of an order known as the Knights of Bahamut.
  • Irenicus and Bodhi were placed in the Domains of Dread by the Dark Powers of Ravenloft. They now exist in a dark mirror of Suldanessellar. Irenicus is now a lich.
  • Montaran and Xzar have also returned from death and are members of the Shadow Thieves. Xzar has become a demilich which Montaran keeps in a bag of holding. There's also an insane simulacrum of Xzar running around.
  • Imoen also is a member of the Shadow Thieves. She was transformed into a vampire by Bodhi but has retained her good alignment.
  • Edwin now has the longevity of an elf, thanks to the Nether Scrolls. He is once more in good relationship with Thay and has taken over Razamith's Tower in Baldur's Gate.
  • Kagain is now a worshiper of Bhaal and leads an unscrupulous band of mercenaries in Baldur's Gate.
  • Saemon Havarion sold his soul to Baalzebul in exchange for long-life and fortune and is now desperately looking for a way out of the deal.
  • Sarevok became a homeless drug addict in Baldur's Gate until Bhaal, reborn, found him and made him a high priest of his clergy.
  • Viconia has started working with the cults of Elemental Evil to further the will of Shar.

Xan a gender bending tranny, Kivan in a gay marriage with Cernd(weren't bothe of them straight? Cernd even previously married and with a kid?) and other such woke retconnery.
The Kivan/Cernd thing was the weirdest part of a book with a lot of weird parts to choose from, did they just roll dice to decide who would hook up with who?

HammyTheFat

Scholar
should player be allowed to travel to both grim forge and monastery? Feels like there should be choice involved, as in quest failure mechanics that is already implemented

Actually many players only went through one or the other because it is implied in the game that they are mutually exclusive paths.

Grunker mentioned himself as an example.
Grunker saved me from this thankfully.

I enjoyed using sunbeam on the shittons of undead in act 2.

potatojohn

Arcane
Ok, let's not delude ourselves thinking anything we say here has any bearing on the development of a future RPG with the budget and scope of BG3. Anyone who decides to participate here is autistically screeching into the void one way or another. With that said I'm still gonna be shitting on the writing because that's my opinion and go fuck yourself.

It probably has *some* bearing, it just depends on the subject. Devs read Codex, just as they read Reddit and Resetera, and generally as a dev you want to cater to as many people as possible. Sure, no one will remove trannies from the game and piss off a milion redditors just to satisfy some small niche, culture war topics are mostly pointless to discuss, but if you're a dev and see thousands autists on an RPG forums complain about some issue like the tactician being too easy, you might as well throw them some uber-tactician difficulty setting in the next game, since it doesn't cost you much and doesn't piss anyone, etc. Also even if the effect on AAA RPGs is small, majority of RPGs still come from the indie scene, and these games are often heavily impacted by what devs read on some niche internet forum, so any discussion might have an effect on the scene as a whole. If you don't like trannies in BG3, it's probably worth saying it, just so other smaller devs know that there is still a niche interested in non-trannyfied games.

When I picture devs checking in with the Codex, I picture it like one of those movie scenes where you have like the Forbidden Dangerous Object in a sealed vault capable of withstanding a direct nuclear hit, sitting in a force field, tied up with chains and a thousand safeguards and palm recognition devices, with clamps coming off the thing blowing steam ;)

And then afterwards, the dev has to go through a decontamination procedure and a special interview with the HR department like the Replicant interview in Bladerunner.
7wq69p.jpg

Shaki

Arbiter
It's basically a fanfic that got published by Wizards.

umm-wait.gif

Larian's cuck writing team used it as canon,
going by how Sarevok, Viconia and Edwin are in the game. Edwin is literally described as an elf and the owner of razamith's tower for instance - "Lorroakan" or what was his name
I wouldn't be surprised if WotC told them its canon and they should use it, there is a reason why they published this garbage in the first place, they love it.

MerchantKing

Learned

umm-wait.gif

going by how Sarevok, Viconia and Edwin are in the game. Edwin is literally described as an elf and the owner of razamith's tower for instance - "Lorroakan" or what was his name
But didn't Eliminster turn Edwin into a woman after which he spent his days as a moping tavern wench in waterdeep?

Barbarian

Arcane

umm-wait.gif

But didn't Eliminster turn Edwin into a woman after which he spent his days as a moping tavern wench in waterdeep?

That shit book says Edwin is "impersonating Lorroakan" who is an established character supposed to be a loser mage. Literally. He is also the owner of Sorcerous sundires and now inhabiting Ramazith's tower.

Then in the game we meet this pompous faggot buffoon mage who is wearing all red, surrounded by summons(Edwin was a conjurer), is named Lorroakan and has Edwin's personality down to a T.

So yeah, Larrian used that book as reference and Lorroakan is Edwin, though that is not explicit in the game.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
LMAO. I think Gortash bugged out too...?

:hmmm:

He was doing a lot of "standing there, not doing much" strategy. Well, at least he attacked more than once, so that's better than Orin.
I just defeated the two anime bosses with the power of bugs.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
They're some of the easiest fights in the game, you didn't miss out on anything
I honestly don't know what was happening on the screen there, so it's hard to judge.
I didn't even deal with the robot factory. Good move, because it doesn't really influence the fight all that much. You can kill the robots outside without provoking Gortash. That leaves only the one inside.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Where is vampire Imoen? Why is Viconia head of some temple instead of off trolling the Underdark for allies with stupid names? Why is Jaheria an active Harper agent, and not "relatively youthful" in appearance?

This is Jaheira, according to that book:
fdGxZe2.png

Look at Jaheira in-game and tell me this was a source.

Minsc was already alive per actual 5E lore. Viconia and Jaheira have elven longevity, that's why they can still be alive.

Edwin isn't in BG3. Lorroakan is from 5E's Murder in Baldur's Gate and acts nothing like Edwin, whom the book claims he replaced. If Edwin were already immortal due to the nether scroll, he wouldn't be looking for the Nightsong so that he could become immortal, which is what Lorroakan is doing.

Again, this is just some faggot fanfic book. I wish people would quit bringing it up as anything other than evidence for how crap Wizards is as a publisher.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I've done a little research, and most of this supplement seems to come from "Heroes of Baldur's Gate" by the same author, which is not an official campaign.

This book was slapped together as part of a charity fund raiser.

I made it to Baldur's Gate. I want to dick Orin down so fucking hard m8s. Since she's a shapeshifter she could even morph into a bear. Imagine the possibilities.
Gortash is like that dude who thinks it's okay to be a goth when you're pushing 40.
And also, dopplegangers are back, picking up that loose thread that was possibly one of the most interesting plot details of bg1, so yeah :M

Edit: oh man. Orin even has a cockring dagger

bloodthirst-bg3-2.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
should player be allowed to travel to both grim forge and monastery? Feels like there should be choice involved, as in quest failure mechanics that is already implemented

Actually many players only went through one or the other because it is implied in the game that they are mutually exclusive paths.

Grunker mentioned himself as an example.
maybe if you go murder hobo.

myself I just infiltrated/talked my way through without picking a side. It appears that you can make it all the way to grim forge without combat(once you escape illithids)!
So for my playthrough
I get all the way to grim forge
I learn that while there is an elevator, there is some fog and i lack protection
After exploring well I finally pick a side - duergar rebels. I got lantern but no fuel
So i backtrack, i side with mushrooms
I continue backtracking, side with druids
fine, i guess ill go after githyanki
never felt it was implayed at all. Now I'm looking at this darkness and started to think about my progression so far
You can entirely clear both grimforge and the monastery.

Parabalus

Arcane
LMAO. I think Gortash bugged out too...?

:hmmm:

He was doing a lot of "standing there, not doing much" strategy. Well, at least he attacked more than once, so that's better than Orin.
If you side with one of them

They do nothing and get whacked by the brain as an afterthought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom