Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the outskirts area, past Act II.

I killed a random Sharran guy who recognizes SH, after he had told me he will alert the local Sharran branch he has seen her, and then broke off conversation. The crime system kicked in and I rolled a 20 on an intimidation check, so I was let go. Taking your bets on whether there will be reactivity to him never managing to break the news.

7yEOTT1.jpg

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You have gimmick bosses (auntie), use-the-mechanics bosses (giant spider), a possible siege, a goblin genocide that actually can be quite fun if you play your cards right.
I can see what you mean but I played all those fights as "beat it until it dies". On Tactician.
I'll be fair. The first big map and the low-level adventure has been the high point. Shadowcursed lands felt way more linear than they should have been, and from what I've seen of the outskirts, it's a Bacchanalia of Woke fantasy fulfillment. As if they thought wokesters are a core demography. Actually, their writers likely did think just that.
Accurate.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Minthara is fixed now or it's all cosmetics?

Apparently they covered her tits more or some shit.

What you mean?

- Made Minthara's camp top ever-so-slightly less revealing.

She had some Side-Boob showing but that is no good! Massive tranny dicks, a-ok. Bear fuckers, fine. Side boob, RHEEEEEEEE!(cetera)

Pic related is FAR too edgy in a cis-hetero way.
View attachment 40553

Erm, isn't it a feature that you can make them all look naked all the time, or make them seem to be walking around in underwear?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
More detailed rant about writing:

- Somebody clearly confused "more of everything" and "more epic" with quality.
- As a result the whole thing lacks focus and feels like a messy capeshit fanfic and not a level 1-12 adventure. FFS, Act II boss is an avatar of Myrkul. Short timespan of the adventure makes it even more ridiculous.
- If themes in this overbloated mess are explored, they often are undermined by awful writing.
Example 1 - Player character (optionally) turning into a good illithid, with a possibility of "I'm just the good old me!" roleplay ruins the alien horror of illithids. So does a shirtless illithid trying to seduce me, but at least it's an another type of horror.
Example 2 - Karlach's background makes hell sound like an alright place, because apparently you can survive it without a serious trauma (for 10 years!). All you need is a good attitude and some luv of fightin'.

- Three initial companions have "I was super cool and strong but now I'm weak again" background. Again, somebody on the team truly believes more "epic" means better. It's pointless. Embarrassing. It belongs in bad fanfiction.
- Some of these backgrounds could be a hook for a short module. Again, it adds even more to the overall mess. Shove more shit. Don't explore it properly.
- Companions are made worse because of bad design, bugs and cut content. Romances activating by having casual conversations, Gale talking about your night together that never took place, etc.

- Incoherence possibly caused by rewrites, mostly relating to Guardian, Emperor, tadpoles in general.
- Tadpole powers, lol. Also, this whole gimmick doesn't influence the story at all.
- Some stuff just makes zero sense and contradicts points made by the game earlier. Emperor has no reason to join the brain if you free Orpheus, it's a guaranteed slavery for him, he should just leave. Again, maybe a rewrite issue?

- Some pointless profanation of classic characters. Sarevok being a flat caricature of a bhaal cultist.
- I could do a whole rant about world building, but I will leave it alone for now. Sometimes it's hard to separate Larian problems from WotC problems.
Your instincts about rewrites are correct. The Guardian was rewritten entirely in between EA and release, and The Guardian's true identity was different in EA than it is now. Tadpole shit also seems to have been rewritten/redesigned since in EA there was a ring meant to stop the tadpole from progressing but now there's no consequences and the ring just gives you a cast of charm. I completely agree with you that this is the worst written main story in any RPG, the reveals and twists in act 3 shattered any investment or immersion I had in the game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
This was actually the first well-written atmosphere-setter dialogue for the situation, and I had to go to the edge of the map to find the character:

1692992217553.png

And you actually do get to reply anything you want on the woke / blood-and-soil spectrum:

1692992341497.png

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
there's no way you can skip
you just spam space bar on dialogues that you don't like and read the journal

Easier not to play the game at all.
I wish every game had Kotor 2 characters and narrative, sadly there's only a handful of games that can compare, weirdly enough all the competent stories told in rpgs were made around rather mediocre gameplay(with few exceptions like arcanum or deus ex). Reality of current day gaming industry is that we won't get big budget crpg without them being fueled by political agenda mixed-in with shit tier intern writers but if the circus can at least deliver a good video game despite all the crap then i'm fine with it.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

What you mean?

She had some Side-Boob showing but that is no good! Massive tranny dicks, a-ok. Bear fuckers, fine. Side boob, RHEEEEEEEE!(cetera)

View attachment 40553

Don't tell Swen that BDSM lingere (sold in fancy cloth shop, also incubus drop) shows quite a bit of female areolas.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:popcorn:

The amount of no sense setting and rule breaking garbo in this game is amazing. I just met a dude on 1 health,clicked "try to help him"......and the game told me i cant and he died lol. I had a fucking cleric with me with shit tone of healing and restoration magic,but nah he was wounded. Also lol at how you can't use resurrect spells on non party people. I have the feel that poor swen just want to watch some men suck each other in good graphics and never really plaed dnd.

PS:
Buahahahahaha lol buahahaha,i decided to try and talk to the death since he wanted to tell me shit that much.....the corpse doesn't respond.

Barbarian

Arcane
The game very rarely acknowledges non lethal attacks or ressurection spells.

That it sometimes does is pretty awesome though, I will give them that.

Sunri

Liturgist

What you mean?

View attachment 40553

Don't tell Swen that BDSM lingere (sold in fancy cloth shop, also incubus drop) shows quite a bit of female areolas.

x7vgoWQ.png

hehehe

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think I accidentally donated my astral touched tadpole to the refugees, along with some foodstuffs, where the flaming fist dwarf collects donations. Oops.

Rhobar121

Scholar
How many years have I heard people complain about crappy writing? Writing in crpg games is almost always crap.
Let's not pretend otherwise.
BG1 had an almost non-existent plot for most of the game (until reaching bg).
Poe is complete
shit that's extremely boring. Deadfire was marginally better because the voice acting limited the amount of crappy writing.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
How many years have I heard people complain about crappy writing? Writing in crpg games is almost always crap.
Let's not pretend otherwise.
BG1 had an almost non-existent plot for most of the game (until reaching bg).
Poe is complete
shit that's extremely boring. Deadfire was marginally better because the voice acting limited the amount of crappy writing.
Paper-thin or boring =/= Insultingly stupid
BG3 is the latter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom