Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Barbarian

Arcane
Probably PR move, something which Larian seems to be(mostly) very good at.

I can't picture a way of coming out and saying "yeah, we cut a ton of shit just weeks before release" and getting smiling faces in response.

Adding back stuff like the upper city is also probably a task immensely bigger than it was cutting it.

Epilogue stuff is pretty shameful though. At least they say they are somewhat adding it back.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It was always our intention for the Upper City to be an epic, cinematic epilogue bringing the story of Baldur’s Gate 3 to a close. But we didn’t talk about that in advance because it would have been a major spoiler.
We’re also working on the ability to change your characters’ look once you’ve started a campaign, though we don’t have a release date for that yet.
Did I get it right that they cut the Upper CIty, and are announcing with much pomp a character hairstyles and eyeliner customizer? The cheek on those bloody faggots!

jf8350143

Liturgist
“One of the reasons why we trimmed the epilogue is because we were afraid the ending cinematics were becoming too long and would detract from the epicness of the experience.But clearly, not everyone agrees with us!”

No one agrees with you, not even yourselves.

I understand that devs telling lies is normal these days but seeing people praising devs for telling lies is just a new level of pathetic.

"Withers’ Wardrobe of Wayward Friends
- which we hope to launch very soon - is an example of us integrating your feedback. This feature allows you to get rid of co-op party members who join your campaign, so you can continue on without them. "

It's a feature they should develop the moment the decide there will be co-op and they need feedback to know it's needed?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm a bit surprised at the grovelling tone of the update when they could have easily gone "LA LA LA WE CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF OUR GUSHING WATERFALL OF MONEY". It's something, I guess.

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"We deleted half of Act 3 because we thought it might be too long and epic!!! We wanted to tell everyone.. b-b-but spoilers!! better to wait til after you buy it and play 2 hours!"

Lmfao Ya okay Swen.
"We feel confident that there’s enough content in Baldur’s Gate 3, and the city itself, clocking in weeks-long playthroughs at a time. But that’s not to say Baldur’s Gate 3 didn’t see cuts just as every game. It’s just important to know that what ultimately shipped was planned long ago, in function primarily of making Baldur’s Gate 3 fun to play, not for us to close development quickly."

Suuuuure. Todd knows how to lie, Sven doesn't.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Probably PR move, something which Larian seems to be(mostly) very good at.

I can't picture a way of coming out and saying "yeah, we cut a ton of shit just weeks before release" and getting smiling faces in response.

Adding back stuff like the upper city is also probably a task immensely bigger than it was cutting it.

Epilogue stuff is pretty shameful though. At least they say they are somewhat adding it back.
Yeah, that's why I was saying it's a 2 year job if we ever see it.
Adding back upper city and content would mean raising the level cap drastically i.e implementing spells and class features they currently do not have implemented. This is an insane task way beyond the scope of a definitive edition imo. They might smooth out some of the rough edges in the story and quest in the final act, as they did with the arx rework in DoS 2 but adding back the upper city and integrating it back in the main story? It's an insane task. They are already fixing stuff like karlach and epilogues to make them work with the current game without the upper city, they're not going to do that work twice.
More likely if they make it, they'll make it an expansion with a different/follow up story.
There was clearly something that didn't work with their level cap plans and how they structured the first two acts. Those two acts flow well in terms of level progression but you reach max level 1/3 of the way through act3 and that's without the upper city. I am wondering if they didn't cut that mostly because they had to much content for what they had implemented in terms of class features and spells, while act 1 and 2 were already too advanced in terms of polish to be reworked at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps it's more likely to be a half-truth than a lie. Yes, it's what they "planned long ago", but because it was implemented at the end of development, they didn't have time to playtest that content, which would likely have led to them changing their plan.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just repeating you two, Swen was hyping Upper City like crazy and it's confirmed in the game files that large chunks of it exist as well as the many many quest hooks that were tethered into it (which also got cut / gutted).

To even finish karlaches questline they are likely gonna lift and shift several quest nodes / npcs out of Upper City and splat them down randomly in lower city.

This announcement is a crock of shit. lol.

EDIT

I can't wait for patch 4 announcement "Oh.. we noticed a bug that was locking you out of Upper City before the final battle sequence.. we fixed that now.. oopsie doopsie.. we planned this from the start though.. promise!"

Oh no even better.. "We now have a new DLC planned, free for the fans of our game.. Withers MAGICAL CARPET that brings you to upper city!!"

skaraher

Prophet
Kingmaker is surprisingly un-woke for the most part. The orc cuck writer ended up as one the main character writers for WOTR though, he's a self proclaimed brony and did his college thesis on anime. :smug:
It happened because they had no more money and time. I guess you didn't read the interview where they admitted they wanted to put in the whole tranny dwarf quest. As I've said many times, the only thing holding Owlcat back is lack of money.
I can't wait for them to release their Russian ME.

Yeah I know this interview, and I think its the same writer I talked about who lamented he couldnt put tranny dwarfs in the game. :smug:

volklore

Arcane
I can't wait for patch 4 announcement "Oh.. we noticed a bug that was locking you out of Upper City before the final battle sequence.. we fixed that now.. oopsie doopsie.. we planned this from the start though.. promise!"

Oh no even better.. "We now have a new DLC planned, free for the fans of our game.. Withers MAGICAL CARPET that brings you to upper city!!"
yeah sure. At best in definitive edition in 2 years or a paid expansion pack with a different story. I'm taking bets!

If this really is what they intended and planned long before release then it's pretty sad. The game feels so unfinished that the entire community was huffing "last minute cut content," copium but I guess that's not the case
The early-early access builds promised a much different game. More in line with the horrid (in terms of setting and tone, not quality) aspects of illithids and all of that. They were making it look like you'd have a Resident Evil tier atmosphere but set in Baldur's Gate... the earliest trailer showed a guard being transformed in all of its face ripping, teeth flying glory. The companions were pretty much opposite of you, and hinted at a more chaotic neutral-ish tone for them. Shadowheart was much more of a "dark agent of Shar" than what you have now, Astarion was much more of a vampire predator, etc. However a lot of people were like "this isn't Baldur's Gate". The tone was changed, characters from the first two games were added, and everyone was happy again.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

yeah sure. At best in definitive edition in 2 years or a paid expansion pack with a different story. I'm taking bets!

I deep down still believe in Swen.. he's 'our guy' .. but whatever tranny blue haired dyke is trying to PR this shit storm away with bullshit lies is really souring my mood.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Literally the first person you might speak with in the city:

XYBP4Ow.jpg

Of course they do this to troll normal people, and for no other reason. My guess is they held on until Act 3 to go into full force because they knew by then it would far too late for negative feedback to reach the surface in forums.

In Act 2 they were two gay gnomes.
Act 1, Halsin has a note saying that he's a faggot.
Tyranny from Obsidian had a retarded plot where a woman killed her lesbian wife because she somehow was the heir of the entire town's ownership, and that's somehow how inheritance law work in a Bronze age dark fantasy world.

And Pathfinder : WOTR has gay marriage in a world with crusades against real demons.
And then there's the bisexual orc cuck with his bisexual girlfriend in Kingmaker.

Yes, but when Owlcat and Obsidian tried to make their immersive RPG, Larian is making toys. It's a silly game to do silly things. Besides, Forgotten Realms is stupid patchwork made by bearded coomer. Why you care?

When you again will see gay deep gnomes from surface city named Baldurs Gate, just say under your nose "Lol, fags" a go away, ignoring their quest. And then take off Shadowheart clothes and try to do motorboarding on her tits.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised at the grovelling tone of the update when they could have easily gone "LA LA LA WE CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF OUR GUSHING WATERFALL OF MONEY". It's something, I guess.
They are aware they're in people's good graces now, so they're probably reviewing their PR releases ten times before clicking on Post. They don't want a CDPR happening to them.

volklore

Arcane
They are aware they're in people's good graces now, so they're probably reviewing their PR releases ten times before clicking on Post. They don't want a CDPR happening to them.
There is no way they will get CDPR'd lol. The act 3 everyone is complaining about is million light years aways from cyberPoonk at launch lol.

There is no way they will get CDPR'd lol. The act 3 everyone is complaining about is million light years aways from cyberPoonk at launch lol.
Better to be safe than sorry. CDPR was truly seen as the savior of gaming and then Cyberpunk happened. It was a night/day situation even though they made profit off it in a day.
Every developer, especially RPG ones, was probably taking notes on the whole fiasco.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The funny thing is that even a worse act 3 game is still better than many AAA games that have come out in recent years.
I hope that sooner or later the gaming market will collapse again. Another reset would be nice.

The funny thing is that even a worse act 3 game is still better than many AAA games that have come out in recent years.
I hope that sooner or later the gaming market will collapse again. Another reset would be nice.
The gaming crash of the early 80s was only an american problem and it only served to cement Nintendo's place as the continent's leading gaming company. The rest of the world didn't care.

But yeah, there's still plenty of meat in Act 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom