Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

The implication is that Lorroakan is Edwin in disguise and under a new identity replacing the original one, but the game never openly acknowledges it, despise giving him a very similar characterization.

And yes, Cazador is MOSTLY mentioned by Astarion in Act 1, but that wasn’t the point.

Larianshill

Arbiter
was there cut content with kagha?
In the very first version of the EA, Halsin gives Kagha a very merciful punishment, and if you call him out on that, he says that you will need her, and "why" will make sense soon. He never follows up on it, and in later versions this dialogue is cut.

Really is there a buildup to Lorroakan ?
In the half-official book, the tower is occupied by Edwin in disguise. A lot of content in BG3 takes straight from that book, so it's very surprising when that bit wasn't the case. There's buildup to something being weird about Lorroakan, because Rolan calls him a great wizard, but Gale is surprised to hear that and says that he's always heard that Lorroakan is a joke - and he's looking forward to meet him, if he isn't. That makes sense if Edwin killed him and assumed his identity, but couldn't keep his power level hidden. Later on, however, it turns out that Lorroakan actually isn't a joke, he's a very powerful conjurer, so Gale was just retarded and wrong.

I would really like to see the whole thing of adventuring modeled in more detail, with micro-gameplay resource management elements and a bit more emphasis on journey (like for example, PF:K started to have something like that with the camp scenes, but it could all have been fleshed out with more detail). Also things like having a Ranger in your party meaning you can move faster across country instead of having to stick to the roads. Having to hunt for food. Detail like that. It has to be adjusted and massaged so that it's not an annoyance, and as always with those types of things, you want some way of quickening it once you've experienced the immersive aspect enough, but having more simulation in that area would give more of a sense of background realism and bind the player closer to the game in the beginning.

Expeditions: Viking had something similiar - you had to manage different roles (hunting, cooking, preserving food, maintaining armors and weapons, guarding etc) at different times. Iirc one person had three or four "slots" in which he/she could do things or rest, but to fully rest one had to spend min. two of these slots, and to heal wounds properly many, many more. You had to have more people in your retinue than just your adventuring party and you had to rotate them heavilly. Some activities were bound to certain slot - for example you could hunt in the first two, but not the last one, and after the camp you could tidy up (action available only for the last "slot"), to minimise the risk of attack next time you rest. Usually I had four more people just to do camping roles or replace my "main" companions when they were hurt or tired.

EDIT: here's more detailed breakdown, I forgot you could have people with traits like "heavy sleeper", who needed one "slot" to rest while "normal" people needed only two.

https://expeditions-viking.fandom.com/wiki/Camping
Vagrus - The riven realms is also like that. A great game really

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
afbeelding.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I see that you missed the couple infront of the bar in the lower city,the wifu just told her hubie that she is cucking him with some dyke and is leaving him lol .
I found that. But the wife is absolutely the negative example in that exchange. She is spoiled, has bad judgement, cheater, and has spoiled their son to the best of her ability. She is also wrinkled and old. The man is better off frankly.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Nigga she is a bad example if you have a moral core,modern reddit cucks will see her as a brave and noble queen that puts the sad parasite in his right place. Go ask the local reddit trannies about what they think about it. Also you have no option to tell her that.

jackofshadows

Magister
On my second playthrough (act3) and man I'm laughing (through tears I should add) at miserable faggots from reddit someone was reposting where they were complaining about missing content if player chooses the evil branch (that's what I did for the 1st time). Yes, you are in fact missing a lot of it (which's a very stupid complain either way) but you are missing the right content.

First of all, Karlach. It was obvious from the start but she's just unbearable, thoroughly irritating character. She's so badly written (and pretty badly voiced at times which is a rare thing in this game I'd say) I just cannot beleive it. Now I'm unsure even that they did this deliberately, probably not actually and players love her aside from the general reddit crowd thing for the fact barbs are op and it's not hard at all to use them right or at least decently. So she helps in their struggles with the game mechanics so to say. Yes, I think it's that simple for the most part. But maybe I'm wrong and too far from being TA for her as for the whole "good" branch - Larian did actually try to please everybody (they just went too far with playersexuality here and some other stuff).

Wyll. Yeah, he's utterly boring in general but now I also see there's no ahem subversion in a sense that a token black character is the most virtuous person like in the entire game, along with his father. Which is obviously woke to the question whether bg3 is woke but a bit more on that later. By the way, Wyll's *coming onto you* scene annoyingly triggers just by clicking end the day button, not by exlamation mark "talk to me" mechanic. So the
6EC5BE82F1DE9D1928F997320B5081A890CD9941
As for Mizora presense, haven't seen all the content with her yet but so far don't find her interesting either. Sure she sounds and looks nice but her benefactor angle reads rather odd although I dunno all the hell lore intricacies to evaluate that. Like why she even offer as an option to break the contract right away?

All the rapefugee stuff. Seemingly, this should be a dead horse by now since their initial quest was way back in the EA but I still keep seeing the argument "you can kill them". That's not a fucking argument, you're just doing the evil deed then. How such basic concept slips away from people minds, I've no idea. They. Are. Unquestionably good. I couldn't find a single *bad* (let alone Mystra forbid say a rapist) tiefling refugee. Moreover, they're all suppose to be aspiring, virtuous in one way or another. As for the thieving kids, well, they're kids first of all and also most of them written as "they had to do it". There's also a murder mystery quest and an acused refugee -surprise- turns out innocent. So, another major woke instance. Which to state didn't ruin my experience but it's rather interesting to list such differences when it comes to branching. To each their own, as if Larian are saying again.

Aasimar dyke/true loving lesbians against the evil patriarchy. Oh, come on give me a break with this shit. The one scene in particular is especially *in your face*, resembling the WoTR orc-tranny reunion.

That all said, Jaheira so far seems pretty good and even though I dislike Minsc from the I-II somehow I think I won't the Larian version (haven't picked him up yet). More importantly, the Foundry quest was really, really good along with decent gnome drama lmao and I skipped the whole thing the first time via pact with Gortash.

Will write more impressions when I'll finish it's just some of the posts so to say inspired me as I'm slowly going throught the thread while playing.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How such basic concept slips away from people minds, I've no idea. They. Are. Unquestionably good. I couldn't find a single *bad* (let alone Mystra forbid say a rapist) tiefling refugee.
The first thing you learn about thieflings when you enter the camp is that one of them tried to steal a holy relic.
Another thiefling child robs you, while a different one sells you forgery magic rings.
A different thiefling robs a mercenary they hired to look for Helsin, and you can intervene to save it from a beating, only to find out you were deceived and he is actually a thief.
Their leader straight up says they want to start a Thieves Guild when they go to Baldur's Gate, and compete with other smugglers and criminals.
Doesn't that girl you can save from a bugbear assassin also say she stole the soul coin you can talk her into giving?

Also, if you see a war, and refugees, and you think it MUST be an allegory for Moroccans in Belgium, I think you are mindfucked. Abdul living rent free in your head, collecting welfare.

volklore

Arcane
How such basic concept slips away from people minds, I've no idea. They. Are. Unquestionably good. I couldn't find a single *bad* (let alone Mystra forbid say a rapist) tiefling refugee.
The first thing you learn about thieflings when you enter the camp is that one of them tried to steal a holy relic.
Another thiefling child robs you, while a different one sells you forgery magic rings.
Their leader straight up says they want to start a Thieves Guild when they go to Baldur's Gate, and compete with other smugglers and criminals.
Doesn't that girl you can save from a bugbear assassin also say she stole the soul coin you can talk her into giving?

Also, if you see a war, and refugees, and you think it MUST be an allegory for Moroccans in Belgium, I think you are mindfucked. Abdul living rent free in your head, collecting welfare.
The tiefling arc is okay written actually, you can definitely see how tiefling are creating chaos in the grove and why some druids would want them out. But the refugee theme in rivington is super badly written. And definitely transpires the writers political ideas. There is a riddiculous posch dude who stuffs toy donation to refugees with explosives and wants to kick squatters off his property with help of hired thugs (i.e it's not some rando peasant having his barn squatted by refugee family and struggling with his daily work, which actually would be more representative of how refugees actually affect people. In fact that posch dude in reality would be employing them for cheapo), the guy complaining to the flaming fist is a carricature too, the refugee accused of the crime of the ilmater priest is innocent of course.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
A different thiefling robs a mercenary they hired to look for Helsin, and you can intervene to save it from a beating, only to find out you were deceived and he is actually a thief.

Don't forget that Alfira is poised to unleash the worst song ever written on the unsuspecting realms (until a heroic durge stops her)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

The tiefling arc is okay actually, but the refugee theme in rivington is super badly written. And definitely transpires the writers political ideas.
The writers are Europeans, so I am 99% sure this is meant to be gypsies and not arab refugees.
>caravan
>musicians
>blacksmith
>thieving children
>reselling stolen goods and fake rings
>thieflings already are a people that live in that land for a long time, and in Baldur's Gate too
Thinking this is about muslim refugees is americabrained.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Fact that you actually took the time to create that char is disturbing.
Member how during GamerGate our queen Anita recorded a video of herself playing Hitman, killing all female NPCs and dragging their corpses into one room, I think naked? to comment about the game being misogynist. Which is of course not the intended way to play, and not how anyone plays.
Creating circus freaks like that, to comment on how woke the character creator is, reminds me of that for some reason.

obl.JPG

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
For all the HATE of BG3, I have to wonder if its success and popularity will make this GOTY? How many threads are attributed to this game compared to others? How many pages? How many posts? And I am not just strictly saying CODEXIAN posts. Is Larian sitting on their new GOLD MINE pa ing the way for lots of DLC and a sequel? Is WOTC pleased? Is HASBRO pleased? Will Sven build a castle, go into space and launch some NFTS games instead?

jf8350143

Liturgist
I think that Ketheric is one of the reasons act 2 feels like the endgame. Not only does he have infinitely more charisma than Gortash and Orin combined, the entire act 2 is purely about him, and the entire location is the consequence of his villainy. In act 3, killing the chosen is one of the many, many things you do, and their presence isn't felt nearly as much, even despite Gortash's fascismbots and Orin's tryhard pop-ins. The fact that they have to share the lower city doesn't help.
Still I think they didn't do Ketheric justice. You barely talk to him. And he just stand on the top of the tower doing nothing, if you break in there early, he didn't even say anything extra.

They got JK Simmons to voice him and he got what, 10 mintues of talking time? Such a waste of talent.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
For all the HATE of BG3, I have to wonder if its success and popularity will make this GOTY?
Starfield is the biggest release of the year, I think. There's also a new Mortal Kombat game, a new Assassin's Creed game, Diablo 4 probably scores high with normies. There's competition for the normia game award.
But I am pretty sure Baldur's Gate 3 is the Codex GOTY.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hope you like my next character. Completely compatible with current game standards.

hAzJlEW.jpeg

INm2ZaD.jpeg
Can you not make characters fat? Big floppy feet? Oversized hands, small limbs, bobble head/shrunken head, bulbous eyes, etc?

That’s the thing I liked about certain Korean or other mmos is the absolute GONZO character creator. Fuck you could probably make Gonzo.
f4763dcc7a39c980ea3089df7e51dd95.jpg

Best character creators so it says..
Which game has the most sliders, colors, styles, extras?

I want to resurrect JihadJones into BG3 (when/if I purchase it). There is much to be bombed and claimed in the name of Allah!

Aion0333.jpg

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!

Last edited:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
For all the HATE of BG3, I have to wonder if its success and popularity will make this GOTY? How many threads are attributed to this game compared to others? How many pages? How many posts? And I am not just strictly saying CODEXIAN posts. Is Larian sitting on their new GOLD MINE pa ing the way for lots of DLC and a sequel? Is WOTC pleased? Is HASBRO pleased? Will Sven build a castle, go into space and launch some NFTS games instead?
Of course it will win GOTY.

Lol Todd(ler) his shitty space sim will flop

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom