Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Zariusz

Arbiter
And its done, quite weak ending and from what i heard if i had choosen normal custom character instead of Durge it would be even shorter. Whole act 3 really is a boring slog, almost no ruins and dungeons to explore, lower city quickly gets boring to look at thanks to lack of different looking areas to see (besides undercity, even if that supposed large sprawling complex is really just one crypt and temple of Bhaal, that one very cool quick jungle trip and House Of Hope).
Quests also are nothing to write about, i liked Shadowheart finale and Durge Bhaal temple duel (its funny how Orin is harder than her slayer form) but after that my will to play quickly eroded and instead of 2 days it took me over a week to finish this game.

Like everyone says Act 1 and 2 is where the true gameplay is, for me the best part was exploring Underdark and just going deeper and deeper finding new places, loot and fighting enemies. Its really weird how exploring in Act 1 reminded me of the greek act of Titan Quest, sound effect when entering new area and general mediterranean look made me feel that Deja Vu.
Gameplay was decent but it got really easy and boring during late game, generally this is not a hard game but sometimes it had few decent challenges. I could say something about the woke aspect of this game but we all know about ridiculous shit Larian inserted.

Any mods that remove trannies and pronouns? Or are they getting deleted/banned a la Starfield??
There is Better Aesthetics and it changes look of many NPCs but there are still nogs missed here and there
https://basedmods.eth.limo/browse/
Trannies on the other hand... Well that is the matter that you will have to handle yourself
S0AbitQ.png

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm looking at the map in Act 3 and I'm like.... meh, that looks like a lot of effort.
Also I can't understate the amount of DIVERSITY they crammed into the city.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And its done, quite weak ending and from what i heard if i had choosen normal custom character instead of Durge it would be even shorter. Whole act 3 really is a boring slog, almost no ruins and dungeons to explore, lower city quickly gets boring to look at thanks to lack of different looking areas to see (besides undercity, even if that supposed large sprawling complex is really just one crypt and temple of Bhaal, that one very cool quick jungle trip and House Of Hope).
Quests also are nothing to write about, i liked Shadowheart finale and Durge Bhaal temple duel (its funny how Orin is harder than her slayer form) but after that my will to play quickly eroded and instead of 2 days it took me over a week to finish this game.

Like everyone says Act 1 and 2 is where the true gameplay is, for me the best part was exploring Underdark and just going deeper and deeper finding new places, loot and fighting enemies. Its really weird how exploring in Act 1 reminded me of the greek act of Titan Quest, sound effect when entering new area and general mediterranean look made me feel that Deja Vu.
Gameplay was decent but it got really easy and boring during late game, generally this is not a hard game but sometimes it had few decent challenges. I could say something about the woke aspect of this game but we all know about ridiculous shit Larian inserted.

There's also Cazador's mansion (which I've just done) Tribunal temple and Lorroakhan's tower, which are quite cool. I'm not finding an insufficiency of cool little set pieces, I'm just finding it a bit of a rambling jumble of quests and areas with a lot of backtracking and no sense of a clear path and side-quests, but maybe that's the effect they were after - theoretically, for the story diff. player new to CRPGs, just wandering the city and following your nose is probably a lot of fun, and you get enough hooks into the more important quests for that to be viable.

Also, while Tactician is definitely too easy out of the box, it's worth noting that the Lethal AI mod plus a few tweaks like the proper 5e downed system (from Fix Bad DM I think) make it quite a bit harder, though probably still not as hard as DOS2 Tactician was. I should think Tactician Plus and Experimental AI (which there's a compatible version of Lethal AI for) add some difficulty too (though Tactician Plus just adds more bloat for a 6 man and up party to chew through, it's the AI mods that make the difference - like for example, mobs will try and murder your guys if they've been properly 5e downed, which requires more careful tactics).

I think for me House of Hope and Cazador's mansion are good, very atmospheric areas in Act 3 that continue to capture the BG feeling that some of the areas in Act 1 and Act 2 did.

Overall, the game is starting to overstay its welcome a bit now, but I can't say I haven't thoroughly enjoyed parts of it.

Aylin was repeatedly killed and resurrected by Shar followers and she's fucked in the head because of this.
I think she was a potential companion that got cut, her arc doesn't really conclude and her dialogue kindof implies you're supposed to recruit her after bonking Ketheric but nothing comes of it.
That's dumb. Someone can only be raised or ressurected if willing. That's one of the oldest rules in D&D.

MerchantKing

Learned
Also, while Tactician is definitely too easy out of the box, it's worth noting that the Lethal AI mod plus a few tweaks like the proper 5e downed system (from Fix Bad DM I think) make it quite a bit harder, though probably still not as hard as DOS2 Tactician was. I should think Tactician Plus and Experimental AI (which there's a compatible version of Lethal AI for) add some difficulty too (though Tactician Plus just adds more bloat for a 6 man and up party to chew through, it's the AI mods that make the difference - like for example, mobs will try and murder your guys if they've been properly 5e downed, which requires more careful tactics).
"It's a good game if you mod it." That didn't work for Skyrim or Oblivion and it's not going to work for this game either.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"It's a good game if you mod it." That didn't work for Skyrim or Oblivion and it's not going to work for this game either.

On balance, it's a good(ish) game without modding, but modding definitely helps with its biggest flaw (bracketing the degeneracy and woke box-ticking bs ofc), which is the lack of difficulty.

The way I encapsulated it up-thread, with most modern entertainment product, it's not worth "holding your nose" to extract the juicy bits, because there are no juicy bits, it's all so fundamentally, structurally trash (e.g. with movies, terrible scripts, cliched plots, etc.). But with this game it is worth it, there is juice to be had, there is entertainment to be had.

MerchantKing

Learned

On balance, it's a good(ish) game without modding, but modding definitely helps with its biggest flaw (bracketing the degeneracy and woke box-ticking bs ofc), which is the lack of difficulty.
If there's a lack of difficulty then the balance is not good.

GloomFrost

Arcane

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

If there's a lack of difficulty then the balance is not good.

I meant balance between the various elements that go to make up a CRPG, which isn't only a tactical combat game. As well as tactical combat, you have things like resource management, story, character development, choice and consequence, reactivity, art design and audio. A CRPG is a gesamtkunstwerk that's more than the sum of its parts, with the total producing a sense of immersion and presence that either pops or doesn't, like one of those old Magic Eye images.

On balance, BG3 delivers on that sense of immersion more often than not, even with the woke bs, even with the overly simple build system and the often-too-easy combat.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The lack of traders is starting to piss me off. Im running around with tens of thousands of GP in equipment in my inventory and barely any way to offload it.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm checking out Dark Urge a bit for my maybe-someday-review of the game.

Meet Codexia. The edgiest woman on the Sword Coast.
2023-09-10-1427-5.png

Her dream guardian is pretty much her, but even edgier.
2023-09-10-1328-1.png

Despite her difficult character, she occasionally has heroic moments.
2023-09-10-1536-9.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Has Kamerad Grauken finished the first playthrough yet?
I stopped playing once I reached act 2 and will start again october or so, to then annoy the rest of this thread with more of my inspired takes
Cant even blame you, after going so hard on the hype train, it must be pretty disappointing to finally experience reality. Much easier to enjoy and stay interested in playing Dragon Age: Divinity, when you expected exactly what you got.
Wrong Shakiness, it was so good that I wanted to prolong the experience for as much as I can

MerchantKing

Learned

2023-09-10-1427-5.png

2023-09-10-1328-1.png

2023-09-10-1536-9.png
Looks like the standard dyke.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

2023-09-10-1427-5.png

2023-09-10-1328-1.png

2023-09-10-1536-9.png
Looks like the standard dyke.

You know many lesbos with weird evil left eye?

Sarathiour

Cipher
If you tell the hunter the direction to your camp before asterion reveal himself a vampire, you just get a message later on telling you that asterion is permanently gone. Talk about underwhelming

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you tell the hunter the direction to your camp before asterion reveal himself a vampire, you just get a message later on telling you that asterion is permanently gone. Talk about underwhelming

If you don’t tell Astarion he’s coming, yes. Otherwise, he takes care of business, as he does if he’s in the party.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I dunno, I had more a " come at my camp so that we can further discuss your claim" in mind, and not "here's my camp location and layout, wyll is on guard duty between 3 and 4 am, but he will probably slack off and do some dancing shenanigan, so that's your opportunity to kidnapp someone unnoticed."
Well, my live reaction to this was basically the same as for the bard.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You also get jack shit for turning him in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom