Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

It could benefit from a bit of polishing in act3 but the main issue with the game is the many rewrites and patchwork plot that resulted from it. Not a lot can be done about this, that's way out of scope for an EE imo.
Yeah, that's the main issue.
The game definitely isn't lacking in the AMOUNT of content offered, cuts or not.
But bloodly hell if most of the subplots and questlines don't seem to end in a wet fart after hours and hours of build up.

Cazador would be an egregious example; he's built-up as some sort of machiavellian super-villain with power, politican influence and raw strength... and he turns out to be a pitiful manlet you can casually walk into AND bitchslap in one go.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The thing that puzzled me most about this is how any of the characters can be level 1 at the start of the game.

Gale.. fucking the godess/essence of magic itself, yet is level 1. Surely that would take some high level dick to achieve?

Also why would Viconia send a level 1 Cleric on such an important mission?

Astarion has a long history of abducting people for his vampire patron... etc etc.

Is anyone who understands D&D better than me able to explain if this is normal or feasible in TT?

kangaxx

Arbiter
It could benefit from a bit of polishing in act3 but the main issue with the game is the many rewrites and patchwork plot that resulted from it. Not a lot can be done about this, that's way out of scope for an EE imo.
Yeah, that's the main issue.
The game definitely isn't lacking in the AMOUNT of content offered, cuts or not.
But bloodly hell if most of the subplots and questlines don't seem to end in a wet fart after hours and hours of build up.

Cazador would be an egregious example; he's built-up as some sort of machiavellian super-villain with power, politican influence and raw strength... and he turns out to be a pitiful manlet you can casually walk into AND bitchslap in one go.
Part of the problem is that you're almost guaranteed to be max level when you face him. It's a major problem with Act 3 in general... too easy because they balanced around 12 as max level but gave you enough to get there before (or right at the start of) the final act.

Self-Ejected
All character grown weaker after the tadpole insertion the case of gale is unique.

Gale was actually punished by the Bitch Mystra after he attempted to impress her by attempting to return to her a piece of the weave contaminating himself in the process.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The thing that puzzled me most about this is how any of the characters can be level 1 at the start of the game.

Gale.. fucking the godess/essence of magic itself, yet is level 1. Surely that would take some high level dick to achieve?

Astarion has a long history of abducting people for his vampire patron... etc etc.

Is anyone who understands D&D better than me able to explain if this is normal or feasible in TT?
In tabletop we typically say that between these two epic adventurers heroes become so drunk and shitty they drugged themselves to L1.

Alternatively someone could siphon out from them theirs XP, then die... Thus... They are L1 pissed of ex-rulers of the country, epic wizards, zombies...

The canonical excuse is typically that even al level 1 "heroes and adventurers" are ALREADY out-of-the-ordinary individuals with superlative potential far past the common folks.
It's clearly bullshit to let people indulge in their power trip fanfiction backstories, though, since the world these characters move in is blatantly populated of enemies and monsters capable to squash them like insignificant bugs.

On top of that, BG3 comes up with its own set of weak excuses to justify the "fall from grace" of its cast of companions.

VerSacrum

Educated

I think the deus ex machina is the tadpole that reverted everybody to level 1 mice punchers.

Yeah, at least Wyll mentions that prior to the abduction his warlock powers were stronger.
Shit wouldn't make sense with a Wizard like Gale though unless he has convenient amnesia like the Gothic protag.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Latest cringe:

At last, the party leaves the land of Early Access and reaches Baldur's Gate! But a new foe awaits, stronger than a cursed frog -- Gale, Astarion, Shadowheart and Karlach must face the Launch versions of themselves.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So, what is the Codex verdict on this game?
It's not owlcat's from L1 to L30 in one game package. Owlcats games might have SERIOUS flaws, but at least they allowed to go to L20 if people wanted...

janior

Arcane
Patron
high lvl d&d sucks
Then again, Larian's excuse "muh power creep at higher levels" is more than a bit at odds with the fact tha they removed several balancing factors in vanilla D&D (like attunement and the correct implementation of several mechanics) AND added an overpowered "tadpole talent tree" on top of it.
they tried to please marvel fans i guess, game should def have 'u dont get the parasite' mode, would def elevate it overall

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
narr.jpg

Herumor

Scholar
I don't remember all of them, but Gale is like that due to the Netherese orb.

Karlach is due to the infernal engine being outside of Avernus.

Lae'zel isn't supposed to be anything special really, she hasn't even gone through basic Githyanki initiation rite of killing her first Mind Flayer.

Shadowheart has the whole amnesia thing via divine intervention.

No clue what in-game reasoning is used for Astarion and Wyll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom