Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Rhobar121

Scholar
BG3 is certainly better than WOTR in my opinion. I don't think it's even close.
If you prever combat over narrative, and Pathfinder over 5E, then it is close. WotR isn't bad.
This is a 1e pathfinder thing, if they used 2e the game would be much better but then they would have to actually spend time on the encounter design. Increasing stats indefinitely doesn't work in 2e.

kangaxx

Arbiter
If you prever combat over narrative, and Pathfinder over 5E, then it is close. WotR isn't bad.
It's a matter of opinion of course, but I much prefer the BG3 combat. I enjoyed PFKM but really didn't like WOTR. That crusade management stuff was an abomination, it will single-handedly stop me from ever replaying the game.

jf8350143

Liturgist
If you free the gith prince, he will blame you for slaughter his guards, and you have no choice but to admit you were wrong before.

But if you kill the emperor the first time you met him, you get a instant game over. So there is nothing you can do here, which sucks ass.

All they have to do is let you kill the emperor and let the prince protect you from the elder brain, then go get the hammer and free him so you can fight the brain together. They don't even have to add any extra content, all the pieces are there. At least make it a available option for player playing as gith.

But they just have to shove the emperor in your face, and of course including a romance scene which comes out of nowhere.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know what others understand from roleplaying but the skill check usage in BG3 is the best roleplaying I've had since...VtM?
In combat, and in dialogue, and in the world too. Compare to the Shadowrun games, where you have 1-2 things to interact with on any given level, all other interactions are fighting or talking between characters. Might as well be on a flat empty plain.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
let you kill the emperor and let the prince protect you from the elder brain
I see what you mean, but this practically locks you out of half the endings, in the middle of the game. Not sure its a worthwhile compromise.
I definitely think the Guardian/Balduran plot is the weakest writing in the entirety of the game, however. And much of it is unnecessary, too. Could've just been a rival Grand Designer. Could've just been an opportunistic evil that wants to hijack the Big Brain, rather than a wholesome adventurer. Fits both the lore and the fandom surrounding mindflayers and tadpoles better, as well as being both simpler to write, script and understand.

jf8350143

Liturgist
let you kill the emperor and let the prince protect you from the elder brain
I see what you mean, but this practically locks you out of half the endings, in the middle of the game. Not sure its a worthwhile compromise.
I definitely think the Guardian/Balduran plot is the weakest writing in the entirety of the game, however. And much of it is unnecessary, too. Could've just been a rival Grand Designer. Could've just been an opportunistic evil that wants to hijack the Big Brain, rather than a wholesome adventurer. Fits both the lore and the fandom surrounding mindflayers and tadpoles better, as well as being both simpler to write, script and understand.

I don't mean you have to kill emperor, make it a choice. If you kill the guards then the game proceeds as usual, but if you kill the emperor then you still get to continue the game, just having the prince protecting you.

It doesn't even matter if you lost access to some content or not. That's the whole point of choices and consequences. Killing the tieflings locks you out of bunch of content as well with little to no reward and Larian didn't seem to care.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Based on my impressions so far, wotr is far and above BG3 if you're looking for a "real" rpg. If you're looking for a more casual larpfest then BG3 is superior.
But I may change my mind on this if and when I play more BG3.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Based on my impressions so far, wotr is far and above BG3 if you're looking for a "real" rpg. If you're looking for a more casual larpfest then BG3 is superior.
But I may change my mind on this if and when I play more BG3.
BG3 is more of an rpg than any game Owlcat shat out. When it comes to C&C Larian games are king.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The strength of BG3 is it captures the tabletop experience extremely well for a video game. You can get creative with spells, use dialogue to solve problems, and I like how combat is more tactics based.

But the writing is pretty shit after act 1 and the party members are pure shit. Shadow pussy, lezael and astarion are the only decent ones, emphasis on decent. The other ones are insufferable with terrible back stories. It's cape shit writing. "He's the greatest wizard in the world, having sex with the goddess of magic and he also has a bomb in his chest." That's childish as hell.

For a game trying to recreate the tabletop experience, pretty big flaw to have a shit party when a group adventuring is what d&d is all about

jf8350143

Liturgist
The strength of BG3 is it captures the tabletop experience extremely well for a video game. You can get creative with spells, use dialogue to solve problems, and I like how combat is more tactics based.

But the writing is pretty shit after act 1 and the party members are pure shit. Shadow pussy, lezael and astarion are the only decent ones, emphasis on decent. The other ones are insufferable with terrible back stories. It's cape shit writing. "He's the greatest wizard in the world, having sex with the goddess of magic and he also has a bomb in his chest." That's childish as hell.

For a game trying to recreate the tabletop experience, pretty big flaw to have a shit party when a group adventuring is what d&d is all about
TThe problem of half the companions is lack of content.

Kalach's personal quest is just talk to this smith guy twice and kill this main story boss, and that's it. Her romances has more content than that. Same goes with Gale, his quest is literally just talk, talk, read the book and do some more talking, then it didn't even has a conclusion because you never get the crown(unless you are playing as him).

The only exception is Wyll, he has plenty of content, but he is just straight up boring. Being turned into a devil is a premise with potenials, but they never do anything with it. He could be a human all the way through and his story would be exactly the same.

Again I blame Larian for cutting all the interesting things from act 3 for this.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
But the writing is pretty shit after act 1 and the party members are pure shit.
Unfavorably comparing Baldur's Gate 3's writing to its peers: Solasta, WotR, Deadfire, etc, is pure cope. It can be lacking in scope (max lvl 12, not all subclasses and spells, not all enemy types), and maybe you prefer the other systems combat mechanically and tactically, but in terms of visual, audio and narrative presentation, and just having a meaningful interactive plot, BG3 is by far the better game.
I think you fall for the classic mistake of judging how good a character is written based on how much you'd be friends with them in real life. AKA the tumblr blog girl way of judging characters.

It doesn't even matter if you lost access to some content or not. That's the whole point of choices and consequences. Killing the tieflings locks you out of bunch of content as well with little to no reward and Larian didn't seem to care.
Right, but it would be a decision you make in the middle of the game, that locks you out of some endings for the game, before you could figure out how one relates to the other.
I hate it when you forget to pull a lever in level 5, so now you can't open the door in level 17, and I think I'd hate this too if I did it in my first playthrough.

Last edited:

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
But the writing is pretty shit after act 1 and the party members are pure shit.
Unfavorably comparing Baldur's Gate 3's writing to its peers: Solasta, WotR, Deadfire, etc, is pure cope. It can be lacking in scope (max lvl 12, not all subclasses and spells, not all enemy types), and maybe you prefer the other systems combat mechanically and tactically, but in terms of visual, audio and narrative presentation, and just having a meaningful interactive plot, BG3 is by far the better game.
I think you fall for the classic mistake of judging how good a character is written based on how much you'd be friends with them in real life. AKA the tumblr blog girl way of judging them.

Not true at all. I gave Asterion credit as decently written even though I personally don't enjoy the character. I'm just objectively measuring the quality of their writing and it's shit. Wyll and Karlach are both absolutely terrible. Gayle is boring and bland but his back story is extremely childish and stupid. I like how pathfinder has more grounded back stories and it definitely has better written companions overall.

Presentation is BG3 no contest. That's different than writing quality though.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
While I'm more than willing to debate Kingmaker vs BG3, since both 3.xE and 5E have their merits and downsides, I just cannot put WoTR even close to the same level. Mythic levels are bolted on nonsense in the style of D&D's 'epic' levels, disrupting the underlying systems for the worse.

Is WoTR good? Yes. Is it comparable to BG3 or Kingmaker? No, not even close.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Unfavorably comparing Baldur's Gate 3's writing to its peers: Solasta, WotR, Deadfire, etc, is pure cope.
We shall see. So far the writing has been nothing special, although it also hasn't been particularly cringe either. Wotr has very uneven writing, some shit, some great, mostly not very special.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
BG3 is designed by a pervert GM who just wants you to enter his MAGICAL REALM.
WotR is designed by an asshole GM who wants you dead AND in his magical realm.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
While BG3 might outpace most RPG's when it comes to character writing (and I don't just mean party members).... I do think it falls short compared to many when it comes to main story structure.

I agree with many people saying that they 'lost the plot in act 3' because that's exactly what happens. Act 3 is all over the place and only at the last minute remembers that an ending needs to be setup. Even PoE did it better.

Sunri

Liturgist
CDN media

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
While BG3 might outpace most RPG's when it comes to character writing (and I don't just mean party members).... I do think it falls short compared to many when it comes to main story structure.

I agree with many people saying that they 'lost the plot in act 3' because that's exactly what happens. Act 3 is all over the place and only at the last minute remembers that an ending needs to be setup. Even PoE did it better.
Bg3 has good character writing?

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Besides Karlach it's fine. If you're impressed by Mass Effect then BG3 is good.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Outpace, meaning better. You can't be serious if you want to imply that WoTR, Kingmaker or even Solasta's character 'writing' comes even close. They have a better focused and structured story, but any character writing clearly takes a backseat in those.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Outpace, meaning better. You can't be serious if you want to imply that WoTR, Kingmaker or even Solasta's character 'writing' comes even close. They have a better focused and structured story, but any character writing clearly takes a backseat in those.
You mean in the sense they have more reactions, interractions and so on ?
Yes sure. I still think kingmaker and WoTR have better casts though. Most of the characters in BG3 I didn't really want to know more about. Except for Lae'zel and Astarion which I found really good throughout. Most interesting thing about BG3 is having the characters more closely tied to the main plot even though only lae'zel is really involved in it directly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom