Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a single example of the game punishing you for obviously stupid decisions related to the tadpole or the Absolute?

2023-09-23-2203-7.png

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
I played the game for an hour, not sure what the hype is. In BG2, I could click on any area of the map, and the companions would rush to the spot, irrespective of what was in their way. Plus, BG2 music was more heroic and better than BG3 in the opening hours. Things may improve, I hope as I play. Not sure.

Tenebris

Scholar
Is there a single example of the game punishing you for obviously stupid decisions related to the tadpole or the Absolute?

2023-09-23-2203-7.png

All forms of consequences related to using the tadpole have been cut. Your only "real" choice is at the very end of the game.

potatojohn

Arcane
I don't know if any game can ever have writing as bad as BG3

PC just fucking murders a dude by severing his hand after losing it during a conversation. Then Shadowheart who just met PC says in a voice of a slightly annoyed schoolteacher

"You were supposed to lend a hand, not take one"

Moves on, never comes up again

Only possible to enjoy this garbage if you're a subnormal redditor.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

PC just fucking murders a dude by severing his hand after losing it during a conversation. Then Shadowheart who just met PC says in a voice of a slightly annoyed schoolteacher

That's one of my favorite moments in the entire game

HammyTheFat

Scholar
It's finally time to get my dark urge run going.

has anyone found a way to get minratha without sacrificing all the other companions? not that I mind since I hate most of them, im just curious

Larianshill

Arbiter
has anyone found a way to get minratha without sacrificing all the other companions? not that I mind since I hate most of them, im just curious
If you don't raid the grove or kill the goblin leaders, but just move on to Moonrise, you can recruit Mintharra without sacrificing Wyll or Karlach. You don't get Halsin, but who cares.

Zariusz

Arbiter

Just ignore the conflict and go to the 2nd act, do quests if you like it but don't assasinate Minthara or invade the Grove. Tieflings will then end up dead on that bridge leading to destroyed village and Minthara will be in Moonrise tower ready for saving. You can even free Halsin but refuse to recruit him, unless it was a bug he was still alive in act 2 and you can use him to do that Shadow curse healing quest, sadly to finish it you will need to recruit him for that but you can kill him later.

Mortmal

Arcane

Quite the opposite, it's good to have non-moralizing character companions, especially compared to Starfield. At this point in the story, Shadowheart is a indoctrinated Shar priestess, and Shar is probably the most evil deity in the Forgotten Realms. I mean, it's especially obvious in Act 2 how messed up Shar cult is. So, they do some messed up dark stuff during their initiation and training, and it's not surprising that she's not unfazed at all by that scene.

jf8350143

Liturgist

There is a mod make it when you defeat her in the goblin camp, she runs away and you can recruit her normally in chapter 2. The story is the same since no matter what you do in chapter 1 she will be punished and sentenced death in chapter 2 anyway, which is pretty dumb.

Ryzer

Arcane

Maybe the name "Shadowheart" should be a hint as to why she reacted like that.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

That is your best example of the "worst writing ever"? As people already pointed out, she is literally a brainwashed follower of an evil god.

If you want worse writing, look at anything Obsidian produced, for example. BG3 has both less text to wade through and in general quite acceptable writing. There is of course some garbage in this game, but "worst writing ever" ain't it.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Haven't played in 8 days. Went back today after downloading the patch and it seems a lot my recent saves are crashing, is there a way around this?

Last edited:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
I hope she's into choking...
2023-09-24-1601-5.png

Doing an evil playthrough feels like "not an intended way to play the game". You will see bugs in otherwise super-polished Act 1.
Some goblin NPCs don't have animations during dialogues.
I also had a goblin raider offering me a gift - the unique Alfira's lute. Thanks man, but I already have one.

potatojohn

Arcane

That is your best example of the "worst writing ever"? As people already pointed out, she is literally a brainwashed follower of an evil god.

If you want worse writing, look at anything Obsidian produced, for example. BG3 has both less text to wade through and in general quite acceptable writing. There is of course some garbage in this game, but "worst writing ever" ain't it.

Brainwashed how? Brainwashed out of common sense?

"Oh this dude I just met ate someone's hand. Oh well. Maybe I'll have some icecream later"?

Go fuck yourself, you tasteless, brainless moron.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Sure, your companions are hilariously chill after you stab somebody in the camp so many times that the body looks like abstract expressionist art piece.
Durge occasionally feels a bit "glued on". But it's the murderhobo path, I'm willing to accept some jank.

Also, BG3 has so many awful writing moments - sometimes atrocious in new and innovative ways - that getting angry at Durge path feeling a bit silly seems like a wrong tree to bark on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom