Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
it amazes me how many people are playing this game even though they said they wont play it because its woke trash
It feels more like a CYOA adventure game than an RPG, you seem to spend more time talking to NPCs and companions than actually fighting monsters. There are only 12 levels so progression feels painfully slow. Enemies don't respawn so you cannot practice your skills in combat and get more XP. Feels like a game designed for the people who watch Critical Role. It's very telling that most of the normie discussion about this game isn't about the gameplay but about the characters and weirdos talking about which girl is their waifu.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm increasingly uncertain about how I feel regarding this game.
On the one hand, it is very cool to have an RPG that doesn't focus entirely on the combat and instead puts a lot of effort into exploration, and navigating the terrain.
On the other hand there's so much jank:
  • All traps run forever. I guess every church/mine/construction company has enough high level wizards on retainer that it's no expense to conjure up a dozen permanent connections to the elemental planes of grease, fire, etc to allow the traps to continually spew forth forever once triggered?
  • The companion pathfinding is retarded. If a path has a jump in it (many such cases), almost every time one or more companions will get stuck on the wrong side of the ledge and not understand how to get accros. They will also mostly avoid traps and damage zones, except sometimes they will gleefully charge through lava and die.
  • All of these noncombat skill checks are cool and all, but they are barely impacted by your build due to the way skills work(+1-3 from stat bonus, +2 from skill focus if you have it, +1-4 from guidance, and almost all checks in chapter 1 have a TN of 10 or less.). The biggest impact seems to be that sometimes you get a class based skill check which is the same as a normal one except you get advantage on the check.
  • The exception to the above are trap/locks which tend to have TNs of 15-20 and are thus really hard, especially if you don't have a rogue. Although you can also retry infinitely as long as you have the items for it.
  • The verticality is cool, but the camera does not like it at all and is locked to your characters z position. Unless there's a button somewhere I missed?
  • There's so many stupid empty containers lying around, except sometimes they're not empty and contain really good loot.
  • Why does the 'highlight all' button not in fact highlight all? Especially in a game so cluttered visually.
  • The high production values when it comes to cutscenes, unique animations, enemy variety is quite nice. Although the combination ambushes + highly specific and strong resistances to damage types is annoying.
  • Assassinating something that flies by pushing it into an endless pit is dumb.

The adamantine golem kicked my ass first attempt, because lazael ran into lava before the fight began. Also it has a lot of hp. Is there only one piece of mithril to forge with? Presumably I missed some stuff.

Beowulf

Arcane
The adamantine golem kicked my ass first attempt, because lazael ran into lava before the fight began. Also it has a lot of hp. Is there only one piece of mithril to forge with? Presumably I missed some stuff.
There at least two pieces in that level from what I remember

VerSacrum

Educated
There at least two pieces in that level from what I remember
There are two veins and six moulds so you can craft max 2

BruceVC

Magister
it amazes me how many people are playing this game even though they said they wont play it because its woke trash
Well thats the one thing that is the least surprising to me, its expected that most people who rant and rage about wokeness in games will end up playing them

This is the Internet and its not how people really behave in RL and particularly around gaming decisions

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The companion pathfinding is retarded. If a path has a jump in it (many such cases), almost every time one or more companions will get stuck on the wrong side of the ledge and not understand how to get accros. They will also mostly avoid traps and damage zones, except sometimes they will gleefully charge through lava and die.

Strange thing is, companion pathfinding was one of the highlights of Div:OS 1 and 2. They avoid traps as soon as you detect them in previous games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The companion pathfinding is retarded. If a path has a jump in it (many such cases), almost every time one or more companions will get stuck on the wrong side of the ledge and not understand how to get accros. They will also mostly avoid traps and damage zones, except sometimes they will gleefully charge through lava and die.

Strange thing is, companion pathfinding was one of the highlights of Div:OS 1 and 2. They avoid traps as soon as you detect them in previous games.
To be clear I haven't had an issue where they run into a non-triggered trap. But once the fireballs start flying they lose all self preservation.
There is a trick to that fight
Is the trick that it's vulnerable to lava? Because so is everyone in my party :M

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
  • The exception to the above are trap/locks which tend to have TNs of 15-20 and are thus really hard, especially if you don't have a rogue. Although you can also retry infinitely as long as you have the items for it.
DC15+ isn't too much of a problem with Guidance and similar buffs, it just looks hard.
Although the combination ambushes + highly specific and strong resistances to damage types is annoying.
I barely remember any noteworthy resistances, let alone immunities, even on Tactician. You can brute force nearly all fights with martial ooga booga tactics.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is the trick that it's vulnerable to lava? Because so is everyone in my party
only one char down, others up on a ledge, the character down hides once he moved the platform to the lower level. You can shoot the lever to activate the lava, as the lava gives the golem a condition wherein he stops being invincible. Then kill him with arrows and spells from above

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
DC15+ isn't too much of a problem with Guidance and similar buffs, it just looks hard.
Guidance is the only cantrip buff applicable for this though, isn't it?
And yeah, you're not wrong entirely wrong. +1 from tool, +1-2 from dex bonus, +1d4 guidance and you're at +5 on average, so DC15 is 50%, DC20 is 25%. But it's quite a lot harder than the other checks which tend to be 10 base and have the same bonuses (except for +1 from tool, but if its a social check you can also cast friends for advantage).

I barely remember any noteworthy resistances, let alone immunities, even on Tactician. You can brute force nearly all fights with martial ooga booga tactics.
I feel like almost every enemy will resist damage from at least one of my characters. But yeah, you can still just brute force them down. Considering how rests are plentiful and almost never penalized in any way (from what it looks like so far), the game can hardly be called difficult.
only one char down, others up on a ledge, the character down hides once he moved the platform to the lower level. You can shoot the lever to activate the lava, as the lava gives the golem a condition wherein he stops being invincible. Then kill him with arrows and spells from above
That seems like a good tactic, but also really boring.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Golem applies debuff on the last char who did damage to it to follow them around and hit in melee, even if char in question is far out of its movement range. As far as I understand, you are supposed to lure golem under the press/hummer thing in the center to use level and one shot it with it.

But the whole thing was a bit bugged, since
  • Grym suddenly got eerily smart and was avoiding the Cruciblein the Adamantine Forge. With a nervous laugh, we dumbed him back down a little.
Personally I just whacked it to death with my hasted fighter while CC-ing it with Halt Command. Spell only failed once, so I made sure that my far-away archer did the last bit of damage before golem's turn so it wasted turn walking toward him.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane

Golem applies debuff on the last char who did damage to it to follow them around and hit in melee, even if char in question is far out of its movement range. As far as I understand, you are supposed to lure golem under the press/hummer thing in the center to use level one shot it with it.

But the whole thing was a bit bugged, since
  • Grym suddenly got eerily smart and was avoiding the Cruciblein the Adamantine Forge. With a nervous laugh, we dumbed him back down a little.
Personally I just whacked it to death with my hasted fighter while CC-ing it with Halt Command. Spell only failed once, so I made sure that my far-away archer did the last bit of damage before golem's turn so it wasted turn walking toward him.
There an achievement for not using the forge thing. And tbh it's easier this way. I just tank and spanked him making sure the melee was the one whacking him last. With melee on solid ground and himself in lava to keep him debuffed constantly.I think he is also weaker to blunt (not sure) but I just whacked him with slashing because that's what I had... He's not dealing much dmg if you can apply resistance to the melee that's tanking. Either with blade ward or with the tiefling gloves that apply Blade ward on heals. I lost the first encounter when I tried to use the forge hammer gimmick.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is the trick that it's vulnerable to lava? Because so is everyone in my party :M
The golem follows the last party member that hit it. You are supposed to lure it in the forge hammer and pull a switch. Then fill the area with lava so that it becomes vulnerable to it again. I didn't even know about the gimmick on my first run on the forge, you can just bash it to death with blunt weapons if you can stay out of the lava.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh. Somebody didn't figure it out instantly? I thought the puzzle fights were super obvious popamole.

Turns out Lagole Gon is just a gigabrain genius, capable of solving the intricate intellectual challanges created by Larian.

Nice.

:mca:

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Somebody didn't figure it out instantly?
In my defence, when I started the fight I had like 3 spells left in the entire party, everyone was 50%+ damaged, and lazael started the fight by spawning in the lava. So I just reloaded and went somewhere else, then I remembered it when I was complaining :M

Yosharian

Arcane
The golem follows the last party member that hit it. You are supposed to lure it in the forge hammer and pull a switch. Then fill the area with lava so that it becomes vulnerable to it again. I didn't even know about the gimmick on my first run on the forge, you can just bash it to death with blunt weapons if you can stay out of the lava.
Yeah you're supposed to lure it under that massive hammer thing.

I didn't know so I just killed it the hard way lol. On Tactician this thing has a fuckton of HP, I almost got TPK'd.

I got an achievement for it and the percentage said 15% so I'm pretty sure I'm not the only numbskull player who didn't realise lmao

volklore

Arcane

I didn't know so I just killed it the hard way lol. On Tactician this thing has a fuckton of HP, I almost got TPK'd.

I got an achievement for it and the percentage said 15% so I'm pretty sure I'm not the only numbskull player who didn't realise lmao
It's easier to just spank it tbh

Yosharian

Arcane

It's easier to just spank it tbh
Ehh debatable, I had two competent bludgeoning-equipped martials bashing it for fucking ages and it has enough hp to last a bloody long time

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Although the combination ambushes + highly specific and strong resistances to damage types is annoying.

Only real resistance I can think of the retribution kind of buff that late game demons, Shar followers had. Shadowheart one shotted herself because I was not paying attention :-D

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Enemies don't respawn so you cannot practice your skills in combat and get more XP.
Respawning and trashmobs are cancer anyway and you get more than enough hand-placed fights to practice your skills in combat.

The exception to the above are trap/locks which tend to have TNs of 15-20 and are thus really hard, especially if you don't have a rogue.
My ranger has no problem with any of the locks. Though I got the +2 ring equipped too that removes 1 charisma and always have at least one source of Guidance.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
What the hell? You barely even get to know the monsters. You fight like two fights against Gnolls and that's it. If anything this game feels like a waste of content. Who models and textures a beautiful monster and then gives it barely a single appearance?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom