Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is the trick that it's vulnerable to lava? Because so is everyone in my party
only one char down, others up on a ledge, the character down hides once he moved the platform to the lower level. You can shoot the lever to activate the lava, as the lava gives the golem a condition wherein he stops being invincible. Then kill him with arrows and spells from above
Be a man. Use blunt weapons.
Real hardcore are using monk fists and stun.
Or you can use shatter.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is the trick that it's vulnerable to lava? Because so is everyone in my party
only one char down, others up on a ledge, the character down hides once he moved the platform to the lower level. You can shoot the lever to activate the lava, as the lava gives the golem a condition wherein he stops being invincible. Then kill him with arrows and spells from above
Be a man. Use blunt weapons.
You're the kind of person who likes to die young. I'm the kind of person who likes to stand over your corpse laughing at you

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
3d29cf7cf8bf3273231b5d3caa7738ad.png

Vibalist

Arcane
Game is fine. Good, even. This being the Codex, people are obviously going to whine about the most minor of things.

I do agree it gets way too easy, though. Resting is too plentiful, and even in dungeons where you can't rest, you can always just run back to the exit and rest anyway. It just makes things more tedious rather than challenging. And my party have been steamrolling absolutely everything anyway since level 6, which I think is both a difficulty issue but also an issue of making magical items way too plentiful. You get a new, powerful bow, dagger, armor piece or sword every 30 minutes, which not only makes you overpowered as shit, but also takes the excitement out of finding loot. Funny how Larian still manage to somewhat botch itemization after actually listening to critics and making a whole bunch of handcrafted items instead of the procedurally generated junk from DOS 1 and 2. BG 1 and 2 had a much more measured and slow approach to making the PC powerful that I would have liked to have seen replicated here. However, for what it's worth, I still had a lot of fun steamrolling my way through everything, because I think the ruleset and combat mechanics are fundamentally solid as shit, as well as visceral and satisfying. The variety of different spell types and abilities, the enemy variety, the different combat scenarios, the encounter design... all of this is very, very good. If not for the low difficulty, this would be a game that forced you to plan each fight by taking into account enemy resistances, abilities, placement etc., and I think with a few mods or an added difficulty level, this could be something truly special.

I don't know anything about the quality of the 'good' companions as I killed all of them and went with a core party of Astarion, Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Minthara (I know they're not all technically evil, but they're the ones who at least don't object to my evil shenanigans). I like all of them well enough. Astarion is flamboyant and campy as shit, but that makes him fun to me, and it seems very intentional. Shadowheart does suffer from a bit of cognitive dissonance what with being all nice but nominally a Shar follower, but I don't care that much. I take her as being somewhat of a True Neutral character. Minthara and Lae'zel are cool too. I think Lae'zel is the closest we get to a lawful evil companion, being all merciless and power hungry but with a certain code of ethics. It's hard to get such a character right, so props to Larian for that. Minthara is just a straight up bitch, but in a good way. I like how even she has an ounce of depth that goes beyond muaha evil when you ask her about her background, and that she's weak and pathetic when you find her in the Moonrise Towers. The companions are all solid 7/10's to me.

In terms of character writing in general, I think most characters are squarely in the 'average' category (and not teh worst thing evar), with Raphael being the most fun and well written out of all of them. Speaking of Raphael, that guy should have been the main antagonist. This game suffers from not having an Irenicus or Sarevok, and Raphael would have absolutely been the best candicate to fill out such a role. With a few re-writes, he could have been the guy behind the entire plot instead of Orin, Gortash and Thorm, who are ok, but are introduced way too late to be memorable. Out of those three Orin had the most potential, but not much was done with her.

The music is OK. There are a few tracks that stick in my mind, like that one theme in the Underdark which is delicious (The Underdark is the best area generally, with the cursed lands of Act 2 being the worst), but most of it seems like mood setting ambient stuff to me more than an actual score. Kiril Pokrovsky is still sorely missed. However, the production quality of all the music is high and it succeeds at setting the mood for each area, so I'm fine with it. BG1 still has the most memorable main theme out of all the games, and the main theme here doesn't compare. No, I don't want to meet you down "down by the river", thank you very much (any of the tracks featuring actual vocals are cringe as fuck, except maybe for the one that plays against Raphael, which is so cheesy it becomes good).

Graphics and production values are mostly top notch. Not much to say I guess.

Romances are bad. No, I don't want to have sex with the Emperor you weirdos. What I dislike about romances in these games is that they come out of nowhere and are tied to the player's sexuality instead of the NPC's. Astarion is gay if you're gay, etc. This is not how you do solid character writing. Characters should have their own preferences and personality traits and if the player doesn't fit what they'd find attractive, the romance should not happen. BG2 actually got this right. Contrary to Codex opinion romances can be good, but they require way more sublety and patience to execute than what Larian did.

I'll end it by saying this: This is the first game in a long time that sucked me in for 120 hours and fucked up my night's sleep because I couldn't put it down. It doesn't happen that often anymore. I give it 8 cynical codexians out of 10.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bronze Age Mindset (2018)

https://www.pcgamer.com/thanks-to-a-bug-players-have-found-a-realm-of-naked-men-in-baldurs-gate-3/

Thanks to a bug, players have found a 'realm of naked men' in Baldur's Gate 3​

Bug or feature?

We've been making jokes about Baldur's Gate 3 being a horny game, though frankly I think it could be even hornier. I did not, however, expect it to contain a row of naked men who can spontaneously appear and just stand there looking vacant.

Players have stumbled onto this bug in various ways, usually while having a long rest, sometimes in co-op, and sometimes when one player gets disconnected. While the player-characters sleep on their bedrolls, dreaming about the mysterious guardian who protects them from being turned into mind flayers, six butt-naked gentlemen stand protectively over them in a line—a couple of them with their feet in the campfire, which they don't seem to mind.

This bug's also been encountered during character creation. What one player has dubbed the realm of naked men can become visible to the left of the spot your PC stands while you customize them, this time a gang of eight human men who hang out in a little cluster around a single fully clothed dragonborn—who looks like the default appearance if you choose to play as the Dark Urge. Maybe these mannequin men are used to store customization options as you flip back and forth between choices?

Behind them is a pocket of the dream guardian's realm, which looks like a bunch of floating islands. Since character creation ends with the option to personalize your guardian, perhaps these placeholder pals are also used to store customization choices for them. Which might explain why they're showing up in camp during long rests, having been evicted from their home while that space is used for one of the dream guardian scenes.

Or maybe they serve some other purpose. Larian said on Twitter "they also silently judge your character creation choices, but don't tell anyone about that." Look, Larian, if I spend half an hour trying to make my guardian look like Karl Urban that's my choice and I won't be shamed by you or your squad of weird naked dudes.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Btw, after Patch 3 the performance in the city and ACT3 in general is MUCH better.
Is Act 3 finished yet?
No, of course not.

Yeah I'm sure they'll get right on fixing a problem that x% of players won't even make it to, and that has barely any perceptible impact on either their critical or financial success.

Let's face it. Act 3 is as good as it's gonna get. How are they going to fix fundamental issues in their story structure and c&c anyways?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Tactician Plus

Stronger Bosses and Enemies

Lethal AI Enemies

True Initiave

Level Curve Adjusted

The overall effect of these mods is that the tactical aspect of the game becomes more important. Positioning will matter. Misty Step becomes your bread and butter. Druids and their unrivaled battlefield control become more desirable.

All these mods should be installed for a 5e veteran

Best crpg ever made with all of those, the ending will ever be more bittersweet after all the hard earning glories achieved.

And ofc the best battle music ever, specially sweet when you achieve victory from the jaws of defeat

— Fuck the Codex

MerchantKing

Learned
Tactician Plus

Lethal AI Enemies

True Initiave

Level Curve Adjusted

The overall effect of these mods is that the tactical aspect of the game becomes more important. Positioning will matter. Misty Step becomes your bread and butter. Druids and their unrivaled battlefield control become more desirable.

Best crpg ever made with all of those, the ending will ever be more bittersweet after all the hard earning glories achieved.

And ofc the best battle music ever, specially sweet when you achieve victory from the jaws of defeat

— Fuck the Codex

"It's a good game if we mod it first!"

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Tactician Plus

Lethal AI Enemies

True Initiave

Level Curve Adjusted

— Fuck the Codex

ok the other version then dumbass

shitty retardation you on tho, retard, you not funny btw and didnt you self ejject nerd? piss off and never quote me again peasant

MerchantKing

Learned
Gonna quote you again.
Tactician Plus

Lethal AI Enemies

True Initiave

Level Curve Adjusted

— Fuck the Codex

ok the other version then dumbass

shitty retardation you on tho, retard, you not funny btw and didnt you self ejject nerd? piss off and never quote me again peasant

To quote Atleticano verbatum:

"I'm mad that I'm a dumb goy and can't be as smart as one of G-d's chosen people."

"I'm dumb enough to pay for a user tag that says I'm dumb."

"It's a good game if we mod it first! Just like Skyrim!!!"

racofer

Thread Incliner
Camera, movement and UI are worse than in NWN2.
Inform racofer, he must know.
So I "got" the game for a test drive.

Holy fuckballs. I cannot believe that 17 years later, somehow, people found a way to make something worse than NWN2's camera.
  • Panning the camera unfollows your selected character, have to hit a key (home) at the other side of the keyboard to re-center, or double-click the portrait;
  • Environmental objects that obstruct your view will only partly fade-out once you get closer to them;
  • Some environmental objects like walls above doors will not fade-out at all;
  • Have to tinker with the camera position all the time to see stuff in the game, reinforcing the aforementioned issues;
  • Cannot zoom out far enough to get a decent view from ranged enemies hitting you from across the screen;
  • Cannot highlight most objects to find stuff;
Not the mention the shitbad WoW UI.

FA7

Educated
Holy fuckballs. I cannot believe that 17 years later, somehow, people found a way to make something worse than NWN2's camera.
Native camera tweaks is what you need. It's bit of a hassle to set up to exactly suit one's individual needs, but even basic camera unlock is a blessing. Increasing max distance or changing fov requires manually editing .toml file, and in order to work it also needs something called native mod loader, but it's worth it imo.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
sick how bois are. a man tell em fuck off but they need they just need to be the bratty fuckbois they are to their man right? im not gay bro

fuck off you absolute quirky weirdo boi, im not these weirsos you see here in droves, now sush, never want to see you again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom